Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Is the freezing water supposed to look like this?

I'm playing in the late fall for the first time and the rivers in Willow Creek are starting to freeze - is it really supposed to look like this? I'm playing with highest possible graphic settings and everything else in my game looks beautiful, except this... Can I do anything to change it?

JAUQUgx.jpg
lK77qhG.jpg
B0jZ8yH.jpg

Comments

• luthienrisingluthienrising Posts: 37,627 Member
    That kind of partly frozen edging where water is shallower is how water really does freeze. Or were you thinking of something else in those images?
    EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.
  • birdonawirebirdonawire Posts: 400 Member
    @luthienrising I just think the texture on the ice looks a little primitive and pixelated - a bit like something from Minecraft!

I just expected it to look a bit more like this (borrowed the picture from someone else) - a bit more sharp around the edges:
    8iUTIib.jpg

Instead of this:
    0wHUlIk.jpg

But maybe it's just because the water isn't completely frozen yet...?
  • happyopihappyopi Posts: 1,355 Member
    edited July 2018
    They probably meant the extreme pixelation and blurriness.

So I was too late to reply but seeing what it's supposed to look like, I suspect some graphic card tomfoolery.
    It's just so weird, because everything else in my game looks exactly like it should - but that frozen water is just... disappointing. :s
  • SimmervilleSimmerville Posts: 11,654 Member
    You could try with lower settings, just to see if it might look better. I'm on a low end pc with far from ultra, but I think it looks better. That said, I normally see the freezing river from a distance, so I may have missed any fishy stuff.
    Simmerville on Youtube | My blog is updated weekly: Simmerville's Sims<br>a.jpg
  • BusufuBusufu Posts: 1,966 Member
    I had the same issues. My pc could not afford seasons any more, even with low settings.
    Sul Sul!
    On my blog (German) you'll find two completed vampire stories 🦇 and an ongoing ghost story 👻.
    I'm also posting about my I'm surrounded by idi🤪ts! - challenge, in which I've now reached gen 9.
    Thanks for stopping by! 👋
  • DannydanboDannydanbo Posts: 18,057 Member
    Has anyone noticed whether or not the riverboat runs in winter when the water is freezing? Just curious.
    I bought the computer less than 3 years ago specifically to play The Sims 4 and my graphic card (GeForce GTX 950M) should be more than able to handle a game like this. I play Skyrim with highest settings with no issues whatsoever, so one would think it would be able to make a river with freezing water in Sims 4 look good!

Well, anyway, thank you for your replies. I think I'm gonna tweak around with the graphic card settings a bit and see if I can fix it. If not, I will just have to live with funky looking water till I can afford an even better computer. Luckily the rest of the game still looks beautiful and I'm really enjoying Seasons. :)
  • JayTheGingerHamsterJayTheGingerHamster Posts: 33 Member
    Maybe it will change in an update as Seasons is a relatively new pack
  • sillyangel0906sillyangel0906 Posts: 5,405 Member

I have the 950 as well and my water doesn't look like that so it's quite odd that yours does. Hopefully you can get the problem sorted out. Have you tried to repair the game?

50d5gc2.png

Origin ID - Sillyangel0906

Q7wLwse.png
  • hannaaj22hannaaj22 Posts: 685 Member
    I bought the computer less than 3 years ago specifically to play The Sims 4 and my graphic card (GeForce GTX 950M) should be more than able to handle a game like this. I play Skyrim with highest settings with no issues whatsoever, so one would think it would be able to make a river with freezing water in Sims 4 look good!

Well, anyway, thank you for your replies. I think I'm gonna tweak around with the graphic card settings a bit and see if I can fix it. If not, I will just have to live with funky looking water till I can afford an even better computer. Luckily the rest of the game still looks beautiful and I'm really enjoying Seasons. :)

This is the same graphics card I have on my laptop and I don't seem to have any issues with the ice looking so odd.

Have you checked to see if your graphics card needs updating?
    Leon Family Tree
    Origin ID: hannaaj22
    I'm glad to hear you guys have the GeForce 950 as well - that gives me hope! It is up-to-date and I have recently repaired my game, so I can't figure out what the problem is. :/
    Now it's winter, and it still looks terrible...

6Fw9h0p.jpg
  • sillyangel0906sillyangel0906 Posts: 5,405 Member
    Hmmm. Do you have any lighting mods or default terrain replacements that might be causing the issue?

@rosemow do you have any insight?
    Origin ID - Sillyangel0906

Q7wLwse.png
    Thanks to all of you for your replies!

As @rosemow suggested I tried removing my Mods folder (I had a ton of CC) and I started a brand new save - and now the ice looks exactly like it should! I'm sooo happy!

qXkWPnc.jpg
    dGrMLv7.jpg

After I've been playing the same old save for more than two years I needed a new start anyway, and this is a good a time as any. I'm gonna try playing a comletely vanilla game again now and I'm actually looking forward to it a lot! :)