Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

What does the cat lover trait do?

I’m playing a sim with the cat lover trait for the first time and so far I’ve noticed no difference between her and other sims, and I don’t think there are any new socials like “talk about cats”. They have a cat, but she doesn’t actively seek him out or anything. Does the trait actually do anything?

Comments

• Options
    ShinzenShinzen Posts: 250 Member
    edited August 2018
    I noticed that with the cat and dog lover traits, the real noticeable difference is within the interactions. When interacting with a cat and dog respectively, or making the friendship higher, they gain really strong positive moodlets. I also noticed my dog lover sim became companions with the dog faster than my non-dog lover sim, which means the friendship goes up faster, I guess.

Dog/cat lover traits actually do also have a new friendly social with friends which is "Enthuse about cats/dogs"
    200px-MW-misc-House_Telvanni.png
  • Options
    Zeldaboy180Zeldaboy180 Posts: 5,997 Member
    It makes you post on the forums about romance and tropical island gamepacks.

Just teasing @catloverplayer :p
    e68338c368f106ae784e73111955bd86.png
  • Options
    MaggieMarleyMaggieMarley Posts: 5,299 Member
    Shinzen wrote: »
    I noticed that with the cat and dog lover traits, the real noticeable difference is within the interactions. When interacting with a cat and dog respectively, or making the friendship higher, they gain really strong positive moodlets. I also noticed my dog lover sim became companions with the dog faster than my non-dog lover sim, which means the friendship goes up faster, I guess.

Dog/cat lover traits actually do also have a new friendly social with friends which is "Enthuse about cats/dogs"
    Ah I hadn’t noticed those things. Thank you! I’ll have to pay more attention :)
  • Options
    afai1261afai1261 Posts: 2,030 Member
    They'll also (sometimes) autonomously get excited when they're near a cat and do an animation like this

7kt90Rb.jpg

In the interaction queue, it's called "Giddy" with a picture of the pet's face. Can't cancel it either. Dog lovers also do this with dogs :p
  • Options
    EgonVMEgonVM Posts: 4,937 Member
    Other thing I have noticed is that when they give their cat away, they'll get more powerful sad moodlet than sims without that trait. These sims also become extra sad when their cat dies (Moodlet is called Purr No More).
    Same with dog lover trait and dogs.
  • Options
    Aww that’s so cute. Maybe my sim isn’t doing these things because I gave her the cat lover trait in full CAS mode (so, I did cheat to give it to her). Thing is, she did originally have the cat lover trait (with no cheats), but I changed it to another trait. Then, I changed my mind and gave it to her again. So, she should be showing these responses. Maybe I’m too unobservant.
  • Options
    SiliCloneSiliClone Posts: 2,585 Member
    Dog and Cat Lover traits don't do much, that's why I'd like to have them as reward traits. I like for my sims to have those traits but they are a waste of space as cas traits.
  • Options
    mustenimusteni Posts: 5,406 Member
    I wish the traits did more, but I love the giddy animation :D Had to give it to my simself because I'm like that near dogs (even though I don't own one). In one family I have twin girls who are cat lovers, but haven't been allowed to get one. I like to make them enthuse about cats.
  • Options
    FinvolaFinvola Posts: 1,041 Member
    My self sim is a cat lover, I'm pretty sure she has a friendly social to talk about cats. From my observations (could be wrong) I don't notice any difference between the amount of attention they give to their pets over one without the trait. It looks to me like all sims fuss over the pets equally, but yes, they get the little "giddy animation" and more powerful moodlets from interaction with their furry friends. I think they also get more reward points for "feel the love" than regular sims? Speaking of the pet death moodlet, my sim got that before and her cat hadn't even died, nor any cat she had interacted with. I think it must have been a bug since the new update with everybody reacting to deaths whether they knew somebody well or not. All I know, was it wasn't her own cat or any strays she befriended or interacted with who died.
  • Options
    PinkPaws66PinkPaws66 Posts: 755 Member
    Oh, no! Purr no more made me cry! I am such a cat lover.
  • Options
    Thankfully my cat lover sim will never have to experience the purr no more moodlet as their cat is Mayor Whiskers, who they adopted when he was already a ghost!
  • Options
    loubyloulouloubyloulou Posts: 4,466 Member
    Aww that’s so cute. Maybe my sim isn’t doing these things because I gave her the cat lover trait in full CAS mode (so, I did cheat to give it to her). Thing is, she did originally have the cat lover trait (with no cheats), but I changed it to another trait. Then, I changed my mind and gave it to her again. So, she should be showing these responses. Maybe I’m too unobservant.

Hmm, if you 'cheat' traits in using the CAS cheat, I often find they don't really work that well so this could be why you're not seeing much of a difference. If you have Seasons, you could use the trait change aspiration reward (don't know what it's called!) which might work better?
  • Options
    @loubyloulou yes, that might be why. But, cat lover was one of her traits originally. I just cheated to get rid of it, then cheated to give it back to her lol. So, if cheating to get rid of traits doesn’t work then it should have remained there all along.

I might use the aspiration reward. I think there may also be cheat codes to give a sim a certain trait but I can’t find the exact code for cat lover.
  • Options
    Ah I have just played and you’re right. There is an “enthuse about cats” social. I just didn’t realise. I’ll have to keep an eye out for her doing the giddy animation. Having said that, I had a sim who was not a dog lover who would always do the giddy animation around her dog.
  • Options
    FinvolaFinvola Posts: 1,041 Member
    The "Purr No More" moodlet made me sad too, and I didn't even have a cat that died. I was like "Nooooooooo!" I looked and looked and looked. I am not playing my active household with aging on , so I knew it wasn't her cat. She had befriended a stray but he was very much alive and well (he's not a stray anymore, she adopted him). I think when I saw the cat mourning moodlet it was a glitch. She and her husband own a retail store and they were getting constant notifications about customers dying and it came up during one of those batches. It was definitely not a cat.

Then I had the opposite thing happen. I played another household with aging on and that family had a dog and nobody even reacted at all when she died. I guess it's only pet lovers who mourn? I was pretty annoyed because I was sadder about it than her her humans were.

And I adore Mayor Whiskers, he never has to worry about formal attire because he's always got his tux and top hat on. :D
  • Options
    @Finvola I had the same thing in a household of mine! The dog died and the only one who mourned was the toddler, who barely knew the dog but had seen him die. The mother was really close with the dog, but didn’t get any sort of sad moodlet. I think this is a bug, as in another household all the family mourned when a cat died and none of them were cat lovers.