Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

I know it's just a game...

...but this REALLY disturbed me.

It's the last day of Summer, and I was planning to age up my child Sim to Teen later on with a day of ice skating at The Old Salt House in San Myshuno. It was also Neighborhood Brawl Day, but I and my family was going to ignore that.

Or so I thought.

uzOMaja.jpg

My happily married couple, Liam and Cali O'Dourke, fighting in the middle of Sunny Side Cafe!

Got to say that I DO NOT LIKE this "holiday"! It didn't affect the relationship, fortunately -- but I ended up exiting without saving.

I'll have to see if it can be changed -- but with domestic violence a big issue, maybe they can exempt spouses from fighting targets?
Check out my Gallery! Origin ID: justme22
Fun must be always -- Tomas Hertl (San Jose Sharks hockey player)

Comments

• Options
    Evie0602Evie0602 Posts: 634 Member
    I think you can delete the surprise holidays.
  • Options
    stilljustme2stilljustme2 Posts: 25,082 Member
    edited July 2018
    If I can't delete, I'll change it to Family Fun Day -- something a bit more positive for the last day of Summer. It just caught me way by surprise is all and wanted to caution other folks. Maybe it's because I know people who've had to deal with domestic violence. :'( If it was anyone but his wife, I could deal with it, no problem, and probably laugh about it to boot.
  • Options
    BrindletonBrindleton Posts: 415 Member
    edited July 2018
    I really didn't like having this holiday / fighting tradition in the game.

Luckily it is possible to delete it in advance
  • Options
    ehaught58ehaught58 Posts: 2,765 Member
    I agree EA... Is this what we want to teach our kids that are playing this game? Domestic violence should not be a part of a game aimed at 13 year old kids.
    fkgck4xkargo.png
    "If you build it, they will come." - Movie: Field of Dreams
  • Options
    RedDestiny92RedDestiny92 Posts: 7,850 Member
    you can delete it but they hug after it doesn't affect their relationship in a negative way it's play fighting so you don't have to worry about that.
    Reddestiny921 on the gallery...still not sure if I capitalized the second d..lol
    All the sims err'day
    PmyCqgA.png
  • Options
    luthienrisingluthienrising Posts: 37,628 Member
    you can delete it but they hug after it doesn't affect their relationship in a negative way it's play fighting so you don't have to worry about that.

That just can end up, for someone who's been abused, mimicking an aspect of actual abusive behaviour. I can see where even that aspect could trigger a PTSD episode for someone who has PTSD from abuse.

Fortunately, as others have said, the holiday can be deleted and is on the calendar so someone has warning for it. That can actually be helpful for working on your PTSD.
    EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.
  • Options
    RedDestiny92RedDestiny92 Posts: 7,850 Member
    Yes I'm aware I have my own issues but I refuse to think on this more than what it is once it's deleted you don't have to see it at all is all I meant.
    Reddestiny921 on the gallery...still not sure if I capitalized the second d..lol
    All the sims err'day
    PmyCqgA.png
  • Options
    stilljustme2stilljustme2 Posts: 25,082 Member
    I wasn't able to delete or edit it but I was able to cancel it. Instead my Sims had breakfast at home, wen ice skating at my arena, then aged up my daughter and three of her friends.
  • Options
    Lady_BalloraLady_Ballora Posts: 786 Member
    Brawl Day? That's a weird choice for a holiday....
    Why do you hide inside these walls?
  • Options
    ehaught58 wrote: »
    I agree EA... Is this what we want to teach our kids that are playing this game? Domestic violence should not be a part of a game aimed at 13 year old kids.

And yet intentionally murdering Sims by drowning, starving, over-exposure, poorly-prepared food, etc. is completely okay in real life? By 13 I would hope most kids could tell the difference between what is a game and what is acceptable in real life.

I guess it is the middle school teacher in me that makes me feel that way. None of what you listed would be acceptable in a school environment that tries to be politically correct.
    fkgck4xkargo.png
  • Options
    littlemissgogolittlemissgogo Posts: 1,808 Member
    skelebee wrote: »
    Y'all...it's a video game. It's not that serious.

Thank you for courageously reminding us.
    6riwm5.png
  • Options
    Kniga_SitaraKniga_Sitara Posts: 414 Member
    edited July 2018
    It is game... Its game in game it si friendly fight... Ah political correct. OMG! Nothing bad is in this game. Its players choice!

You can delete too voodoo dolls and other. And so we will have soo lucky, happy sims. And very bore game when no bad will be...
  • Options
    DeKayDeKay Posts: 81,602 Member
    This holiday was probably inspired by my Dylan stories. :joy:
    My Top Song of the Day: Innocence by Avril Lavigne
    x3vZicL.gif
  • Options

And yet intentionally murdering Sims by drowning, starving, over-exposure, poorly-prepared food, etc. is completely okay in real life? By 13 I would hope most kids could tell the difference between what is a game and what is acceptable in real life.

I guess it is the middle school teacher in me that makes me feel that way. None of what you listed would be acceptable in a school environment that tries to be politically correct.

I'm not saying those things are acceptable in real life; I just find it strange that people pick and choose these really odd things about the game to suddenly be concerned about. Especially a silly neighborhood fight where your Sim can start pummeling literally any Sim that crosses their path, yet it's only questionable to fight a partner, but not some complete stranger? Or an elder? They might as well just remove the entire "Mean" category in the pie menu, otherwise they'll be accused of promoting bullying and abusive behavior.

Sims has always had content that would be inappropriate in real life. I suppose the only actions the devs could take is to either take out all of this behavior or just bump up the rating to M. But at least for this EP they had the forethought to make these surprise holidays deletable.

*Edited for clarity

Fair enough. But then again, what was the reason EA gave us for not having burglars in this game?
    fkgck4xkargo.png
  • Options
    IceyJIceyJ Posts: 4,641 Member
    edited July 2018
    I wasn't able to delete or edit it but I was able to cancel it. Instead my Sims had breakfast at home, wen ice skating at my arena, then aged up my daughter and three of her friends.

You can't delete it once it has begun. Have to delete before it starts. That goes for all of the holidays, I believe.
  • Options
    IceyJIceyJ Posts: 4,641 Member
    edited July 2018

I'm not saying those things are acceptable in real life; I just find it strange that people pick and choose these really odd things about the game to suddenly be concerned about. Especially a silly neighborhood fight where your Sim can start pummeling literally any Sim that crosses their path, yet it's only questionable to fight a partner, but not some complete stranger? Or an elder? They might as well just remove the entire "Mean" category in the pie menu, otherwise they'll be accused of promoting bullying and abusive behavior.

Sims has always had content that would be inappropriate in real life. I suppose the only actions the devs could take is to either take out all of this behavior or just bump up the rating to M. But at least for this EP they had the forethought to make these surprise holidays deletable.

*Edited for clarity

Fair enough. But then again, what was the reason EA gave us for not having burglars in this game?

EA never, ever said that. That was a rumor.

• Options
    invisiblgirlinvisiblgirl Posts: 1,709 Member
    I deleted the holiday when I saw it on the calendar - people fighting is definitely not something I consider to be 'fun'. You can 'end' a holiday in progress by clicking on the 'x' in the (annoying) pop-up in the left-hand corner.
    I just want things to match. :'(
  • Options
    HermitgirlHermitgirl Posts: 8,825 Member
    I think a lot of this stuff has been thought out as well as they can in a game that could never please all of the people all of the time. This game is aimed for a very general if not downright young audience already even though it's rated teen. I do worry the next installment will not have as someone suggested earlier a "mean" category at all. I'm sorry but I can't understand how people that are triggered by events like this should be a priority when creating this game. If something like this is really bothering someone it should be brought up to and with someone that can help you work through it.. and I'm not being mean saying this. To completely shut out all possibility of life problems even when shown in some silly over the top way is harmful, because problems and situations are out there. Sometimes situations like this let us think through them, process them or even put them in their place by laughing at them as best we can. And please understand I do not mean laughing at real life people in this situation at all but at the idea that this fear can control and paralyze us.
    This holiday can be taken out of your game with very little forethought. I enjoy it personally, but I like schoolboy, slapstick and rude humor at times what can I say? It's part of the reason I've always liked the sims. I think I wouldn't have enjoyed it if suddenly all my sims relationships tanked into the red but that's kind of hard to achieve even when you are working at it with a mean sim.
    egTcBMc.png
  • Options
    edited July 2018
    IceyJ wrote: »

*Edited for clarity

EA never, ever said that. That was a rumor.

Excuse me, I stand corrected. I do not use Twitter, and I never see Grant on the forums very often. Therefore, I have not seen this information until now. I wish the Gurus would communicate with us on the forums like they do on Twitter.
    fkgck4xkargo.png
  • Options
    MadameLeeMadameLee Posts: 32,753 Member
    Might I point out that in Germany the game's rated at 6+ and in UK/PEGI its 12+
    6adMCGP.gif
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top