Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Comments

• invisiblgirlinvisiblgirl Posts: 1,709 Member
    For some reason, I have four bird of paradise plants in my household inventory - I'm guessing my Sim got them as a bonus for a promotion in the gardening career. When I planted one outside, it planted like a seed, not as a plant ready to blossom, and it's been out of season so far, so it's still just a hole in the ground.

Fish and growfruit seem to be the best fertilizer - my plants have been doing better since the toddler aged up and the mother can spend her days off fishing. (Honestly, you'd think this game was a gardening sim rather than a life sim the way I play it. And I don't even like real-life gardening.)
    I just want things to match. :'(
  • EuphorialQueenEuphorialQueen Posts: 6,224 Member
    edited July 2018
    kalaksed wrote: »
    It should *eventually* produce the third harvestable if it's supposed to. but those are generally rare plants, and the rarer the harvestable, the less likely it will be produced each time a 'roll' is made to see what harvestable is produced in each spot the plant has room for. add in the fact that every plant now has fewer of those spots for harvestables, it's going to be a rather small chance to see those pop up on the spliced plants. but it can still happen
    In all the time I have been playing since both patches I have yet to gain anything from grafting. The plant with show what should be produced but it never manifests to be harvested. I have had some plants appear in my inventory but they are either from fishing, gifting or job rewards. There are limited yields on some plants. If I wait a bit after seeing the first buds a few more may appear before harvesting.
    Beware having a gardening club unless all the members are in your household. Gardening as a club activity may sound like a big help. They will not only weed and water but also harvest autonomously. This has been happening since Get Together was released. Don't lose your precious crops to NPCs.
    Part of text removed from quote to save space

• HermitgirlHermitgirl Posts: 8,825 Member
    Well thank you for the info. I've loved gardening in this game and have been reluctant to jump in fully because of the changes made. I think I'll enjoy learning a new system though.
    I have a question about grafting though.. do the plants that are grafted onto or the base plant determine the season the plant is in boom? Thinking of only making a garden that blooms at certain times of the year to make it easier for my more prolific outdoor gardeners.
    Mostly because I don't like the way the plants look when they go dormant...
    egTcBMc.png
    @Hermitgirl That is a great question and one I did not explore. I can only say they all bloom year round inside a greenhouse. I just put most of my plants into household inventory. Only kept a select few inside an enclosed greenhouse. They are still on the ground and not in planters.
    They were looking ugly and dead until I did that. Even the landscaping plants look dull.
    I am beyond happy that this thread has been a good conversation. Lots of great sharing of information. Perhaps an official clarification would help us all understand.
    How about it @EA_Mage @SimGuruNick @SimGuruGraham @SimGuruKate
  • kalaksedkalaksed Posts: 2,643 Member
    i intended to check on the splices, myself. even had a plant set up that produced in spring, spliced a summer plant onto it...and totally forgot to play the household at all all summer to check...
  • artofitartofit Posts: 2 New Member
    I really like the new evolve system so far. It makes sense to me that giving your plants extra care, like fertilizing, would make them evolve faster. However, I have not been serious about evolving my plants, I just like being able to see where my plant is on the evolution scale. I also appreciate that plants' descriptions show what you have spiced together. However, I think it's nonsense to have the spice only have a chance of producing the new plant! I thought my game had a bug and splicing just wasn't working. It would be nice if they are going to make that change permanent for there to be some sign that the splice was successful. Something like the description of the plant only listing the harvestable that will be produced or a sim moodlet that says "+2 happy for gardening success! You produced a new kind of harvestable!" It could even be on a delay like after trying for a baby, your sim doesn't know they are pregnant right away. Maybe for a day after the plant description says "Spliced plant, Harvestables???" and then changes to what it will produce. So a day after you spice a plant you get a notification or a moodlet boost. Just something to let you know this is an intended random chance, not a glitch.
  • GramcrackersGramcrackers Posts: 1,162 Member
    I was upset that about half of a garden's plants were little piles of dirt when they had been mature thriving plants before ' Seasons' changed things. They didn't even sprout and now the growing season is over. At the moment I just don't care for the changes in gardening at all.
  • Wind_stealerWind_stealer Posts: 1 New Member
    I've been playing with spliced plants for two sim years and haven't gotten the plants I need. I have four plants to produce orchids, four plants to produce bird of paradise, and they make 2 or 3 harvestables at a time in my greenhouse. I'm so frustrated that I don't even want to play the Sims at all.
    @artofit There are a lot of pluses to the new system. I like not have to actually interact to evolve. Selling directly from the plants is also a big plus.
    @Gramcrackers @Wind_stealer
    My hope is to better understand what is supposed to happen. And to get some adjustments that allow gardening Sims to add to the plant collections without spending tons is Simoleons to complete the task. It seems a bit excessive that it takes more than one life time.
  • QueenMercyQueenMercy Posts: 1,680 Member
    So that’s why I can never get dragon fruit.
  • MissTripsMissTrips Posts: 86 Member
    I became so frustrated by the spliced plants never producing the third growth, and spending several thousand simoleans on seed packs and not getting anything I needed that I turned on the see hidden objects cheat and just bought what I had been missing. If I'd been running an actual challenge game with rules my sim would never have managed to get a death flower! (or even an orchid!)

The Sims team really needs to go and look back at the coding for harvestables. The growing seasons change is fine, that's just managing your crops and putting vital plants into greenhouses so that you have what you need no matter the season, and making sure your fridge is nicely stocked when your outdoor plants are producing. However, the brutal nerfing of crop size, along with the spliced plants being nearly useless really impacts players who run games where gardening is important. The team already fixed the bug that caused crops to increase constantly in price, so it certainly isn't the money haul it used to be!
    1cf96556-e72a-4628-a805-602355bf82a0_zps9cde3287.png
  • nervousnervous Posts: 113 Member
    I like the new system a lot, EXCEPT FOR SPLICING. The new system has made it essentially IMPOSSIBLE to get the harvestables that I want. I heard somewhere there's like a 1% chance of the splicing producing the harvestable that you want. Don't know if that's true, but if so, I would much, much rather splicing have a way higher percentage of working.
    really though...we need more musical instruments.
    QueenMercy wrote: »
    So that’s why I can never get dragon fruit.
    I finally got dragonfruit but it was from the 250 Simoleon seed packet. Never from splicing since the update though.
  • jessica925jessica925 Posts: 33 Member
    I'm a bit disappointed with the grafting chances being reduced so significantly. I enjoy having to collect and get my plants from the world/grafting and with this change the grafting doesn't really seem like an option anymore. I also used to like to graft to combine plants so they took less space. Plus I liked grafting to get the cow berry as that's the only way you could get an evolved cow berry in the past. I've not played long enough in a post Seasons save to be able to comment on the changes to evolution, but as it's described it seems a bit extreme to reduce the speed of evolution by 4 when they only halved the number of levels. It will make it hard for challenges when you play on a normal lifespan or as some people have commented, for those who rotational play.
  • dizzydee_kdizzydee_k Posts: 475 Member
    edited July 2018
    I like that gardening has been made to be more challenging, but I think it needs to be tweaked a bit. The botany Aspiration needs to be fixed to at least be theoretically doable. They eliminated "writer's block" so it's not unheard of to tweak Aspirations. I haven't tried the new careers, but they sound like they need some tweaks as well.

What I don't like about the changes is that it feels as if no one thought how they would actually play out. Especially for players who like to switch households or play a lot of households rotationally. And the "Garden Gnomes" club from GT might as well disband, because: What are they to do?

I've always liked dependencies in my game. The Gardener sells her produce from her retail store. The Baker buys his produce from the Gardener's store* as do my non-gardening Sims. Everyone buys lovely meals, baked goods and birthday or wedding cakes from the Baker.

*Or they did until the Lice Cold Freezer stopped working. :| I had been getting around the broken Lice Cold Freezer by sending the Baker and my non-gardening Sims to my community garden for produce - which is run by the Gardener. Not sure how I will work all this out.
  • dizzydee_kdizzydee_k Posts: 475 Member
    Yay. “The Lice Cold Retail Freezer can now hold harvestables for you to sell.“ Fingers crossed.
  • GramcrackersGramcrackers Posts: 1,162 Member
    My Sims in a family that were all gardeners had no produce in their inventory and couldn't get produce from the fridge to replace the plants that didn't grow.
    And there weren't plants at the festival that always had them.
    The community garden in my game was a mess with plants missing and the apple tree missing, as well as the Dragon Fruit. Useless lot now.
  • FlamingoKicker1FlamingoKicker1 Posts: 4,473 Member
    Is this problem I'm having just in my game or in everyone's? When my sims take cuttings and you look at them in your inventory or go to graft something all you see is a generic "garden cutting" but it doesn't tell you what it is from so you are blindly putting a cutting with your plant and you have no idea what you'll get. Is that the way they intended it? I think it would be alot more helpful if it told you which cutting was from which plant.
  • mcruddmcrudd Posts: 11,696 Member
    I do have the Bird of paradise in my notebook, sorry can't post pic seems like imgur is a bit buggy at the moment. I did however have the issue with splicing and plants not producing, but after several trial and errors and splicing differently I managed to get them all to give a harvest of all the plants spliced together. That were with two splices, so I am attempting three splices soon and will give feedback on which ones work well together. Gardening is definitely a bit more challenging now ;)
  • mcruddmcrudd Posts: 11,696 Member
    ?
    splicing differently
    ? Would like to know more please and thank you :)

I was making a collection for my sim containing only the flower arrangement flowers, there were however so many a person can use, that I thought of halving it by splicing. But then I noticed that only some of them would give both flowers as a harvest and some of them no matter how many seasons past or how many times I harvest them only gave me one flower of a two flower spliced plants. Here is the ones I battled with most. For eg Bluebell and basil, only wants to give basil and Daisy and bird of paradise only wants to give daisy and lastly the rose and fireleaf only wants to give roses. But then I inverted the splice, so instead of grafting basil on bluebell, I did the cutting from the bluebell onto the basil and then it presented both, it was the same with the daisy and bird of paradise and with the rose and fireleaf. Since inverting both flowers are being produced for harvesting.

I was also trying to update my balcony harvest which only exists out of fridge harvestables and had trouble with three splicing it and getting all three produce, so I will have to play around with those as well to get them to produce all three harvests for me at a time :D