Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

How to install CC for TS2 UC and must-have mods?

YuriTheCreatorYuriTheCreator Posts: 60 Member
I would've made this forum a lot sooner if I figured out that you had to post a certain amount of a times to create a discussion....I guess the same rules didn't apply two years ago, though.

From what I've read and experienced, the Sims 2 is fairly corrupt. There's one family with a pregnant lady who can cause complete corruption in a certain town.

I know how to create a mods folder and all that, but does it need subfolders and windrar for zip files? I'm new to this because the only CC I've ever installed for a Sims game was for the TS3, and it was fairly easy with just .package files.

Thanks in advance!
April 8, 2015 is when I came out of that smelly old closet... 🚶‍♂️🚪

Comments

• Options
    Rflong7Rflong7 Posts: 36,588 Member
    Hi :)

No, The Ottomas family doesn't corrupt the neighborhood since it was fixed in the expansion's updated over a decade ago. :)

It doesn't NEED subfolders but you can use subfolders. It works the same, or nearly the same as TS3. If you use the Sims 2 installer then you don't use winrar/zip. If you install the .package files you put them in the Downloads folder or it's subfolders.

• Options
    icmnfrshicmnfrsh Posts: 18,789 Member
    I can confirm that the Ottomas pregnancy glitch was patched not long after Seasons had been released.

And yes, you can create subfolders in the Downloads and SavedSims folder. It helps organize things, like different binned hair colors of the same hairstyle. All CC is in the form of .package files (no rar or zip files). There are also Sims2Pack files, but you just need to open them and they'll automatically extract their contents.

As for mods, there is the equivalent of the MCCC that I'm not allowed to mention because they raise the game's rating. It did let me fix the Ottomas pregnancy before it was patched. I also have a mod that prevents the butler from cooking food, because they do it whenever someone is hungry even if you still have leftovers, and there's no way to stop them or decide what they cook. I also have a small spelling fix for Mansion and Garden. It's not really big: it just changes "cunsumption" to "consumption", which bothered me and Maxis never bothered to fix it.
    Don't manhandle the urchin. He's not for sale. FIND YOUR OWN! - Xenon the Antiquarian, Dragon Age II

Race Against the Clock: Can your elder sim turn back the clock before their time runs out?
  • Options
    CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    edited July 2018
    Sorry,no TS2 is not corrupt. Players do things with boolprop and hybrids or the Tomb Stone of Life and Death that can possibly corrupt the game. The vanilla game was patched years ago, and nothing corrupt about it.

ETA: Sorry,meant to leave a tip. Make sure to read creator's notes of mods and hacks. Some hack or mods will not work inside a subfolder inside the Downloads folder. If you run into that, you may want to place the mod in the Downloads folder without it being in a subfolder.
    Post edited by Cinebar on
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • Options
    Seera1024Seera1024 Posts: 3,629 Member
    Cinebar wrote: »
    Sorry,no TS2 is not corrupt. Players do things with boolprop and hybrids or the Tomb Stone of Life and Death that can possibly corrupt the game. The vanilla game was patched years ago, and nothing corrupt about it.

ETA: Sorry,meant to leave a tip. Make sure to read creator's notes of mods and hacks. Some hack or mods will not work inside a subfolder inside the Downloads folder. If you run into that, you may want to place the mod in the Downloads folder without it being in a subfolder.

Actually, all premade neighborhoods, especially the original 3, shipped corrupted. EA deleted a LOT of Sim data for the deceased relatives. Probably in ways that wouldn't cause problems. HOWEVER, they do have real tombstones and that meant that when University was released, those Sims needed their data back. And EA couldn't completely replace the deleted data. Granted in this case, the corruption remains contained unless you go around resurrecting the premade dead.

Bella Goth may not have been properly removed in Pleasantview. I don't know how to check, but seeing as how they left in means to corrupt your neighborhood, I'm not going to hold my breath on them having removed Bella Goth properly.
  • Options
    edited July 2018
    Seera1024 wrote: »

Actually, all premade neighborhoods, especially the original 3, shipped corrupted. EA deleted a LOT of Sim data for the deceased relatives. Probably in ways that wouldn't cause problems. HOWEVER, they do have real tombstones and that meant that when University was released, those Sims needed their data back. And EA couldn't completely replace the deleted data. Granted in this case, the corruption remains contained unless you go around resurrecting the premade dead.

Bella Goth may not have been properly removed in Pleasantview. I don't know how to check, but seeing as how they left in means to corrupt your neighborhood, I'm not going to hold my breath on them having removed Bella Goth properly.

And exactly how does this affect how players play? Many people have played in the three main hoods for years in a legacy and nothing ever happened. Bella Goth was given a death token and nothing left of her when a death token is given. When people say 'corruption' it gives the idea those hoods are unplayable which isn't true. It's a false narrative, I know many who had legacy for years and as long as they weren't resurrecting Sims with SimPe and moving Sims around from one hood to another they never were corrupted, and no game breaking bugs. But if we say 'corrupted' that makes people think there are huge game breaking bugs. The most likely people would see would be a graphic glitch. (*Maxis never meant for the predead in those hoods to be resurrected, so leaving them alone is perfectly safe).

ETA: Point of what I am saying is, players cause the corruption by the cheats of resurrecting unintended Sims (like Bella who has a death token) and broken data. If things are left well enough alone those hoods can go on forever. ( ;) )

ETA: If anyone sees these problems in the following patch notes, (in their game today) then you need to think about what did you download that broke the base game patch (for all EPs) however, this does not cover the individual patches for each EP or SP that were released separately. Which also should be installed and Fun With Pets and other comp packs in UC may contain things that broke these separate patches.

http://simswiki.info/wiki.php?title=Game_Help:TS2_Base_Game_CD_Patch_Note

Post edited by Cinebar on
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • Options
    Seera1024 wrote: »

And exactly how does this affect how players play? Many people have played in the three main hoods for years in a legacy and nothing ever happened. Bella Goth was given a death token and nothing left of her when a death token is given. When people say 'corruption' it gives the idea those hoods are unplayable which isn't true. It's a false narrative, I know many who had legacy for years and as long as they weren't resurrecting Sims with SimPe and moving Sims around from one hood to another they never were corrupted, and no game breaking bugs. But if we say 'corrupted' that makes people think there are huge game breaking bugs. The most likely people would see would be a graphic glitch. (*Maxis never meant for the predead in those hoods to be resurrected, so leaving them alone is perfectly safe).

ETA: Point of what I am saying is, players cause the corruption by the cheats of resurrecting unintended Sims (like Bella who has a death token) and broken data. If things are left well enough alone those hoods can go on forever. ( ;) )

ETA: If anyone sees these problems in the following patch notes, (in their game today) then you need to think about what did you download that broke the base game patch (for all EPs) however, this does not cover the individual patches for each EP or SP that were released separately. Which also should be installed and Fun With Pets and other comp packs in UC may contain things that broke these separate patches.

http://simswiki.info/wiki.php?title=Game_Help:TS2_Base_Game_CD_Patch_Note

Just because the corruption isn't spreading in Pleasantview and other such neighborhoods, doesn't mean that the neighborhood isn't corrupted. Every site refers to it as and it way too late in the lifespan of Sims 2 to get nouns to change. So even if there is a better word or a better way to phrase it, there's not much chance of it not causing confusion when people read stuff from 6+ years ago that will never be edited to conform to the new word/phrasing. So it's best to use the nouns that have been established in order to not confuse people who decide to read up on it. Because that's the first thing you should do when someone tells you a file/save/whatever is corrupted. Research it. Can it be fixed? Can it be salvaged and recreated? What should I expect if I continue to use the file?

And I've never said or claimed that a corrupted neighborhood is immediately unplayble the moment you realize that it's corrupted.

It's like a time bomb with an unknown amount of time left. You might have 2 weeks (you probably did a whole bunch of bad things in this case) or you could have 10+ years like you've had in your corrupted neighborhood. You get some varied random warning bells (toddlers and children with wants to woohoo or have lifetime wants, people acting like an object is a ghost, weird routing, etc) that get worse as the corruption spreads (Sims losing all personality points, memories, skill points, and relationships being one of the worse signs OR you get invisible immortal Sims that you can't control - both have happened to me).

And corruption and glitches is why I never recommend players play with mods from the get go. You can't recognize glitches caused by mods if you don't know what vanilla behavior is. This goes for any and all games. The only exception is if a mod is required to get the game to work. And then only the bare minimum should be installed.
  • Options
    I agree people should learn the mechanics of the game (like what does the family tree do) or why is Mrs. Crumplebottom an object, etc. before they start installing mods they don't understand or really realize exactly what it's changing.
  • Options
    I agree people should learn the mechanics of the game (like what does the family tree do) or why is Mrs. Crumplebottom an object, etc. before they start installing mods they don't understand or really realize exactly what it's changing.

Or even if they don't fully understand, they'll at least have a baseline of how the game acts without mods.
  • Options
    TerraTerra Posts: 1,353 Member
    I have a question related to the OP. I have the Ultimate Collection for Mac and I can't find the folder on my computer that the Mac installation guides are telling me should be there (Documents>EA Games>The Sims 2>Downloads), so I have no idea how to install mods. Does anyone know how to do this with the UC on a Mac?
  • Options
    JULES1111JULES1111 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Terra wrote: »
    I have a question related to the OP. I have the Ultimate Collection for Mac and I can't find the folder on my computer that the Mac installation guides are telling me should be there (Documents>EA Games>The Sims 2>Downloads), so I have no idea how to install mods. Does anyone know how to do this with the UC on a Mac?

Most likely the same way as on pc. There isn't one in the pc version either. Either make it yourself (which is fine) just make sure it has a capital D for Downloads, or one is made for you when you open body shop. ( only way to generate one)
  • Options
    JULES1111 wrote: »

Most likely the same way as on pc. There isn't one in the pc version either. Either make it yourself (which is fine) just make sure it has a capital D for Downloads, or one is made for you when you open body shop. ( only way to generate one)

I can't find any Sims 2 folder at all though - there's not even an 'EA Games' folder in my documents, just an 'Electronic Arts' folder which has TS4 files in it. I can't find anywhere on my computer where my Sims 2 files are stored... :confused:
  • Options

I can't find any Sims 2 folder at all though - there's not even an 'EA Games' folder in my documents, just an 'Electronic Arts' folder which has TS4 files in it. I can't find anywhere on my computer where my Sims 2 files are stored... :confused:

Wow that is weird. You should have a folder in your documents for the game. I looked online to see if Mac was different, some say no, that might be for disks though, then I found someone say this is the file path for the super collection

your user folder/library/Containers/com.aspyr.sims2.appstore/Data/Library/Application Support/Aspyr/The Sims 2/

It looks like Greek to me :D I never used a Mac though. You might find the right files there.
  • Options

Wow that is weird. You should have a folder in your documents for the game. I looked online to see if Mac was different, some say no, that might be for disks though, then I found someone say this is the file path for the super collection

your user folder/library/Containers/com.aspyr.sims2.appstore/Data/Library/Application Support/Aspyr/The Sims 2/

It looks like Greek to me :D I never used a Mac though. You might find the right files there.

Lo and behold, there it is! Thank you! There's no Downloads folder in there but I guess that's where I just make one.
  • Options

Lo and behold, there it is! Thank you! There's no Downloads folder in there but I guess that's where I just make one.

Yes, just make a folder in the Sims 2 folder there. Make sure it has a capital D. I read someone say they made a shortcut to their downloads folder, and put it on their desktop. That way they didn't have to go through that whole list just to get there. That might be something you may want to try also, if downloading a bit of CC or mods.