Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Are the Sims 4 Expansions Repetitive?

HimRumiHimRumi Posts: 1,444 Member
edited July 2018 in The Sims 4 Game Feedback
Have you felt like the Sims 4 needed the Dangerous Stuff pack or others that are not like it? What difference it could bring into the game, that other iterations haven't.

Last, are you content with the same expansion packs from previous Sims games but with renovated gameplay or do you prefer brand new expansions? :relieved:
Post edited by HimRumi on

Are the Sims 4 Expansions Repetitive? 114 votes

Non-experienced content
14%
Bagoas77alanmichael1tinaestelleGrandRailElenPinkMaggieMarleywendelynecharlesbergItsJanierHenrique270BrindletonXareyahsofasimskelebeeKali_DurgaelimatwilSimmerBecca4481 17 votes
I'm okay with repetition
20%
JeanCabelle1863Angel_mixAlrynnhuandluWyrrenladybreidMissFashionistajcp011c2SajahilittlemissgogoLatinaBunnyQuess_is_BakedCallianne74So_MoneyRebeccaLynnAgustín CornejoCloudiiiiPlumDiddyForgottenPixels 23 votes
In-between
50%
Akl500PicmnfrshSamadamsPlayermissmani09Colorist40PlayerSinger2010BloosmooCynnaCherryrose_xMagdaleenaSchantalDJQ1308rosehrtgirldrake_mccartySeraphicPinkfruitsbasket101ApparentlyAwesomemommy19959699JoAnne65LadyTigress 58 votes
Not bothered
14%
GoldmoldarWritin_RegSimburianrobyngravesNivyxSjofnVulorimarbergJennyggPegasysTheWomanMonsterScripticJusticemusteniSimtown15TheGoodOldGamerLiaRose1435 16 votes

Comments

• Options
    SikoahGraceSikoahGrace Posts: 1,399 Member
    This is a weird poll for me. It doesn't really encompass how I feel. I mean Sims 2, 3, 4 seasons are the same concept but are also different from each other. Makin' Magic was the same concept as Supernatural but Supernatural was an expanded form. Each iteration offered something different from the first. So I'm not bothered by repetition, I'm ok with it, and I like non experienced content. I don't feel as if my sims need be in "danger" at all. Sims are quirky enough as it is and adding this aspect does not interest in the least bit. BUT....others may love it. For instance, I didn't care for the shark attacks in Island Paradise(Sims 3) but some people really enjoyed the idea of it adding a bit of danger while scuba diving. So I choose all of the above. ;)<3:*:#
  • Options
    KaronKaron Posts: 2,332 Member
    A dream of mine? Actual remakes of previous expansion packs, but mixed with brand new expansion packs. I mean... A new iteration of a franchise should focus in improving graphics, correcting bugs an expanding what we had, and not about destroying everything. Look at Cats & Dogs... Everyone hated it for not being like the previous versions, not including minor pets and other stuff. But then look at the vampires. They were not released in the same Night Life EP, but they were not decreased in content, they were actually increased.
    At first i thought that they were going to add the small pets more cooler than ever, but no... They made a mistake. Just like City Livin, where we are not even close to do things we could do in apartments like in Sims 2 and 3... They were decreased.
    I now that the SimGurus wanna try new things, i know that they want to add something personal of theirs in the game, but sometimes they forget that the game is not theirs. They game is for all of us.
    For example, following the vampires, i would be happy if Seasons wasnt only one EP anymore, if made in the right way, it could have been 4 different Expansion Packs. Look at Island Paradise, its a better Summer Expansion Pack than we ever had in a Seasons EP.
    Now, imagine a Winter Wonderland EP addin not only snow, but skiing, snow depht, snowboard, the Big Foot, Hockey, Ice Skating, Biathlon, and many more snow related things;
    Or a Spooky Autumn EP, including farming, farm animals and other stuff...
    Or a Enchanted Spring EP, including gardening and other hobbies, a huge collection of romantic interactions, wedding stuff, rabbits and more.
    But never taking out something we own. We paid for that stuff before, its our right to have it just like it was or better, never less than that.
    I mean... i understand why we didnt got open worlds and the option to change the colors a patterns of everything, but they could have implemented a turn on/off options, its not impossible.
    For the open world, they could have made lik it already is in Sims 4, different and smaller neighborhoods, but you could toggle if you want preloaded lots or not. For the customization, they could make the objects, clothes and hairs to change to the premade sets of colors.
    Maybe then thought about all of those things, but EA wanted the simoleons already. No more time to work on that game.
    As Junichi Masuda said once: A late game is always better than an early game.
    You know when babies are born premature, they have mor chances of having diseases or death?!
    Sims 4 is cool, but its ill.
  • Options
    CupidCupid Posts: 3,623 Member
    Karon wrote: »
    For example, following the vampires, i would be happy if Seasons wasnt only one EP anymore, if made in the right way, it could have been 4 different Expansion Packs.
    :s
    HdLHa3j.png
    (◡‿◡✿)
  • Options
    ElenPinkElenPink Posts: 541 Member
    Non-experienced content
    Repetition is annoying. It just leads to people asking for the same dumb plum all the time.
    webp_net_gifmaker_by_sarcasmisbetter-dcfn6tz.gif
  • Options
    So_MoneySo_Money Posts: 2,536 Member
    I'm okay with repetition
    If I understand the question correctly, I'm okay with repeating expansion content from past games if the content they provide is fundamental to a complete experience.

Put it this way: I'd much rather have something "essential" that's been done before than something "new" that doesn't address the game's glaring omissions.
  • Options
    Cherryrose_xCherryrose_x Posts: 524 Member
    In-between
    I'd like new stuff a lot!
    But some of the 'classics' like seasons and pets were needed imo.
    Gallery name: Anna-Banna
  • Options
    mustenimusteni Posts: 5,406 Member
    Not bothered
    Since I skipped TS3 a lot of the content feels fresh to me. I'm pretty much "okay with the repeptition", but chose "not bothered", because I wouldn't mind new stuff either... so maybe also "in-between" would fit me.
  • Options
    LatinaBunnyLatinaBunny Posts: 4,666 Member
    I'm okay with repetition
    I’m fine with it because Sims 4 is still missing a lot of past stuff.

Also, the past sims games have repeated themes as well.

It makes sense for a life simulation, since real life does have many of those themes like seasons, cities, toddlers, kids, hobbies, weather, university, etc. :wink:
    ~*~Occult Family Player player~*~
    (She/her)
  • Options
    KaronKaron Posts: 2,332 Member
    Cupid wrote: »
    Karon wrote: »
    For example, following the vampires, i would be happy if Seasons wasnt only one EP anymore, if made in the right way, it could have been 4 different Expansion Packs.
    :s

I can understand that, in the past i was afraid of the vampires being released alone, and i know that people wouldnt accept that until they played and it was good. But if they were made that way, we could have more content related to seasons.
    I am not saying that i want it, i just want it if its well done.
  • Options
    agustdagustd Posts: 946 Member
    I'm okay with repetition
    I don't mind getting the same EPs every iteration. Life simulation just needs certain things to be entertaining and make sense so I'm okay with packs like seasons, pets, etc. being a standard for every generation of sims. There is a way for new ideas to still make it into the game.
  • Options
    kaitlyn0kaitlyn0 Posts: 512 Member
    I don't understand the question.
  • Options
    Evie0602Evie0602 Posts: 634 Member
    In-between
    Not everyone played the previous sims games, so it's not really repetition. For me everything in the sims 4 is new content :)
  • Options
    caitzelcaitzel Posts: 48 Member
    In-between
    I don't mind repetition because I want to experience certain things, for example Seasons, on in my opinion, better graphics etc, however I would like to see more unique things.
  • Options
    aujinehaujineh Posts: 454 Member
    In-between
    I want new stuff but I also want the old stuff back but better than before.
  • Options
    TheGoodOldGamerTheGoodOldGamer Posts: 3,559 Member
    Not bothered
    As much as people like to say they want 'new content', they really don't. Anytime the gurus do a new take on stuff, people throw a fit about it. Anytime they stick closer to the same old, been there and done that formula, people are happy. Just see toddlers and Seasons for prime examples.
    Live, laugh and love. Life's too short not to.
  • Options
    ladybreidladybreid Posts: 3,455 Member
    I'm okay with repetition
    So_Money wrote: »
    If I understand the question correctly, I'm okay with repeating expansion content from past games if the content they provide is fundamental to a complete experience.

Put it this way: I'd much rather have something "essential" that's been done before than something "new" that doesn't address the game's glaring omissions.

this for sure
    wz3Vdbh.jpg
    Saying "not to be rude", then blatently being rude does not excuse rude behavior.
  • Options
    agustdagustd Posts: 946 Member
    I'm okay with repetition
    As much as people like to say they want 'new content', they really don't. Anytime the gurus do a new take on stuff, people throw a fit about it. Anytime they stick closer to the same old, been there and done that formula, people are happy. Just see toddlers and Seasons for prime examples.

No. I assume you mean the negative feedback the first expansions for TS4 received from the community.

I'm pretty sure that wasn't because people don't like change. It was about the bad timing. Bare bones base game of TS4 did not need a camping GP as the first DLC. It did not need active careers when people complained sims didn't have enough hobbies and stuff to do. People complained that TS4 was only about the daily grind... And EA gave them more of the daily grind as the very first EP! Then people cried for more family stuff because the game lacked severely in that aspect - it was just young adults and parties. So what did we get then? An EP focused on partying in Europe. And then an EP centered around young adults living in a big city, with even more active careers no one asked for.

The DLC I mentioned should have been saved for the last. I bet it would be met with much warmer welcome then. There was a reason TS4's management changed drastically after CL received all that backlash. And then the team actually started listening to people, and people were not saying they didn't want change. They were saying "before you start throwing fancy new ideas at us, give us the things you didn't include in the base game first"

You can't blame people for not having european disco raves as their priority for a game that shipped out without freakin toddlers :p
  • Options
    ApparentlyAwesomeApparentlyAwesome Posts: 1,523 Member
    In-between
    I'm in between on this. New is great, but it is a life simulator so of course some packs should reappear like Seasons, Pets, and University. I could also see how some would want vacations and even a pack with supernatural beings. Again I say, they could just include these (Seasons, Pets, even Uni) in the base game. But since they're not going to do that there are things that can be done to improve them when they are released as packs.

I honestly don't even know what a Dangerous Stuff pack would look like considering the temperament of The Sims 4. The Sims 4 is already pretty different from the past games but not in a good way overall necessarily, and I think part of its problem is that it's not more like or better than the previous games when it comes to releasing packs unless you go by numbers alone. I think it's more obvious in The Sims 4 due to changes but there's little balance between old and new ideas being released in part because you only get one EP a year now. Then there's an overabundance of stuff packs. Game packs, while I know are meant to be more focused, could be better utilized as expansions with more work though the trade off would probably be that they're about on par with the other EPs and depending on how one feels about EPs that's either good, eh, or bad.

I feel like The Sims 4 definitely needs new ideas, but I can't say it didn't or doesn't need any of the old stuff either. Some of the stuff that wasn't in it shouldn't have even been gone in the first place, and since the obvious packs won't be in the base game they're going to become packs later down the line. They could knock those most popular ones out first, but depending on what they have in mind it might take a while so that should leave space for new packs in between but resources. Instead of new it's like we're getting the old in pieces. There are 25(?) packs out now yet it look like less than half that many packs worth of content and most of the ideas for packs aren't really new to the franchise. Some of the content in them is new, but not the general theme. Every single EP can be compared to an old EP from one of the previous games where it can be argued that it was done better. The same goes for some GPs and SPs as well. It's not that there aren't any new pack ideas that can be done with The Sims series, or that any of the old packs can't be revamped and improved because there's still so much that can be done. It's just not being done for whatever reason.
    KqGXVAC.jpg
  • Options
    jcp011c2jcp011c2 Posts: 10,861 Member
    I'm okay with repetition
    Yes they are absolutely repetitive. And there are some things that, at this point, should probably have been included in the base game instead of rolled out for a 3rd and 4th time (basic weather, dogs and cats I'm looking at you.) But they weren't included in the base game, so they become most wanted packs because they have become integral to the game. So I"m okay with it. Though I'd be more okay next go around if some of this gets included in the base game, and instead of getting only one or two brand new types of EPS/GPS you get more innovative ideas.
    It's kind of sad that I have to point out that anything I say is only just my opinion and may be a different one from someone else.
  • Options
    Quess_is_BakedQuess_is_Baked Posts: 129 Member
    edited July 2018
    I'm okay with repetition
    I'm not really sure I understand the question because The Sims, in general, is repetitive. Every subsequent iteration of the sims more or less had all the things the first had, then built upon it in some way. These are literally the same games with better graphics and slight tweaks. Excluding the open world, most of what's in Sims 4 was in Sims 3. By the time it's all said and done, Sims 4 will probably have all the expansions/content that Sims 3 had, just without the open world. I'm ok with that because these things are what make up The Sims. The Sims is also rated T so you're not liable to get a "dangerous stuff" pack/expansion as that would push things more towards an M rating. Sims 3 has more to do in it than Sims 4, but I'd rather play 4 than 3. Rather than worry about repeated content, which genuinely needs to be there, I'd just like them to add more stuff. Repetition is fine, in this case, but trying new things wouldn't hurt either.
  • Options
    MovottiMovotti Posts: 7,774 Member
    In-between
    Too much repetition of past themes gets boring, but too much unfamiliarity is a little scary for a lot of players.

Unfortunately, with pets and seasons, we're running into the border of too much repetition. It's not that I don't like these themes, just that they feel a little ho-hum.

It's part of why I'm so against tropical islands and mermaids. I want farming and a Gothic seaside carnival.
    I don't just want university as it's been done before, I want an education themed pack, that goes beyond just uni. Tone down the uni side of things, and amp up education for children and teens.

I wouldn't mind sing bands return, but in a different way to in the past. Maybe they could cram the concept into a stuff pack, to make room for bigger packs to contain newer concepts.
    AmusingExhaustedArchaeopteryx-max-1mb.gif
  • Options
    JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    edited July 2018
    In-between
    In between. I love it when they do brand new things but I also think it’s inevitable some themes are done over and over again for each iteration. Besides, I’m discovering the vampires in the game at the moment (because someone was so kind to say “now if you aren’t buying the pack to see for yourself they are really great I will do it for you”, bless him :mrgreen:) and that experience has convinced me it’s totally possible to ‘repeat’ content but turn it into a completely new experience. I believe Seasons does the same atm with its calendar system. So yeah, a bit of both as long as they treat it differently.

‘Repeating’ doesn’t necessarily equal repetitive.
    (came up with that one myself but checked since English isn’t my own language and you never know if I was talking rubbish, but it’s official :blush:)
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    SimburianSimburian Posts: 6,914 Member
    Not bothered
    I don't mind. There are only so many variations you can have anyway. Seasons was a must have.

PS: @ZhaguiSimmer "are" not "is" if you are not using your native language as you are talking about "expansions" plural.
  • Options
    EnkiSchmidtEnkiSchmidt Posts: 5,341 Member
    In-between
    I prefer non-experiencend content, because I still play Sims 2 and do not want two games that are too much alike. However, I skipped a uge chunk of Sims 3, so much of my non-experienced content (time travel, horses, diving, fairies) would be repeated content objectively.
  • Options
    fruitsbasket101fruitsbasket101 Posts: 1,530 Member
    In-between
    I'm in-between because I feel like at this point seasons and pets should be base game features but a few of the past eps (university, supernatural, etc.) could still be released and I wouldn't mind. However, new ideas for eps, sps and gps should still be encouraged.
    Have a super fantastic awesome splendid amazing day! -TheQxxn