Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Sims 3 - can't play family?

SummerjaseSummerjase Posts: 1,424 Member
edited August 2018 in The Sims 3 Bugs & Issues
I've run into a bit of an issue that I'm not entirely sure how to describe. I was playing the Sims 3 the other night, everything was running perfectly. My sim just graduated from university and I moved her into a high rise building. It was really late at night so as soon as I moved my sim, I saved my game and quit. Now tonight, as I attempted to return to the game, it won't seem to work. I loaded the household, but I have no control over my sim. I can't even view the panel for her. This is what my screen looks like:

38891223_2118589331493881_5042529409253244928_n.jpg?_nc_cat=0&oh=327a99594187d1c6e072c892f99889b0&oe=5C02E597

(The action in the top left corner was "Stream Video" which I tried to cancel, but it had no effect)

I have tried enabling cheats, resetting my sim, shift-clicking on her, I copied her to the clipboard and put her in a different building, I reset my game a couple times, nothing seems to be working.

I am fairly certain this does not have anything to do with my mods as I have not downloaded any for over a year and my game was running just fine before this.

I loaded a different family and it works just fine with them.

Any help or advise?
giphy.gif

Comments

• igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    edited August 2018
    I take it you have tried to clear the five top level cache files on the TS3 user game folder in Documents before reloading? Not sure what reset the game means in this instance, but if you mean you have spawned a fresh game folder and are trying to work with that, then the cache file suggestion would be redundant since you would get all new caches anyway.

If that's no help, I'm afraid what you have here is likely a bad/corrupt save that cannot load. This happens occasionally. The best course of action would be to get rid of it and load up a prior save of this ongoing game, either the automatically generated one with the .backup folder extension if it exists (change the name so that the extension is .sims3) or a Save As made earlier in this game's timeline and try again. Hopefully you have such older or backup saves to work with, even if the latest one takes you back to when gameplay was in Uni World.

Also try playing offline while getting this fixed, meaning not logged in at the Launcher or in-game levels so no "Create a New Post" promts, in an attempt to relieve stress on the game while it loads.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net
  • SummerjaseSummerjase Posts: 1,424 Member
    igazor wrote: »
    I take it you have tried to clear the five top level cache files on the TS3 user game folder in Documents before reloading? Not sure what reset the game means in this instance, but if you mean you have spawned a fresh game folder and are trying to work with that, then the cache file suggestion would be redundant since you would get all new caches anyway.

If that's no help, I'm afraid what you have here is likely a bad/corrput save that cannot load. This happens occasionally. The best course of action would be to get rid of it and load up a prior save of this ongoing game, either the automatically generated one with the .backup folder extension if it exists (change the name so that the extension is .sims3) or a Save As made earlier in this game's timeline and try again. Hopefully you have such older or backup saves to work with, even if the latest one takes you back to when gameplay was in Uni World.

I will try to load an old game save, unfortunately I don't think I've done that since my game was being played in the University World. Thank you for your hlep
    giphy.gif
  • TadOlsonTadOlson Posts: 11,380 Member
    That screen show how my UI looked the last time I tried to load a save where a social worker had taken the baby from the active family as I was playing them and there were other signs of corruption before that UI failure like a toddler having adult romantic interactions with his mum while one adult only had toddler interactions and another had cat interctions before both died from starvation.One adult had dog interactions which was obviously from that save being corrupted.It happens when travel glitches out or sims go missing like from free vacations glitching out or sims being incorrectly deleted as in from TCE or a child being taken by the social worker which will both result in the sim being object deleted.NRaas Traveler would stop theis from happening so frequently in the future and saving as to new file names frequently like a few times each simday also helps.I also added a Mod to disable the NPC social workers taking children away to stop saves from being corrupted by that since it's not something you can control any other way.
    44620367775_0442f830c1_n.jpg