Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

The New Phantasmal Reading Circle - closed (Continued on another thread)

Comments

• Options
    simscognitosimscognito Posts: 16,599 Member
    @simscognito Just finished the latest chapter. Wow... I'm glad it was posted while I was reading so I didn't end on the massive cliffhanger that was chapter 48.

The scene with Alex learning the guitar was really sweet. Feels like one of those memories that would really stick with a person, especially in a gorgeous setting like that.

It seems Luna is the first member of Alex's family to actually try meeting Henry, talking to him, and trying to gauge for herself if he's secretly plotting to murder her grandson. ^_^;; Not unbelievable, given the tension between the families, but a part of me was thinking, "Finally! Go, Luna!"

I know this is small part of the plot, but I love how the dogs have their own thoughts, which are constantly centered on, "How can I get more attention?"

Anyway, I'll be able to comment chapter by chapter now with everyone else. @NyteRose, I got a few chapters behind on your story, but I'm catching up there next.

And, finally, here's the latest chapter of Newcrest Rising: http://www.fanfiction.katrinasforest.com/2018/11/24/newcrest-rising-chapter-2/

Good to be back. :)

@katrinasforest aw thanks. Just let me know when you're ready to share your story and I'll put it up on the front page of the thread. :)
  • Options
    @katrinasforest Oh gosh I just realised you had started a story. I'm so sorry. Looking forward to reading it.
  • Options
    Just caught up with your story @katrinasforest . It's really interesting. I'm enjoying it.
    have to say, I thought for a moment that Elliot was going to turn Lexi. XD
  • Options
    @katrinasforest sorry for the spam, but I've added your story to the front page. Can you please send me a quick synopsis of your story so I can include that as well? :)
  • Options
    katrinasforestkatrinasforest Posts: 1,002 Member
    @NyteRose, I'm having issues logging in to comment on your blog (that's on my end with WordPress, I think, not yours.) But I did want to comment that I thought your last chapter was very romantic.

I wonder... what makes Alex think he might have to give up his dream? Don't get me wrong--it's very sweet that he's willing to. But I'd hope Jasmina's boss would be flexible with her location as long as she turns in her work via e-mail and stays in communication.
    Watch me mash together Sims and Pokémon to tell a story about battling glitches in Penny Saves Paldea. Updated every other Thursday.
  • Options
    edited December 2018
    @simscognito No, worries, you weren't spamming. I'm just super busy on Saturdays. I'm generally lucky to check my e-mail, let alone the forums. ^_^;;

Anyways, thanks for adding me to the front page. Here's the summary I'm using on AO3:

Windenburg and Forgotten Hollow have it so easy with all their premade houses and established families. But in a desperate world of empty lots, one man tries to put Newcrest on the map. Hmm? Yes, we KNOW it's technically "on the map." We meant in the figurative sense, and--oh, just read the story. Please? It has vampires! Vampires are cool... right?

As to warnings, I can't think of any. Mild profanity if you count Miss Hell's name, I suppose, but that's only used once in the prologue. Maybe some mild violence/adult situations, but nothing that couldn't occur in regular Sims gameplay. No trigger warnings.

Thank you again!
    Watch me mash together Sims and Pokémon to tell a story about battling glitches in Penny Saves Paldea. Updated every other Thursday.
  • Options
    NyteRoseNyteRose Posts: 1,672 Member
    edited December 2018
    @katrinasforest Well, Jas may or may not have to worry about job flexibility if Alex does get that big break (that will be covered in a later chapter) but I'm not saying how or by who...
    But on the other hand, Jas wouldn't want to stand in the way of Alex chasing/achieving his dream. Does that make sense?
    Post edited by NyteRose on
    It can't rain all the time- Eric Draven, The Crow
  • Options
    Hi everyone, so tomorrow we're going to begin our spotlighting again.

The order will be
    @NyteRose
    @simscognito
    @BlackUndecimber
    @katrinasforest

Is everyone okay with this order?
  • Options
    Also @katrinasforest I updated the front page. Let me know if there's anything else you would like me to add. :)
  • Options
    edited December 2018
    @simscognito The order works for me. Trying to write out Chapter 25 but it's not going well lol.
    Totally off-topic but I love my new desktop background: it's a fanart drawing of Caleb <3
  • Options
    @NyteRose By any chance, is it this fanart, or one by the same artist: https://www.deviantart.com/june-b/art/Caleb-and-Mayer-Whiskers-in-Wolfsbane-Manor-720844127 (That's the Caleb fanart I have as my phone background, and she has a lot of nice Caleb pics. ^_^ )

@simscognito The order works for me as well!
  • Options
  • Options
    @NyteRose Ooo! That's some really nice fanart, too! Now I have a new artist on dA to follow. Thanks! :)
  • Options
    Hi everyone. so this week we are spotlighting @NyteRose's story.
    @NyteRose do you have any questions for the readers?
    And readers you're welcome to ask the author questions too. :)
  • Options
    @simscognito I don't know what to ask :D
    At this point, my brain is fried due to my heavy output this month and I just don't know what to write :s I have issues to resolve, issues to still bring up, and I'm utterly lost! Plus I know some people are absent/not caught up and I want to give them a chance to catch up if that makes sense.
  • Options
    BlackUndecimberBlackUndecimber Posts: 1,116 Member
    NyteRose wrote: »
    At this point, my brain is fried due to my heavy output this month and I just don't know what to write :s I have issues to resolve, issues to still bring up, and I'm utterly lost! Plus I know some people are absent/not caught up and I want to give them a chance to catch up if that makes sense.

If you mean me, don't worry, I've been keeping up :)
  • Options

Ohh okay. That's alright. How about we start then. Readers! What have you enjoyed about NyteRose's story so far? :)
    For me, I've really enjoyed Lilith. She's such an interesting person and so different to the other characters in your story. She's practical and very sensible. A lovely contrast to Caleb.
  • Options
    edited December 2018
    Totally uncreative and unoriginal but:

Who is your favorite character and why?
    Do you have a favorite scene/dialogue? If so, what is it?

All I can think up for now :D
  • Options
    edited December 2018
    @NyteRose I've caught up as well, so no worries here. :)

I agree with @simscognito. I like the way you handle Lilith in this story. It'd be easy to make her overbearing and annoying since she's coming between Jasmina and Caleb, but her concerns are legitimate. You can tell Caleb is headed toward some bad decisions from the way he blows her off and won't ever discuss his problems. It's good foreshadowing.

Along those same lines, one of my favorite scenes is at the end of chapter 10 when Lilith confronts Caleb and asks what he plans to do if Keegan turns Jasmina. He never actually answers her, even though it's a good question, and it shows a lot about the mental state that he's in.

For whatever it's worth, I have trouble asking questions about my own work, too. I think it's habit more than anything. I'm used to the writer being quiet one. ^_^ I once was in a writing class once where the writer was forbidden to say anything while others were discussing the work. (Which made sense, because we'd never get through all the stories otherwise.) But it's nice to have a back-and-forth, even if starting the conversation is tricky sometimes.

Here's hoping you're feeling super creative and inspired really soon! (*hands over Inspired Potion*)
  • Options
    Currently, at work on Chapter 25, it should be posted in a week, maybe a bit longer/sooner, really depends on how creative I am lol. The chapter will have family drama, cats, and more :p
  • Options
    Family drama and cats? What more can one ask for? :wink:

I probably have another week before another Newcrest Rising chapter will be ready. The script is done, though. Gonna try to take the screencaps tomorrow.

Here's hoping both of us feel super creative tomorrow. :)
  • Options
    BlackUndecimberBlackUndecimber Posts: 1,116 Member

Ohh okay. That's alright. How about we start then. Readers! What have you enjoyed about NyteRose's story so far? :)
    For me, I've really enjoyed Lilith. She's such an interesting person and so different to the other characters in your story. She's practical and very sensible. A lovely contrast to Caleb.

I've got to agree that I love Lilith, but the thing I enjoyed most about this story was how dramatic it was. It's full of action at every turn, and it's super fun to read out loud.
    Totally uncreative and unoriginal but:

All I can think up for now :D

Like I said above, Lilith! She's very tortured here, trying to keep her brother happy but failing due to circumstance. I admire her love of family, though it doesn't seem to be very well reciprocated by Caleb. If only she will go to find her own happiness.

It's a deleted scene and I was sad to see it go- I liked that scene where Jasmina called Caleb up in rehab to forgive him. I felt it was a powerful moment for both sides. Poor Alex though, in the middle of a nice date.

With that, I'm sorry to announce I'm leaving the circle. Real life is too hectic and I'm going to take a break from reading or writing. I do hope to return to both reading and writing some day, but when that will be I have no idea. It was great sharing thoughts with all of you here, I'm glad to be able to share my comments one last time and I loved reading your stories. Keep being awesome.
  • Options
    @BlackUndecimber Sad to see you go but good luck to you. Hope things ease up.
  • Options
    @BlackUndecimber thanks for your contribution and all the best for the future.