Hi. I haven't found any mods that allow dogs to go on beds, so I decided to dabble a bit in modding. This is my first time modding any game so I still have a lot to learn, but I do have programming experience, so I won't have any problems with syntax.
I messed around with the existing XML files and I've come up with something:
Here is the package file for what I have so far:
Here's a summary of the changes I made:
- In the routing.portals.portal_tuning XML, I added a new PortalFlag named "DogBedPortal". I made this separate from the CatSurfacePortal so that dogs can't climb other unintended surfaces, like washing machines and cat condos.
- In the object_Dog and object_smallDog XML files, I added the DogBedPortal flag in the allowed_portal_flags list for adults and elders.
- I cloned the portalData_VariableJump_Bed XML files and made them specific to dogs. I put the DogBedPortal flag in the required_flags list.
- In all of the object_bed XML files, I added the applicable portalData_VariableJump_Bed flag in the portal_data list for testing purposes. I don't have Seasons, Vampires, and MFP, so beds in those packs won't work with what I have. Once I manage to learn the Python code structure, I plan to inject the flag in all the bed XML files for scalability.
Here are some things to note:
1. When big dogs jump on the bed, their hind legs will "land" beyond the edge of the bed, making them appear as if they're floating on air for a short while. I have no idea how to mess with animation files, and I've only done basic rigging in college, so I'm content to let this be.
2. I'm not sure if dogs would climb beds autonomously since this was achieved using the controllable pets mod. I'll have to playtest this a bit to see if they do. Does anyone know how to modify the tuning of pet autonomy?
3. Dogs can't sleep on the bed (or the floor for that matter). Whenever I select the option, I just get an exception reported by the MCCC. Are dogs really unable to use the "Sleep Here" command when clicking on a surface like the floor or a bed?Number 2 and 3 are my biggest concerns right now
. Does anyone know anything about dog autonomy in this game and whether it's possible for them to climb beds on their own? And is there a way to get the "Sleep Here" command to work? This is the exception I got when I selected it:
I'm not sure if anyone here can help, but I'll ask just in case. I've never posted on MTS or Sims 4 Studio's forum before, so I thought I'd ask here first.
Don't manhandle the urchin. He's not for sale. FIND YOUR OWN! - Xenon the Antiquarian, Dragon Age II