Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

(SOLVED)Windows 10 Version 1803 Making TS4 impossible to play? Help!

RetrospaciveRetrospacive Posts: 74 Member
So I've just gotten a new computer, and it updated to version 1803. After it did so, I can't even play the game. It's so choppy and laggy. It was running amazingly before. I know there have been experiences with this version but has anyone found a solution? I need my sims fix dang it!
Bring Me The Disco King.
Post edited by Retrospacive on

Comments

• GoldmoldarGoldmoldar Posts: 11,966 Member
    edited August 2018
    So I've just gotten a new computer, and it updated to version 1803. After it did so, I can't even play the game. It's so choppy and laggy. It was running amazingly before. I know there have been experiences with this version but has anyone found a solution? I need my sims fix dang it!

Check your device drivers, I lost one of my laptops to an Windows update, it bricked it and no matter what advice MS gave it did not work. Luckily it was an older laptop and not my newest one, I sort of lost faith in Windows.
    Post edited by Goldmoldar on
    Omen by HP Intel®️ Core™️ i9- 12900K W/ RGB Liquid Cooler 32GB Nvidia RTX 3080 10Gb ASUS Ultra-Wide 34" Curved Monitor. Omen By HP Intel® Core™ i7-12800HX 32 GB Nvidia 3070 Ti 8 GB 17.3 Screen
  • RetrospaciveRetrospacive Posts: 74 Member
    Goldmoldar wrote: »

Check your Device drivers, I lost one of my laptops to an Windows update, it bricked it and No matter what advice MS gave it did not work. Luckily it was an older laptop and not my newest one, I sort of lost faith in Windows.

Jesus that’s scary. How do I check my device drivers?
    I’m wavy with tech but not computers, honestly
    Bring Me The Disco King.

Check your Device drivers, I lost one of my laptops to an Windows update, it bricked it and No matter what advice MS gave it did not work. Luckily it was an older laptop and not my newest one, I sort of lost faith in Windows.

Just run DXdiag and look for driver date, did not mean to scare you but I never thought in a thousand years that would not happen to me. I do not like how MS is changing Windows.
    Omen by HP Intel®️ Core™️ i9- 12900K W/ RGB Liquid Cooler 32GB Nvidia RTX 3080 10Gb ASUS Ultra-Wide 34" Curved Monitor. Omen By HP Intel® Core™ i7-12800HX 32 GB Nvidia 3070 Ti 8 GB 17.3 Screen
  • RetrospaciveRetrospacive Posts: 74 Member

Just run DXdiag and look for driver date, did not mean to scare you but I never thought in a thousand years that would not happen to me. I do not like how MS is changing Windows.

OH MY GOSH IT WORKED THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!
    Bring Me The Disco King.
    edited July 2018
    You are welcome, every now and then go to your card site and see what is the latest version. I have Nvidia Geforce installed and it notifies when an new driver comes out, AMD have something similar if your card is AMD.
    Post edited by Goldmoldar on
  • sleekoduck87sleekoduck87 Posts: 255 Member
    If the Sims 4 ran on Linux or the Google OS, I'd update it in a heartbeat. I did see a video on YouTube where a guy got TS4 to work with Linux, but the performance wasn't great. Still, that does make it an option...
    I'm working on adding my mods to Curseforge. In the mean time, check out my YouTube channel & WordPress blog for more. I go by Sleekoduck. I'm also the one who figured out how to play The Sims 2 in Windows 8 and the original fix is on Facebook & LiveJournal. Thanks for the 100 Awesomes everyone!6a00e54ee3905b883301bb07e55862970.jpg
  • nolurknolurk Posts: 249 Member
    Technically,
    If the Sims 4 ran on Linux or the Google OS, I'd update it in a heartbeat. I did see a video on YouTube where a guy got TS4 to work with Linux, but the performance wasn't great. Still, that does make it an option...

Technically, Google OS is a form of Linux, unless you're referring to Android (which was Linux-based, with the kernel even originating with Linux--which is why there are some who consider it a "fork" of Linux or variant of it. It also has some overlap with ChromeOS). If by Google OS, you mean ChromeOS, it actually is Linux--just in a more stripped down form and some tweaking by Google (along with a heavy emphasis upon their various apps and services). It even uses the package repository for a common Linux distro (in the past, it had been Ubuntu's package repository system. In more recent years, they had been using the non-profit distro, Gentoo's repository (which used to be called Portage, but has since been renamed)).

With respect to getting this game to work on a Linux box, having not seen this video, I can't really comment on the method employed (ie if it was WINE or through VM or another form of virtualization or even emulation involved), but if it's through an emulator or utilized virtualization, the performance hit would actually be expected, given that either process involved would in themselves be eating into system resources that might otherwise go toward the game if it were run natively instead.