Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Do ugly townies bother you? Do you find townies ugly?

Comments

• Options
    Jprp83Jprp83 Posts: 400 Member
    I have absolutely no problem with their physical appearance. I like that there are different body shapes etc What I really detest is their random fashion choices.
  • Options
    agustdagustd Posts: 946 Member
    edited July 2018
    All/most townies are ugly. It really bothers me.
    I picked the first option because no other fit my perspective better, but my issue with townies isn't actually about "ugliness".

It's more about how the game has like one, two basic templates for creating unhoused townies and to me, being overexposed to the same face model all the time makes it seem ugly, even though I know that objectively those sims are pretty attractive.

TS4's basic template is definitely better than TS3's pudding faces, but it's still the same face slapped on every sim. Same features, same eye shape, combine that with the overly happy grin every sim around the town sports and it just gets tiring fast. The name pool in the game seems to be pretty small as well so most of the time identical looking townies end up with repeating surnames.

That basic face isn't bad, but when you compare it to what an average person can create in CAS it's just awful and bland like oatmeal. I rarely find randomly generated sims that catch my eye, have any distinctive features about them. Especially female sims tend to have the same face shape, with thin, narrow mouth.

Whenever I start a new game I make sure to download tons of user made sims off the gallery first so my town isn't overrun by sims who look like they're all cousins. It just gets kind of weird after a while. I have a screenshot from a pub (will update the post if I manage to find it) where there were 4 male sims sitting at the bar, and they looked like quadruplets. Different clothes, hair and names but identical faces with vaguely asian features and the exact same chin/nose shape..
  • Options
    catitude5catitude5 Posts: 2,537 Member
    I remake townies and delete the ones that keep spawning. They don't need to be super beautiful but they need to fit into the rest of the characters.
  • Options
    MondayMonday Posts: 385 Member
    Most townies are attractive. I wish they had more imperfections.
    Let's start with the fact that when we're talking about attractiveness or ugliness here, I'm talking specifically about facial features.

Body type can be altered and you can change hair and clothing through fitness and styling respectively. So for me, I'm talking faces.

They're all very same-face. So very same-face. Those few presets the game uses aren't modified in any way by the game, so they all just look basically the same. And yes, for me that look is what is termed as generally attractive. By current standards, etc etc.

I do use the townies in my game, but I'll often pick them (after narrowing it down by sims with most relevant traits) based on which of the sims have the most interesting facial features in my opinion. which is difficult when they do all look the same to me.

I also don't think that today's idea of what is attractive is at all attractive. I think it's boring as all get out. I like interesting faces, different noses, amazing bone structure, etc etc. I get exhausted by the bland faces of the townies. Exhausted by it.

And attractiveness IS personally subjective, but there IS also a generally accepted idea of what 'attractive' is at any given time or place. It chances as time changes, and as way of life changes, historically. Socially speaking, while rippling abs and tanned skin are considered attractive (because it shows time and care for the body in a time when most don't 'need' to work out to live), so also were soft bodies and pale skin once considered beautiful because it was an indicator of wealth and health because it meant you weren't toiling away in the fields as a peasant and you had enough money to eat well.

All that doesn't mean it's what individuals find attractive, naturally. It just means it's what society as a whole liked and pushed for. So, thus why I think the townies mostly fall under what is considered conventionally attractive, thus my poll choice, though personally I just find them all so boring and dull.

Anyway, ramble ramble grumble *shakes fist at the world in general* thanks for the poll, sorry for saying the same thing in eight different ways! :)
    a63ftuN.png
  • Options
    Huiiie_07Huiiie_07 Posts: 1,200 Member
    Most townies are not ugly.
    I usually don't find them ugly in terms of facial appearance. It's their clothing choices which drive me nuts sometimes. They always seem to wear the same City Living outfits, no matter their body shape or weight.

Their body shape is another point which drives me insame sometimes. While all the males seem to have the "pear-shaped" body with really narrow shoulders, the females often have really small hips but bellies like they were pregnant. I'm not "body-shaming" or anything, but the body shapes of some townies just look really unnatural and I've never seen people in real life having bodies like these.

Fortunately, I don't really care about townies and interact more with my own sims and premades, only with townies when I find some that don't have ridiculous outfits or body shapes, so I usually just keep them as they are.
    Origin ID: Huiiie_07

I like to build stuff
  • Options
    BusufuBusufu Posts: 1,966 Member
    Some townies are ugly. It bothers me a bit.
    If there is a twonie that is really ugly, I go into CAS and give him a small maekeover. But usually they don't bother me.
    Sul Sul!
    On my blog (German) you'll find two completed vampire stories 🦇 and an ongoing ghost story 👻.
    I'm also posting about my I'm surrounded by idi🤪ts! - challenge, in which I've now reached gen 9.
    Thanks for stopping by! 👋
  • Options
    Laura_JonesLaura_Jones Posts: 485 Member
    I was thinking, and I'm pretty sure the thing that bothers me the MOST isn't appearance... it's the fact that every freaking person has the same last name, and it's always Japanese.
  • Options
    Huiiie_07Huiiie_07 Posts: 1,200 Member
    I was thinking, and I'm pretty sure the thing that bothers me the MOST isn't appearance... it's the fact that every freaking person has the same last name, and it's always Japanese.

There are many mods out there that add more English names to the townie name pool, also for game versions in other languages.
    Origin ID: Huiiie_07

I like to build stuff
  • Options
    Sk8rblazeSk8rblaze Posts: 7,570 Member
    I just dislike the lack of variety in my townies. Pretty much every townie of mine not only has an Asian-sounding last name, but looks Asian too.

It's been a problem since near launch, and has gone unfixed since.
  • Options
    Laura_JonesLaura_Jones Posts: 485 Member
    > @Huiiie_07 said:

> There are many mods out there that add more English names to the townie name pool, also for game versions in other languages.

I'm just not really a mods player. I've been playing for years and only just realized you could add careers the other day. I've started just random naming townies that are obviously not Asian. :/ I really noticed this happening since I installed the apartments expansion.
  • Options
    FireFancyFireFancy Posts: 11 New Member
    All I want is a simple way to blacklist a few cas items from townie generation, and a way to prevent 10 townies in a row from wearing the same top! Every elder in my game seems to have decided that the one top from City Living is super trendy, and every one is wearing it.

I'm not that fussed with the overall looks like weight and face shape, my game seems to be lucky with generating really neat ones, and I'll admit that I barely ever notice the names in the game. I even forget my own sims names from time to time, ha ha. It's just the silly outfits that bother me.

Another thing that bothers me is that everyone's nightclub/party wear are those extravagant, way out-there victorian outfits from the Vampire Gamepack. That would be fine, unless i'm trying to play a small town slow life in Brindleton Bay or a high-end trendy adventure in City Living.
  • Options
    citysimmercitysimmer Posts: 5,950 Member
    Some townies are ugly. It doesn’t bother me.
    FireFancy wrote: »
    All I want is a simple way to blacklist a few cas items from townie generation, and a way to prevent 10 townies in a row from wearing the same top! Every elder in my game seems to have decided that the one top from City Living is super trendy, and every one is wearing it.

I'm not that fussed with the overall looks like weight and face shape, my game seems to be lucky with generating really neat ones, and I'll admit that I barely ever notice the names in the game. I even forget my own sims names from time to time, ha ha. It's just the silly outfits that bother me.

Another thing that bothers me is that everyone's nightclub/party wear are those extravagant, way out-there victorian outfits from the Vampire Gamepack. That would be fine, unless i'm trying to play a small town slow life in Brindleton Bay or a high-end trendy adventure in City Living.

MC Command Center allows you to blacklist items with MC Dresser
    Proud black simmer 🖤
    MfVGMbL.jpg

• Options
    3KNPen3KNPen Posts: 2,825 Member
    edited July 2018
    @LadyKyn your lady gardener is lovely. Have you or would you be willing to put her up on the gallery?

I'm honestly not bothered that much by the townies. I usually don't pay them much mind unless I'm bored and Sim-Watching or spouse hunting. Even ones who are "ugly" or dressed crazy don't phase me much. If I do find a particularly interesting one (and in my case interesting doesn't necessarily mean good looking) I'll save them to my library and play them later. Some of my favorite sims started out life as townies in other saves.

In some saves I'll make over my sim's friends but I'm super lazy and most of the time I just don't want to spend hours in CAS editing random townies that my sims make never have a reason to interact with.

The names bother me more but not enough to actually bother going into CAS . I've added a mod that will hopefully help with that, thus far I do seem to have more variety of names for them.
    ~ ~ ~
  • Options
    BlueSeaWavesBlueSeaWaves Posts: 4,429 Member
    edited July 2018
    My townies currently consist of elderly and adults and don’t look so bad. I just avoid the ones that do look ugly(to me). Some townies do look attractive and I want to find a way to include them into my story. The only really ugly sim I’ve seen so far is sadly my sims son(he has a different father from the rest) I like to think it’s a face only a mother could love. Maybe I’m just getting lucky with my townies, one of my elders in my town had on the one piece outfit where it’s a hoodie and the hood is over the head with a cap on, that was horrible!
  • Options
    thatsnotswegthatsnotsweg Posts: 697 Member
    edited July 2018
    I like to give my townies makeovers sometimes because a lot of them are ugly, but if I'm not feeling up to changing their look, I'm not bothered by their presence.
    gallery ID: thatsnotsweg

vYCrjvm.png
  • Options
    SjofnSjofn Posts: 332 Member
    What bugs me are the outfits, not the townies themselves. Sims absolutely cannot dress themselves.
  • Options
    shellbemeshellbeme Posts: 2,086 Member
    It’s the outfits and the rediculous names that bother me, not the physical features for the most part. I do have to say though that I have never seen so many pear shaped men and women with boobs down to their knees in my life.
  • Options
    ParmaViolet87ParmaViolet87 Posts: 1,800 Member
    The random outfit thing bothers me the most, tbh--some of the dudes in my 'hood have been wearing dresses lately, so that's weird..

SAME! Oh my God. I've seen them everywhere! Ever since I installed seasons.
    giphy.gif
  • Options
    tanakakitanakaki Posts: 240 Member
    Sometimes a bunch of townies will have same face syndrome and I'll get a bunch of sims with tiny eyes and stretched lips. I prefer my own sims roaming town anyway, so unless a townie has some interesting features, they end up getting hit with the purge hammer.
  • Options
    AlwaysAskingAlwaysAsking Posts: 1,403 Member
    I don't mind some of them. What I hate the most is the mohawk hairstyle on so many of them! Seriously, there were never that many people with mohawks even when they were popular! I actually pull up my "other families" section and just delete the yucky looking ones. I manage to keep a decent looking batch that way.

If I really like one, or one of my sims really likes one, but I don't like their hair or clothes, then I will change them.

I did notice that they are a lot better looking, and dressed much better, now that I bought City Living (when it went on sale)
    SqxdF0m.png

Gallery ID is ARIANNANEAL
  • Options
    LadyKynLadyKyn Posts: 3,595 Member
    @3KNPen Look up my name I uploaded her. Same name as it is here. Gonna have to tick the custom content box to find her in my gallery. :3

Had to chuck some of base game clothes on her. <3
    5vJrxmT.png
  • Options
    FinvolaFinvola Posts: 1,041 Member
    All/most townie are ugly. It bothers me a bit.
    While the odd townie catches my eye, I find most of them to be ugly or spawned with the same strange facial combinations or body types. That and the hideous clothes they wear. I don't give them makeovers, I just delete the ones that I don't want to look at. I do have a few saved to my library, but the keepers are far and few between for me.
  • Options
    3KNPen3KNPen Posts: 2,825 Member
    @LadyKyn thank you!
    ~ ~ ~
  • Options
    LaBlue0314LaBlue0314 Posts: 17,436 Member
    When I voted, Some townies are ugly. It doesn’t bother me. It is not so much their physical appearance that bothers me, but how badly dress they are. That drives me really crazy though, but I've put a stop to that by adding a mod that forced my game to use the homeless sims I already have in my game, and it works like a charm. If my game starts to create some badly dressed sims, I know I need to create a few more sims of that age group, and that puts a stop to it.
  • Options
    takenbysheeptakenbysheep Posts: 343 Member
    I play legacy families, so after a while some genetics really mix badly and turn out to make some very tragically monstrous looking sims. The pear shaped body seems to get worse and worse as the generations go on (maybe it's just me, but boys shoulders in my game seem to be getting more and more narrow). Townies also seem to lack any chin at all and over pluck their brows (the skinny eyebrow thing is something I can't handle). It doesn't bother too much and I can avoid it as long as the sims are dressed normally, and often times my game generates some pretty attractive/average looking sims. So overall I'm not super worried about it, it's just those few trends that I see ALL OVER my game that really get to me.