Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Something I Feel all SimGuru's Need to Hear

Comments

• 12348flower12348flower Posts: 9 New Member
    Ok, I need help. I've tried many different ways to fix this, but none have worked. I have two families which both have twins and one day I traveled with a mom and her kids to visit the other twin toddlers. I was controlling over of her toddlers, trying to interact with the other toddlers, but I could not interact with them. I tried switching control to the other toddlers, disabling cheats, re-enabling cheats, but no dice. I even de-bugged both families. Please help if you can.
  • NindigoNindigo Posts: 2,764 Member
    vikixc wrote: »
    Karon wrote: »
    After the update yesterday I just have something to say: the simgurus have to learn what "priorities" mean! Nobody needed a gallery overhaul...

I was attacked for saying this on another post. I was also attacked for it in the livestream, now it seems like more people have realised how pointless it was :anguished:

Arrogance is still uncalled for, and nobody can speak for everybody else. SimGurus don't need to "learn" anything and some people needed a gallery overhaul. Watch your statements, people. I, for one, do not appreciate when others think they speak on my behalf. Thank you.

Origin ID: Nindigo79

A smile is the prettiest thing you can wear
    Time enjoyed is never time wasted

• PerfectSorrowPerfectSorrow Posts: 58 Member
    I find in my experience, not just with 4 but with all of them, that after a few hours you start encountering more bugs or they become more likely. Hitting a loading screen usually helps reset things, and if all else fails restarting the game after a save usually gives you a few more hours with no bug outs. Annoying yes. But remember the game is new, and the more mods, cc, cheats etc, the more issues you’re gonna have. That has always been my experience. As the game gets better there will be less of this, but it takes time.
  • Akl500PAkl500P Posts: 2,986 Member
    I find in my experience, not just with 4 but with all of them, that after a few hours you start encountering more bugs or they become more likely. Hitting a loading screen usually helps reset things, and if all else fails restarting the game after a save usually gives you a few more hours with no bug outs. Annoying yes. But remember the game is new, and the more mods, cc, cheats etc, the more issues you’re gonna have. That has always been my experience. As the game gets better there will be less of this, but it takes time.

I find this to be true as well. I feel like with all versions the longer your play session is the worse it gets. And yes the more you add the worse it gets too. Vanilla is the safest option but even I struggle to do that and I only use MCCC. I do understand that some of my issues are caused by that though. But it will get better I’m sure and it does take a lot of time.
  • MidnightAuraMidnightAura Posts: 5,809 Member

I agree the longer you play the more likely bugs will occur. But the game is not new by any stretch of the imagination. It’s almost four years old.
  • filipomelfilipomel Posts: 1,693 Member
    Cynna wrote: »
    It’s not unplayable for me (so far, knock on wood), but I’ve seen a couple of frustrating bugs, and I feel sorry for the simmers whose games are becoming unplayable. :frowning:

Still, I got bugs in Sims 3 and a few really bad ones in Skyrim (really bad bugs—there were times when you couldn’t finish quests or lost stuff because of this bugs!), and I still managed to enjoy the games.

I had to eventually download an unofficial patch mod for Skyrim, the bugs were that bad, lol! :astonished: My goodness!

Anyway: Let’s hope they continue to fix and patch stuff!

The line that I bolded is part of the issue.

Bugs are hard to fix, I get that, believe me. However, when the mod creators are finding ways to fix them and the company doesn't there's something wrong. It's bad practice to let the community find workarounds and fixes, meanwhile the company appears to be twiddling their thumbs.

This is where transparency comes in. It would do a lot for my perception of EA if, when a mod creator fixes an issue (almost immediately, mind you), someone at EA spoke up and thanked them. That mod creator basically showed EA the way and, whenever possible, EA should follow, test, and refine then release an official patch.

TS3 ended and many of the bugs were never fixed by EA. However, mod creators were able to fix them, years prior, in some cases.

Perhaps my view of the situation is oversimplified. But I'll never know because EA doesn't say anything.

My assumption is that when a modder creates a fix for a bug, they're not necessarily making a fix, but more so a work-around within the coding to make the game run as if the bug doesn't exist, when in reality it does, it just doesn't happen anymore. Another guess of mine is that when the developers create a fix, they create it with solutions and methods in mind to prevent it from happening/breaking again (even tho this still happens), so when a developer creates a fix, a lot more work goes into it than what a modder could/would be able to possibly do. These are just guesses, I have no idea if any of this is true by any means, but it makes sense from my understanding of the topic.
  • vikixcvikixc Posts: 330 Member
    Nindigo wrote: »
    Karon wrote: »
    After the update yesterday I just have something to say: the simgurus have to learn what "priorities" mean! Nobody needed a gallery overhaul...

I was attacked for saying this on another post. I was also attacked for it in the livestream, now it seems like more people have realised how pointless it was :anguished:

Arrogance is still uncalled for, and nobody can speak for everybody else. SimGurus don't need to "learn" anything and some people needed a gallery overhaul. Watch your statements, people. I, for one, do not appreciate when others think they speak on my behalf. Thank you.

The thing is I never spoke for anyone else. I said it was a pointless feature update and I expressed my dissapointment.

Thank you.
    2UFyFUV.png

• drake_mccartydrake_mccarty Posts: 6,114 Member
    filipomel wrote: »
    It’s not unplayable for me (so far, knock on wood), but I’ve seen a couple of frustrating bugs, and I feel sorry for the simmers whose games are becoming unplayable. :frowning:

Still, I got bugs in Sims 3 and a few really bad ones in Skyrim (really bad bugs—there were times when you couldn’t finish quests or lost stuff because of this bugs!), and I still managed to enjoy the games.

I had to eventually download an unofficial patch mod for Skyrim, the bugs were that bad, lol! :astonished: My goodness!

Bugs are hard to fix, I get that, believe me. However, when the mod creators are finding ways to fix them and the company doesn't there's something wrong. It's bad practice to let the community find workarounds and fixes, meanwhile the company appears to be twiddling their thumbs.

This is where transparency comes in. It would do a lot for my perception of EA if, when a mod creator fixes an issue (almost immediately, mind you), someone at EA spoke up and thanked them. That mod creator basically showed EA the way and, whenever possible, EA should follow, test, and refine then release an official patch.

TS3 ended and many of the bugs were never fixed by EA. However, mod creators were able to fix them, years prior, in some cases.

Perhaps my view of the situation is oversimplified. But I'll never know because EA doesn't say anything.

My assumption is that when a modder creates a fix for a bug, they're not necessarily making a fix, but more so a work-around within the coding to make the game run as if the bug doesn't exist, when in reality it does, it just doesn't happen anymore. Another guess of mine is that when the developers create a fix, they create it with solutions and methods in mind to prevent it from happening/breaking again (even tho this still happens), so when a developer creates a fix, a lot more work goes into it than what a modder could/would be able to possibly do. These are just guesses, I have no idea if any of this is true by any means, but it makes sense from my understanding of the topic.

So a modder eliminates a bug and it’s a work around, but Maxis does it and it’s a fix? I don’t think you’re giving enough credit to the modders it’s not as simple as you make it out to be, and yes when a modder stops a bug from happening I would consider that a fix not simply a workaround. Anymore Maxis solutions could be considered work arounds because none of the recent bug fixes have made a different with the bugs.

Here’s a more accurate description: modders fix bugs because they find them annoying and to do the community a service which EA is terrible at, Maxis will fix bugs if enough people consistently report it and they can replicate it, but otherwise it’s not a big deal for them.
  • CynnaCynna Posts: 2,369 Member
    edited August 2018
    So a modder eliminates a bug and it’s a work around, but Maxis does it and it’s a fix? I don’t think you’re giving enough credit to the modders it’s not as simple as you make it out to be, and yes when a modder stops a bug from happening I would consider that a fix not simply a workaround.

I couldn't agree more.

I fail to see the negative in a workaround when a workaround produces positive results. To me, if a bug is no longer actively mucking up my game, problem solved. If it's only a temporary solution until something better is found, so be it. If EA is honest about that, I'm fine with it, seriously.

The only workaround that I will never get behind is: completely chucking a feature. (::cough:: open world, CASt, player editable worlds ::cough:: )

Mod creators really aren't getting the credit that they're due. I'm very grateful that EA has said that they will be taking a closer look at some of the mods that are out there. A fresh pair of eyes often brings fresh perspective. The game needs that.
    I3Ml5Om.jpg
  • JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    filipomel wrote: »

Please tell the devs I’ll settle for the work-around method then. If it works?
    5JZ57S6.png
  • MaggieMarleyMaggieMarley Posts: 5,299 Member
    edited August 2018
    Obviously, I am not any sort of programmer. So, hats off to the work that EA does. I don’t know how difficult it may be to avoid introducing bugs into a game, or to fix them. I know that it’s very easy to find fault and perhaps not so easy for them to fix these issues.

But, as a player, I do have to admit that the sheer amount of bugs does get me down. And, I would much rather that EA work on fixing them, before introducing new content. I realise that this won’t make them more profits, whereas producing new packs will... But, don’t they owe this to their players who bought the game on trust that it would run well?

When I look at the list of bug fixes on patch notes I am always disappointed. The bugs that they fix are never the ones I have experienced or which would really impact my game.

Below are a list of the bugs I would like to see fixed next, because they are the ones which annoy me most. I can always hope, right?

- No more walking through objects/other sims

- Faster cancelling of an action

- Sims do not stand around for ages before performing an action

- Cancelled actions no longer get stuck in the action queue and require a sim reset to get rid of

- Sims no longer get “stuck” in a conversation which they have left hours ago (I.e. the conversation panel remains although the conversation is over)

- Sims no longer get their skill bar stick above their heads

- Blonde child sims no longer have an issue where their eyebrows change colour

- Umbrella glitches are fixed

- Perfectly sun resistant vampires no longer use an umbrella in the day to protect from the sun

- Get rid of the issue where the game will refuse to save/enter build and buy because it says a sim is aging up (although it isn’t even any sim’s birthday)

- Sims no longer get stuck under the stairs

- Sims no longer teleport

- Get rid of leaf piles which cannot be cleared up

- Unplayed Sims no longer change clothes to random outfits which have not been assigned to them

- Clicking between sims’ portraits at the bottom left of the screen (to change control to another sim) always works first time. Currently, it may take several clicks.

ETA:

- Can we also get rid of this infuriating circle: Parent picks toddler up. Puts toddler in high chair. Picks toddler up. Puts toddler on floor. Picks toddler up. Puts toddler in high chair. Picks toddler up. Puts toddler in high chair.. And so on.

- And, can vampires with the weakness that they cannot eat human food not autonomously “grab a serving” and start eating after they have prepared a dish? Vampire parents need to make food for their children which they aren’t going to eat themselves. Because 99% of the time I am unsuccessful in cancelling the “grab a serving” action, my vampire parents end up getting themselves sick.

No, these issues are not constant. But, when they do occur they are annoying and I wish that they would be fixed. I have no CC and the only mod I use is MCCC. I know it’s not just me experiencing these bugs as I have seen others post about them.
    Post edited by MaggieMarley on
  • SimburianSimburian Posts: 6,906 Member
    edited August 2018
    I've noticed the walking through objects and other Sims seems to have got worse lately and dogs getting stuck between Sims legs I noticed as well. It's as if they are all acting like ghosts.
  • TamakiSakura84TamakiSakura84 Posts: 543 Member
    I think they need to halt work on new packs until they fix the bugs.
    edited August 2018
    There are a multitude of different teams working on all of this stuff though. How does a team that has nothing to do with fixing bugs overhauling the gallery affect anything? I think there are too many on here not realizing this. They have a team dedicated to bugs and entirely separate teams for any new content introduced (ep team, gp team, sp team and many others). So halting anything or not doing the gallery update would not make the bugs get fixed faster. They need to be fixed sure but those saying they need to stop other things need to understand this won’t help speed up the process. Be nice if it did but that’s really not how it works. These teams overall know what they are doing, bugs will get fixed but I’m not sure it’s a bad thing if other things get tweaked and updated along the way. As long as it doesn’t cause any further issues (I know the gallery is problematic right now), I’m cool with it.
  • MaggieMarleyMaggieMarley Posts: 5,299 Member
    edited August 2018
    Akl500P wrote: »
    There are a multitude of different teams working on all of this stuff though. How does a team that has nothing to do with fixing bugs overhauling the gallery affect anything? I think there are too many on here not realizing this. They have a team dedicated to bugs and entirely separate teams for any new content introduced (ep team, gp team, sp team and many others). So halting anything or not doing the gallery update would not make the bugs get fixed faster. They need to be fixed sure but those saying they need to stop other things need to understand this won’t help speed up the process. Be nice if it did but that’s really not how it works. These teams overall know what they are doing, bugs will get fixed but I’m not sure it’s a bad thing if other things get tweaked and updated along the way. As long as it doesn’t cause any further issues (I know the gallery is problematic right now), I’m cool with it.

Of course, I could be wrong, but I think the issue is that the bug fixing team is understaffed and underfunded compared to the teams working on new content. It would be nice if some of the money which currently is going into funding the teams which design new content could go into recruiting more people for the bug fixing team. So, indirectly, the focus on new packs does mean that bugs are given less attention, because the bug fixing team is smaller and has fewer resources/funds.
    edited August 2018
    I think you are quite right. Fixing bugs is a priority if EA/Maxis want to keep Sims 4 going. It has enough in it to be a good game with what it has now, to sit back for a few months and get things right. That is my opinion only so don't start arguing!

They need someone given top authority and long Sim programming experience to say firmly to designers, "No you cannot do that because it'll break that. Find another way of doing it." Don't make objects etc. and then expect programmers find a way of playing them. Don't rush things EA/Maxis.

Of course, I could be wrong, but I think the issue is that the bug fixing team is understaffed and underfunded compared to the teams working on new content. It would be nice if some of the money which currently is going into funding the teams which design new content could go into recruiting more people for the bug fixing team. So, indirectly, the focus on new packs does mean that bugs are given less attention, because the bug fixing team is smaller and has fewer resources/funds.

Yes I do agree with this as well. I was more addressing those acting like they all worked together to fix problems which is just highly inaccurate. I do think they need a bigger bug team but to their credit I think they have increased it recently since a new guru was added to address issues. Not saying they couldn’t stand to increase it more but they are most likely understaffed and under budgeted as it is.

I wish EA would give them a bigger budget for this reason. Bugs overran and shut down sims 3 and I don’t want to see the same happen to 4 due to not having the budget needed. Sims 3 was an optimization issue not a budget issue, Sims 4 doesn’t have that problem and could be fixed. It’s optimized very well I just don’t think the teams, especially bugs, are big enough right now to fix all problems. But they are trying harder than 3 I give them credit there. They are actually communicating and trying to help people with severe issues. So I think the bugs will be fixed mostly but it will take more time than many want it to take due to these issues being discussed. It’s not anyone’s fault it’s just how it is. Would be nice if they had a better budget but they don’t, so we will see. Maybe it will happen faster than people think.
    They got at least 27 million UK pounds at least by selling over 800,000 Season's packs. They should be able to afford it.
    Simburian wrote: »
    They got at least 27 million UK pounds at least by selling over 800,000 Season's packs. They should be able to afford it.

Not what I was saying at all. We don’t know how much of that goes to EA instead of the developers. I was saying their budget is obviously less now than other sims games due to smaller teams. That’s all, that has nothing to do with sales.

• OtoyoOtoyo Posts: 698 Member
    my game is strangely much slower after the update. I don't have mods, but I do have cc. I think i may just uninstall and install the game again and maybe take all the cc out (except for the default skin) and hope it starts to work a bit more. Its so slow at points that I no longer find it fun to play. :(
    edited August 2018
    Otoyo wrote: »
    my game is strangely much slower after the update. I don't have mods, but I do have cc. I think i may just uninstall and install the game again and maybe take all the cc out (except for the default skin) and hope it starts to work a bit more. Its so slow at points that I no longer find it fun to play. :(

Mine has been like that since Seasons released, I even bought a new PC since then so I know it isn't my PC (it does it on both the old one and the new one)
    My Sims just get stuck for several IRL minutes, everything is sluggish including loading. Mine is also the same without Mods/CC

You can try reinstalling but I don't think it will make much difference I'm afraid, proccess of elimination has led me to the fact it is the game that is screwed up.
    2UFyFUV.png

• OtoyoOtoyo Posts: 698 Member

Mine has been like that since Seasons released, I even bought a new PC since then so I know it isn't my PC (it does it on both the old one and the new one)
    My Sims just get stuck for several IRL minutes, everything is sluggish including loading. Mine is also the same without Mods/CC

You can try reinstalling but I don't think it will make much difference I'm afraid, proccess of elimination has led me to the fact it is the game that is screwed up.

Oh man. Reinstalling was my last choice. I agree I don't think its the computer either.
    My game improved after un-ticking all Options for online sharing and notifications etc. I am taking a rest from all the Gallery unrest and playing offline without Origin in Game as well until it is all sorted out.

Oh man. Reinstalling was my last choice. I agree I don't think its the computer either.

You can try it, it may work for you but I have been going on endless circles trying to fix my game to the point I felt like pulling my hair out. I just hope it will be fixed eventually because I'm not playing until it's fixed.

Good luck!
    2UFyFUV.png