Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Limit the amount of hashtags people can put in their Gallery uploads.

Hashtags are one of the best tools to find things on the gallery since there are not enough search options and the ones that exist are very wonky. But it is very annoying that people can just put a million tags on their uploads even when the tags arent relevant just to try and get more attention. When i use #granitefalls , I dont want to see penthouses. Limit it to 5 or 6 hashtags so that people are forced to choose the most relevant ones to their upload.

Comments

• KelleygirlKelleygirl Posts: 599 Member
    I probably use a lot of hashtags, but mine are all relevant to the build, like #3beds or #2story. I've noticed #cityliving is used a lot even for houses that don't seem suited for the city and it seems like lately, almost every thing I run across on the gallery uses the hashtag #sexy (which I really don't understand).... I don't know if I'd like to be limited to the number of hashtags I could use, but I've gotten used to not using a lot of words since I started using Twitter, so I'd give it a go. :p
  • ReksohReksoh Posts: 303 Member
    Kelleygirl wrote: »
    I probably use a lot of hashtags, but mine are all relevant to the build, like #3beds or #2story. I've noticed #cityliving is used a lot even for houses that don't seem suited for the city and it seems like lately, almost every thing I run across on the gallery uses the hashtag #sexy (which I really don't understand).... I don't know if I'd like to be limited to the number of hashtags I could use, but I've gotten used to not using a lot of words since I started using Twitter, so I'd give it a go. :p

Thats true, it would punish the people who use the hashtags responsibly... which is unfortunate but I think this is a change the gallery really needs. At least if they dont plan to improve the searching features.
  • gummybear0724gummybear0724 Posts: 1,146 Member
    No, i don't think they should be limited. If its irrelevant just keep scrolling.
    edited August 2018
    No, i don't think they should be limited. If its irrelevant just keep scrolling.
    2dvq6g0.jpg
  • budewarminbudewarmin Posts: 371 Member
    I think 5 is too little. Im more thinking of 10 so people can still tag mount of beds etc.
    budewarmin wrote: »
    I think 5 is too little. Im more thinking of 10 so people can still tag mount of beds etc.

That's fair. After I wrote it I started to think that 5 was a little harsh, too.
  • AlbaWaterhouseAlbaWaterhouse Posts: 3,953 Member
    budewarmin wrote: »

I had no idea there were hashtags for the amount of beds too!
    I guess I am very restricted to the ones I always use and never considered to check for others. I basically only write on my creations #nocc #moo #playtested (whenever I remember that one), and not much else.
    Maybe a restriction in number wouldn't be a good idea for the people that use them all correctly but it's a good idea to look into it to make the gallery more efficient when searching. I think ticking boxes would also help.
    Origin ID is: AlbaWaterhouse
    All my creations are CC free.
  • GatochwegGatochweg Posts: 22 Member
    I rather have people using a lot of hashtags to seek attention for something than uploading the same thing over and over again. But yes it is certainly annoying when you get a lot of irrelevant downloads when your searching for something in particular. especially since you don't get to see everything that has the hashtag.
  • CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    edited August 2018
    I think the hash tag 'sexy' should be eliminated. That's in the eye of the beholder. And when I did look at the gallery, in the past it was used for every useless thing there was on the gallery. Even lots that had nothing to do with sexy. The recommendations for what hash tags to use, are also extremely limited last time I looked last year. That's why I made up my own. One word, one hash tag. If there isn't a filter to let people know how many bedrooms a house has by now, well, what's up with that? And why not? That should be reserved for filters of how many bedrooms a lot contains. Because in honesty, if you dl a lot you can add a bed anywhere most of the time so why even have a hash tag for that, what needs to happen is let filters search by number for bathrooms and bedrooms etc. ETA: And to be perfectly honest I have never used hashtags to search for anything other than a possible celeb and or a particular lot like castle etc. Filters should be doing 99% of the work.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • thatsnotswegthatsnotsweg Posts: 697 Member
    edited August 2018
    People misusing tags is annoying, but I would hate to see them limited that far. I use the tags a lot when I upload and when I search, so it'd make using the gallery much harder for me. I'd be okay with a limit around 30, though I am happy with the way hashtags work now.
    gallery ID: thatsnotsweg

vYCrjvm.png
  • TerraTerra Posts: 1,353 Member
    There's already a character limit on descriptions for gallery uploads, so by the time I'm finished writing the description, I barely have any room for hashtags. :lol:
  • TehOpheliacTehOpheliac Posts: 17 Member
    I agree that it's annoying to find builds that use tags that have nothing to do with what they're advertising, but at this point, it's fairly moot because the gallery only works one-third of the time anyway.

This is fairly irrelevant to the conversation at large, but does anyone else find it annoying when you go into a build in the gallery and half the comments are people complaining? I don't make/build houses myself, but it's practically a pet peeve for me to see people saying stuff like "IT NEEDS MORE BEDS" or "IT'S ALMOST PERFECT BUT THE KITCHEN ISN'T BIG ENOUGH". It drives me nuts. Like, you have the game, just edit the house and add another bed or fix the kitchen. It's not that hard, stop moaning about it and have some autonomy. SIGH.
  • Sigzy05Sigzy05 Posts: 19,406 Member
    I hate gallery hashtags because people overuse them! There are so many builds in the gallery with ridiculous hashtags that make no sense just so that they can pop up at every hashtag search, it's ridiculous. That's why I don't bother searching for them.
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
  • TehOpheliacTehOpheliac Posts: 17 Member
    I agree? It's also frustrating when you're searching for something specific -- say, Salvadorian -- and at least half of everything that's coming up is modern houses or victorian builds. Like? If I wanted that, I'd be searching for it.

Also, @Sigzy05, you have a pretty Inquisitor icon. : P