The latest update for The Sims 4 is now live. Click here to read the latest notes.
Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

CC Hair: Alpha or Maxis Match?

Huiiie_07Huiiie_07 Posts: 1,200 Member
edited July 2018 in General Mods Discussion
I was wondering this for quiet some time now which one is more popular in the community. If you download cc hair, do you prefer Alpha or Maxis Match?

As for me, I prefer Maxis Match by a mile. It looks better with the art style of the game. Alpha hair looks out of place for me. In fact, the only alpha hairstyle I have in my game was needed because I wanted the clayified version of it, which requires downloading the original one.

Which do you prefer?
Origin ID: Huiiie_07

I like to build stuff

CC Hair: Alpha or Maxis Match? 105 votes

Alpha (realistic looking hair)
12%
CK213sekojranasalemdexingBieberFever975_Sam_vanilleonsimss2ladolcevitaLinamintsMMXThatAwkwardSimmeripippinPninaSimmerpetalstar125 13 votes
Maxis Match (same texture like maxis hair)
87%
GoldmoldaricmnfrshDoubleSJosseIceyJHowGreatThouArtVibseSimpatsyannvik92MeteoraStormelanorbretonkemiszPapayaPancakealejandro15039Nivyxhannaaj22loubylouloulxsrenickVuloriladybreidmarberg 92 votes

Comments

• Evie0602Evie0602 Posts: 634 Member
    All of my hair is maxis match. Alpha hair looks weird to me.
  • kemiszkemisz Posts: 602 Member
    I used to use alpha but now I can't use anything but maxis match.
    My EA ID is TranquilloSims - where I upload starter homes, family homes and some more ambitious creations.

• citysimmercitysimmer Posts: 5,950 Member
    Alpha hair seems out of place. I have clayified hairs, but no alpha.
    Proud black simmer 🖤
    MfVGMbL.jpg

• thatsnotswegthatsnotsweg Posts: 697 Member
    edited July 2018
    I'm not playing with any CC right now, but when I do I only use Maxis Match hair. Alpha looks out of place in the game and it's jarring to me. I don't really like clayified hair in my game either, but it's not as much of an eyesore as alpha is.
    gallery ID: thatsnotsweg

vYCrjvm.png
  • CK213CK213 Posts: 20,528 Member
    edited July 2018
    Most of my CC is aimed at adjusting the art style of the game more towards something that looks like The sims 2 with more realistic and detailed textures as well as object meshes. So I am not holding to matching the original art style.
    I have quite a bit of TS2 textures converted for The Sims 4. It doesn't bother me to have clays and alphas in the same world.
    Post edited by CK213 on
    The%20Goths.png?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds
  • FireFancyFireFancy Posts: 11 New Member
    I'm actually really impressed how ultra realistic people can make their games with Alpha CC! It's really cool, and modders accomplish a lot.

But for me, I'm just too lazy with keeping track on all of the CC I would have to download and check on regularly to keep up to date, to make the game more realistic or change the art style.

The most I've done is download more ponytail CC. Unfortunately, I can never find any Maxis Match male hairstyles that I like :(
  • PninaSimmerPninaSimmer Posts: 371 Member
    Alpha. I don't like the look of MM.
  • BradyGalaxyBradyGalaxy Posts: 306 Member
    Alpha Hair just seems out of place to me. You have realistic hair with a non realistic body.
    Proud simmer
  • LadyKynLadyKyn Posts: 3,595 Member
    edited July 2018
    Alpha just doesn't go in this game well without changing a lot of other things around it. There's been a few select alpha hairs I like, which seem pretty soft and not too out of place with the game, but I find Maxis match to be far better. Not to mention a majority of alpha hair is always so high poly I find it not to be worth it in downloading them anymore. Wish some creators would learn how to get that poly count down because 20k poly for one hairstyle is ridiculous. Highest I've seen one is 60k. No thannnnksss.

Anything else alpha that isn't hair just seems so fake with little to no texture on most of them. Didn't think photoskinning was still a thing. It's still terrible and probably the laziest way in making skins and so called 'realistic skins'.

Know it's just a matter of what you like more, but that 'hyper realistic' skins just creeps me out.
    5vJrxmT.png
  • Huiiie_07Huiiie_07 Posts: 1,200 Member
    edited July 2018
    I actually already expected Maxis Match to have a lead, but not such a big one! I'm actually surprised that this vote is so unanimous considering that no matter where I'm looking for cc, I always see so much alpha hair that I have to search for maxis match specifically, so I thought it's much more popular than the vote would suggest. But we'll see.

@LadyKyn I can't agree more! Every time I see sims with hyper-realistic looking cc, especially skin tones, I get totally creeped out. It's uncanny valley for me like nothing else. I don't know why, but something about it just seems "off".
    Origin ID: Huiiie_07

I like to build stuff
  • LadyKynLadyKyn Posts: 3,595 Member
    edited July 2018
    Yeah uncanny valley and anything close to it is just weird. Usually most skins look too dry or oily, but I just don't like CC like this in particular.
    PekoPWx.png

0maL0WQ.png

Photoskinning just shouldn't be a thing. Thought that method would of died out. It feels like the head is photoshopped on except it's a photoskinned CC. Anytime I see this it always celebrity related.

Edit: Chucked the pictures under a spoiler in case someone doesn't like looking at them. :#
    5vJrxmT.png
  • CupidCupid Posts: 3,623 Member
    Mostly MM. I say mostly, because I do have three female sims to whom I gave alpha hairs. They've had them for so long now that they blend in well to me. All the other sims use MM, though. (no, I don't feel bad about mixing the two, the hairs are so pretty :p )

I think clayified is like the worst though, it's like some strange medium inbetween that just doesn't work for me
    HdLHa3j.png
    (◡‿◡✿)
  • PapayaPancakePapayaPancake Posts: 867 Member
    I remember when the game first came out a lot of people didn't like the art style or the "clay hair". But I absolutely adore Sims 4 art style and cartoony graphics. Maxi Match for me!
  • ladybreidladybreid Posts: 3,455 Member
    Personally I can't stand how poorly alpha clashes with the style of TS4 so I avoid it like the plague.
    wz3Vdbh.jpg
    Saying "not to be rude", then blatently being rude does not excuse rude behavior.
  • GamingTweetyGamingTweety Posts: 851 Member
    I was using alpha hairs before but now I hate the look of it in the game. Maxis match the best :heart:
    Gallery id: GamingTweety

Looking for some custom animations? Check out my youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKrWaxowK2vCzwkz6bEZRbg

Deviantart profile: https://gamingtweety.deviantart.com/
  • NewModderNewModder Posts: 4 New Member
    All of my custom hair is for toddlers & I just really love the TS4 art style so always go for MM to make the rest of the fam & game.
  • NindigoNindigo Posts: 2,764 Member
    I don't like the look of alpha hair and it doesn't mix well with the awesome TS4 graphical style...in my humble opinion. MM on the other hand I feel is a credit to the game and fits in seamlessly.

Origin ID: Nindigo79

A smile is the prettiest thing you can wear
    Time enjoyed is never time wasted

• agustdagustd Posts: 946 Member
    I used to only download alpha hair but I've had a change of heart recently and one day it just started looking ugly to me. Got rid of every hairstyle and downloaded MM cc. I think most of it looks better than the in-game stuff.
  • Ona_SimmerOna_Simmer Posts: 60 Member
    I've just switched to clay. (I need to update my profile picture)
    Origin Name : Ona_Simmer

HC9IknO.png

• ItsJanierItsJanier Posts: 884 Member
    Neither. CC free.
  • mistwolf7mistwolf7 Posts: 78 Member
    I used to use Alpha but it can look so out of place compared to other sims and I felt like it always looked weird if I had different hairstyles for a sim and one was Alpha and the other was in-game or MM. Now I only get MM CC so it always blends in with everything else I have.
  • ReksohReksoh Posts: 303 Member
    ItsJanier wrote: »
    Neither. CC free.

why go into a topic asking about CC just to tell everyone that you don't use any? :D

anyway, I prefer MM !
  • Bananas_45Bananas_45 Posts: 6,775 Member
    FireFancy wrote: »
    I'm actually really impressed how ultra realistic people can make their games with Alpha CC! It's really cool, and modders accomplish a lot.

But for me, I'm just too lazy with keeping track on all of the CC I would have to download and check on regularly to keep up to date, to make the game more realistic or change the art style.

The most I've done is download more ponytail CC. Unfortunately, I can never find any Maxis Match male hairstyles that I like :(

Have you tried XLD, Luumia Lovers, Rope, Birkches, or Peace?
  • LinamintsLinamints Posts: 952 Member
    edited July 2018
    I prefer Alpha. I have gone to great length to overhaul the boring simple textures in my game and I've never liked how the clay hairs looked. It reminds me too much of things like Asda story instead of a game made in recent times. I remember when I first got Sims 4 I thought the hairs were the least attractive part of the game and thought they stood out with how different to the rest of the game they looked. I will say however, the EA hairs have gotten a lot more detailed in recent packs.
    "Parenting is just like gardening, except if you let your garden die you don't go to prison." - Anna Blast
  • ipippinipippin Posts: 37 Member
    I don't really mind. I like having separate games for Alpha and others Maxis. I think I prefer Alpha because it's more realistic and therefore suits my script mods and traits alike.