November 29 - Friday Highlight is here! Check it out!
November 27 - Stuff Pack theme and gameplay vote results are here! Check them out!
November 25 - We just released a patch for The Sims 4 on PC/Mac - click here for more details.

Necroposting Rule - Add your questions here for the Forum Moderation Team

2...Next

Comments

• lisasc360lisasc360 Posts: 13,492 Member
    Kathykins wrote: »
    I would love to see the date of the original post on the main page as you view the subject matter. Getting into the thread is the first place you see a date, sadly. And sometimes, people have already posted inside the thread, so that the time stamp is on the main page, making it appear current. This would greatly help people avoid the necro-posts, I believe. Thank you for your kind attention.

I'd love the dates to be more visible within the posts as well, both the original post and any replies. If someone is searching via Google, find what they looked for and click the link, they will end up IN the post itself, not whatever forum/sub-forum that contains said post. The date of the post should be the first thing they see, it needs to be more clearly visible.

If the threads are left open and not archived, someone is bound to post a reply even after months or years, and they end up locked anyway. Isn't it possible to set up the forum to auto-archive threads older than XX months? Make them read-only?

@Kathykins, They did that about 3 years ago when SimGuruDrake was still here. She had it set up to lock threads that was from January 2015 and older that hadn't had any new comments in them at that time, but have since then decided against doing it like that as the threads over in the Creative Corners also got locked as well. And when that happened, we still had some of the original posters who had started a thread that they posted in for a while and then took time away from the forum that came back and wanted to continue to post in it found out that they couldn't. And when that happens, then the OP has to ask one of the community managers to unlock their thread so that they could continue to post in it and do updates on their builds/stories. So they decided to not to auto-lock the threads so that the threads over in the Creative Corners don't get locked as well.

So the community managers would rather be informed when it happens so that they can look at them and decide for themselves if the thread needs to be locked. I have seen old necroed threads that wasn't locked as it could still be relevant to the players but most of the time, they've been locked. I have seen old necroed threads that was bumped by new members where the community manager might close the thread and have the new comment/s removed and placed into a new thread so that others can't post solutions to the older comments as some of us might not see the original date of the thread.
  • Simsister2004Simsister2004 Posts: 3,436 Member
    I think that the devs ought to concentrate on real problems rather than about if anybody places an answer in an older thread. Because doing just that proves, that an issue still exists rather than you should let it be forgotten.
  • Seera1024Seera1024 Posts: 3,364 Member
    The devs aren't the ones who moderate the forums and close necroposts.

The problem is with the way the game patches, old threads that haven't been posted on are posted related to a game most likely that's several patches out of date. Or the question in the thread has long since been answered or is way too old for the OP to probably still need an answer (Like what should I name my heir's baby - after 3 years, that problem is probably already solved).

And technical or game glitches can be better judged on a game that's fully patched. Remember most people don't read a huge thread and will just read the first few and then post. A new thread helps cut out the effects of that. You can always post a link to that older thread for reference.
    Ok, but one of the problems is, that in older days, we always were prompted to an older thread, if one existed and asked to search for the issue, before we posted a new thread. I am NOT talking about naming a baby or something like that. What I am really talking about is old/new codes for the game, technical help with issues and such. On this forum we have a nice lady called Rose, who is very helpful with all kinds of issues.

And new things are coming all the time. A new patch can bring back some old problems.
  • ChazzzyChazzzy Posts: 4,573 Member
    edited April 27
    I feel you, OP.

If someone made a thread in 2017 about their struggles with the toddler high chair, we can ALL still relate to that problem in 2019 because it still exists. So I don’t see anything wrong with keeping a thread like that open if the issue still persists.

Unfortunately, it seems as though they only take the date into consideration, not the subject.

I’ve seen threads closed that were made in November 2018 lol that’s not even a full year, so idk what timeframe they’re going by! Also it could be different for each moderator. Smh too many variables for my taste.
    Origin ID : ChazzzyGOAT
    Recommended Mods : http://chazzzygoat.tumblr.com
  • Jordan061102Jordan061102 Posts: 3,424 Member
    Yeah I have too agree with this. But the worst is in the french forum, it's very the police there. The reason why I post here.
    Lu4ERme.gif
  • Seera1024Seera1024 Posts: 3,364 Member
    Ok, but one of the problems is, that in older days, we always were prompted to an older thread, if one existed and asked to search for the issue, before we posted a new thread. I am NOT talking about naming a baby or something like that. What I am really talking about is old/new codes for the game, technical help with issues and such. On this forum we have a nice lady called Rose, who is very helpful with all kinds of issues.

And new things are coming all the time. A new patch can bring back some old problems.

I've not seen that on these forums at all where people were referred back to old threads that would be considered necroposting today. Maybe on one of the other language forums they did that, but not on this one.

Technical issues should always be posted to a new thread unless there's one that is still active (ie: you wouldn't be necroposting to post in it). This goes for any game or software you use. Too many people don't read the entire thread and would likely just reply "Well patch on X date fixed it, please patch.", meaning that if a later patch broke it again, no one would get the memo and the tech people would just pass over it as "we've fixed that already". Posting in a new thread will prevent that. You can link to that old thread for reference, but post in a new thread.

Yes, if a thread that hasn't been posted in in a while that's not dependent on patch level for relevance like high chair problems if people are actually discussing it, shouldn't be locked for necroposting unless there's a newer thread opened as well for the exact same issue (no point in 2 active discussions on the same exact thing). They can calm down on that if they are doing that.

But technical issues and anything that would be patch dependent should be locked if necroposted since anything in them is likely not relevant anymore. Or it would be worth making a new thread over to avoid issues I've already touched on.
  • friendlysimmersfriendlysimmers Posts: 6,321 Member
    i totaly agree with this i can say when necroposting older threads it push away newer ideas or topics that where recently posted
    http://friendlysimmers.forumotion.ca/

http://delightfulsims.net/index.php

Please note that forums are in maitnance mode

Repose en paix mamie tu va me manquer :

1923-2016 mamie :'(
  • jackjack_kjackjack_k Posts: 8,592 Member
    I think the moderators forget that people find threads via the Search feature and of course, Google.

So they take it as "I'm bumping this thread to be annoying" when really it's "I found this thread and want to partake in the discussion".

I saw a thread that was closed for "necroposting" yet it was just a Simmer updating their own thread of their house builds.

Too far imo. Can we maybe have an adjustment to the rules @EA_Lanna so that it only applies to people trying to spam/go off topic/pick a fight or beat a dead horse?

If it's just a normal discussion does it have to end and start somewhere else if its the same discussion?
    edited April 28
    But what I really want is, that the moderators did a better job, finding out what was needed, and in my opinion some of the older threads can be very useful, especially to new players. I mean, that people can be new to the game, if they just bought it, right?

Apart from that I also don't like the word itself: "necroposting". It reminds me of the silly character we meet in the game, when our dear sims leave us.
    nbTvugI.jpg

I would prefer a lovely angel like my avatar here.
    Well any tech threads that either get necroed or created gets locked anyhow as the team would prefer that all bugs and glitches be posted over on the AHQ site so that the development team can have all issues in one place and not on several sites.

I'm glad that they lock old outdated threads especially old TS3 threads that get's bumped up by TS4 players who's new to site or when someone comes along and adds their solution to a thread from 2009 when there's already a handful of players who's already posted the same solution in a timely manner. We got TS4 players looking for threads that may have the issues as their game and will post in them without looking to see if the thread is about TS3. Or we get TS4 players bumping up old TS3 threads to post a TS4 cheat in that they've just discovered in the game thinking that it's a new cheat for TS4 when in fact it's an old cheat from when the game came out in 2014.

If anyone has any concerns and or questions about necroeposting, then they should be added to this link and tag EA_Rtas or EA_Mai to their post so that they can reply back to any questions or concerns about the topic.
    https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/946944/necroposting-rule-add-your-questions-here-for-the-forum-moderation-team#latest
    If you ask me, I am even not able to write in a proper English, and I don't understand half of what you are writing here. What other users have made for mistakes using the forum shouldn't be a reason to punish all other users. We in Denmark are feeling enough punished having our forum shut totally down. Now we can't even read and help other Danish players if they have trouble with the game. and most of them are as bad at English as I am. I still don't get it, the WORD. I think I'll list it under swearing or bad language: Necroposting, that's just too mean.
  • igazorigazor Posts: 17,635 Member
    edited April 29
    For whatever it is worth, "necroposting" is a very common term of the trade (forum management) in English. I know some people are uncomfortable with the word's roots if they are not used to seeing it, but it is very widely used on all kinds of forums. They didn't make it up or choose an obscure word for us here and I am certain it is not meant to make anyone feel bad.

None of the members who add onto older threads here, which then get locked or otherwise, are in trouble or punished in any way just for that unless they are doing this to dozens or hundreds of threads on purpose only to be disruptive or are just posting nonsense for no apparent reason. The thread locking is merely administrative. It's just like flagging a post to get a moderator's attention, we can even flag our own posts to do this, with no harm done or anything being "counted" as against us.

What the moderators would prefer, I am sure, is if a member who has already gone beyond New Member status wishes to extend a much older, existing conversation they have found that already exists is that they start a new thread on the appropriate sub-forum board that links to the older one. I know that doesn't seem very efficient, but at least it would keep the new information and the older perhaps not so much accurate anymore input in separate places. At least, I find it difficult to believe the moderators would mind if we did things that way.
    Post edited by igazor on
    786acphb0viikee4g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net
  • HejixHejix Posts: 1,048 Member
    They're waaaaaay too enthusiastic about closing threads. As if it's the only moderating they're allowed to do and they want to feel useful...
    I want to play ALL the premade families! One day...
    Thank you Hejix, just my words. And I still consider a better sounding word for "necro......." To me it is bad language. I would like to make an English word for this: "Backposting".In my ears/eyes a word starting with "necro" simply means something with death and funeral. I have had enough of that in my life, especially lately. :(
  • king_of_simcity7king_of_simcity7 Posts: 23,717 Member
    It depends on what the thread is. If someone bumps an old TS3 thread asking 'will we get Pets in TS3?' then that is a very outdated thread but those created after 2016 are still considered recent.

I thought that there was once a rule where threads could auto close if they had no activity after a certain time.

Maybe auto close threads with no replies after two years and if anyone has an issue they could start a new thread. In that case the issue could also be that the issues still exists while the former thread would include some issues that are resolved
    Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg
  • EA_MaiEA_Mai Posts: 1,151 EA Community Manager
    edited April 29
    Hey there!

Thanks everyone for sharing your questions :)

First things first, let's avoid confusion: I've merged a thread into this one (thanks for sharing the link @lisasc360 !) as the topic was the same.

Many of your questions are already covered in this great guide by EA_Lanna: Necroposting - please, check it out and let me know if that doesn't help.

Adding to that:
    And I still consider a better sounding word for "necro......." To me it is bad language. I would like to make an English word for this: "Backposting".In my ears/eyes a word starting with "necro" simply means something with death and funeral.
    @igazor was totally on point here:
    igazor wrote: »
    For whatever it is worth, "necroposting" is a very common term of the trade (forum management) in English. I know some people are uncomfortable with the word's roots if they are not used to seeing it, but it is very widely used on all kinds of forums. They didn't make it up or choose an obscure word for us here and I am certain it is not meant to make anyone feel bad.
    'Necroposting' is not a term we came up with, but very common in forums. We use it because it's a term many of you will be familiar with already, and using a different word exclusive for these forums would only bring confusion.
    For members who are not familiar with the term, I understand it can sound weird at the beginning - but once you learn what 'necroposting' is in here, that's useful knowledge for any other forums as well :)
    You are underestimating us a bit here :D We are aware most of the time necroposting happens because members found the thread by searching, and we know most of the time necroposting is unintentional. This is why when we need to close a thread for this reason, we link our guide on Necroposting - so people can learn about it and try to avoid it in the future.
    Intentional or not, reviving old threads (exceptions apply) is not beneficial for the community, and that's why the necroposting rule is in place.
    Generally, threads in the creators corner are good examples of exceptions to this rule. If you remember which thread this was, please, send me a direct message with the link and I'll be happy to review it. We are humans as any of you, and we can make mistakes as well.
    Maybe auto close threads with no replies after two years and if anyone has an issue they could start a new thread. In that case the issue could also be that the issues still exists while the former thread would include some issues that are resolved
    The main problem with auto-closing is that we wouldn't be considering all those threads that are 'timeless', like stories and feedback threads, for example. Also, there's not a hard timeframe for what's considered 'old' - this varies depending on the circumstances.
    What the moderators would prefer, I am sure, is if a member who has already gone beyond New Member status wishes to extend a much older, existing conversation they have found that already exists is that they start a new thread on the appropriate sub-forum board that links to the older one. I know that doesn't seem very efficient, but at least it would keep the new information and the older perhaps not so much accurate anymore input in separate places. At least, I find it difficult to believe the moderators would mind if we did things that way.
    If you know you are about to necropost in a thread that we will close later, sure, this would totally work. I do this sometimes ;)

For example, let's say you want to discuss toddlers in The Sims 4, and you find an interesting thread where no one replied since 2015. Replying to such an old and outdated thread (toddlers weren't even in the game back then) would be necroposting. Instead of posting in there and notifying everyone in the process, it would be best if you open a new one. You can perfectly start your thread by linking the old one if you think this would be beneficial in any way.

Hopefully I didn't forget anything! ;)
    Post edited by EA_Mai on
  • igazorigazor Posts: 17,635 Member
    edited June 10
    i hope PrincessRey never gets moderator status
    This forum is moderated by EA staff. I don't think you have much to worry about in that regard. :)
    786acphb0viikee4g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net
  • RockyRomRompantRockyRomRompant Posts: 4 New Member
    hello, new member here. i joined to make a suggestion for something that really bugs me in the game, i assume i cant create posts because i am a new member so i tried to search for my idea and other people have had it but a very long time ago. Would commenting on those suggestion posts be nercro posting?
  • EA_MaiEA_Mai Posts: 1,151 EA Community Manager
    edited July 24
    hello, new member here. i joined to make a suggestion for something that really bugs me in the game, i assume i cant create posts because i am a new member so i tried to search for my idea and other people have had it but a very long time ago. Would commenting on those suggestion posts be nercro posting?

Hi @RockyRomRompant, welcome to the forums! :smiley:

For discussions in the Feedback and Ideas Corner sections, it wouldn't be a necropost if the feedback/ideas in them are still relevant. If so, feel free to add your voice to Feedback or Ideas corner discussions :)

How to know if still relevant? Ask yourself the following: has the feature you are going to share your thoughts about changed a lot since the topic was opened? If so, the feedback already in the topic is probably outdated and it would be best to search for a more recent discussion or open a new thread about it when you become a member.

For example, let's say you have some feedback about toddlers. The Sims 4 has changed A LOT since 2014 when it comes to toddlers - bumping a thread from before toddlers were in the game would be considered necroposting as the feedback in there is most likely outdated.

Hope this helps but if you are still unsure - would you like to share the link to the topic with me?
  • alys10193alys10193 Posts: 1 New Member
    GAME PACK REQUEST!!!

One of my most favorite thing from Sims 3 was the Pets pack with horses! I can afford one myself but I am OBSESSED! Can we please get a new Pack of Horses as you did for Vampires?
    alys10193 wrote: »
    GAME PACK REQUEST!!!

One of my most favorite thing from Sims 3 was the Pets pack with horses! I can afford one myself but I am OBSESSED! Can we please get a new Pack of Horses as you did for Vampires?

@alys10193, it'll be best to post your idea in one of the many threads over in The Sims 4 Ideas Corner as this thread is about necroposting on this site... ;)
    https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/categories/the-sims-4-ideas-corner
  • MadameLeeMadameLee Posts: 31,385 Member
    So what if a newbie needs help with something because they can't post a new thread, they don't have a choice but to nercopost an old one? I mean I get the reason why newbies can't post right away (anyone remember the troll from Sims 3 time?)
    kikWQMd.jpg