Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Have you noticed a change since the update?

(Since there was a poll asking this question by @SimGuruKate on Twitter, and some of us here do not have a Twitter account, I felt that we should take another poll here on the Forums and compare results.)

As stated on Twitter:

Gallery Creators! Since the update have you been noticing a change in the number of downloads for your creations?

Please only vote if you are a Gallery Creator?
fkgck4xkargo.png
"If you build it, they will come." - Movie: Field of Dreams

Have you noticed a change since the update? 74 votes

Fewer Downloads
60%
auroraael14JaseMrsTomato1018MaryVannalanmichael1LizzychicagoladybreidJennyggsikasika18simsinmysleepDragonAge_300905MezinkaFinvolakittymeowbixtersEmmaVaneCAITLINX354pammiechickAlbaWaterhousexxnearlyperfectx 45 votes
No Change
27%
ehaught58Goth583IcewolfKathy090660mcruddsimm621Lex2221Missmagoo2catmando830rosemagwinDeKayChalkyMalkydreamprisonerCherrybug90HopeyStarrFeisbukaiteKoteykaVanPelt81WildIrishBansheeJennCsimmer 20 votes
More Downloads
12%
Lavasm77robyngravesBagoas77CagierSaturnWulfsimmerambrowngummybear0724thatsnotswegGamingTweety 9 votes

Comments

• LiELFLiELF Posts: 6,447 Member
    Fewer Downloads
    Thanks, that's a good idea.

I definitely get fewer downloads. And I've noticed that when I click to see what's "newer", most of those people have zero downloads or favorites. Meanwhile, "popular now" continues to horde all of the attention with creations that have a tendency to look the same to me.

Things were definitely better when we had a healthy mix of creators who all shared equal screen time. I've started making it a point when I go into the gallery to sift through the newbies who have zero clicks and favorite or comment on the ones I like, to show my support. Someone left a nice comment on one of my recent uploads as well and I think it's a good way to show some appreciation for all players. I hope it's something that the chosen Game Changers will make a point to do, to help boost the signal and show solidarity.

#Team Occult
  • thatsnotswegthatsnotsweg Posts: 697 Member
    edited August 2018
    More Downloads
    Overall I've gotten more downloads, but only on older things I've shared on the gallery. Anything I've shared since the update has been ignored.
    Post edited by thatsnotsweg on
    gallery ID: thatsnotsweg

vYCrjvm.png
  • SiliCloneSiliClone Posts: 2,585 Member
    Fewer Downloads
    I haven't shared anything, but I noticed a lot of new buildings don't have a download now.
  • ehaught58ehaught58 Posts: 2,765 Member
    No Change
    To tell you the truth, I have not really noticed any difference. But then, I have not been actively advertising and promoting my lots for some time now. I just post them and let the chips fall where they may.
    fkgck4xkargo.png
  • SikoahGraceSikoahGrace Posts: 1,399 Member
    I don't upload things but I used to download quite a bit. Since the update I can't use the gallery at all so that might be why some people are seeing fewer downloads. The gallery just freezes my game and I have to force quit or it does nothing outside of the game.
  • auroraael14auroraael14 Posts: 988 Member
    Fewer Downloads
    I uploaded a house today and usually, I can expect anywhere from 20 to 100 downloads but no one has downloaded it. I went to investigate and it doesn't look like anyone downloads the new things added. It doesn't matter much to me because I never uploaded for downloads or favorites but I can see how this would be bothersome to others.
    Check out my gallery for house builds! Username: aejp24
  • SheriSim57SheriSim57 Posts: 6,963 Member
    Fewer Downloads
    What change did they make? I just got a new laptop a couple weeks weeks ago (hadn’t played for about a year and a half). I know they changed the gallery categories, but I am not sure what you are talking about on this thread. What did they do? How do you actively promote lots? And, what do you mean a lot of new buildings don’t have a download now? How is there not a mix of creators sharing anymore?
  • auroraael14auroraael14 Posts: 988 Member
    Fewer Downloads
    They changed the default from showing newest downloads to showing popular now downloads. So unless you click on newest you won't see any of the newest downloads.
    Check out my gallery for house builds! Username: aejp24
  • AlbaWaterhouseAlbaWaterhouse Posts: 3,953 Member
    edited August 2018
    Fewer Downloads
    Significantly less.
    Also, seeing how homogenised the main page has become makes me fairly angry. Everything under "popular" looks the same. Same style for lots, same rooms full of clutter and oversized objects, same "perfect" Sims with awful cc poses, and same over the top ugly Sims.
    The rest, all the outside the box creations and more playable homes and rooms have disappeared.
    This is a real shame and a big deal in my opinion. The Sims community is wide in its diversity and with these measures, they are taking that away.
    Origin ID is: AlbaWaterhouse
    All my creations are CC free.
  • BabySquareBabySquare Posts: 7,869 Member
    Most of my creations are on there, but I rarely look to see how many downloads I've had and I haven't used the gallery at all since the update.
    Gallery ID: babysquare
  • LizzychicagoLizzychicago Posts: 873 Member
    Fewer Downloads
    Not many people download my stuff but now? NOBODY is downloading it! I've never had nobody download a house or sim! Until now of course.
    Check my builds and Sims out on the Gallery, username Lizzychicago!
  • GamingTweetyGamingTweety Posts: 851 Member
    More Downloads
    At the first days of my sharing, the download number is way fewer than what I had before byt after a week they jump up dramatically. (Forexp. From 13 to 1000 and above)
    Gallery id: GamingTweety

Looking for some custom animations? Check out my youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKrWaxowK2vCzwkz6bEZRbg

Deviantart profile: https://gamingtweety.deviantart.com/
    Fewer Downloads
    Thank you @auroraael14 I will have to remember to check out newest as well as popular now. I had not realized they changed that.
  • stilljustme2stilljustme2 Posts: 25,082 Member
    I don't upload things but I used to download quite a bit. Since the update I can't use the gallery at all so that might be why some people are seeing fewer downloads. The gallery just freezes my game and I have to force quit or it does nothing outside of the game.

Are you using any mods? UI Cheats Extension was causing freezing issues with the Gallery but it's been updated. I haven't had any freezing issues and I use the Gallery a lot because my houses are plum (I'm a bit better on venues).
    Check out my Gallery! Origin ID: justme22
    Fun must be always -- Tomas Hertl (San Jose Sharks hockey player)
  • pinneduphairpinneduphair Posts: 918 Member
    Fewer Downloads
    SheriSim57 wrote: »
    What change did they make? I just got a new laptop a couple weeks weeks ago (hadn’t played for about a year and a half). I know they changed the gallery categories, but I am not sure what you are talking about on this thread. What did they do? How do you actively promote lots? And, what do you mean a lot of new buildings don’t have a download now? How is there not a mix of creators sharing anymore?

This thread explains what change the poll is referring to: https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/945699/gallery-being-sorted-by-popular-now-by-default-is-a-problem/p1 :)
  • PninaSimmerPninaSimmer Posts: 371 Member
    Fewer Downloads
    I can't stand the new gallery update. My screenshots are blurrier too now.
    edited August 2018
    Fewer Downloads
    I have fewer downloads, but it doesn’t really bother me. Most of my recent uploads were just of townies I made over. There is only one item that I even thought people might want to download. It was a hospital/mall I made almost 2 years ago, but had problems with my computer and couldn’t upload it then, even that was not my original home, and though I remembered the name of the original home, I did not remember the names of the peoples rooms I used. I put my family’s and some current homes and and my townies on the internet in case my computer goes down and I csn’t Retrieve my game and tray. Some houses and sims were not originally made by me, and though I don’t have the names of the people who uploaded them, I do mention that it was not mine originally.

By the way thankyou to the OP for making this thread, I found many in the newest section that were very nice homes!
  • vikixcvikixc Posts: 330 Member
    Although I very rarely use the gallery (I have too much CC.) I have heard from people in real life and elsewhere online, since the gallery update they get almost no downloads.
    2UFyFUV.png

• simsinmysleepsimsinmysleep Posts: 651 Member
    edited August 2018
    Fewer Downloads
    I had to do a little test before I felt like I could answer this poll accurately. I didn't get a lot of downloads on my new stuff before the update, so when I started getting zero downloads I wondered if that was just the next step (my downloads have been going down for the last couple of years.) I posted a base game only starter home yesterday and it only has 2 downloads. That's unusual for that type of build, I've found. I had posted a starter home (base game and only two EPs, Seasons and Pets) a week ago and it had zero downloads until I mentioned it here on the forums (in the thread about the 'Popular Now' tag) and then it got some downloads very quickly, though it only got up to 14.

Based on my own numbers and what I've seen looking at the 'Newest' tag on the gallery... yes, I've noticed a change and builders without a huge number of followers or some other way of promoting their work (youtube, twitch, etc.) seem to be getting fewer downloads, or even NO downloads.

ETA: And now it's borked and I can't see my own catalog at all; the gallery is empty for me, too. For a while there, everything under 'News' disappeared too, except for one Maxis fave, so I guess someone somewhere is working on the gallery right now?
    KGLsNuM.jpg
  • mustenimusteni Posts: 5,405 Member
    I haven't uploaded anything since the update, but I'm a little bit worried. I'm one of those people with not many downloads in general. If I get 20 on a new house when uploaded then that's a success. I do care about downloads, that's why I share on the gallery... I don't promote my builds anywhere though and have hardly any followers.
  • JC1979JC1979 Posts: 491 Member
    Fewer Downloads
    I’ve gotten very little downloads if any. I didn’t get too many to begin with, maybe 20-50 on my various uploads, but now it’s zero to 2 uploads. I don’t really have followers, but before the patch I at least felt like people appreciated my creativity.
  • ehaught58ehaught58 Posts: 2,765 Member
    No Change
    Though we have fewer votes than the Twitter poll, it’s looking like the results are about the same.
    fkgck4xkargo.png
    I can't stand the new gallery update. My screenshots are blurrier too now.

That's a general game issue, not really related to the Gallery; they're working on a fix.
    I had to do a little test before I felt like I could answer this poll accurately. I didn't get a lot of downloads on my new stuff before the update, so when I started getting zero downloads I wondered if that was just the next step (my downloads have been going down for the last couple of years.) I posted a base game only starter home yesterday and it only has 2 downloads. That's unusual for that type of build, I've found. I had posted a starter home (base game and only two EPs, Seasons and Pets) a week ago and it had zero downloads until I mentioned it here on the forums (in the thread about the 'Popular Now' tag) and then it got some downloads very quickly, though it only got up to 14.

Based on my own numbers and what I've seen looking at the 'Newest' tag on the gallery... yes, I've noticed a change and builders without a huge number of followers or some other way of promoting their work (youtube, twitch, etc.) seem to be getting fewer downloads, or even NO downloads.

ETA: And now it's borked and I can't see my own catalog at all; the gallery is empty for me, too. For a while there, everything under 'News' disappeared too, except for one Maxis fave, so I guess someone somewhere is working on the gallery right now?

I know that we've got Creative Corner where people show off their builds, but how many players actually visit that forum? Maybe we could have a threatd here in General Discussion where people can "advertise" their builds with screenshots (once they fix the quality issue) and a link to the online Gallery (once they've got that fixed). I see a lot of people feature their builds on Twitter with the #ShowUsYourBuilds hashtag, but not everyone is on Twitter.
  • DeKayDeKay Posts: 81,579 Member
    No Change
    It's probably about the same. A lot of builts have random downloads, like some do a lot better than others. So, it's hard for me to guesstimate. XD
    My Top Song of the Day: Innocence by Avril Lavigne
    832XG3D.gif