Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

We are getting a new feature in "NEAR FUTURE"!

Comments

• meeounmeeoun Posts: 2,173 Member
    It's create a style.
    Not that big of a deal IMO, really.
  • horror_obsessedhorror_obsessed Posts: 21 Member
    As long as they update something other than the gallery, I'll be pleased.
  • drake_mccartydrake_mccarty Posts: 6,115 Member
    meeoun wrote: »
    It's create a style.

Grant literally said like a month ago that CASt is not going to happen. We can still dream for the future, but Sims 4 will retain its horrible swatch setup for the rest of its development.
  • keylimepiesimskeylimepiesims Posts: 1,908 Member
    I wasn't able to watch the live stream. So i watched it on twitch after the fact. And at the end when Grant said he had an announcement it was cut off.

He was trolling. He has done that before

Isn’t it hilarious! Almost as funny as watching a cat ride a roomba, or talking to your toilet! Grant sure cracks me up. :joy:
  • KatieSimKatieSim Posts: 71 Member
    edited August 2018
    I’m sure I read a tweet a few weeks back saying that they’d need to research how sims would walk up/down spiral stairs- maybe they’re finally getting on that :p
  • ShinzenShinzen Posts: 250 Member
    new feature for the sims 4, coming september 2021
    200px-MW-misc-House_Telvanni.png
  • MidnightAuraMidnightAura Posts: 5,809 Member
    I wasn't able to watch the live stream. So i watched it on twitch after the fact. And at the end when Grant said he had an announcement it was cut off.

He was trolling. He has done that before

Isn’t it hilarious! Almost as funny as watching a cat ride a roomba, or talking to your toilet! Grant sure cracks me up. :joy:

About as hiliarious as root canal ;)
  • SimTrippySimTrippy Posts: 7,651 Member
    edited August 2018
    What I want:
    A memory system, new traits, more aspirations for kids, and mostly, a better integration between older packs' or base game content and features that were brought with newer packs.

With the latter I mostly mean the Parenthood interactions but I'm sure there are other examples I can't think of right now. Like, I would love it if I could influence / force my sim kids to take care of the pets (prompting them to give them whatever they currently need - food, a bath, a walk), hark the leaves, go play on the swing, put presents under the Christmas tree, stuff like that. I wish they would keep adding to this the way they have been adding to clubs.

What I think it is (not that I would mind these things, I just want them less):
    More updates to the gallery (after all, they have already confirmed these are coming) like the ability to add our own photos in the gallery, maybe something to do with love (online dating or a deeper attraction system maybe), or something for builders. Okay that last one, I do hope is coming for them eventually :)
  • meeounmeeoun Posts: 2,173 Member
    It's create a style.

Grant literally said like a month ago that CASt is not going to happen. We can still dream for the future, but Sims 4 will retain its horrible swatch setup for the rest of its development.

...2 years left of this, hopefully.
  • MEP199MEP199 Posts: 46 Member
    I hope it's something like memories, fears, attraction system, or improving the trait system... well, I can dream:P
  • filipomelfilipomel Posts: 1,693 Member
    I really wish they wouldn’t do this. They claim they want to be more transparent and open and honest with fans but yet they persist on teasing with vague statements. It’s the online equivalent of putting a few cats among the pigeons and watching the feathers fly. Once the hype train starts rolling full steam ahead, they are then quick to put the breaks on it by saying: “But don’t get hyped!” I mean come on, with that referenced tweet, what do they expect? They certainly don’t want people reading it and going: “meh” It’s a rather bizarre communication strategy. Talk of the game is becoming a focus rather than the game itself.

They can’t have it both ways. Be open and transparent like many other game companies are with future content or say nothing until you can reveal. Because they cannot complain when fans get upset with their current strategy of communication. Practise what you preach.

I'm starting to wonder if the community was happier before without this much communication. You're right, they can't have it both ways, but either way people will find something to complain about. The devs say nothing and people complain, the devs say something and people complain. They gave the community what they wanted in the best way they could deliver it, more communication and transparency, if the community isn't happy with these forms of communication then I don't know what to say really.
  • rudy8292rudy8292 Posts: 3,410 Member
    It's create a style.

...2 years left of this, hopefully.

Yeah time can't go fast enough. x)
  • iamtheskywalkeriamtheskywalker Posts: 2 New Member
    you guys think that the caribe free stuff, is a step to the next expancion "Caribe adventures"?
    filipomel wrote: »
    I really wish they wouldn’t do this. They claim they want to be more transparent and open and honest with fans but yet they persist on teasing with vague statements. It’s the online equivalent of putting a few cats among the pigeons and watching the feathers fly. Once the hype train starts rolling full steam ahead, they are then quick to put the breaks on it by saying: “But don’t get hyped!” I mean come on, with that referenced tweet, what do they expect? They certainly don’t want people reading it and going: “meh” It’s a rather bizarre communication strategy. Talk of the game is becoming a focus rather than the game itself.

They can’t have it both ways. Be open and transparent like many other game companies are with future content or say nothing until you can reveal. Because they cannot complain when fans get upset with their current strategy of communication. Practise what you preach.

I'm starting to wonder if the community was happier before without this much communication. You're right, they can't have it both ways, but either way people will find something to complain about. The devs say nothing and people complain, the devs say something and people complain. They gave the community what they wanted in the best way they could deliver it, more communication and transparency, if the community isn't happy with these forms of communication then I don't know what to say really.

Transparency definition:
    the quality of being done in an open way without secrets

Vs

We have a feature we're planning to release in the near future. Today and tomorrow we're conducting research on it to see how it works, what we need to tweak, and how to make it the best. Just peeling back the layer a little on how we do some things.
    4:49 PM - Aug 16, 2018

We can’t talk about future content.

I don’t agree the above is what people want. I don't even think being open and transparent is a strong point at this stage as referenced above. People will complain a heck of a lot less if communication felt more like a conversation and if they stopped this ridiculous charade. Other game studios manage to go off and work on their projects without feeling the need to make vague, nonsense statements on twitter. (I should know - my Husband works for one) and fans don’t self combust with no information.

This new way isn’t any better than not having a quarterly teaser. It’s worse. They may as well tweet: “Today we are working on new content and tomorrow. In other news Night follows day”

What would make me happy is if they kept their head down and got on with the day job and actually only told us information when they had solid information to share. Not this ‘We have exciting news- don’t get hyped!” Train they are riding. The community still wildly speculates, many are disappointed and the whole thing starts again a few weeks/ months. Why does the game need information constantly being drip fed to fans? Doesn’t that say a lot about the game itself? When the focus is on the hype surrounding the game but not actually the game itself?

I play lots of different type of games and this is the only game that needs this PR being constantly pushed. Most games speak for themselves.
  • JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member

No, people don't find 'something to complain about either way'. It's just that not everyone considers any form of using your voice or Twitter 'communicating' ("sharing or exchanging information, news, or ideas") No information or news or ideas have been shared here is the point of the post you're quoting, it's all just food for speculating and hyping again, and it's very thoroughly argumented why the poster thinks that too. It's just rude to dismiss that with an 'either way people will find something to complain about' just because you happen to be satisfied with the way they are communicating.

5JZ57S6.png
  • aprilroseaprilrose Posts: 1,832 Member

He loves to troll us with that.
    Simming for 19 years!
    Family Tree
    Playing Mod & CC Free

• KatieSimKatieSim Posts: 71 Member
    The new way of communication is definitely not transparent
    But It gets us all jumping on the hype train and going straight to the forums to talk/speculate about these things with other fans so I don’t mind. I love reading other peoples comments about what they think it might be :)
  • filipomelfilipomel Posts: 1,693 Member

Transparency definition:

Vs

We have a feature we're planning to release in the near future. Today and tomorrow we're conducting research on it to see how it works, what we need to tweak, and how to make it the best. Just peeling back the layer a little on how we do some things.

I don’t agree the above is what people want. I don't even think being open and transparent is a strong point at this stage as referenced above. People will complain a heck of a lot less if communication felt more like a conversation and if they stopped this ridiculous charade. Other game studios manage to go off and work on their projects without feeling the need to make vague, nonsense statements on twitter. (I should know - my Husband works for one) and fans don’t self combust with no information.

This new way isn’t any better than not having a quarterly teaser. It’s worse. They may as well tweet: “Today we are working on new content and tomorrow. In other news Night follows day”

What would make me happy is if they kept their head down and got on with the day job and actually only told us information when they had solid information to share. Not this ‘We have exciting news- don’t get hyped!” Train they are riding. The community still wildly speculates, many are disappointed and the whole thing starts again a few weeks/ months. Why does the game need information constantly being drip fed to fans? Doesn’t that say a lot about the game itself? When the focus is on the hype surrounding the game but not actually the game itself?

I play lots of different type of games and this is the only game that needs this PR being constantly pushed. Most games speak for themselves.

I'm going to be honest, I don't know where you got your definition of the term Transparency, all I can say is it doesn't match up with what I have found, I believe secrets and transparency to be two different things, you can be transparent and still hold back information, or as you I guess would call it 'secrets'. On the note of communication feeling like a conversation, I don't really know what to say besides mention the fact that the developers have been speaking a lot about certain topics regarding the development of the game lately. On the topic of comparing Sims/Maxis/EA to other game studios is like comparing apples to oranges, different games, different companies, different communities, different regulations and so on. When you say "What would make me happy is if they kept their head down and got on with the day job and actually only told us information when they had solid information to share," you have to remember that what makes you happy or unhappy isn't the same for everyone else, but also in regards to your statement, isn't that what it was like before? Waiting to announce something until there was solid information to share? And even then the community wasn't completely pleased, and to my recollection this whole 'We have exciting news- don’t get hyped' situation happened once if not maybe twice. If people wildly speculate and then get disappointing in the end I wouldn't say it's the devs fault, especially if they have openly spoken about what to expect, or where to keep expectations.

I feel like people are quick to forget that this new form of communication they are currently practicing is new to them as well, the devs themselves are learning and transitioning into this new form of communication, give them time to adjust. If the devs actively keep up with threads like this, or listen to feed back similar to what is mentioned in this thread I'm sure they will learn what methods are the best to communicate and deliver certain types of information.

JoAnne65 wrote: »

No, people don't find 'something to complain about either way'. It's just that not everyone considers any form of using your voice or Twitter 'communicating' ("sharing or exchanging information, news, or ideas") No information or news or ideas have been shared here is the point of the post you're quoting, it's all just food for speculating and hyping again, and it's very thoroughly argumented why the poster thinks that too. It's just rude to dismiss that with an 'either way people will find something to complain about' just because you happen to be satisfied with the way they are communicating.

My apologies if my statement sounded dismissive, I didn't intend for it to sound like that.

When you say "No information or news or ideas have been shared here... it's all just food for speculating and hyping again," I would disagree because Grant himself mentioned in the tweet the purpose of the tweet, "We have a feature we're planning to release in the near future. Today and tomorrow we're conducting research on it to see how it works, what we need to tweak, and how to make it the best. Just peeling back the layer a little on how we do some things", peeling back the layer a bit, giving us insight on how near future content is being handled at the moment. Of course speculation will arise from this, but he clearly stated what the purpose of the tweet was. Take what you will from his statement, to all their own.

Transparency definition:

Vs

I'm going to be honest, I don't know where you got your definition of the term Transparency, all I can say is it doesn't match up with what I have found, I believe secrets and transparency to be two different things, you can be transparent and still hold back information, or as you I guess would call it 'secrets'. On the note of communication feeling like a conversation, I don't really know what to say besides mention the fact that the developers have been speaking a lot about certain topics regarding the development of the game lately. On the topic of comparing Sims/Maxis/EA to other game studios is like comparing apples to oranges, different games, different companies, different communities, different regulations and so on. When you say "What would make me happy is if they kept their head down and got on with the day job and actually only told us information when they had solid information to share," you have to remember that what makes you happy or unhappy isn't the same for everyone else, but also in regards to your statement, isn't that what it was like before? Waiting to announce something until there was solid information to share? And even then the community wasn't completely pleased, and to my recollection this whole 'We have exciting news- don’t get hyped' situation happened once if not maybe twice. If people wildly speculate and then get disappointing in the end I wouldn't say it's the devs fault, especially if they have openly spoken about what to expect, or where to keep expectations.

I feel like people are quick to forget that this new form of communication they are currently practicing is new to them as well, the devs themselves are learning and transitioning into this new form of communication, give them time to adjust. If the devs actively keep up with threads like this, or listen to feed back similar to what is mentioned in this thread I'm sure they will learn what methods are the best to communicate and deliver certain types of information.

My apologies if my statement sounded dismissive, I didn't intend for it to sound like that.

When you say "No information or news or ideas have been shared here... it's all just food for speculating and hyping again," I would disagree because Grant himself mentioned in the tweet the purpose of the tweet, "We have a feature we're planning to release in the near future. Today and tomorrow we're conducting research on it to see how it works, what we need to tweak, and how to make it the best. Just peeling back the layer a little on how we do some things", peeling back the layer a bit, giving us insight on how near future content is being handled at the moment. Of course speculation will arise from this, but he clearly stated what the purpose of the tweet was. Take what you will from his statement, to all their own.

My definition is from the Cambridge Dictionary. https://dictionary.cambridge.org/dictionary/english/transparent

Before we had twitter teasers we had quarterly teasers and while I didn’t care for them they were a bit more solid than this current method. It may not be directly their fault this community gets hyped and jumps to conclusions but they are to a degree what EA made. Some people are starving for content and tweets like my example are a fish being thrown to a very hungry crowd. If when it came to the gallery business they had just said from the beginning they were making changes to the gallery or even announcing it was gallery related ahead of time, it would have been fairer, more honest and would have saved a whole lot of disappointment.
  • JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    edited August 2018
    @filipomel Thanks for the clarification, for me it makes a lot of difference reading the arguments now that make that you do appreciate the way they are communicating. That indeed is personal. I was mainly objecting to the statement people complain either way, not the fact simmers feel differently about what’s being revealed.

One could argue whether ‘peeling back a layer’ is being transparent. There is no doubt it’s food for speculation (this topic proves it, all people can do now is think of possible features and they go all over the place, from personalities to stairs to CAW to cars to CASt to open neighborhoods to better babies, and express their hope it will be that) and there’s also no doubt that the peeling back a layer so far has revealed nothing more than that there apparently is a layer covering something. That’s as transparent as frosted glass ;) Less, in fact, because through frost glass at least you can see a shape. We’re shown absolutely nothing yet.

For some that’s enough, they like this way of interacting with the devs and are happy there is some form of communication in the first place. But others don’t care about that part, they in fact are bothered by it and just would like to hear actual information. It really comes down to that I think ;) On top of this, it’s EA and the devs who keep telling us not to hype and not to speculate. And still they keep adding fuel to the fires this way. I find that confusing myself tbh.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • TerraTerra Posts: 1,353 Member
    sikasika18 wrote: »
    It just feels like the studio is so missmanaged and that they have no clue what they're really doing. I am not hyped and won't be because I have learned that this studio is running out of passion and that is never good.

Hmm. I actually feel like now they have people who are passionate about and enjoy the sims and want to continue releasing things that make it more fun and put a stop to the path they were on. We just need to give them the time needed to get things cruising in the right direction since the team is so small.

This mentioned “feature” might not be a game changer on its own but I bet it’s a move in the right direction.

With absolutely zero information on said feature I don’t see how you can reach that conclusion. For all we know this “feature” could be another trivial inclusion.

Also the people working on the game now, are mostly the same people who have been working on it for years. If they weren’t passionate about it for the last 4 years, then why would that all of a sudden change? If they were passionate about the game they would make it the best it could possibly be, which they have not so far and more than likely will not in the future with their teams being even smaller and more underfunded than before.

How do you know the funding each team receives, and how that's compared to the funding each team has received in every game of the franchise, and previous years of TS4's development? Unless you have numbers for all of those, there's no way to prove this and it's speculation on your part.

As regards the OP, I agree with @filipomel that the point of Grant's tweet was to show a glimpse of the process that new features go through when they are discussed by the team. A lot of people complain that the Gurus are ignoring them, or won't add XYZ feature because they're lazy/unwilling/out of touch with the fans, but a Tweet like this shows the long process new ideas have to go through before they are added to the game. They are always working on new features for TS4, which comes as no surprise because we know there will be another game pack or expansion pack in the near future - that part is not what makes the Tweet have new information.
  • aprilroseaprilrose Posts: 1,832 Member
    I hope it's some sort of new banking/inheritance feature.
    Simming for 19 years!
    Family Tree
    Playing Mod & CC Free

• domina89domina89 Posts: 221 Member
    I'm starting to wonder if the community was happier before without this much communication.

For me personally, I would rather speculate on what is going to be included in a known pack, instead of being kept in the dark completely with no idea what's coming. I think that is where the frustration is coming from in the community because the sims team throw out hints and build hype and then the release inevitably ends up being not what was expected, which causes disappointment. I prefer the way they did it in the past- tell us several months in advance what the next overall theme of the pack will be and then we can speculate from that. I don't understand the reasoning behind all the secrecy now. Just tell us and be done with it.
  • CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    edited August 2018

Transparency definition:

Vs

Sorry, I had to quote your whole post (I forgot how to just get part of it) but do you think these developers have never done any walk-throughs, interviews, or Twitch shows before? Most of them have been around since TS3 where the information flowed almost daily. I'm pretty sure they are very familar with how to communicate something to the community as they had plenty of practice before TS4. It is only TS4 that comes up with this stuff about not being able to talk about free content before it's released. They can talk about paid content anytime they want, if they choose to do so. Of course it wouldn't be wise I guess unless someting didn't work out, but saying this is a new way for them to learn to communicate is not what I would believe, it may be new (since TS4) to keep their mouths closed, but teasing without an actual tease isn't communicating it's bating. Transparent means just that, you can see all the way through, nothing blocked, hidden or secret.

ETA: I'm just going to add my two cents about the terms 'new' and 'learning' they have been on Youtube and Twitter and FB for four years now, what is there to learn? TS4 is four years old next month, don't you think it's about time we all stop making excuses for anything about this game or how they communicate.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • kaiwrysimskaiwrysims Posts: 1,532 Member
    I don't think the gurus are purposely holding back information from us, I'm pretty sure they want to tell us what they are working on. I think they have certain rules they have to follow with announcing stuff so they can't share certain information. So it would be between not sharing any sort of information at all or trying to share as much as they can without breaking any rules. Which is what I would say they are trying to do.

And I'm not going to disagree that it maybe causes over speculation and disappointment. To me I'm fine with it. It's cool to see what ppl think it's going to be. I mean it's fun speculation as long as everyone is aware that there's a huge chance it won't be what they're expecting.

But could they just say exactly what they are working on? It would be best if they could but clearly they can't. And because it says they are researching then I would guess that would mean they are trying to see if the feature can work in the game and how it can be implemented. In this case maybe it would be a good idea to not say what the feature is until later because I'm guessing that it's possible that it won't work or can't be implemented in the way they hoped it could. So after everyone gets hyped and starts saying "OMG spiral stairs is coming to sims 4" Then they have to come out and say "oop sorry can't be put in the game".

But they can also not say anything about researching a new feature and just say something later in development about what the feature is.

I think they are just trying stuff so maybe they won't do anything like this again or maybe they will. I think this is the closest we will get to "transparecy" with this game unfortunately. But I do expect maxis monthly to be more transparent. Like stuff that would be announced in quarterly teasers. But for free patches I'm not sure cause even those weren't in quarterly teasers.

I also think this new feature will take long. They have been working on our last update since February so I expect this new feature to come early next year or the end of this one.
    Check out my twitter and tumblr