Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Which cheats and why?

I was wondering: In your general gaming style, not counting challenges and so on, which cheats do you find essential to you for playing, and why?

(And on a side note, can someone PLEASE tell me how to use the testingcheatsenabled and freerealestate cheats now??? I'm not sure if I'm remembering how to utilize them wrong now (for some obscure reason)...Or if one of the recent patches has somehow messed such up in my game? Help! :'(

Which cheats and why? 153 votes

I don't play with cheats at all.
3%
vancanuckfan86Writin_RegFoxrox77Sigzy05Shinzenlazyjuniper 6 votes
I only very rarely use cheats. And then only for something one-time specific.
33%
Akl500PJaseTWSimGamer82joelygirlsims2simm621cornflake88Anmirlacchant86robyngravesNRoweLustianiciaChelleJoMirichajimmysnanAmeliasaurBlueSeaWavesSajahiSonata13SingerSvelnekaileripentogether 51 votes
I use some cheats occasionally to often in my gaming style
33%
SandySimCabelle1863TheLibrarySimgeordiescarlettLavasm77invisiblgirldrake_mccartystilljustme2crebo19ldmarkoJennygghunniboo1February11kirivianfoxx_fennecSerendipity38kittymeowkitty4118812Missmagoo2AlbaWaterhouse 52 votes
Cheating is neccessary to how I play.
18%
auroraael14Kita5399GalacticGalaprilroseBlkBarbiegalKathy090660SikoahGraceBloosmooMeteoraStormBoergeAarg61simgirl1010luthienrisingcatitude5LyrieEnkiSchmidtcoolsim9999999JojoMOMSTERHopeyStarrCupidmikamakimon 29 votes
Use ALL the cheats!
9%
LeGardePourpremissmani09MjstsmPirishfinoBagoas77taydevmintycupcakeBigCatlover26dreamprisonerElle_AnneladynightEvie0602BrexoxochozoboHoly_Cow 15 votes

Comments

• Options
    SimChessackSimChessack Posts: 182 Member
    I do Legacies. Cheating is only allowed under 2 conditions.

1. You can cheat down money if you move in a spouse who is "too rich."
    2. You can use a cheat to fix a bug, like ResetSims.
  • Options
    afai1261afai1261 Posts: 2,030 Member
    When moving a family into a new house, shift+ctrl+c should bring up the cheat window as usual and just type in freerealestate on. Testing cheats in Live mode is activated through shift+ctrl+c and typing testingcheats on.

To answer your question, I occasionally use skill cheats for my toddlers with the UI Cheats Extension mod, and also use it to cheat down motives if sims are too happy or boost friendships quickly. I don't use 'motherlode' as often as I used to, which is good :D
  • Options
    ShinzenShinzen Posts: 250 Member
    I don't use cheats at all other than the bb.moveobjects on, which I don't count because it's not part of gameplay. I just personally love earning everything in my game and having to work for simoleons to buy that house my sims always wanted as well as working hard to keep the needs up help me stay interested in the game.
    200px-MW-misc-House_Telvanni.png
  • Options
    NRoweNRowe Posts: 7,898 Member
    If I absolutely must, in order to get things rolling, I’ll use freerealestate. Usually it’s to enhance an established game and is for a side family or something.
    Or in the recent case of one YA move, it was to move the family back into their original house (I moved them all out in order to take some of the furniture with me, does that make sense?)
    I used the money cheat to take away most of the unexpected financial windfall my YA received from this process.

I use moveobjects all-the-time. Love it!
  • Options
    CupidCupid Posts: 3,623 Member
    I don't use them for personal advantage, but I use them to set up the world around my sims. I don't like for everyone to be a completely blank slate from the start. If I want a certain family in the neighborhood to be rich, or have someone be at the top of their career or maxed out in a certain skill, I'll cheat it for them as long as I won't be playing them.

I also use cheats to counter bugs when necessary.
    HdLHa3j.png
    (◡‿◡✿)
  • Options
    Kita5399Kita5399 Posts: 2,112 Member
    I do what I want :D
    I have never liked the term “cheating” in the Sims. How do you cheat in a game you can’t “win”? Anyway.. I just come up with how I want my stories to play out in my head, and “cheat” when needed.
  • Options
    simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,866 Member
    I have the UI extensions cheat and use it for adjusting motives. Sometimes I'll decrease the energy for my toddler and send her to bed when I want to concentrate on another sim. Or I'll increase motives on a sim if I want them to complete a task.
  • Options
    JC1979JC1979 Posts: 491 Member
    [quote="Cupid;c-16681671"]I don't use them for personal advantage, but I use them to set up the world around my sims. I don't like for everyone to be a completely blank slate from the start. If I want a certain family in the neighborhood to be rich, or have someone be at the top of their career or maxed out in a certain skill, I'll cheat it for them as long as I won't be playing them.

I also use cheats to counter bugs when necessary. [/quote]
    That’s exactly the reasons I use cheats. I like a variety of Sims in my neighborhoods.
  • Options
    Karababy52Karababy52 Posts: 5,952 Member
    I use moveobjects and showhiddenobjects all the time when building. I also will use the money cheat and the cheat to fill needs and disable their decay when moving in a tester Sim for builds. I also use headlineeffects off when taking screenshots. I have used cas.fulleditmode to fix disasterous looking townies and sometimes when one of my Sims ages up in an unfortunate way. I have used the cheat to change Sims' career outfits too if they come home in some outlandish get-up. Lastly, I've used the enablefreebuild cheat on hidden lots to build on them.

When the Never Needs Sleep reward trait was borked a long time ago and before they updated reward traits, I would use the fillmotive cheat on a Sim who had bought that reward whenever their sleep need went down. I didn't see it as cheating though, just allowing my Sim the perks of that reward as originally intended. I don't use that one now though.

Sometimes when necessary, I'll use the resetsims cheat when they are glitching/bugged. That happens rarely in my game though.

So yeah, I use cheats, but not excessively in gameplay, mostly build mode. Plus, they're all in-game available from testingcheats. I don't have any gameplay enhancing Mods and never have had any.

Happy Simming! <3
  • Options
    Atreya33Atreya33 Posts: 4,426 Member
    Kita5399 wrote: »
    I have never liked the term “cheating” in the Sims. How do you cheat in a game you can’t “win”?

Very well said. :)

As for my gameplay, I use some cheats regularly.
    • move objects for decorating purposes
    • full edit in CAS for townies, but only for their appearance and bodyshape.
    • I like to create neighbours and friends for my sims. I use free realestate or money cheats for those unplayed households.

For played households I never use cheats that help my sims to advance in skills, jobs, money or anything gameplay related.
  • Options
    HermitgirlHermitgirl Posts: 8,825 Member
    I use them to set up a home for a sim if it's "in character" for them to be rich off the bat. I'll use the build cheats on lots we can't normally build on if I'm feeling the need to redo a lot. I'll also use cheats to makeover sims now and then.
    I don't really consider it "cheating" either. It did use to be a self challenge for me to not use it but there are many ways to play and sometimes I try them out.
    I mostly would rather not cheat mostly because I like for these things to be in game options and I don't want to look up how to do it all of the time.
    egTcBMc.png
  • Options
    WooldropWooldrop Posts: 89 Member
    Depends on the save U am playing on. I use the usual building cheats. MOO and Unlock Items, etc for my builds. Money and skill cheats for setting up a world and townies. Depends on the storyline for each family I create. I usually create townies that I won't play but want them to be established. CAS full edit for prenades that need makeovers. They all have the same story eyebrows, I swear.. My legacy save uses no cheats unless the need to be debuged.
    Gallery ID: WoolDrop

My Creations Thread is HERE

Follow me on Twitter: @DropWool
  • Options
    Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,907 Member
    I don't chose to, but I don't have any problem with people who do.

How ever someone else wants to play their own game is really their business. LOL.

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....

• Options
    WildIrishBansheeWildIrishBanshee Posts: 2,105 Member
    I use cheats rarely to occasionally - usually just things like free real estate and CAS full edit mode. Otherwise, I enjoy making my sims work for everything!
  • Options
    MaggieMarleyMaggieMarley Posts: 5,299 Member
    edited August 2018
    I use “resetSim” quite a lot when an action either will not cancel or is taking too long to cancel.

I also use CAS.fulleditmode sometimes to see what my sims’ children will look like as adults.

Oh, I also used cheats to level up the XP of some vampires who I don’t play so that I could give them Sun immunity (I did this with Vlad, Lilith and the vampires from the trailer who I found on the gallery) - I wanted them in the background of my game and didn’t want them burning to death on me!
  • Options
    invisiblgirlinvisiblgirl Posts: 1,709 Member
    I almost always use the money cheat, because I'm not all that interested in rags to riches stories. I just want enough money to build the house and furnish it without counting simoleons. (This is really the dream doll house I always wanted as a kid.)

I occasionally use the bb.ignoregameplayunlocksentitlement or bb.showhiddenobjects to get a particular object, like the country bed or satellite dish. Mostly, I'm leery of any cheat requiring testingcheats to be turned on, and I never use the building cheats because I don't want Sims getting stuck or unable to access objects because things have been placed where they're not meant to be. Or worse, having my game crash because I've done something that the game isn't designed to do.
    I just want things to match. :'(
  • Options
    SikoahGraceSikoahGrace Posts: 1,399 Member
    I use them liberally. I usually use them to move gameplay along. I like family funds to take away money from my sims (like taxes). I don't like to watch my sims sleep. Also if I only have a short amount of time to play I usually do not mess with needs. I use them to build and to edit my sims to create a more unique townie.
    Also, try testingcheats true or testingcheats on. Leave the enabled out.
  • Options
    GamingTweetyGamingTweety Posts: 851 Member
    I use many cheats to make my game fit my storyline but I HATE money cheats.
    Gallery id: GamingTweety

Looking for some custom animations? Check out my youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKrWaxowK2vCzwkz6bEZRbg

Deviantart profile: https://gamingtweety.deviantart.com/
  • Options
    EnkiSchmidtEnkiSchmidt Posts: 5,341 Member
    My game is tory-driven, so I often need to adjust money up and down and between households. I also use cheaty mods like coffee giving more energy, naps being more powerful, faster showers, faster character value loss and faster eating (might let go of that last one). Overall it still feels balanced to me.

Another essential cheat is the one to set a sim's political views (left or right, with CL).
  • Options
    thesims3mermaidthesims3mermaid Posts: 180 Member
    I don't use a lot of cheats just the basic ones usually. testingcheats on, motherlode (and other money cheats), and sometimes I'll use the pregnancy speed up cheat.
    7Ar0t8G.png

Or do both and create yourself as a mermaid.
  • Options
    ami123ami123 Posts: 32 Member
    Sometimes I will use cheats (like the money cheat) to set up my game in the beginning - for example, if my family needs to be rich to fit with the storyline I'm creating in my head.
    However, I also enjoy using no cheats at all and earning everything in-game.
    It just depends on my mood really.
  • Options
    vancanuckfan86vancanuckfan86 Posts: 1,156 Member
    I don't use cheats in my game to keep it somewhat challenging - just a personal preference.
  • Options
    Cabelle1863Cabelle1863 Posts: 2,251 Member
    It really depends on what I'm doing. If I'm playing a sim that's just starting out, I won't cheat and will have them work at gaining skills & money. But if I've created a family that I have specific plans in mind, I'll cheat skills, money & career levels so that I don't have to do all of the building up before I can begin my plans for them.
  • Options
    RosalettaRosaletta Posts: 25 Member
    I like to play without cheats on the families I'm actively playing, with some exceptions. I often use money cheats to set money down, and sometimes to give them more money if it's a family I imagine as rich or I just want to give them a nice house. It also happens that I cheat their needs if I'm playing out a specific story. I have also cheated character values down on some occasions when I want a sim to have a negative character trait, because I often find it really difficult to actually get them all the way down.

I also use move objects, and freerealestate to move non-played sims into houses that would otherwise be empty.
  • Options
    drake_mccartydrake_mccarty Posts: 6,115 Member
    edited August 2018
    Cheats aren’t a necessity for the way I play but I do use specific ones quite often. They would be the move objects cheat, testing cheats, free real estate, and the full edit mode for CAS. I have a mod that permanently unlocks all reward items in buy mode so that would be considered cheating too I guess.