Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Instead of sims 5, double sims 4’s life span

Comments

• CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    edited August 2018
    Gawd no. What do people consider great graphics? Smooth edges? That green color tint these Sims get when they are indoors? unless the Sims are outside I see it on their faces in most people's pictures. Bright, flat paint? Non circular, circular objects? I'm not seeing great graphics.

Great graphics to me are those that make me think I have stepped into the scene and can reach for that leaf and belief it's real. Am I confusing art style with graphics..well, o.k. but blurred faces (a bug that has happened twice already since release) isn't great graphics to me. Nor that green tint of all the Sims' faces when indoors. No one can deny they don't see it, too. Or that ball pit. Lack of detail textures..is that great graphics?

In one month TS4 will be four years old. And people are upset about many, many, many bugs, Lack of content still not in game, watered down activities that were in previous games, and still only the same old LTW/Aspirations/same old emotions/same old reused animations for everything/and somebody wants it to double it's life span to keep going? lol

ETA: Note to the wise, stop while you are ahead. You have pets, seasons, toddlers..end it now. It's only down hill after those.

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • drake_mccartydrake_mccarty Posts: 6,114 Member
    A large scale rewrite would be a waste of money. EA would be better off just developing a brand new game which they could actually make some money off of. The idea that updates lead people to buy DLC isn’t entirely accurate in my opinion.

I also think that the next game has started production recently. There’s no reason to bring out a specific time frame if there’s no planned end to the current title. 3+ years is the equivalent of saying this game will be around for at least 3 years, plus more time if we aren’t ready to show off the next title. I could be wrong, but the wording implies that 3 years is the second wave much like the first wave which lasted 4 years.
  • GoldmoldarGoldmoldar Posts: 11,966 Member
    @Lauri_Anton, It takes more than lovely graphics to make an good game and while I do not think Sims 4 is not an bad game it lacks more in areas that make Sims 4 look like an game made for an tablet. Also, while it may run well on most computers it lacks mostly real challenges such as terrain tools, an map editor, etc. Also, most of the packs are gimped by design in which it may because the game has limitations even if it is said it does not, for to me if it does not have limitations it would be pointless not to use those features if you want to get more potential out of your product. Imho, Sims 4 will always be in the shadows of it's predecessors and not it's own and as said each version takes something to the new version along with the new features and sadly Sims 4 did not do that. :(
    Omen by HP Intel®️ Core™️ i9- 12900K W/ RGB Liquid Cooler 32GB Nvidia RTX 3080 10Gb ASUS Ultra-Wide 34" Curved Monitor. Omen By HP Intel® Core™ i7-12800HX 32 GB Nvidia 3070 Ti 8 GB 17.3 Screen
  • TS1299TS1299 Posts: 1,604 Member
    Many thinga are still possible. There are still many things that could have change. For example nobody told us ever that cars is very unlikely in the game. Like they said they want to add cars in a meaningful way. In a gamewhere they have neighborhoods above the sky, plaza wothout any roads, islands wothout roads, and a jungle in which the neighborhood has no road, they have to fogure out how can they add cars in a meaningful way, in which they can finally say to themseleves its worth the rescources.
    Something that isn't planned yet can be planned for tomorrow. The console version wasn't planned on 2015 when SimGuruLynsy was asked on twitter, then 1 year later it was announced that we will have a console version. There is no need to rerwite the code. Color Wheel is possible, it waa just not in the priority. Even Story Progression is possible.
  • EliharbEliharb Posts: 476 Member
    Sims 4 has amazing graphics.
    I have a problem with this. It doesn't, even for a sims game it doesn't have amazing graphics. The sims 2 had better textures than the bland style we have today. As for the horrible lighting, which anyone would recognize if they played, well.. anything, it lacks depth and contrast on every level.
    ... but the clunky game needs to be rewritten (yes, from scratch pretty much), if it wants to be remembered as the best Sims game so far (and yes, it is a possibility).

This all comes down to the Sims 4 obviously being rushed out. The code was incomplete and lacked many essential features (that now literally every player yearns desperately for), yet it was released. Now devs can’t implement cars, swimming in lakes, story progression, smart sims & other necessities without rewriting the code.

You can't "extend" the lifespan of TS4 by rewriting base game code. The game was designed on an engine that's better suited for online multiplayer, which is what they wanted to do. You can't rewrite that code because all released packs were made based on that code.

So as much as I understand where you're coming from, these things are not possible. I want terrain tools, open-source worlds we can clone and customize, swimmable oceans, wants and fears, and cars and more NPCs. But the game simply wasn't built for these things.
    Playing on Intel Core i7-5960X 16 core CPU - 32 GB DDR4 Ram - GTX 980 Ti
  • keylimepiesimskeylimepiesims Posts: 1,908 Member
    I also think that the next game has started production recently. There’s no reason to bring out a specific time frame if there’s no planned end to the current title. 3+ years is the equivalent of saying this game will be around for at least 3 years, plus more time if we aren’t ready to show off the next title. I could be wrong, but the wording implies that 3 years is the second wave much like the first wave which lasted 4 years.

Ah man I hope you’re right, still, 3 years is going to be such a painful wait! Unless we get a CAW tool that is, I think that alone would tide me over until TS5.
  • PegasysPegasys Posts: 1,135 Member
    edited August 2018
    I doubt TS5 is past the conceptual stages, if it's being planned at all.

Not all franchises need to continue indefinitely. I personally believe the Sims franchise will end at TS4, but there will still be 3-5 years of content.
  • elelunicyelelunicy Posts: 2,004 Member

They’ve always had a rolling 3-year plan. Grant’s comment doesn’t tell us anything new besides they don’t currently have a plan to end the game (within a specific time frame).

http://simscommunity.info/2016/03/11/the-sims-4-series-will-be-active-for-at-least-next-two-years/

Also I doubt TS5 is in production. Maybe in pre-production as games can spend a long time in this period. The actual production period doesn’t last very long and it’s too early to start now. Given the recent layoffs they likely need to hire more devs for TS5 to be in full production too.
    qidpmcvgek8y.png
  • JestTruJestTru Posts: 1,761 Member
    I thought they were doing that. If they we're gonna start releasing sims5 we'd be coming to the end of 4 by next year. And there's so much more to go for this game.
    WbUrFQm.png
  • peterskywalkerpeterskywalker Posts: 553 Member
    This would be fantastic if this happened. However, I highly doubt that they will rewrite the code for the sims 4 as EA has never done that before for any sims game.

The sims 3 had a terrible engine, and they kept that to the very end. In fact, instead of fixing it, EA instead gave the players the ability to pick what packs to play with and even recommended that only a few packs be used at a time.

I still enjoy the sims 4, but unfortunately I think the engine will stay the same. That doesn't mean they can't fix the lag, or add new features which expand/push the engine further. I remember when the gurus said they could never modify old worlds (i.e. put public items in them) but they did that for seasons where certain stands and skating rinks will spawn in those worlds. Therefore, technically, it may one day be possible to edit public spaces, or get terrain tools.

I think another thing that would vastly help the sims 4 is if they add a world editor like the sims 3. Since you can freely visit whatever world you want in the game, giving players the ability to make or download worlds would add a lot of repeatability to the game, and give people more options for places to live, visit, or vacation.
    True Love
    Terrific Family Play
    Too fun
    The sims 2 forever
  • jooxisjooxis Posts: 515 Member
    I don't think there will be a Sims 5 right after Sims 4 honestly. They will continue Sims 4 for a few more years and retire the franchise for a period of time (some years most likely) and then do a Sims Reboot. My money's on that.
  • drake_mccartydrake_mccarty Posts: 6,114 Member
    elelunicy wrote: »

They’ve always had a rolling 3-year plan. Grant’s comment doesn’t tell us anything new besides they don’t currently have a plan to end the game (within a specific time frame).

http://simscommunity.info/2016/03/11/the-sims-4-series-will-be-active-for-at-least-next-two-years/

Also I doubt TS5 is in production. Maybe in pre-production as games can spend a long time in this period. The actual production period doesn’t last very long and it’s too early to start now. Given the recent layoffs they likely need to hire more devs for TS5 to be in full production too.

Oh have they? Well this is the first they’ve discussed that, so my apologies to you.

Also, neither of us know what the staffing looks like at Maxis so it’s really up to you for what you want to believe. They said they have content planned for 3+ years, not something they have said before, and not something that says we have no planned end it says they have plans for at least 3 years but not indefinitely. Preproduction, production, whatever, my point being this second wave of Sims 4 is when I predict the follow up will be produced. Agree, disagee, do whatever. It’s all guessing for the next 3+ years
  • marcel21marcel21 Posts: 12,341 Member
    I find the game very satisfying at the moment and can live with some more packs, but I fear the whole thing will drown in bugs. On the other hand TS5 may be online plum for 7 years old children ...

some of the game is satisfying at the moment.
    i still have many favorites still not present.
    however,
    this is my fear. A game for 7 year old children :#
    Origin ID MichaelUKingdon

• CynnaCynna Posts: 2,369 Member
    edited August 2018
    I hope that someone at EA has, at least, begun to think about starting TS5. If they haven't, it doesn't seem to bode well for the continuation of the series. I have no data to back that up, but it's just a gut feeling.

In an industry where things tend to move quickly and innovations abound, continuously tacking things onto a ten year old single-player game seems counterproductive. I hope that the Sims series will be the outlier in that respect, rather than the norm.
    I find the game very satisfying at the moment and can live with some more packs, but I fear the whole thing will drown in bugs. On the other hand TS5 may be online plum for 7 years old children ...

The bugs are something that I've been worried about since EA began releasing stuff packs as if they were Pez.

The more working parts that there are, the more likely that there's going to be a breakdown somewhere. I think that theory holds here. After twenty-five (?) additions, TS4 is already showing multiple cracks, despite being 64-bit and having more bug fixes. Yet, there's so much that still hasn't been added to the game.

It looks like the next three years are going to be rough. :/

Post edited by Cynna on
    I3Ml5Om.jpg
  • marcel21marcel21 Posts: 12,341 Member
    leetamme wrote: »
    I thought they were doing that. If they we're gonna start releasing sims5 we'd be coming to the end of 4 by next year. And there's so much more to go for this game.

your right they have announced that more packs will be coming over the next 3 years.
    Origin ID MichaelUKingdon

• Louise_G0325Louise_G0325 Posts: 1,040 Member
    I couldn't agree more. The chances of me buying TS5 is practically 0% because I don't want to spend a mountain of money once again on a sims game from scratch. I also like TS4 a lot, but the core isn't nearly good enough for me yet. If the base problems are addressed and they give us what we were promised in advertisements, I would be more than willing to buy years of DLC to enhance it even further. I also feel TS4 isn't nearly ready to be left alone to make a new title. I don't see how the devs will be able to give the things we want in only 3 years at all. So I'm actually counting on it that they do what you suggest, otherwise I'd be angry that I've wasted my money on products that I am unsatisfied with. Honestly it's kind of ridiculous that we have to buy a bare canvass and then spend way more money to make that original thing fun. The packs are supposed to enhance the game, not be required to make the game more bareable.
  • CynnaCynna Posts: 2,369 Member
    The packs are supposed to enhance the game, not be required to make the game more bareable.

That's a great point right there.
    I3Ml5Om.jpg
  • simvasionsimvasion Posts: 110 Member
    I agree that they should just continually keep adding to and improving The Sims 4. I'm really tired of the mentality to just throw all the packs I bought away and have to start again from scratch with a new iteration. And you usually end up just asking for remakes of old packs, like Seasons for example.

I loved The Sims 2, but now looking back at the graphics makes me cringe. I hated the way the sims looked all doll-faced in The Sims 3. I really like the style and aesthetics of The Sims 4 and how great my sims look, and I really like the emotion and multitasking features.

Looking back at older videos of The Sims 4 at launch, you can tell that they have been able to overhaul major parts of the engine or add new features incrementally. I was watching an older video of the map view for example and how hideously bland the neighbourhoods looked, or the conversation system and the ugly bar at the top of the screen (I like the way it currently looks now). And they added new things like half walls, glass roofs, a retail system, vacations, toddlers...

I believe that they can keep improving the game, for example with a create a neighbourhood feature (maybe not as ambitious as a whole world). Like they can give you the ability to create a street, plop down some generic background house shells and scenery and then just attach it to an existing world in a side menu or something so they don't have to add it to the highly uneditable map view (uneditable because it's all custom drawn art).

Or even just enabling open neighbourhoods without loading screens between lots on the same street (it seems like it should work, because when you load a lot, it already loads everything around it - like I can peek through the windows of the house next door and see all the furniture and stuff loaded).

They can overcome engine limitations - the most recent update to the gallery even includes one where you can drop a house from the gallery in Live mode, which they stated on the live stream wasn't possible before but they rewrote the tech to allow it.

I would like them to at least try to address all the issues people have with the game before considering moving on to a new one.
  • BriStarBriStar Posts: 1 New Member
    in my opinion, I think it won't be bad to have Sims 5 released but the name Sims 5 does not have a ring to it and I hope they don't make it look to realistic.
  • SimburianSimburian Posts: 6,906 Member
    No, but I've already decided not to buy any more packs, only get the Patches for this iteration. I've had enough of EA/Maxis.
  • CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    edited August 2018
    Galactrix wrote: »
    I agree that they should just continually keep adding to and improving The Sims 4. I'm really tired of the mentality to just throw all the packs I bought away and have to start again from scratch with a new iteration. And you usually end up just asking for remakes of old packs, like Seasons for example.

I loved The Sims 2, but now looking back at the graphics makes me cringe. I hated the way the sims looked all doll-faced in The Sims 3. I really like the style and aesthetics of The Sims 4 and how great my sims look, and I really like the emotion and multitasking features.

Looking back at older videos of The Sims 4 at launch, you can tell that they have been able to overhaul major parts of the engine or add new features incrementally. I was watching an older video of the map view for example and how hideously bland the neighbourhoods looked, or the conversation system and the ugly bar at the top of the screen (I like the way it currently looks now). And they added new things like half walls, glass roofs, a retail system, vacations, toddlers...

I believe that they can keep improving the game, for example with a create a neighbourhood feature (maybe not as ambitious as a whole world). Like they can give you the ability to create a street, plop down some generic background house shells and scenery and then just attach it to an existing world in a side menu or something so they don't have to add it to the highly uneditable map view (uneditable because it's all custom drawn art).

Or even just enabling open neighbourhoods without loading screens between lots on the same street (it seems like it should work, because when you load a lot, it already loads everything around it - like I can peek through the windows of the house next door and see all the furniture and stuff loaded).

They can overcome engine limitations - the most recent update to the gallery even includes one where you can drop a house from the gallery in Live mode, which they stated on the live stream wasn't possible before but they rewrote the tech to allow it.

I would like them to at least try to address all the issues people have with the game before considering moving on to a new one.

I don't see dropping a house on a Sim's head in live mode as an improvement. We could already drop Sims into the game which was shown by Ryan and Graham in one of the very first trailers. Drop them right in to spruce up a party going on. Adding that feature to drop houses doesn't seem like it's that big of a leap. And for all the so called improvements to the gallery, there were like ten thousand complaints after the gallery patch. It broke it.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • KaronKaron Posts: 2,332 Member
    edited August 2018
    Cinebar wrote: »
    Gawd no. What do people consider great graphics? Smooth edges? That green color tint these Sims get when they are indoors? unless the Sims are outside I see it on their faces in most people's pictures. Bright, flat paint? Non circular, circular objects? I'm not seeing great graphics.

Great graphics to me are those that make me think I have stepped into the scene and can reach for that leaf and belief it's real. Am I confusing art style with graphics..well, o.k. but blurred faces (a bug that has happened twice already since release) isn't great graphics to me. Nor that green tint of all the Sims' faces when indoors. No one can deny they don't see it, too. Or that ball pit. Lack of detail textures..is that great graphics?

In one month TS4 will be four years old. And people are upset about many, many, many bugs, Lack of content still not in game, watered down activities that were in previous games, and still only the same old LTW/Aspirations/same old emotions/same old reused animations for everything/and somebody wants it to double it's life span to keep going? lol

ETA: Note to the wise, stop while you are ahead. You have pets, seasons, toddlers..end it now. It's only down hill after those.

@Cinebar
    I dont think "realistic" graphics would suit The Sims. I like the cartoony aproach more. But, it is not an excuse to be a crap game... Sims 2 was cartoony and it is way better even than sims 3.
    A large scale rewrite would be a waste of money. EA would be better off just developing a brand new game which they could actually make some money off of. The idea that updates lead people to buy DLC isn’t entirely accurate in my opinion.

@drake_mccarty
    Hm, you have a limited point of view about the "rewriting" that was suggested. It doesnt mean that the game would end its DLCS there.Sims 3 had 11 EPs. I am pretty sure they could keep releasing stuff. They could even give to msot of the players what they specifically desire, like the Into The Past EP, and a Into The Future remake... Would even give enough time to include all the supernatural life states (Grant has already said that they will probably not be able to add all of the life states we had in sims 3).

Besides that, i have said that before and i will repeat it: Everytime i see someone giving ideas for "The Sims 5" one or other simmer comes with a "Oh, but Sims 4 isnt over yet, stop rushing sims 5, blablabla", and guys... Do you realize that the day Sims 4 is over, we are not going to have any time to discuss what we want in the Sims 5 Base Game? Like... it doesnt make sense. If you want something in the TS5 Base Game, we should start discussing it at the minute Sims 4 was released.
    Eliharb wrote: »
    You can't "extend" the lifespan of TS4 by rewriting base game code. The game was designed on an engine that's better suited for online multiplayer, which is what they wanted to do. You can't rewrite that code because all released packs were made based on that code.

So as much as I understand where you're coming from, these things are not possible. I want terrain tools, open-source worlds we can clone and customize, swimmable oceans, wants and fears, and cars and more NPCs. But the game simply wasn't built for these things.

@Eliharb
    Yes, they can extend the lifespan of TS4 by rewriting base game code, its not impossible. The problem is: EA Games. They are not going to give money for that, cuz they would have to release an "entire game" for free.
    Some games even do that (i know thta minecraft graphics is nothing like Sims 4, but its there to show that a game can be rewrited to evolve), but i think it should have been designed to be able to do that since the release day. IDK.

Ah man I hope you’re right, still, 3 years is going to be such a painful wait! Unless we get a CAW tool that is, I think that alone would tide me over until TS5.

@keylimepiesims I would actually be pleased if Sims 5 took more than 3 years of production, not cuz i am the biggest fan of Sims 4, but... 3 years seems to be the leats time a Base Game got to be produced. Thats alarming.
    The packs are supposed to enhance the game, not be required to make the game more bareable.

@Louise_G0325
    quoting my friend Cynna: "That's a great point right there."
    Post edited by Karon on
  • Sk8rblazeSk8rblaze Posts: 7,570 Member
    The Sims 4 will always be fragmented by the fact it started as a radical re-envisioning of the series with a multiplayer mode and story mode. Its existence defeats the very purpose of a new base game; it's a broken foundation, when a base game is supposed to provide a very solid one to build years of content with.

Salvaging it into the modern day, single player, The Sims 4 that we all know today cost EA a lot of time and a lot of money. And, since it's EA, where deadlines matter more than quality of their games, The Sims 4 took a noticeable hit in quality. There is so little innovation here. The features which sound like innovation on paper (multitasking, emotions, focus on the Sims themselves) all have major caveats or do not work as intended.

It would be far more ideal if The Sims 5 started development now, while The Sims 4 is still pumping out packs. This is how it was done during The Sims 1, 2, and 3, when their successor was in development. As long as it's envisioned as a single player experience from start to finish, it will have an immense head start over The Sims 4.
  • filipomelfilipomel Posts: 1,693 Member
    jooxis wrote: »
    I don't think there will be a Sims 5 right after Sims 4 honestly. They will continue Sims 4 for a few more years and retire the franchise for a period of time (some years most likely) and then do a Sims Reboot. My money's on that.

Define reboot, because I would consider Sims 4 to be a reboot but we all know how that ended up. I'm not against a reboot, but it would have to be done right, because as much as I love Sims 4, the direction the game is currently going definitely caters towards more specific groups of players, while past games catered to all kinds of players the best they could.
  • LittlBowBubLittlBowBub Posts: 1,745 Member
    I like sims 4 more now, as time goes on it has defiently gotten much better. I don't think I would buy the next version.. it seems like a waste building up your collection to have to start back at base game again. This is number 4 haha. I would rather they revist previous editions, fix them and make them available for all to buy. I wouldn't mind them releasing spin off versions.