March 29th - It's time for our Friday Highlights! You can check them out here!
Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Nightshade: A SimLit || Final Update 8/17/23 || THANK YOU FOR 5 YEARS

Comments

• squirrelwithacupsquirrelwithacup Posts: 10,475 Member
    @squirrelwithacup You make me laugh all the time. Also super hot avi. :)

@TheAemaSimming I'm glad I make you laugh! Thanks. I agree, he is super hot. :lol:
    37oYgl3.png
    Nightshade: A Simlit || Blogspot || Forum Thread
    See exclusive content and stay updated about Nightshade on my Instagram page!
    Hey guys, here's the newest update for Nightshade! Read it here!
    37oYgl3.png
  • TheAemaSimmingTheAemaSimming Posts: 2,684 Member
    Oh Onyx... I feel so heartbroken for him. This chapter made my heart hurt. But hopefully it will lead to some character growth. :)
    Oh Onyx... I feel so heartbroken for him. This chapter made my heart hurt. But hopefully it will lead to some character growth. :)

@TheAemaSimming Whoops, mentioned the new chapter to you in the writers' lounge and didn't realize you'd already seen it! :lol:

Aww, I feel heartbroken for him too. Unfortunately, this is just part of how he has to grow up as a vampire. :( But I hope you know that I'm all about character growth, so anything that seems like it will lead to character growth probably does!
    37oYgl3.png

@TheAemaSimming Whoops, mentioned the new chapter to you in the writers' lounge and didn't realize you'd already seen it! :lol:

Aww, I feel heartbroken for him too. Unfortunately, this is just part of how he has to grow up as a vampire. :( But I hope you know that I'm all about character growth, so anything that seems like it will lead to character growth probably does!

I follow this thread so as soon as there's an update and I'm near a device I totally read it. :) I know you'll be slowing down soon but as the chapters come then shall I read. :)

And *hugs Onyx* it will be OK. We all go through our teenage traumatic phase and this too will pass. My involved less teeth but hey no judgement.

And to Amelia... I would have let him bite me too...

I follow this thread so as soon as there's an update and I'm near a device I totally read it. :) I know you'll be slowing down soon but as the chapters come then shall I read. :)

And *hugs Onyx* it will be OK. We all go through our teenage traumatic phase and this too will pass. My involved less teeth but hey no judgement.

And to Amelia... I would have let him bite me too...

Oh, okay! I'm flattered you like my simlit that much! :blush: I'm trying my best to keep churning out chapters as long as I can, but I will have to slow down soon. I'm hoping to get to a certain story point first, though.

I think everyone's involves less teeth. Well, mine involved a lot of teeth because I had braces. :joy:

Haha... wouldn't we all? I'd probably pay him $20 to bite me. Or more. Depends on how broke I am. :joy:
    37oYgl3.png
  • mamasquirrelmamasquirrel Posts: 2,065 Member
    You are doing such an awesome job! I always enjoy reading each chapter. You are a very talented. I think I see a future author! :)<3
    yXW40Hz.png?1
    You are doing such an awesome job! I always enjoy reading each chapter. You are a very talented. I think I see a future author! :)<3

Thanks mamasquirrel! <3
    37oYgl3.png
  • ChrinnieChrinnie Posts: 982 Member
    Drink from me only with thine eyes. Or your sharp teeth. Either way, apparently.
    Author of: The Rossi Legacy | The Inheritance
    mW8spBr.png
    Philadelphia raised, Las Vegas living, avid Sims 4 fan, all around nice guy (if you ask me LOL)
    Chrinnie wrote: »
    Drink from me only with thine eyes. Or your sharp teeth. Either way, apparently.

Either way is fine by me, Onyx. :joy: Okay, I'll stop now. That's enough "thirst" for one day.
    37oYgl3.png
    edited September 2018
    Chrinnie wrote: »

Double post. Whoops.
    37oYgl3.png
  • kiriviankirivian Posts: 1,074 Member
    @squirrelwithacup Finally all caught up! :) You know I'll need to re-read it as I do. But may I say? - beautifully written as always. You have a sensitivity for the feelings of your characters that is touching. Hitting the spoiler button in case anyone reading isn't caught up yet.
    The funeral really hit home ( I would be devastated if I lost my Grandmother) it was easy to empathize with both Amelia and Alexander in this. You capture the uncomfortable way people comfort each other when there really isn't anything you can say to offer the level of comfort needed. This comes across in your dialogue in my opinion and it genuinely moved me.

In terms of the progression of conflict in your narrative, it is certainly an eye-opening event for Onyx and Amelia in that it brings to life the very real fact that one of them will die and the other never will (unless something changes or some tragedy occurs). This is something they will have to deal with moving forward and it's interesting in my opinion that you chose to put it here in the storyline - right after a six year jump from that first awakening to their feelings for each other. I need to re-read and think more on the significance of that.

To understand the themes and address them in the next chapter I had to dig into my own darkness. The allure of the vampire world, in my opinion, is that it gives us an outlet to examine those darker parts which we all have in common. We want to be good, but are driven by necessity to commit acts we feel compromise our morality. This conflict occurring as it does for Onyx while he's a teen is so appropriately timed. It's during these youthful, formative years that our eyes are first opened to the concepts of "evil" (that some acts are committed because pleasure is derived from hurting or harming or simply misbehaving) and a sense that the world is really not a fair place, but the struggle with these themes is one that continues throughout one's lifetime (obviously).

Where do you draw the line? What can be taken at face value, even by someone you trust implicitly? At what point does the hurt or harm you are inflicting become "evil"? There's a lot going on here, and especially for young folk who are really only starting to move into these gray areas of adult interaction. As your reader, I ask myself did Onyx do the right thing, accepting Amelia's offer to drink from her? and what will be the long term effects of that very significant action? Will he feel resentment at some point because she unwittingly became a source of conflict for him? Will he become afraid to continue his friendship with her because she is so willing to give in to his darkness? How can he protect her from himself? did he just prove he couldn't?

And there are even greater questions and implications. Because he's a vampire does he get a pass? He needs to feed, but does that change the moral implication of doing it? even if he's invited? And because these are formative moments for him how will his overall self-image be affected? Will he go forward beginning to believe more and more that he is a thing of evil? and that he has no power to change it? This is something he will probably struggle with even if he never actually consumes plasma from a sim again. The point isn't whether or not he's evil because he acted on his "darkness". The question when examining himself is more likely is he evil because he has the desire to begin with, and was at least once compelled by his own needs to "harm" someone he loves. Of course these themes IRL are usually more about "coming of age", and the awakening of adult desires.Finally it's a beautiful touch that Amelia seems to recognize that conflict and the toll it is taking on Onyx in spite of her youth and the very strong feelings she has for Onyx to begin with.

The implications of this first feeding are also far reaching for Amelia. She may be worried, aside from her obvious concern for his distress, about very normal teenage concerns when dealing with the opposite sex. Does he like me that way I like him? Will he see this sacrifice (the offer to let him drink) as more than an act of friendship? Is it more than an act of simple friendship? Will the fact that I invited that intimacy make him think less of me? Will my offer step up my game? (to wit - will it tell him I am ready to move forward in this relationship?) and of course it would be very hard to believe that an astute young lady such as Amelia wouldn't also realize or wonder about the urges driving Onyx and their importance in comparison with his interest in her. Is his thirst more powerful than his libido? Now that his thirst is awakened, will she be able to live with either being a source of feeding that thirst or second fiddle to some other source that can? She would I think want to be an object of his greatest desire. Is his greatest desire now something other than what she had hoped it would be (her)? Will his interest shift from wanting to kiss her to wanting to bite her? Will he be driven by this very powerful thirst to bite others? and if so how will he feel about those others? It's pretty mind blowing how much is in this short encounter, but the way you wrote it, brought all of this up in my opinion - Bravo!
    Your story raises a lot of questions for these two and I look forward to seeing how they handle these issues in upcoming chapters.

Thank You. :)
    "You ask me if there'll come a time when I grow tired of you...Never, my love..." -The Association (1967)
    kirivian wrote: »
    @squirrelwithacup Finally all caught up! :) You know I'll need to re-read it as I do. But may I say? - beautifully written as always. You have a sensitivity for the feelings of your characters that is touching. Hitting the spoiler button in case anyone reading isn't caught up yet.
    The funeral really hit home ( I would be devastated if I lost my Grandmother) it was easy to empathize with both Amelia and Alexander in this. You capture the uncomfortable way people comfort each other when there really isn't anything you can say to offer the level of comfort needed. This comes across in your dialogue in my opinion and it genuinely moved me.

In terms of the progression of conflict in your narrative, it is certainly an eye-opening event for Onyx and Amelia in that it brings to life the very real fact that one of them will die and the other never will (unless something changes or some tragedy occurs). This is something they will have to deal with moving forward and it's interesting in my opinion that you chose to put it here in the storyline - right after a six year jump from that first awakening to their feelings for each other. I need to re-read and think more on the significance of that.

To understand the themes and address them in the next chapter I had to dig into my own darkness. The allure of the vampire world, in my opinion, is that it gives us an outlet to examine those darker parts which we all have in common. We want to be good, but are driven by necessity to commit acts we feel compromise our morality. This conflict occurring as it does for Onyx while he's a teen is so appropriately timed. It's during these youthful, formative years that our eyes are first opened to the concepts of "evil" (that some acts are committed because pleasure is derived from hurting or harming or simply misbehaving) and a sense that the world is really not a fair place, but the struggle with these themes is one that continues throughout one's lifetime (obviously).

Where do you draw the line? What can be taken at face value, even by someone you trust implicitly? At what point does the hurt or harm you are inflicting become "evil"? There's a lot going on here, and especially for young folk who are really only starting to move into these gray areas of adult interaction. As your reader, I ask myself did Onyx do the right thing, accepting Amelia's offer to drink from her? and what will be the long term effects of that very significant action? Will he feel resentment at some point because she unwittingly became a source of conflict for him? Will he become afraid to continue his friendship with her because she is so willing to give in to his darkness? How can he protect her from himself? did he just prove he couldn't?

And there are even greater questions and implications. Because he's a vampire does he get a pass? He needs to feed, but does that change the moral implication of doing it? even if he's invited? And because these are formative moments for him how will his overall self-image be affected? Will he go forward beginning to believe more and more that he is a thing of evil? and that he has no power to change it? This is something he will probably struggle with even if he never actually consumes plasma from a sim again. The point isn't whether or not he's evil because he acted on his "darkness". The question when examining himself is more likely is he evil because he has the desire to begin with, and was at least once compelled by his own needs to "harm" someone he loves. Of course these themes IRL are usually more about "coming of age", and the awakening of adult desires.Finally it's a beautiful touch that Amelia seems to recognize that conflict and the toll it is taking on Onyx in spite of her youth and the very strong feelings she has for Onyx to begin with.

The implications of this first feeding are also far reaching for Amelia. She may be worried, aside from her obvious concern for his distress, about very normal teenage concerns when dealing with the opposite sex. Does he like me that way I like him? Will he see this sacrifice (the offer to let him drink) as more than an act of friendship? Is it more than an act of simple friendship? Will the fact that I invited that intimacy make him think less of me? Will my offer step up my game? (to wit - will it tell him I am ready to move forward in this relationship?) and of course it would be very hard to believe that an astute young lady such as Amelia wouldn't also realize or wonder about the urges driving Onyx and their importance in comparison with his interest in her. Is his thirst more powerful than his libido? Now that his thirst is awakened, will she be able to live with either being a source of feeding that thirst or second fiddle to some other source that can? She would I think want to be an object of his greatest desire. Is his greatest desire now something other than what she had hoped it would be (her)? Will his interest shift from wanting to kiss her to wanting to bite her? Will he be driven by this very powerful thirst to bite others? and if so how will he feel about those others? It's pretty mind blowing how much is in this short encounter, but the way you wrote it, brought all of this up in my opinion - Bravo!
    Your story raises a lot of questions for these two and I look forward to seeing how they handle these issues in upcoming chapters.

Thank You. :)

@kirivian Thanks for your amazing and very in depth analysis! I look forward to answering all these questions in future chapters. :)
    37oYgl3.png
    And now for the next chapter of Nightshade! Read it here!
    37oYgl3.png
    Alright, here's a surprise SECOND CHAPTER of Nightshade for today! I've been looking forward to writing this chapter for several weeks now and I'm so excited to release it, so here it is... Chapter 17: In The Heat of the Moment
    37oYgl3.png
    Read them both. And now my break is over but AH!!!!! SO GOOD.
    Read them both. And now my break is over but AH!!!!! SO GOOD.

Glad you like them! :smiley: That unfortunate plot twist, though...
    37oYgl3.png
    I'm sorry I replied as quickly as I could. What I meant by 'SO GOOD' was really more like 'Oh the Drama is SO GOOD'.
    I really love that you left us at a cliffhanger. I have a feeling it's going to be a turn for the not so good which makes me anticipate and dread the next chapter in turns. But I am happy they admitted to the love between them. I was pretty sure but then again I know you can take creative license with this retelling so I wasn't sure it would ever really happen.

So yeah, that's my full thoughts on these updates.
    I'm sorry I replied as quickly as I could. What I meant by 'SO GOOD' was really more like 'Oh the Drama is SO GOOD'.
    I really love that you left us at a cliffhanger. I have a feeling it's going to be a turn for the not so good which makes me anticipate and dread the next chapter in turns. But I am happy they admitted to the love between them. I was pretty sure but then again I know you can take creative license with this retelling so I wasn't sure it would ever really happen.

So yeah, that's my full thoughts on these updates.
    Haha, of course it's going to turn for the not so good! That's not a spoiler, that's just blunt honesty... :) There will be a lot of things I do differently in this retelling, but Onyx and Amelia's romance is not one of them. <3
    37oYgl3.png
    edited September 2018
    And here it is... today's update of Nightshade, Chapter 18! Enjoy!
    37oYgl3.png
    Another amazing update Squirrel~! :) I have to wonder what will happen next but at the same time I like being left safe with each other if only for a moment. :blush:
    Another amazing update Squirrel~! :) I have to wonder what will happen next but at the same time I like being left safe with each other if only for a moment. :blush:

@TheAemaSimming Thank you! :) I'm excited to tell what happens next, but I think I like them being safe with each other right now, too. Far better than the storm that's coming... ;)
    37oYgl3.png
    Sorry it's a little late, but here's the next chapter of Nightshade! Enjoy!
    37oYgl3.png
    Ah! The mama drama! Another great upload. :) I love how you frame the shots. *bows* You are a master screenshotter!
    Ah! The mama drama! Another great upload. :) I love how you frame the shots. *bows* You are a master screenshotter!

Elaine is great at mama drama. :joy: And thank you! I honestly feel like my screenshots are kind of blah sometimes. :p
    37oYgl3.png