Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Age lengths have changed

Not sure if this has already been discussed, I couldn't see anything on it but apologies if I'm just late to the party. But they've changed our sims aging. Cats and dogs had a different aging system to humans, in that they would be given a range rather than a set number and each animal would randomise a number of days from that. They've now updated humans to work the same. I noticed a number of people saying the latest patch had altered their sims ages and sims that should have the same birthday no longer do, this is why.

Babies are still 2 days
Toddlers are 7-9 days
Children are 13-15 days
Teens are 13-15 days
Young adults are 22-25 days
Adults are 22-25 days
Elders are 9-12 days

I like the fact that when moving sims into new saves, not everyone will age up on the same day. I like that if my sim meets someone of the same age in town, they won't share the same birthday and I like that if I create people of the same lifestage in CAS, they won't share the same birthday. However I do worry that this means twins and triplets will have different birthdays. Maybe they need some sort of hidden trait for multiples that makes them randomise the number of days together. What do you guys think? Do you like this change?

Comments

• gummybear0724gummybear0724 Posts: 1,146 Member
    If this is true, I definitely like it. I loved this in TS3, and hate when my sims have multiple kids (created in CAS) and they're all twins.
  • TerraTerra Posts: 1,353 Member
    I don't really like this. I play rotationally and I want babies born at the same time to age up at the same time in the neighbourhood. Otherwise my carefully timed stories get out of sync.
  • simlandersimlander Posts: 196 Member
    This may be why the toddler I created in CAS aged up before his then-toddler sister who should have been a few days older! It's weird to have younger siblings suddenly older than the ones born before them.
    So, if sibling A is 5 days older than sibling B and A always gets the long span and B always gets the short span, sibling B will age up to young adult before A!

I'm okay with it for YA and up but for kids I don't think it makes any sense.
  • xbecky685xxbecky685x Posts: 323 Member
    Ah that explains why one twin (from unplayed family) aged before the other!
    Gallery xbecky685x
  • drakharisdrakharis Posts: 1,478 Member
    edited July 2018
    samlyt22 wrote: »
    Not sure if this has already been discussed, I couldn't see anything on it but apologies if I'm just late to the party. But they've changed our sims aging. Cats and dogs had a different aging system to humans, in that they would be given a range rather than a set number and each animal would randomise a number of days from that. They've now updated humans to work the same. I noticed a number of people saying the latest patch had altered their sims ages and sims that should have the same birthday no longer do, this is why.

Babies are still 2 days
    Toddlers are 7-9 days
    Children are 13-15 days
    Teens are 13-15 days
    Young adults are 22-25 days
    Adults are 22-25 days
    Elders are 9-12 days

I like the fact that when moving sims into new saves, not everyone will age up on the same day. I like that if my sim meets someone of the same age in town, they won't share the same birthday and I like that if I create people of the same lifestage in CAS, they won't share the same birthday. However I do worry that this means twins and triplets will have different birthdays. Maybe they need some sort of hidden trait for multiples that makes them randomise the number of days together. What do you guys think? Do you like this change?

I like this too and noticed it as well. I normally hate playing babies, toddlers and kids in the game. In my opinion, there just isn't enough to do for them. It seemed like Sims 3 had more those age groups could do. However, I am playing a test game. In this case, I created a household with kids and toddlers. I used "try for a baby" with the Sims with a high enough romance even if they aren't a couple per say. I was curious to see if there were any bugs with the different age groups which I normally would rarely play. I think if they are multiple births they should have the same birthday, However, if they are the same age group created in CAS then they should be randomised for that age group. I have noticed we still have randomised sibling and randomise twin in CAS. I like that my boy and his best friend aged up on the exact same day while his sister and her bestie did not. I like that he and his sister even have different birthdays too because I did a randomise sister with him rather than randomise twin. If they are chronologically born at different times like a few days apart the one born later should remain younger. Multiple births should age up on the same day and if they are the same age group but not multiples they should have different birthdays.
    Playtesting - not just tabletop games and card games any more. Really that should have been playtested in Beta and not [img]just with accounting and marketing but actual players. https://i.imgur.com/t48COW6.jpg[/img]
  • afai1261afai1261 Posts: 2,030 Member
    I noticed this and I don't like it. Don't ask me why I don't like it, I don't have a reason.
  • PlumDiddyPlumDiddy Posts: 551 Member
    I just updated my game today and noticed this. I love it!
  • Stina1701AStina1701A Posts: 1,184 Member
    What about the long lifespan?
  • afai1261afai1261 Posts: 2,030 Member
    Stina1701A wrote: »

I'm not sure about the different ranges, but I checked with a mod and one of my teens has a teen lifespan of around 60 days, one of my YA has 92 days from the start of the YA lifespan... I'll have to check with my other sims, but almost none of them are at the beginning of their lifestages anymore. I do have to say that the teen having 56 days left till YA was the weird one for me.
    I think she has been in play as a teen for around 4 simdays...? I'm only questioning myself because my aging settings are on active household only and I can't remember when she aged up. Though, she and her older brother aged up on the same day before the patch (he to YA and she to teen) and he had 92 days left from 96 days till age up, so that would make sense.
  • thatsnotswegthatsnotsweg Posts: 697 Member
    My twins ended up having different birthdays. :disappointed:
    gallery ID: thatsnotsweg

vYCrjvm.png
  • x_Always_Heart_xx_Always_Heart_x Posts: 567 Member
    Kind of related kind of not :#

It seems like the game doesn’t recognize multiple birthed kids as what they are. So like one time my boy/girl twins ended up being out of sync in “age” bc the girl got pregnant and they don’t age during that time. I ended up using MCCC to tick that off.
  • Evie0602Evie0602 Posts: 634 Member
    I don't like it because now my twins have different birthdays.
  • samlyt22samlyt22 Posts: 527 Member
    Stina1701A wrote: »

The long and short lifespans are calculated from the normal lifespan, rather than having the numbers listed anywhere. To work out what they would be, multiple the normal lifespan by 4 to get long and divide it by 2 to get the short lifespan.
  • mitchiebanjomitchiebanjo Posts: 172 Member
    If your twins have different birthdays you can still age them up using a cake can't you?
  • Pamtastic72Pamtastic72 Posts: 4,545 Member
    If your twins have different birthdays you can still age them up using a cake can't you?

Yes. I'm confused though. All my twins have always been born in game and have always gotten their birthday notifications on the same day. Has that changed? Or does this only apply to take created in CAS?
  • ErunnoErunno Posts: 6 New Member
    I don't like it... <.< Now i will have to record in an excel sheet when my sims should aged up. So sad. :disappointed:
  • Kita5399Kita5399 Posts: 2,112 Member
    I’m not a fan of this change, it’s reasons like this that I can no longer play without MCCC. I micro manage all of my Sims and their extended families, if cousins are the same age I’d like them to stay that way. I also like my Sims to have best friends that are the same age as they are.
    I’ve had a best friend in RL for over 20 years, it’s not like suddenly I’m an adult and she’s still in school. :D
  • Francl27Francl27 Posts: 761 Member
    .. why would they do that? I don't like it at all, and it seems completely unnecessary. Bleh. I always kinda figured that Sims not aging up when I got the birthday notification was because of a bug...

Anyway, how did you find out?
  • samlyt22samlyt22 Posts: 527 Member
    Francl27 wrote: »
    .. why would they do that? I don't like it at all, and it seems completely unnecessary. Bleh. I always kinda figured that Sims not aging up when I got the birthday notification was because of a bug...

Anyway, how did you find out?

I created an age mod last year which meant I knew how they had done the ages for the pets. So when I created a new game and both my young adults had a different wait to age up, I suspected they might have changed it to work the same way, so checked the code.
  • paradiseplanetparadiseplanet Posts: 4,421 Member
    While probably a positive change on paper, it's terrible in practice. Now multiples will have different birthdays which is downright stupid. Then again, the catch-all is I can simply age them all up on the same day with the same cake..?
    Origin ID: paradiseplanet27
    tumblr_ojq4r339Ni1usy5rpo1_100.png
  • SimTresaSimTresa Posts: 3,225 Member
    edited July 2018
    Noticed the change a couple days ago when I aged a toddler up to child. I was really confused when I saw she had 59 days to teen. Suppose in a way it's all right, I've got that much more time to work on her child skills and aspiration, something I usually don't get to do much with since it's a rotational save. Also a toddler I thought had about 18 days left suddenly had 26. The bad: That child was not supposed to have the same birthday as her younger sister, who suddenly spontaneiously aged up to toddler - while appearing to be at daycare when she was actually at home, which caused a glitch where I kept getting the notification that she had aged up!

Just checked on a pair of my twins: They still have the same birthday! I'm not too worried about the other twins in my game as I'm not currently playing them and three sets are elders anyway.
    image.png
  • citysimmercitysimmer Posts: 5,950 Member
    I'm not sure whether I like this or not, tbh.
    Proud black simmer 🖤
    MfVGMbL.jpg

• Atreya33Atreya33 Posts: 4,425 Member
    I'm not really happy about this change. If a sims is younger than another sim, it should stay that way. You shouldn't be able to 'catch up' on aging. I'll need to use the cake to age up some sims early from now, I suppose.

What really bothers me about this 'feature' is the lack of communication. I think a change like this should be mentioned in patch notes. What's the point of patch notes if you leave out changes to basic game behaviour. I'm glad I found this post, thanks for letting us know.
  • CK213CK213 Posts: 20,528 Member
    I don't care for it.
    It messed up my system for tracking my sims ages as I am playing a lot of households in rotation.
    The%20Goths.png?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds