Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

When Sims die & other noob questions

Rhiannon58Rhiannon58 Posts: 806 Member
When Sims die in TS3, what happens to their inventory in their backpack?
I saw some beautiful greenhouse pictures recently. Is this something we can build without mods?
How many “levels” are there to the driving skill my dad is teaching the daughter? She’s at 2 and I have no idea how much further she has to go.
Post edited by Rhiannon58 on

Comments

• KarritzKarritz Posts: 21,920 Member
    Iut goes to another sim jjn their household
  • igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    edited July 2018
    I've always heard the expression "you can't take it with you." Guess this is what it means. :/

Edit: The number of questions on the OP seems to have increased since I responded.

--When we talk about functional greenhouses, we usually mean by using the greenhouse TS3 Store set to build one.
    https://store.thesims3.com/setsProductDetails.html?productId=OFB-SIM3:58192&section=UpSell

-- Level 3 is the highest on the Driving skill, once reached the lessons are over and the sim has learned how to drive. The certificate should arrive in the mail the next sim day.
    Post edited by igazor on
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net
  • Rhiannon58Rhiannon58 Posts: 806 Member
    Thanks for updating your response. I just edited my post so I didn’t create a bunch of single questions that come to mind while I’m playing today. So is that amazing greenhouse placable on an existing lot or is it a separate lot to play?
  • MKSizzleMKSizzle Posts: 557 Member
    So I didn't know about the driving thing either. have never been able to fully teach any of my teens to drive. I sent one parent out once with my first teen I had in the game and I didn't see a meter above their head, and it just seemed to go on all night so I just had them come home. I am not sure if it was just glitching out or if I just should have just tried again. I am curious now so maybe I will try it again.
    The Palmer Legacy -- Generation 1

It all started with Zack & Blair....

Rhiannon58 wrote: »
    Thanks for updating your response. I just edited my post so I didn’t create a bunch of single questions that come to mind while I’m playing today. So is that amazing greenhouse placable on an existing lot or is it a separate lot to play?
    I can't actually remember if a pre-made building comes with the set, sorry not in-game at the moment. But it's not that difficult to build one once we get used to its special walls and ceiling parts. There may be pre-built lots out there, but then that would be a community use greenhouse as opposed to one we build on an existing residential lot.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    edited July 2018
    MKSizzle wrote: »
    So I didn't know about the driving thing either. have never been able to fully teach any of my teens to drive. I sent one parent out once with my first teen I had in the game and I didn't see a meter above their head, and it just seemed to go on all night so I just had them come home. I am not sure if it was just glitching out or if I just should have just tried again. I am curious now so maybe I will try it again.
    I've had this process fail for various reasons. In one world, the parent and teen kept walking out of the house in opposite directions instead of either or both of them even getting into the available car. World routing issues, I guess. After a number of failures like that eating up too much game clock time, I will tend to grant the teen a skill level or two (if not all three) by way of MasterController.

The teen can also take a driving class at I think it's City Hall but that only grants them one skill level (in my experience).
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    edited July 2018
    Thanks for the excellent information about the gardening pack. It prompted me to finally register my entire set I got the other day and that netted me around 2k store points. I used them to purchae the greenhouse set. Eventually, my family will have a huge garden including grapes for wine making. My teen has half a point to finally be drivable. Dad is at the very end of his life so I’m hoping he’ll be able to finish what he started!
  • SimplyJenSimplyJen Posts: 14,828 Member
    edited July 2018
    The Stones Throw Greenhouse premade lot shown in the picture is included (scroll down to see items included) and the lot thumbnail is there. @Rhiannon58 Sims 3 build tools are a little different from The Sims 4. We can't place lots onto other existing lots to merge the two if that's what you're asking. The Stones Throw Greenhouse premade lot is actually a 40x30 community lot but you can place it down onto an empty 40x30 lot or bigger... and of course, build one yourself on a much smaller scale for your sims like igazor pointed out.

To use create a greenhouse using the Store set, it's easier than you think. The glass roof pieces are not actually real roofs so instead, find them in Decorations - Roof Decorations. You can count the number of tile space to build your walls. Diagonal walls as well for some of the pieces. Once you have the walls built, place tile across top to create a ceiling. This is important for those with Seasons installed. Then, place those glass roof pieces on top. The tile should be invisible now but blocks any weather from coming in.

This review is one of many out there but it will give insight on the objects included such as the SwiftGro Gardening Station & PvZ Sunflower.

*The set also includes a planter bowl. It can be placed indoors or outdoors. Keeping indoors will keep it safe from weather w/ Seasons installed. The Supernatural expansion pack also adds a planter bowl.

Since you already purchased it, I won't bother explaining how to make a greenhouse the old school way. It's basically using moveobjects on cheat to place plants indoors without those really nice greenhouse glass pieces from the set.
    Post edited by SimplyJen on
    i7-13700K • 16GB • RTX 4070
    S3 simblr: http://simplysimming.tumblr.com/
    S4 simblr: http://simlogic.tumblr.com/
    SimplyJen wrote: »
    The Stones Throw Greenhouse premade lot shown in the picture is included (scroll down to see items included) and the lot thumbnail is there. @Rhiannon58 Sims 3 build tools are a little different from The Sims 4.

To use create a greenhouse using the Store set, it's easier than you think. The glass roof pieces are not actually real roofs so instead, find them in Decorations - Roof Decorations. You can count the number of tile space to build your walls. Diagonal walls as well for some of the pieces. Once you have the walls built, place tile across top to create a ceiling. This is important for those with Seasons installed. Then, place those glass roof pieces on top. The tile should be invisible now but blocks any weather from coming in.

Actually it seems like building is a lot more like TS2 then TS4 which is way fine by me. Installing ALL of the EPs and SPs at the same time has created a huge learning curve for me but with all your help, I’ll get it all figured out!

The gardening system is one of the things I really love about TS3 and is one of the many reasons I’ve come back to it after many years.
    SimplyJen wrote: »
    The Stones Throw Greenhouse premade lot shown in the picture is included (scroll down to see items included) and the lot thumbnail is there. @Rhiannon58 Sims 3 build tools are a little different from The Sims 4.

Actually it seems like building is a lot more like TS2 then TS4 which is way fine by me. Installing ALL of the EPs and SPs at the same time has created a huge learning curve for me but with all your help, I’ll get it all figured out!

The gardening system is one of the things I really love about TS3 and is one of the many reasons I’ve come back to it after many years.
    The whole collection at once is a lot to take in (but so much fun). Even after all these years, I'm still exploring new things. We are happy to help here anytime.

• lisasc360lisasc360 Posts: 19,280 Member
    @lanlyn who posts over in the "What happened in you TS3 Game today?" took the greenhouse lot and converted it over to a home lot for the Sims to live in.
    http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/808585/what-happened-in-your-sims-3-game-today/p2763
    @lisasc360 I think that’s where I saw the greenhouse for the first time. Beautiful!
  • lisasc360lisasc360 Posts: 19,280 Member
    @lisasc360 I think that’s where I saw the greenhouse for the first time. Beautiful!

@Rhiannon58, it sure is. Lanlyn did a good a job in changing it over to a house... :)
    How lovely! Thanks for the suggestion!
  • NabrilNabril Posts: 179 Member
    igazor wrote: »
    --When we talk about functional greenhouses, we usually mean by using the greenhouse TS3 Store set to build one.
    https://store.thesims3.com/setsProductDetails.html?productId=OFB-SIM3:58192&section=UpSell

It should be noted that you cannot build the store bought greenhouse and plant seeds inside it- you have to have at least one section of wall missing in order to plant. Once you're done planting, you can rebuild that section.
    sig.jpg
  • NabrilNabril Posts: 179 Member
    MKSizzle wrote: »
    I've had this process fail for various reasons. In one world, the parent and teen kept walking out of the house in opposite directions instead of either or both of them even getting into the available car. World routing issues, I guess. After a number of failures like that eating up too much game clock time, I will tend to grant the teen a skill level or two (if not all three) by way of MasterController.

The teen can also take a driving class at I think it's City Hall but that only grants them one skill level (in my experience).

With a Motive Mobile, driver's ed is a breeze- they can drive until they die of old age without their motives going down.
    sig.jpg
    Nabril wrote: »
    It should be noted that you cannot build the store bought greenhouse and plant seeds inside it- you have to have at least one section of wall missing in order to plant. Once you're done planting, you can rebuild that section.
    That has not been my experience, but I do remember having to place the seeds on the ground before they become plantable as opposed to trying to plant them from inventory. I think though it might be the NRaas Tempest mod that is fixing this for me.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
  • KarritzKarritz Posts: 21,920 Member
    I use the greenhouse 'all the time'. I use the venue after fixing it to my liking and use the various roof decor in builidings.

If you have seasons installed you'll need to make it weather proof by placing a flat roof over on your building and placing the roof decor on top. Placing the roof decor will make the flat roof become clear.

If you don't want to make it weatherproof you can do away with the flat roof and just place the roof decor. Doing it this way gives you shadows cast by the dark joining bits in the decor.

I add the Humble Harvest Stands along the front and the Lemonade Stand. They came with the Al Fresco Market venue. Plus I change the bar out for a professional bar and add a few other bits and pieces inside. I keep my amended greenhouse in my library and place it in just about every game.

I also have lots of extra harvestables that I've got from mods.

have to rush out now but can give you more info later if you need.

Happy Simming
    edited July 2018
    I can't actually remember if a pre-made building comes with the set, sorry not in-game at the moment. But it's not that difficult to build one once we get used to its special walls and ceiling parts. There may be pre-built lots out there, but then that would be a community use greenhouse as opposed to one we build on an existing residential lot.

So I found the ceiling and special windows in the building section special collection. I don’t see the special walls. Am I looking in the wrong place?

Also, if I get it built correctly, will my plants grow in the winter? ETA: if I had read the above posts carefully I would have seen you have to take out a wall piece to plant. Otherwise things are growing nicely in my new greenhouse!
    Post edited by Rhiannon58 on
    edited July 2018

So I found the ceiling and special windows in the building section special collection. I don’t see the special walls. Am I looking in the wrong place?

Also, if I get it built correctly, will my plants grow in the winter?
    I called them "walls," but I guess they are really windows and they are I believe really just cosmetic (who ever heard of a greenhouse with solid concrete walls). And yes, part of the entire point of the greenhouse is that plants will continue to grow in the winter and through any kind of weather.

I'll have to defer to the other experts on this thread for further building tips, though. :)
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    @Rhiannon58 When I briefly described how to make a greenhouse with the set, I should have explained a bit better. Karritz posted her explanation as well.
    • The walls are built with the same walls you use to build a normal lot. When you have the walls built, you will need to remove the normal roof on top of the walls/room you just built.
    • Floor tile, ceiling tile, and the flat roof will all work. You need to cover the top with either tile or flat roof if you want to prevent plants from going dormant in the winter.
    • I forgot about the greenhouse windows but those can be found with the other windows.
    • The greenhouse glass top pieces can be found via Decorations - Roof Decorations

You can watch this person build a greenhouse starting at 5:34 in the video. She skips the part where you cover the top with tile or flat roof to prevent winter. Go ahead and do this to prevent plants from going dormant in the winter.
    https://youtu.be/rkwZa2DE2Jc?t=5m34s
    Nabril wrote: »

As a fairly new gardener who is planting something new every day, this is a royal pain. As soon as I take out the wall section, the rest of the walls are in the way. But it's totally worth it to have a functioning greenhouse on the home property (like in TS2). Eventually as the family funds grow, I hope to expand it to look as amazing as the actual "Stone Throw Greenhouse", or a proximity thereof.

Thanks everyone for the tips and videos. Apparently creating this lovely little building has 🐸🐸🐸🐸 off the zombies and deer but at least the plants are safe! And last weekend, my first gardener reached her lifetime wish of having 8 perfect plants! She will be a senior in a few days and I expect she will spend the rest of her life puttering around in her little garden.
  • cwaddellcwaddell Posts: 4,960 Member
    I usually just plant outside the greenhouse and then use moveobjects on with build/buy and move them all where I want them within the greenhouse. I'm not sure if you can plant outside in the winter though.
  • IreneSwiftIreneSwift Posts: 6,247 Member
    I usually use planter pots in my sims' greenhouses, but for the greenhouse I made as a community lot, I used move objects on to put the auto soil plants in it. When I have had a sim plant in a greenhouse without pots, I've either had them plant outside and used move objects on to move them into the greenhouse, or turned move objects on and had them plant directly into the greenhouse, then turned move objects off.