Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

How do you make your game more realistic?

I do a couple of things to add some more realism:
1. I never drag plates to a sink/trashcan. I make my sims clean them or if they're rich enough I hire a maid or a butler. But I never help them with the dishes cause no one helps me with it irl haha
2. My sims always take care of the toddlers no matter how wiped out they are. They still use the high chair and read them to bed. No self-sufficient toddlers in my game. But I do admit that it sometimes makes my blood boil.
3. I pay for the clothes I put on my sims in CAS. the prices vary of course. From 50§ for a seedy hoodie up to 500§ for some fancy dress. I use the cheat to take the exact amount away.
4. I used to charge my sims for traveling to another neighborhood (as I pay for bus tickets irl too haha) but I usually forgot to take away the money.
5. I don't put make up on my sims in CAS. I use the vanity table to do it instead. Just like I do irl every morning. It's funny when they don't have enough time cause they went to bed too late and I have to decide: hmm would this girl rather put on some make up or would she prefer to eat a proper breakfast? And depending on the sims personality, I make a decision that fits the Sim best.

And what do you guys do to add some realism? Or maybe you do things to make the game less realistic?

Comments

• elanorbretonelanorbreton Posts: 14,549 Member
    edited August 2018
    I do numbers 1 and 2. And I try to be more realistic with activities and let my sims have a life rather than just skilling up. If I had to do number 3, my sims would never have any clothes cos they are always poor.

I thought, once and fleetingly lol, of making retail stores sims would have to visit to buy all their stuff instead of me doing it from buy mode. But I couldn't be bothered in the end.

I would love it if sims had to grocery shop, like in TS2. Or fish and grow their ingredients. I don't like buying from the fridge, it kind of makes it seem like a waste of time to grow veggies - there's no incentive.

Edit - I forgot, in some sims houses I do laundry too. But I don't think I could stand to do it in every house.
  • AnthonydyerAnthonydyer Posts: 1,197 Member
    At one point I overworked my sims by making them work hard and take on a monetized skill for the purpose of building wealth fast. Then I realized that is no way to live, so I am taking a more leisurely approach to the game. I send my sims to restaurants and parks more. That is realistic. I Also don't use money cheat codes.
  • LolaLuvsSimsLolaLuvsSims Posts: 1,827 Member
    @elanorbreton I always grocery shopped in TS3 as well. @Poli69pl I should go back to doing #2
  • Raven_CatRaven_Cat Posts: 74 Member
    I'm manually doing ages and age-ups for my played households now that I have seasons. I mark done what day they were born and give them a year every time it comes around again- My quads born on Fall 6 just turned 1 and won't be children until they're 5, which is many many days away. I used MC command to mess with the pregnancy length so it's 21 days to match
  • Poli69plPoli69pl Posts: 72 Member
    At one point I overworked my sims by making them work hard and take on a monetized skill for the purpose of building wealth fast. Then I realized that is no way to live, so I am taking a more leisurely approach to the game. I send my sims to restaurants and parks more. That is realistic. I Also don't use money cheat codes.

That's what I should do. Focus on their lives instead of constantly improving their skills :)
  • JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    edited August 2018
    The only time I made a point out of making the game more realistic was when I played a homeless sim, because realism in his case felt more important than it ususally does for me. Which meant I didn’t choose steel bladder for him and I made him walk everywhere (cabs are free in the game but not so much in real life, so I didn’t allow him to use one). But in general realism isn’t really important for me. I would like it though if they’d have to pay for clothes, that’s for sure, so I like that idea.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • vancanuckfan86vancanuckfan86 Posts: 1,156 Member
    I also do 1 and 2...

- I have laundry in all my houses and I have them do laundry on a regular basis.
    - I choose what career they want when they first age up and only have them level up to that level. For example if I want them to be a blogger I only let the Sim level up to level 2 in the writer career.
    - I give all my Sims hobbies and those are the activities they do. For example if a Sim is a bit of a nerd and loves screen time his hobbies could be video games and movies. Or if a Sim is a health nut I might make yoga their activity.
    - I don't use any cheats.
  • megaluci00megaluci00 Posts: 32 Member
    I personally don't do very much to make the game more realistic but number 1 and 2 are usually on my list. I also try to have kids with my sims before they get to be adults because if not I find the ages not matching at all... (for example, an elder father whose son is a teenager...)

For the rest of the things I find my game very unrealistic but I kinda enjoy it like this.
  • So_MoneySo_Money Posts: 2,536 Member
    edited August 2018
    I don't impose any strict rules on myself, but I do try to have my sims act realistically. One example is keeping to realistic schedules, which basically means going to bed at realistic times, showering and brushing teeth in the morning, preparing breakfast before work, etc. I prefer to do these things realistically rather than let needs dictate when I do them.
  • PegasysPegasys Posts: 1,135 Member
    edited August 2018
    I have the sims clean up dishes too, instead of dragging to trash or sink.

I try as much as possible to use the high chair instead of letting toddlers be self-sufficient, cause how many toddlers IRL can reach up to the counter to grab their food and walk with it to the couch? But yes the high chair is frustrating.

I just added a mod where sims don't get the default $20k when they move to a new household. Instead starting funds will be $0. They will need to be gifted money from their parents to move in somewhere (now easy to gift with Seasons). This is new to my game; I'll see how it plays out.

I was just thinking it would be cool to set up a super furniture store that they have to buy everything from, but that may be too much trouble. Hmmm.
  • CorkysPetalsCorkysPetals Posts: 1,400 Member
    I mostly play around 5 different saves, and now that I have Seasons, all of the saves are summer. I want the game to be similar to my own life. I'll wait another month or so before my Sims experience autumn. And along those lines, I never use auto-aging. I still play some sims that haven't aged in years. Real people don't age up after 7-52 days, so my sims don't.
  • Huiiie_07Huiiie_07 Posts: 1,200 Member
    edited August 2018
    The only thing I can think of is not letting sims that live in Oasis Springs or Windenburg "occasionally" travel to another world. For example, my sims from Oasis Springs only travel to San Myshuno on weekends or on holidays. Oasis Springs and Windenburg seem too far away from the other worlds to travel to them on a monday afternoon, if you know what I mean. The only exceptions I make are when friends are calling to meet somewhere in another world. I would never do it by myself though.
    Origin ID: Huiiie_07

I like to build stuff
  • aaronrulzaaronrulz Posts: 4,098 Member
    @Poli69pl I am intrigued by #5. Doesn't the makeup come off though every time they change their clothes? For example, if my sim wakes up and puts on an everyday outfit and then automatically changes to a cold or hot outfit (from seasons), will I have to reapply the makeup? Cause that will be annoying.

And I know I couldn't use CC makeup with the makeup table.

With all that said, I like this realism and I wouldn't have to spend so much time in CAS with my female sims every time they age up and I have to do their makeup (I like different makeups with different outfits)
  • j_rmj_rm Posts: 16 New Member
    Honestly, I can't be bothered to make it as realistic as you guys. It would be nice but the toddler aspects ( highchair, having the parents take care of them when they're super tired) just really frustrate me sometimes. Also, my sims like to leave dishes around and they tend not to listen to me when I tell them to clean it up. Lol, I really admire the amount of patience you guys have when it comes to really make the game realistic.
  • Poli69plPoli69pl Posts: 72 Member
    aaronrulz wrote: »
    @Poli69pl I am intrigued by #5. Doesn't the makeup come off though every time they change their clothes? For example, if my sim wakes up and puts on an everyday outfit and then automatically changes to a cold or hot outfit (from seasons), will I have to reapply the makeup? Cause that will be annoying.

And I know I couldn't use CC makeup with the makeup table.

With all that said, I like this realism and I wouldn't have to spend so much time in CAS with my female sims every time they age up and I have to do their makeup (I like different makeups with different outfits)

The make up comes off once your Sims showers or takes a bath. It doesn't come off when you change clothes which is good cause they can wear it all day and remove it before going to sleep :)
  • birdonawirebirdonawire Posts: 400 Member
    edited August 2018
    I love this thread! And I like the idea of charging sims for new clothes - I actually think I will implement this into my game. :smile: I kinda wish it was like Sims 2, where you had to go to a store to buy clothes!

I always try to make my game more realistic - here are some of the things I do:

1. I make my sims brush their teeth every morning and night.
    2. All my sims, in every house and every apartment, have to do laundry on a regular basis.
    3. I feed the toddlers in the high chair, even though it really tests my patience sometimes…!
    4. I play with aging off and manually age sims up (1 year old = toddler, 5 years old = child, 13 years old = teenager, 20 years old = young adult, 40 years old = adult, 65 years old = elder), and each of them gets exactly one year older each calendar year and celebrate their birthdays on the same date every year. I play with 4-week seasons, so one sim year is 16 weeks/112 days.
    5. I recently downloaded a mod where you can decide the duration of a pregnancy, and since I play with 4-week long seasons I chose to have my sims be pregnant for 84 days - because that’s the equivalent of 9 IRL months of a year. It is an awful long time to wait for the baby to be born, but hey, that’s just like real life! :D
  • LolaLuvsSimsLolaLuvsSims Posts: 1,827 Member
    @Huiiie_07 I totally agree. The way I play San Myshuno is the city, Newcrest is the immediate suburb, Willow Creek is a little further out and Magnolia fits in there somewhere. My sims usually stay in those towns. When I play in any other worlds my Sims don't leave often. I keep hoping we will get an empty desert world so I can use Oasis Springs more often.
  • Huiiie_07Huiiie_07 Posts: 1,200 Member
    ikiamyetta wrote: »
    @Huiiie_07 I totally agree. The way I play San Myshuno is the city, Newcrest is the immediate suburb, Willow Creek is a little further out and Magnolia fits in there somewhere. My sims usually stay in those towns. When I play in any other worlds my Sims don't leave often. I keep hoping we will get an empty desert world so I can use Oasis Springs more often.

Exactly! What I would also love is a mix between San Myshuno and Oasis Springs, like a Las Vegas inspired city in the desert.
    Origin ID: Huiiie_07

I like to build stuff
  • AquaGamer1212AquaGamer1212 Posts: 5,417 Member
    This thread has inspired me to make my save more realistic. I’m going to add a grocery store, furniture store, clothing store, etc. They can ONLY use fresh ingredients when cooking, and will use the outdoor laundry set. She’s gonna work her way up to getting high end appliances, clothing, and furniture.
    ts4_blossom_meadows_world_icon_gif_fan_art_by_hazzaplumbob-d.gif

• KoteykaKoteyka Posts: 537 Member
    edited August 2018
    I've gotten into realistic mode a while ago. My sims brush their teeth and drink water twice a day (i still keep forgetting to do that tho), they buy clothes and furniture from stores (buying from build/buy mode equals buying off the internet which means that the furniture/clothes needs a day or two to get to the household), they buy new everyday and sleepwear clothing every season, to get to a different city they pay for a ticket and fly on a plane/ride on a train on a special lot, they cook only from fresh ingredients, they pay extra money for changing wallpapers, buying new plumbing or removes/adding walls, they harvest plants only once per week, etc. It's really fun.
  • LyrieLyrie Posts: 881 Member
    This thread is awesome!
    I do a lot of these things but the biggest on is charging them for things like travel, daycare, school fees, scout fees, taxes, renovations even more money.

I also pretend build and buy is an internet delivery service!

I use Landry in everyhouse and have them on a custom life-span.

I am going to make them brush their teeth more often that is a small but very realistic detail!
  • DeKayDeKay Posts: 81,590 Member
    OP, your sims must get very little sleep if they're gonna spend like 3 hours doing makeup and 1 hour doing the dishes. XD

I do 1 most of the time but that's pretty much it. Sometimes I make them go the boutique to buy clothes.
    My Top Song of the Day: Innocence by Avril Lavigne
    832XG3D.gif
  • DeKayDeKay Posts: 81,590 Member
    I do numbers 1 and 2. And I try to be more realistic with activities and let my sims have a life rather than just skilling up. If I had to do number 3, my sims would never have any clothes cos they are always poor.

I thought, once and fleetingly lol, of making retail stores sims would have to visit to buy all their stuff instead of me doing it from buy mode. But I couldn't be bothered in the end.

I would love it if sims had to grocery shop, like in TS2. Or fish and grow their ingredients. I don't like buying from the fridge, it kind of makes it seem like a waste of time to grow veggies - there's no incentive.

Edit - I forgot, in some sims houses I do laundry too. But I don't think I could stand to do it in every house.

I made a mall with a grocery store on the first level that sells vegetables and fish and stuff, so whenever I need potatoes, etc to make a meal, I'll make them buy it from there. It's fun. :)
    My Top Song of the Day: Innocence by Avril Lavigne
    832XG3D.gif
  • AquaGamer1212AquaGamer1212 Posts: 5,417 Member
    There’s a mod by Graycurse on MTS that makes so you HAVE to use fresh ingredients. Hopefully they will update the grocery store mod since the owner has abandoned it.
    ts4_blossom_meadows_world_icon_gif_fan_art_by_hazzaplumbob-d.gif

• Mariefoxprice83Mariefoxprice83 Posts: 8,108 Member
    Maybe the bills are so expensive in order to cover the usual living expenses the game doesn't account for? Though I still think they are TOO expensive sometimes - I reduced them in MCCC.
    Better to reign in Hell, than serve in Heaven.