Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Can we talk about The Sims 4 and frame rate?

2...Next

Comments

• Options
    SimburianSimburian Posts: 6,914 Member
    edited July 2018
    Simburian wrote: »
    I have a new option with my HP Omen laptop to choose 120FPS (out of 3 choices) but have no idea what is the ideal FPS for Sims4 as my last only went up to 60FPS. I have the NVidia GTX1060.
    I've chosen 60FPS as I haven't got the faintest idea if going higher would be any advantage or not.

The game runs beautifully though --at the moment.

Your fps should be the same as your screens refresh rate, If that's 120Hz then your fps should be 120FPS (although you may not actually get that.) If it's 60Hz then your fps should be 60FPS. I recommend 60Hz for this game as it has troubles keeping a steady fps. Generally if you play racing sims or shooters then that's when the 120Hz might be better then 60.. depending on your system.

Thanks @chesterbigbird I'm keeping the FPS at 60 then. I can definitely see a difference from my older one with the NVidia 840M even though it was quadcore and had 16G RAM. That will run the game but heats up fast this one is "real" cool!

From now on this game definitely needs an good Gaming computer and EA should admit it. I can actually upgrade this laptop to some extent.
  • Options
    sikasika18sikasika18 Posts: 343 Member
    Hope they patch the game with a lot of tweaking to the performance in the future.
  • Options
    SimburianSimburian Posts: 6,914 Member
    sikasika18 wrote: »
    Hope they patch the game with a lot of tweaking to the performance in the future.

People need to invest in a new quality PC or Mac so that EA don't have to cater for low end systems anymore.
  • Options

People need to invest in a new quality PC or Mac so that EA don't have to cater for low end systems anymore.

Umm.... I have a custom built gaming rig that I myself built aaand the game isn't capable of scaling to hardware so yeah, they need to tweak the game as it ONLY caters to low end.
  • Options
    JPsimmerJPsimmer Posts: 109 Member
    Update on Corsair One:

Well, the game runs almost flawlessly on a high end gaming rig. Load times are about 5 seconds. The only issue is the game does feel like it wasn’t designed for powerful systems. Minor Stutter does happen from time to time buts it’s not a deal breaker.

The real issue is the game just doesn’t simulate lots of sims very well. For example I sent my Sim to a nightclub and there were about 50 sims on the dance floor, and many of them were standing inside each other, standing inside furniture etc. It was impossible to interact with some sims because about 5 of them were dancing on the exact same tile. Serious clipping issues XD. Frame rate is steady though, unless spinning the camera.

It is what it is - buggy.
  • Options
    GoldmoldarGoldmoldar Posts: 11,966 Member
    JPsimmer wrote: »
    Update on Corsair One:

Well, the game runs almost flawlessly on a high end gaming rig. Load times are about 5 seconds. The only issue is the game does feel like it wasn’t designed for powerful systems. Minor Stutter does happen from time to time buts it’s not a deal breaker.

The real issue is the game just doesn’t simulate lots of sims very well. For example I sent my Sim to a nightclub and there were about 50 sims on the dance floor, and many of them were standing inside each other, standing inside furniture etc. It was impossible to interact with some sims because about 5 of them were dancing on the exact same tile. Serious clipping issues XD. Frame rate is steady though, unless spinning the camera.

I do agree Sims 4 does not benefit greatly in regards to one's specs except for the video card as far as graphics goes. The way I see regardless if Sims 4 runs on an potato computer EA/Maxis does not want features that makes the most of one's system and I do not see Sims 4 as the cream of the crop because of that. However, the path for Sims 4 has been chosen and one must wait for this version to end its cycle of production and hope there is an Sims 5 and no telling what path EA/Maxis will take on that version.
    Omen by HP Intel®️ Core™️ i9- 12900K W/ RGB Liquid Cooler 32GB Nvidia RTX 3080 10Gb ASUS Ultra-Wide 34" Curved Monitor. Omen By HP Intel® Core™ i7-12800HX 32 GB Nvidia 3070 Ti 8 GB 17.3 Screen
  • Options
    Goldmoldar wrote: »
    Update on Corsair One:

I do agree Sims 4 does not benefit greatly in regards to one's specs except for the video card as far as graphics goes. The way I see regardless if Sims 4 runs on an potato computer EA/Maxis does not want features that makes the most of one's system and I do not see Sims 4 as the cream of the crop because of that. However, the path for Sims 4 has been chosen and one must wait for this version to end its cycle of production and hope there is an Sims 5 and no telling what path EA/Maxis will take on that version.

I wish so hard for them to make the game be able to scale to hardware properly. Only way I can get a CONSISTENT frame rate with my high end pc is to have the game run in 4k. I get low fps but it is more consistent and to the eye, more bareable. Also, Nvidia and amd needs to keep the sims in mind when programming their drivers. They do game ready drivers for EVERY game released but not any of the sims games:(
  • Options
    chesterbigbirdchesterbigbird Posts: 8,581 Member
    Update on Corsair One:

I wish so hard for them to make the game be able to scale to hardware properly. Only way I can get a CONSISTENT frame rate with my high end pc is to have the game run in 4k. I get low fps but it is more consistent and to the eye, more bareable. Also, Nvidia and amd needs to keep the sims in mind when programming their drivers. They do game ready drivers for EVERY game released but not any of the sims games:(

I don't think game ready drivers for the sims games will ever happen. It's mainly for those hardware taxing AAA titles.
    I could never play a game like this at 4K because the UI would be tiny.
    i7 6700K
    16GB hyper X fury
    MSI GTX 1080
    MSI gaming M5 mobo
    Evga 750 supernova
    Corsair hydro h110i GT
    Corsair obsidian 750D
    500GB SSD
    6TB Seagate Barracuda Pro
    LG 34" ultra wide

• Options
    Update on Corsair One:

I don't think game ready drivers for the sims games will ever happen. It's mainly for those hardware taxing AAA titles.

I do not think so myself and for me it would not be worth my time.
    Omen by HP Intel®️ Core™️ i9- 12900K W/ RGB Liquid Cooler 32GB Nvidia RTX 3080 10Gb ASUS Ultra-Wide 34" Curved Monitor. Omen By HP Intel® Core™ i7-12800HX 32 GB Nvidia 3070 Ti 8 GB 17.3 Screen
  • Options
    Update on Corsair One:

No I know it won't happen but one can dream right? The UI han be enlarged in the .ini file so 4k is not a problem however they should focus on getting the next game optimized enough for 1080p and that the frame rate is consistent and not flying all over the place like in ts4.
  • Options
    tams2578tams2578 Posts: 705 Member

People need to invest in a new quality PC or Mac so that EA doesn't have to cater for low-end systems anymore.

Are you going to pay for it? Not everyone can afford to plunk down thousands of dollars for a computer or wants to.
    Zwdtm8.png
  • Options
    tams2578 wrote: »

People need to invest in a new quality PC or Mac so that EA doesn't have to cater for low-end systems anymore.

Are you going to pay for it? Not everyone can afford to plunk down thousands of dollars for a computer or wants to.
    Not to mention, people with high end computers experience these problems too so it has nothing to do with specs.
  • Options

Not to mention, people with high end computers experience these problems too so it has nothing to do with specs.

It really is how well EA/Maxis tweak thier games and only one area benefits and that is how powerful is your video card when it comes to graphics but as far as features goes not so much.
  • Options
    DeKayDeKay Posts: 81,598 Member

I agree. Also from what I've seen, the game seems to favor not so high end computers more. And it also hates gaming laptops.
    My Top Song of the Day: Innocence by Avril Lavigne
    832XG3D.gif
  • Options

Some people experience problems and not all, regardless of specs or what tier one is in it Imho it does not put EA/Maxis in a good light being it is thier project and should know how to tweak it. Whether it is Sims 3 or 4 some people still are having problems and the thing with Sims 4 it does not have most of the features that were present in Sims 3 and the game still has problems.
  • Options
    vikixcvikixc Posts: 330 Member
    Same for me. My PC is over the reccommended yet since the last patch it's lagging and hanging like the Sims 3 used to do. Meh.
    2UFyFUV.png

• Options
    foussifoussi Posts: 642 Member
    Same here
    I have a gtx 1060
    Good graphics and constant over 60 fps but
    when I move my mouse I suffer from stutters out of nowhere.
    And I have the mouse stuffer problem ONLY on sims 4.
    Games bigger than sims 4 don't suffer from that.

I think an optimization patch should made that only focuses on the issues we describe because if even high end pcs have problems then there is something wrong.
  • Options
    There are still people that claims the game is perfect lmao xD yes people with no tech skills that plays the game in 10-15 fps says it is perfect believe me I saw the fps irl. If that is how the majority of the fanbase is then I have no hope of EA ever feeling the need to produce a capable game in the future.