Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Sims not mourning family members death unless they see it?

Ok, a bit of context. I'm playing a family of five; Mum, Dad, and three kids. After school on Friday night, the three kids went round their cousin's house. The eldest son decided to try cooking out for the first time and started a fire and died (cooking a grilled cheese, of course). His sister saw him die was really upset - but the other sister who was there and didn't see it was completely oblivious. When they got home, Mum and Dad had no idea and weren't upset at all.

The next day it was still the same. I had the Mum mourn and the moodlet was 'a friend has passed' and it only lastest 4 hours, whereas the daughter's moodlet lasted 2 days. Does this always happen, or is it a glitch?

It seems a bit weird that the family all wouldn't automatically be upset about it. At the minute it feels like they're wandering about their house like "huh, I've not seen our son in a while..."

Comments

• ChazzzyChazzzy Posts: 7,166 Member
    edited July 2018
    Idk about that but they said in patch notes recently that if a Sim dies on the home lot while your Sim is at school/work, they will get the same sad buff as though they witnessed it first hand.

That’s all I got.
  • ThePocketWeaselThePocketWeasel Posts: 103 Member
    Chazzzy wrote: »
    Idk about that but they said in patch notes recently that if a Sim dies on the home lot while your Sim is at school/work, they will get the same sad buff as though they witnessed it first hand.

That’s all I got.

Ah so maybe this is just how the game is then if it happens on another lot? Seems kinda strange they didn't include that in with that patch you mentioned. Hopefully, they'll fix it in the next patch.
  • catloverplayercatloverplayer Posts: 93,392 Member
    Ok, a bit of context. I'm playing a family of five; Mum, Dad, and three kids. After school on Friday night, the three kids went round their cousin's house. The eldest son decided to try cooking out for the first time and started a fire and died (cooking a grilled cheese, of course). His sister saw him die was really upset - but the other sister who was there and didn't see it was completely oblivious. When they got home, Mum and Dad had no idea and weren't upset at all.

The next day it was still the same. I had the Mum mourn and the moodlet was 'a friend has passed' and it only lastest 4 hours, whereas the daughter's moodlet lasted 2 days. Does this always happen, or is it a glitch?

It seems a bit weird that the family all wouldn't automatically be upset about it. At the minute it feels like they're wandering about their house like "huh, I've not seen our son in a while..."

This happens on the PC as well so it's not specific to the console version.
    This happens on the PC as well so it's not specific to the console version.

Really? Wow, that surprises me. I would have thought something like that would have been fixed by now, given how much longer the PC version has been out.

• Simsfan99111Simsfan99111 Posts: 1,260 Member
    Sims have always been this way. It's just the way they handle death, if they don't see it happen it doesn't effect them. Its really silly to be honest.
    Sims have always been this way. It's just the way they handle death, if they don't see it happen it doesn't effect them. Its really silly to be honest.

I'd never really noticed it before because I've not had many sim deaths so far. I still wish they would bring back the inheritance system from Sims 2.

• grotesqu3grotesqu3 Posts: 3 New Member
    Omg I had this problem too. My sim’s daughter died and she didn’t even care. I compensated by making her “Mourn” by the grave, and she’s all happy 2 hours later. Can’t even reduce the weirdness. Yeek...
  • Anne_713Anne_713 Posts: 12 New Member
    Happens to me a lot. I tend to try and have twins or triplets and only keep my "fav". The others and the dad usually get fed bad pufferfish. If I feed them while the keeper kid is at school, they never know. You would think they would wonder but...sim world.
  • rjingreyrjingrey Posts: 5 New Member
    > @Anne_713 said:
    > I tend to try and have twins or triplets and only keep my "fav". The others and the dad usually get fed bad pufferfish.

so dark! good dea though - playing on non-pro ps4 with a large household is pretty laggy. i’m lucky we also have a p.o. and unlucky my husband uses the pro/tv setup to mainly watch anime. maybe he needs some bad pufferfish
  • rjingreyrjingrey Posts: 5 New Member
    jeebus i hate typing on my ipad and not being able text and fix my post :(
  • Anne_713Anne_713 Posts: 12 New Member
    > @rjingrey said:
    > > @Anne_713 said:
    > > I tend to try and have twins or triplets and only keep my "fav". The others and the dad usually get fed bad pufferfish.
    >
    > so dark! good dea though - playing on non-pro ps4 with a large household is pretty laggy. i’m lucky we also have a p.o. and unlucky my husband uses the pro/tv setup to mainly watch anime. maybe he needs some bad pufferfish

It’s the quickest way to get rid of “extras” that I don’t want lol
  • Bluebirddevil5970Bluebirddevil5970 Posts: 400 Member
    Since the big update now they will mourn them once they go home or to the place they died
  • MelmackMelmack Posts: 212 Member
    Actually they don't even need to be on the same lot. One of my sims all of a sudden got sad and it was because her father had died. It even specified which family member had passed. I think this is new , because i don't remember anything like that before.
    Yeah it is new came with the update
    Also I got a phone call that one of my Sims friend died and he became sad straight away
  • LanieBorneLanieBorne Posts: 74 Member
    Yeah it is new came with the update

Was this on console?