Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

The New Phantasmal Reading Circle - closed (Continued on another thread)

Comments

• simscognitosimscognito Posts: 16,599 Member
    opps i think we scared everyone off.

@friendsfan367 I think that might be our specialty. :D
    Hi everyone, here's the next chapter of Friends of Foes.

Chapter sixty seven: Henry Joins the Coven
    chapter-sixty-seven-henry-joins-the-coven_orig.png

@friendsfan367 no, I'm meaning this chapter banner. :joy:

thats the one before the tuxes so not the latest. he he. :p

Tis the latest. XD

i looked :) up coven. but i had to pick on you a little cause with the heat its hard to concentrate on playing and writing. :)
    I'm so easy to wind up. :D:D:D

really you seem so chill . mellow.

I meant that with tongue-and-cheek. :p
  • friendsfan367friendsfan367 Posts: 29,362 Member

Chapter sixty seven: Henry Joins the Coven
    chapter-sixty-seven-henry-joins-the-coven_orig.png

@friendsfan367 no, I'm meaning this chapter banner. :joy:

thats the one before the tuxes so not the latest. he he. :p

Tis the latest. XD

i looked :) up coven. but i had to pick on you a little cause with the heat its hard to concentrate on playing and writing. :)
    I'm so easy to wind up. :D:D:D

really you seem so chill . mellow.

I meant that with tongue-and-cheek. :p

thats why i pick on you you take it how it sounds in my head not the way the typing sounds.

that and taking over threads by going off topic. :) i guess we were more on topic this time though.

that and taking over threads by going off topic. :) i guess we were more on topic this time though.

True. I think we deserve a medal for that. XD

True. I think we deserve a medal for that. XD

for 30 minutes of staying on topic .
  • queenvortex808queenvortex808 Posts: 1,033 Member
    I sort of don't understand the purpose of the thread either.... I only come here to read Clan-building for dummies.

@queenvortex808 this is a reading circle where the members read each other's stories and give feedback. Once a week we spotlight a person's story and discuss it. The spotlighted author can also ask the readers questions or advice and vice versa.

non members are very welcome to stop by as well.

Thank you!
    I play on PS4! Otaku here! From the lands of Canada 🇨🇦
    Haha, you clicked, now you have to read all my Sword Art Online fan fiction!
  • LillyDovesLillyDoves Posts: 698 Member
    Hopefully I can get the next chapter up tomorrow! I had to finish building Lockwood Academy where we’ll meet some new friends and foes of our twins.
    TNXKDh4.png
    Of Myth and Magic
  • katrinasforestkatrinasforest Posts: 1,002 Member
    I tell you, I step out for a few days, and it's a chat room in here when I get back. ^_^

It's not that my schedule's bad right now--I'm mostly just playing catch up on a bunch of different things. Getting that book out set me behind at all angles. (My other half even jumped in to DM a side battle in our D&D campaign last weekend.)

@simscognito I love Henry's mother! She looks so beautiful. I wanted to sit Alex down for this line, though: "Just... come home Henry, won't you... hm?" Listen, Alex, you are literally the one who just told him to go and said it was perfectly safe. So don't turn this around and act like he's going off at random and worrying you. :p

(Don't mind me. I talk to fictional characters a lot.)

@queenvortex808 If you want to follow/discuss just Clanbuilding for Dummies, I have a separate thread for that here: https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/949740/6-1-19-clanbuilding-for-dummies-outtakes-a-special-announcement/p1

But feel free to stick around here, too, if you like. I think the reading circle is a great way to find stories similar to ones you already enjoy.

@NyteRose I'm sure I can catch up pretty quickly. If you like, go ahead and post your questions about your story. (Maybe with Realm of Magic in the fall, you'll have some relevant Sims 4 stuff to help show off your characters.)
    Watch me mash together Sims and Pokémon to tell a story about battling glitches in Penny Saves Paldea. Updated every other Thursday.
  • NyteRoseNyteRose Posts: 1,672 Member
    edited June 2019
    @simscognito @katrinasforest @LillyDoves
    Okay, I guess maybe we should start the spotlighting since there won't be issues with people catching up? If that's cool with everyone. ^^
    A little background on Black Swan: it's an AU "what if" version of Stars. It originally started out as small bits of gameplay- Jas meeting Vlad first. I finally decided to flesh out the in-game happenings into a fully-fledged story. Plus I wanted more backstory to Vlad- and to showcase him as more than an evil, bloodsucking fiend. :)

As to questions...

What did you think of the prologue and first chapter? What did or did you not like about it?
    Do you think there's going to be a rivalry between Caleb and Vlad? If so, what or who will cause it?
    What role do you think Lilith will play?

A few pics of the major players... (The text is slightly different from the pictures, FYI.)
    Vladislaus Straud and Jasmina Chase (taken from Kirivian's Fun With Custom Content )
    48049147996_db4d6b84c5.jpgVlad-Jas by nyterose20032000, on Flickr

Caleb Vatore (these CAS shots are from when I was testing out a bit of CC)
    40364197003_a74f3cfcc3.jpg03-09-19_12-08-12 PM by nyterose20032000, on Flickr

Lilith Vatore
    40364195543_4d96746e50.jpg03-09-19_12-08-59 PM by nyterose20032000, on Flickr
    Post edited by NyteRose on
    It can't rain all the time- Eric Draven, The Crow
    I tell you, I step out for a few days, and it's a chat room in here when I get back. ^_^

It's not that my schedule's bad right now--I'm mostly just playing catch up on a bunch of different things. Getting that book out set me behind at all angles. (My other half even jumped in to DM a side battle in our D&D campaign last weekend.)

@simscognito I love Henry's mother! She looks so beautiful. I wanted to sit Alex down for this line, though: "Just... come home Henry, won't you... hm?" Listen, Alex, you are literally the one who just told him to go and said it was perfectly safe. So don't turn this around and act like he's going off at random and worrying you. :p

(Don't mind me. I talk to fictional characters a lot.)

@queenvortex808 If you want to follow/discuss just Clanbuilding for Dummies, I have a separate thread for that here: https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/949740/6-1-19-clanbuilding-for-dummies-outtakes-a-special-announcement/p1

But feel free to stick around here, too, if you like. I think the reading circle is a great way to find stories similar to ones you already enjoy.

@NyteRose I'm sure I can catch up pretty quickly. If you like, go ahead and post your questions about your story. (Maybe with Realm of Magic in the fall, you'll have some relevant Sims 4 stuff to help show off your characters.)

@katrinasforest you're getting a book published? That's great! What's it about?

@NyteRose that's fine. We can start this week. XD
    @simscognito Ok, cool. XD
    I really should be working on the second chapter for Black Swan but my brain keeps coming up with content for my other story, Bloodline. Bad brain, bad! Anyway, here's a sneak peek (this is the story where Lilith becomes Grand Master, btw. ;) )

Melisandra lay on her stomach on the bed, typing eagerly at her laptop. Draven, her pet dumbo rat with solid black fur and ruby eyes chittered happily. More pleased squeaks came from the creature as she paused to scratch his head and his long, ropy tail curled around her hand. The rat clambered up Melisandra’s arm and sat on her shoulder, blanketed underneath a fall of hair. It chattered again and watched the screen curiously. A message popped up onscreen.

Orpheus Thorn: I’d really like to get to know you better. Would you like to meet up for coffee?
    Guess the parents and who do you think "Orpheus Thorn" is?

Meli and pet rat, Draven (named after the lead character in The Crow)
    48052085822_da617416d8.jpg06-10-19_1-31-15 PM by nyterose20032000, on Flickr

Meli and twin sister Amber-Lily
    31051152047_cd96ca6522.jpgMeli and Amber-Lily by nyterose20032000, on Flickr

Hi everyone, we're going to take a break this week and next week and then spotlight @NyteRose's Sequel story in the week after next. :)
    @simscognito @katrinasforest @LillyDoves Thanks a ton for understanding. I feel a bit guilty for swapping stories but I'm burned out on Stars and just not feeling it with Black Swan. Caleb/Jasmina forever lol.

Chapter sixty eight: Alex and Gema
    alex-and-gema-chapter_orig.png

@NyteRose no worries. It happens. After all, simLit writing is supposed to be fun. :)
    @simscognito Thanks! My book's about a group of teens who "live" on other planets using robotic avatars. The protagonist accidentally unleashes a hacker who tries to take over everyone's avatars. Chaos ensues. I put a sample of it on my blog last week.

@NyteRose No reason to feel guilty--you write what you feel like writing. :)

Just updated Clanbuilding for Dummies as well: http://www.fanfiction.katrinasforest.com/2019/06/14/clanbuilding-for-dummies-chapter-15/

No clever chapter names, though. ^_^;;
    Watch me mash together Sims and Pokémon to tell a story about battling glitches in Penny Saves Paldea. Updated every other Thursday.
    @simscognito Thanks! My book's about a group of teens who "live" on other planets using robotic avatars. The protagonist accidentally unleashes a hacker who tries to take over everyone's avatars. Chaos ensues. I put a sample of it on my blog last week.

@NyteRose No reason to feel guilty--you write what you feel like writing. :)

Just updated Clanbuilding for Dummies as well: http://www.fanfiction.katrinasforest.com/2019/06/14/clanbuilding-for-dummies-chapter-15/

No clever chapter names, though. ^_^;;

@katrinasforest that sounds fun. Will defs check out the sample chapter.
    @simscognito Thanks so much! :)

@NyteRose Okay, now that we're officially in your week, I shall officially answer your questions about Black Swan. (Had a busy weekend with Father's Day, so waiting until this week ended up working out better for me.)

What did you think of the prologue and first chapter?
    I thought this was a solid opening. The car crash was dramatic and brought me into the action right away. It also left some mystery as to why Vlad jumped in to save a mortal. I wonder if he suspects she actually is the Black Swan. I think my favorite scene was the gathering of the vampires at the end of chapter one. It sounds like there's a lot of interesting lore built into this story.

What did you like or not like about it?
    I like your setting description. This is something I struggle with. I think you strike a good balance between giving the audience enough details to visualize things without going so heavy on description that you lose readers' interest. I also liked the bit of deja vu feeling I got with Jasmina moving to a new place and trying to start her life over again as the three neighbors visit. I have a feeling this is not going to be an easy time for her.

One small suggestion for the opening--perhaps it might be better to refer to the woman in the front of the car more specifically as "the older woman." That way the audience doesn't confuse her with Jasmina in the back. It's always so tricky in those scenes where you haven't named the characters yet but still need some way to distinguish them.

Oh, and I forgot to add--I love how defensive Vlad gets right off the bat in chapter 1. You know someone who yells that they're not in love and orders everyone out has the worst crush of all. ^_^

I saw in your other thread you're going to be discontinuing this? I'm sorry to hear that. :( I hope you'll come back to it--it seems like you've got a lot of neat ideas. For whatever it's worth, I enjoy Jasmina's world regardless. If you decide to do some one-shots or just update either story whenever the muse strikes, rather than on a strict schedule, go for it. I'll read what you've got when you've got it. :)
    edited June 2019
    @katrinasforest Thanks for pointing out that small error- went back and fixed it :)
    The story is discontinued- for now. I'm not up to working on it and felt shelving it, for now, was better for readers- and me as a writer- than forcing myself to work on it and produce poor-quality content. But I probably will work on it in some form, be it a chapter here and there or a one-shot when the mood strikes or I get ideas.

As for Vlad... he doesn't know 100% but strongly suspects that Jas is the Black Swan. And having him react like that ties in with his backstory both before and after becoming a vampire. But that story is for a later chapter ;)

Edit/Update- Black Swan will receive another update soonish. Seems my Muse has picked this story to pour time and creativity into, so I'll run with that. Will update Black Swan's forum thread to reflect this. Thanks for being so patient with me :)
    edited July 2020
    Black Swan has a new chapter!
    [Stranger in the Dark
    @simscognito Are we spotlighting my story this week or next week? A bit confused on the timing :D
    NyteRose wrote: »
    @simscognito Are we spotlighting my story this week or next week? A bit confused on the timing :D

@NyteRose I thought it was next week, but it's up to you. :smile:
    edited June 2019
    @simscognito We can start this week if everyone's good with that :)
    Or whatever works out better timing-wise.

@NyteRose sure we can start this week. XD

@NyteRose sure we can start this week. XD

not to cause trouble but isn't this week almost over?