Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Build and Design Challenge - Floor Plan - Feb posted!!

StrongbumblebeeStrongbumblebee Posts: 65 Member
edited February 2019 in The Sims 4 Lots
Hi guys! This is going to be a reoccurring every 2-3 weeks.

You've been hired as the main designer for the Sim City Contracting Company! Your challenge today, if you choose to accept it, is to create a livable sim home from the rough floor plans the clients have chosen! Every 2 weeks you will receive a new floor plan! You have full design freedom, open budget, and can use cheats or CC if desired! In fact, CC is recommended! I want to see what amazing creations you can come up with! Please try to keep your builds within the floor plan guidelines, come up with a way to measure it, I often use 2 feet equals 1 square in The Sims, however, I understand some builds will not allow for that space. So, keep it all relative to size.

Current week's Challenge is here: FEBURARY 2019 and runs until March 1st

Entry Form
House Name:
Total Cost Furnished:
Lot Size:
Origin ID:
Gallery name of Lot:
(helpful, but not required) Link to CC included:
Photos:

Cristi - Sim fan for many years

Check out my first ever challenge!

Builder, Simmer, and Challenge lover!
Post edited by Strongbumblebee on

Comments

• Options
    edited August 2018
    Week One:

OUVz29W.jpg

FiaoPCj.jpg

Floorplans credit goes to: Houseplans

This week includes an optional bonus room, feel free to add it in if you'd like, or leave it off.

Your clients would like a craftsman style home, they would like that design element to fit inside and out, they would like to be able to envision this home furnished and fully complete.

They do not need a garage, however, they would like a garden space in that area, covered if possible.

Your clients would like to see a top down image, and at least 1 image from each room, and at least 1 view of the entire house from the front. Please include them in this post.

• Options
    Sbodine89Sbodine89 Posts: 144 Member
    What a fun challenge! I would love to partake in this, just one question. When you say "craftsmen" style house what does that mean exactly?
  • Options
    withlovejulienwithlovejulien Posts: 588 Member
    edited August 2018
    @Sbodine89 I'm not sure if you're asking for how much the build should look Craftsman or about Craftsman in general! I hope, if it's the latter, that the following is helpful!

A Craftsman is a particular architectural style of house that developed in the late 19th and early 20th century. The Wikipedia article is interesting reading (linked)!

This page talks about some of the common characteristics of Craftsman style (linked). The Season game pack came with some build items that were designed with a Craftsman style. The Mission style furniture (often called Mega) is excellent for Craftsman builds!

"General Characteristics
    The typical Craftsman home usually has the following features:

Low-pitched roof
    Deep eaves with exposed rafters
    Decorative knee braces.
    1–1½ stories
    Built-in cabinetry
    Large fireplace, often with built-in cabinetry on either side
    Dormers
    Large, covered front porches with massive, battered columns
    Windows were typically double-hung with multiple lights in the upper window and a single pane in the lower
    Many fine details including hammered metalwork in copper and bronze, and art tiles by notable American art potters like Batchelder, Grueby, Rookwood, and the Roycrofters."
  • Options
    Thank you @withlovejulien !! that was very helpful!
  • Options
    Rostri-JoduRostri-Jodu Posts: 718 Member
    Shell complete!

9ja4jCt.png

Although, I may end up changing out some of the windows. The ones on the front feel a little heavy, while the ones along the backside feel a bit sparse. I was making every effort to stick to the placement of the windows on the plan, but I may have to add a few more, just to balance things out. We'll see.

Cheers,
    Ro
  • Options
    @Rostri-Jodu the outside of your house looks great so far! I can't wait to see the inside when you are done! I worked a bit on mine today, I jump around a bit when building, so I have most of the outside done, I just have a few landscaping things to finish, and I have a lot of the rooms mostly done. I'm working on getting better at interior design.
  • Options
    Sbodine89 wrote: »
    What a fun challenge! I would love to partake in this, just one question. When you say "craftsmen" style house what does that mean exactly?

That's up to you to be creative with! This is artist's interpretation! That's why your clients hired you! :)

• Options
    Shell complete!

9ja4jCt.png

Although, I may end up changing out some of the windows. The ones on the front feel a little heavy, while the ones along the backside feel a bit sparse. I was making every effort to stick to the placement of the windows on the plan, but I may have to add a few more, just to balance things out. We'll see.

Cheers,
    Ro

I love this! It looks excellent! I love the colors you've chosen! It's very in tune with a "traditional craftsman style home" I'm sure your clients will love it! I can't wait to see the inside!

• Options
    KelleygirlKelleygirl Posts: 599 Member
    Do the clients have children? If so, what are their ages?
  • Options
    edited August 2018
    Entry Form
    House Name: The Craftsman Family Home
    Total Cost Furnished: 389,347
    Lot Size: 40x30
    Origin ID: Sbodine1989
    Gallery name of Lot: The Craftsman Family Home
    (helpful, but not required) Link to CC included: N/A
    Photos:
    The Craftsman Family Home!
    fRESMwi.png
    Lot's more pics in the spoiler button!
    Front view
    fX80rvr.png
    Top floor top view
    Q8THmsV.png
    first floor top view
    PNz3Aap.png
    side back view
    lvA4NYv.png
    Raised Garden
    zKgUfSX.png
    Barbeque patio
    FIldgo4.png
    living room
    Tsy2Q7d.png
    dining room
    l7zYkCn.png
    kitchen
    KVwO4B6.png
    breakfast nook
    wGuM1Yn.png
    children's nook
    YHtG9Qb.png
    laundry room
    TotYHsg.png
    garden entryway
    UdQEnnP.png
    garden
    gWecrd1.png
    computer center
    N7TRlfB.png
    master bedroom
    DsM6RQq.png
    master bathroom
    QLj1eVo.png
    childrens bedroom
    5XuvH7G.png
    shared second bathroom
    phODkfx.png
    young adult bedroom
    JX0wnie.png
    Bonus Room! Home Theatre
    SkAacFb.png
    Post edited by Sbodine89 on
  • Options
    rosemowrosemow Posts: 163,596 Member
    The Craftsman Family Home looks great! @Sbodine89 :) You have created a very nice home using the floor plan! Very nice roofing and covered porch areas! The raised garden nook looks great! The glass roofing looks very nice over the garden nook. Very nice furnishing of each of the rooms in the home! It looks a very nice warm family home. Very nice light filled dining room. Sims would enjoy the sunlight coming in through the windows whilst dining at the table. The produce on the table , herbs on the wall and crockery display cabinet are homely touches. Very nice design of the kitchen! It looks great how you have done the double sinks bar stool counter! The texture of the kitchen walls and type and placement of the kitchen cabinets looks very nice. The greenery on the ceiling edges are a nice touch. Very nice wall panelling in the kids nook, and the heart teddy and animal wall pictures are cute! The colour schemes of the bedroms looks very nice, and the floor rugs /coloured circles prints add a nice touch to the rooms. It is great that you have included a home theatre room also! The diferent levels of the seating looks great!
    It is a very nice home! :)
  • Options
    Kelleygirl wrote: »

They do not, however they are hoping to adopt in the near future.

• Options
    edited August 2018
    House Name: Craftsman Challenge
    Total Cost Furnished: $139,559
    Lot Size: 50 x 40
    Origin ID: Kelleygirl
    Gallery name of Lot: Craftsman Challenge
    (helpful, but not required) Link to CC included: https://simsationaldesigns.blogspot.com/

I never use cc when building to upload on the gallery, so I had a lot of fun going crazy with all my favorite furnishings which are by Peacemaker at https://simsationaldesigns.blogspot.com/ CC includes Hamptons Hideaway, Hamptons Retreat, Hamptons Getaway, Shaker Kitchen Collection, Bayside Bedroom, Midcentury Eclectic, and a tile and curtain collection.

I skipped the optional second-floor room, turned one bedroom into a guest room and the other into an office/study. I also skipped the covered gardening area and gave them a greenhouse.

Photos:
    [img][/img]2hxc1i0.jpg
    [img][/img]epobom.jpg
    [img][/img]25oubk1.jpg
    [img][/img]2hd7gv8.jpg
    Living Room:
    [img][/img]6s9r43.jpg
    [img][/img]6ypd6u.jpg
    Dining:
    [img][/img]2nqyy2x.jpg
    Kitchen:
    [img][/img]15dwf1d.jpg
    Reading knook:
    [img][/img]xatmyc.jpg
    Office/study:
    [img][/img]2hhkgm1.jpg
    Master bedroom:
    [img][/img]3494akm.jpg
    Master bath:
    [img][/img]21expja.jpg
    [img][/img]2yjwyde.jpg
    Guest bedroom:
    [img][/img]2ih9kk0.jpg
    @Strongbumblebee, I'm not the best at landscaping or interior decorating but I really enjoyed doing this challenge and I'm looking forward to your next one!
    Post edited by Kelleygirl on
  • Options
    Craftsman Challenge is very nice! @Kelleygirl :) You have reflected the floor plan very well! The craftsman style design of the exterior looks very nice! The flowers along the edges of the home and on the edges of the lot looks so very pretty! Very nice outdoors simming area on the back porch. Sims will enjoy cooking meals on the bbq there and eating the food at the dining table in the outdoors air. Very nice furnishing of the interior! The living room sofa seats sitting area is very nice for the sims family to enjoy sitting resting there near the fire watching tv together. The design of the kitchen is very nice ! Very nice sink and bar stool counter for Sims to enjoy sitting on the stools and have a meal. The blue wall tiling there looks very nice. The cc furnishings that you have used in the rooms looks very nice!
  • Options
    @rosemow thank you so much! I'm not much at decorating but I always try to think of the way I'd like my own home decorated, or at least things I'd enjoy. You are always at the ready with kind words of encouragement, a true treasure in the Simming community, and we all appreciate it!
  • Options
    MLDesignMLDesign Posts: 53 Member
    This sounds like fun but I don't do much CC in my builds. So, I don't have any downloaded. Yet I can still do it without CC. =D
    signature.jpg?psid=1&width=450&height=102

YouTube Channel: MLDesignTV
  • Options
    @Kelleygirl I love your build!! You're excellent, i love the flow and continuity between rooms, the whole house looks like something put of a magizine!

I cant wait to post the next one!!

The first challenge is over tomorrow!! I have a couple more rooms to do today and I'll be posting mine too.

• Options
    @Sbodine89

I love your edits, I especially love the outdoor area! I can't wait to see what you do next week!

• Options
    ChubbychuckChubbychuck Posts: 214 Member
    Awesome builds guys :smiley:
    My Gallery

Origin: ChubbyChuckTS
  • Options
    Kelleygirl wrote: »

They do not, however they are hoping to adopt in the near future.

I must have missed this info earlier. I decorated my house with an adult master bedroom, a young adult bedroom/guest room, and a child bedroom.

@rosemow Thank you so much for your review!!

@Kelleygirl Your version of this house is lovely! I love the color schemes throughout your house and I love the Landscaping! great job!

@Strongbumblebee Thank you! I had a lot of fun with this house. I learned what craftsmen style was and I tried my best to replicate that in the interior as well as the exterior. I think having guidelines like that are really fun and I love using floor plans for builds! I can't wait to see what you have for us next!
  • Options
    @Sbodine89 , your house is all ready to go for when they adopt that kid! I'm terrible at decorating for kids. I especially like that your house looks lived in, makes it look so cozy! Wasn't this a fun challenge?
  • Options
    Rostri-JoduRostri-Jodu Posts: 718 Member
    Entry Form

House Name: Greene Pasadeene
    Total Cost Furnished: $232,538
    Lot Size: 40x30
    Origin ID: Rostrijodu
    Link to Lot: Greene Pasadeene
    Link to CC: No CC Used, Only Moo
    Photos:

lyrWqVO.png
    Greene Pasadeene by Day
    P6i7T8b.png
    Greene Pasadeene at Sunset

IaxjPmu.png
    Greene Pasadeene by Night

E5gwmYQ.png
    Greene Pasadeene at Sunrise

QRFNmcK.png
    A View from Above

QeK7qzO.png
    Covered Porch

yq9fywj.png
    Outdoor Seating

DzyPSwH.png
    Grilling Porch

jB6aETv.png
    Outdoor Patio

OuJfZKC.png
    Covered Gardening Space

WJcEKQl.png
    Great Room w. Gas Fireplace

RGzg2IB.png
    Dining Room

35lnliY.png
    Kitchen (w. Functioning Angled Island!)

rPP5cHV.png
    Breakfast Room

nrinAqT.png
    Vestibule w. Kid's Nook & Storage Bench

Cb3KUmL.png
    Laundry Room

cWF3OI6.png
    Computer Center

jbY4CDt.png
    Bedroom Number 3

iabBrGp.png
    Linen Closet

yXiVgAU.png
    Bathroom

UDUpUf8.png
    Bedroom Number 2 (aka Nursery)

zSciP2G.png
    Master Suite

mUhEivy.png
    Master Bath w. Glass Shower, Whirlpool Tub & Knee Space

R7kpKYd.png
    Master Walk-In Closet

dIlDhoW.png
    Bonus Room from Above

hYiYg8K.png
    Bonus Room w. Movie Screen, Meditation Space, Games, Bar, Piano & Dancefloor!
  • Options
    The exterior design of Greene Passadene is very nice! @Rostri-Jodu :) It is very nice picture that you have posted of the home at different times of the day. Very nice covered porch and patio areas! The outdoors sitting nook with the seatbench, and lilypads /water fountain feature looks so very calming! Sims will enjoy resting there having a drink from the drinks tray. Very nice outdoors cooking and dining porch and patio areas for Sims to enjoy cooking meals on the bbq on the porch and eating the food outdoors in the air on the long dining table on the patio. The candles are a nice touch on the table. Very nice furnishing of the interior! The design of the Great Lounge is very nice! Sims will enjoy relaxing on the sofas near the fire, watching tv or reading a book. The bookcases look nice placed either sides of the fireplace. The design of the kitchen is very nice! The angled bar stool counter looks great! The windows balcony box of sunflowers and the yellow flowers on the breakfast table are special sunny touches. Very nice furnishing of each of the bedrooms. There are many enjoyable activities for Sims to do in the bonus room!