March 29th - It's time for our Friday Highlights! You can check them out here!
Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Is it worth obeying the warning of only two expansions at a time?

Hi,

I downloaded TS3 and all my expansions yesterday determined to play again after some years, as my computer is better than the one I used to play on, and to my surprise I got a message on the launcher when trying to run the game warning me that to have a good performance or gaming experience I should only play with 2 expansions at the same time...

I was kind of surprised, because I don't remember this popping up before, and I would like those of you currently playing TS3 to comment on how many EP/SP do you usually run when playing and how well the game works.

Thank you!

Comments

• 1need4kaffee1need4kaffee Posts: 486 Member
    It depends on your computer. Nowadays most people don't have issues because they have upgraded since TS3 originally came out and the new computer can handle it. I would say ignore it and load up and see how it runs. Then if you have a problem, reduce the settings in options to see if you can get a good experience before removing packs. If you have issues and need to remove packs, most people are good with taking out either Pets or Seasons because those are the two heavy hitters. Good luck!
  • SimplyJenSimplyJen Posts: 14,823 Member
    edited August 2018
    The warning comes with patch 1.69 and everyone on this patch level sees this. I personally run with all packs if I'm not doing a challenge but that's because my computer has the hardware suitable for it.

As mentioned above, you can see how it runs for you and adjust settings accordingly. Another option is to post the specs of the new computer here and we can advise further on what it should handle. No matter what I always reccomend keeping the setting High Detail Lots low (1-4). The game is much happier when it doesn't have to render all of the surrounding areas.
    i7-13700K • 16GB • RTX 4070
    S3 simblr: http://simplysimming.tumblr.com/
    S4 simblr: http://simlogic.tumblr.com/
  • foxx_fennecfoxx_fennec Posts: 761 Member
    I have 4 expansions and keep them all enabled. Performance isn’t great on my computer (a 5-year-old laptop that doesn’t have a dedicated graphics card or other “high performance” stuff), but it isn’t bad enough for me to consider removing any EPs. Part of the performance drain comes from running a boatload of NRaas mods anyway.

Like the others said, lowering your graphics settings is a good idea for improving game performance, definitely something to try before removing any content.
    Origin ID: foxx-fennec
  • JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    I haven't installed the latest patch so I play with all 20 packs (and I also would if I did have patch 1.69), everything on highest settings. I do have a pricy desktop but it's worth it for me.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • MidnightAuraMidnightAura Posts: 5,809 Member
    I run the game with all the dlc, all the store worlds and a fair bit of store content. My game runs smooth with no lag. We do have two high end gaming rigs though which make all the difference.
  • ParyPary Posts: 6,871 Member
    My Pc is about mid-range, nothing flash, and I play with all EP's , SP's ( except Katy Perry ) and nearly all of the store, plus 2gigs of CC and everything on high / highest settings ( except high detail lots )
    My game runs very well and I don't have any performance problems. In fact, most of my game problems ceased when EA stopped smearing their grubby hands all over the game with their so-called patches.
    Sims 3 Household Exchange - Share your households!
    PoppySims Archive
    InnaLisa Pose Archive
    Devolution of Sims - a once customisable open world sandbox which has become a DLC Party catalog in a shoebox
    I ♡ Pudding
  • igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    edited August 2018
    I think the important thing here, or one of the important things anyway, is that when players see the Origin/1.69 Launcher produced warning for the first time they might think that their system has been scanned and evaluated in some way, and that the warning is intended for them in particular. It is not, as mentioned earlier, all players on Origin/1.69 see that message until they dismiss it with the "Stop Showing Me This" option.

I would say that the vast majority of NRaas users who make themselves known to us have most or all of the 11 EPs in play (the SPs don't really add any measurable overhead) by now, based on script logs brought to us for analysis and other discussions. And not all of us have state of the art gaming rigs, mine is sufficient for the entire game but not really a gaming machine by anyone's standards either.
    Post edited by igazor on
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net
  • megaluci00megaluci00 Posts: 32 Member
    Thank you all for your responses and advices.

I own 6 EPs and 1SP, and my computer is a little bit old now but still can run games well. An i7, 8GB RAM and 2GB of dedicated Nvidia graphics card I think are enough to play the sims. Have tried running the game with all expansions; after doing some adjustments and installing a few mods and for the moment everything is okay; although before the adjustments I could notice some lag. Will keep gaming, if something goes wrong I would comment it.
  • CharlottesmomCharlottesmom Posts: 7,015 Member
    edited August 2018
    I avoid 1.69 like the plague but I’m sure it would enlighten me that my old HP will implode at any minute if I had it. It is not a gaming laptop by any stretch but runs all EP’s/SP’s and 99% of the store like a champ, I never get lag as long as my library and bin are not super glutted! I refuse 1.69 on my gaming Alienware too...have everything on that one too, never an issue.
  • TadOlsonTadOlson Posts: 11,380 Member
    I've got all of the collection with my game loaded full of Mods and CC though my six year old laptop has no trouble handling the game and I've also managed to avoid 169 though I'm at the 167 patch and I usually get no lag in my game.
    44620367775_0442f830c1_n.jpg
  • SimplyJenSimplyJen Posts: 14,823 Member
    megaluci00 wrote: »
    Thank you all for your responses and advices.

I own 6 EPs and 1SP, and my computer is a little bit old now but still can run games well. An i7, 8GB RAM and 2GB of dedicated Nvidia graphics card I think are enough to play the sims. Have tried running the game with all expansions; after doing some adjustments and installing a few mods and for the moment everything is okay; although before the adjustments I could notice some lag. Will keep gaming, if something goes wrong I would comment it.
    Which exact video card do you have? The reason I ask is a dedicated card strong enough will go beyond your monitors/screens refresh rate. The extra frames are likely to cause game performance issues and extra heat. We suggest using some form of v-sync (vertical sync) to cap it off at the proper refresh rate. Nvidia users have Control Panel. I have Nvidia and can provide instructions. As for AMD, I believe RivaTuner can be used and that's about all I know but igazor can help. :p

i7-13700K • 16GB • RTX 4070
    S3 simblr: http://simplysimming.tumblr.com/
    S4 simblr: http://simlogic.tumblr.com/
  • megaluci00megaluci00 Posts: 32 Member
    @SimplyJen Yes, thanks for the advice but I have already set the vsync for both TS3 and 4 because I do really fear them, specially the 3 as it is very badly optimized. My card is a Nvidia GeForce 775 by the way

• Starglitters9909Starglitters9909 Posts: 2,524 Member
    I think it pretty much depends on whether your computer can handle all the EP's. I check them all when I play. It just wouldn't be that much fun without all of them to me.
    6cca377d-2512-4319-9ce5-8f4c646cf7f8_zpsa768ec53.jpg
  • ScottDemonScottDemon Posts: 504 Member
    edited August 2018
    @SimplyJen Yes, thanks for the advice but I have already set the vsync for both TS3 and 4 because I do really fear them, specially the 3 as it is very badly optimized. My card is a Nvidia GeForce 775 by the way

If that's the GTX 775m it's comparable to a GTX 570.
    I'm just a little bit crazy LOL
    Okay actually I'm totally and completely nuts LOL :p
  • AnkieACAnkieAC Posts: 24 Member
    edited July 2023
    deleted
    Post edited by AnkieAC on
  • yoshi_dragur2012yoshi_dragur2012 Posts: 1,670 Member
    edited August 2018
    Hi,

I downloaded TS3 and all my expansions yesterday determined to play again after some years, as my computer is better than the one I used to play on, and to my surprise I got a message on the launcher when trying to run the game warning me that to have a good performance or gaming experience I should only play with 2 expansions at the same time...

I was kind of surprised, because I don't remember this popping up before, and I would like those of you currently playing TS3 to comment on how many EP/SP do you usually run when playing and how well the game works.

Thank you!

Are you using the Steam or Origin version of the install?

I wouldn't be surprised if this were a false positive if the answer is the latter. Resurrects shade of that core.exe error messages that had nothing to do with my hardware and everything to do with the failed Launcher software.

Anyhow, I doubt if you'd get that sort of warning message if you installed using Steam. But my huge bias towards using anything affiliated with Origin could have warped my impartiality I guess.

That weird message might also explain why TS3 is still trending so strongly for the past week on Steam's top 100 most popular games list. In fact since last time I checked, TS3 HAS MOVED UP TO RANK 57/100 on Steam as of today! Is this a simmer rebellion against using Origin? :D
  • igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    I wouldn't be surprised if this were a false positive if the answer is the latter. I doubt if you'd get that sort of warning message if you installed using Steam. But my huge bias towards using anything affiliated with Origin could have warped my impartiality I guess.
    The warning is a function of Patch 1.69 which Steam does not have. It's not so much a false positive, it's displayed for everyone on 1.69 until they dismiss it.

That weird message might also explain why TS3 is still trending so strongly for the past week on Steam's top 100 most popular games list. In fact since last time I checked, TS3 HAS MOVED UP TO RANK 57/100 on Steam as of today! Is this a simmer rebellion against using Origin? :D
    That and the fact that the Steam version base game was on sale for something like $3 (USD) a short time ago. :)

o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net