Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Effect Seasons has on Gardening

Hi all,

Seasons is overall a welcome addition to my game, but it sure does make gardening a lot more tricky!

Has anyone found a way of continuing any form of gardening during winter, except the use of the flower arrangement table?

Also, are you only able to plant/grow 'seasonal' plants during those seasons, or is it just that those plants do better?

Your wisdom is much appreciated :)
2dl3asp.jpg

Comments

• mikamakimonmikamakimon Posts: 470 Member
    I haven't tried with every plant, but from what I saw those not in season will be dormant and retreat back to the ground. Someone in the forum made a great list of all the plants and their growing seasons.

If you grow them indoors the plants will be active year round.
  • LaBlue0314LaBlue0314 Posts: 17,436 Member
    All I can say is build your sim a greenhouse.
  • Rae357Rae357 Posts: 922 Member
    Plants grow outside when they are in season and go dormant when out of season. Plants that are out of season can grow inside only. You can even delete the floor so you don't have to use planters, as long as there is a roof.
  • BabySquareBabySquare Posts: 7,869 Member
    Someone in the forum made a great list of all the plants and their growing seasons.

That was me :) though I did have some help.
    The list can be found here:

https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/941937/seasons-gardening-harvestables-new-info-thank-you-kalaksed#latest
    Gallery ID: babysquare
  • SimmervilleSimmerville Posts: 11,669 Member
    I think it's all more realistic now. Outdoor gardening is in fact seasonal.

I like that my gardeners/farmers can take a season or two off, and that they might need to fill that loss of income from produce during the active persiods. Spreading your plant choices on all seasons should make it possible to grow parts of your garden at any time of the year.

The only thing I dislike about gardening is that you can no longer weed a single plant by hand. Some of my sims only grow a couple pots at their entrance, and it looks too silly using the huge weed-vacuumer. Besides, pro gardeners needed the efforts and time spent to build theit skills.
    Simmerville on Youtube | My blog is updated weekly: Simmerville's Sims<br>a.jpg
  • mikamakimonmikamakimon Posts: 470 Member
    BabySquare wrote: »
    Someone in the forum made a great list of all the plants and their growing seasons.

That was me :) though I did have some help.
    The list can be found here:

https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/941937/seasons-gardening-harvestables-new-info-thank-you-kalaksed#latest

I meant to check this once I got home, so guess I won't have to now :) Your list was a great help to get me started, thank you!
  • Proteus42Proteus42 Posts: 891 Member
    ALso, you can only plant plants when it is not too cold.
    If the temperatures are freezing, you won't be able to plant any plants in your garden (as the soil is frozen)
    (but not every day in winter is necessarily a day with freezing temperatures ... often there are days when the temperatures are warm enough to plant. Also, plants that have winter as their growth period (for example onions or potatoes) will become harvestable even if covered in snow)
  • PoppyRichardsPoppyRichards Posts: 1,466 Member
    Thanks very much for all the great tips! I'm reading the guide @BabySquare right now :)
    I am still confused why I can't grow my winter-seasonal holly indoors? I thought that would be fine? It's in a pot
    2dl3asp.jpg
  • drake_mccartydrake_mccarty Posts: 6,115 Member
    From my experience:

Plants grown indoors will be active year round, but planted outdoors will only grow in their specific season(s). A greenhouse would allow you to grow and harvest plants outside of their outdoor season, not sure what the fruition rate is indoors though. Outdoor plants seem to fruit more often (daily?) during their growth seasons.
  • SimmerjoySimmerjoy Posts: 2 New Member
    I have a question... has anyone else's Sims been removing their winter coats to harvest carrots and potatoes that are outdoors in snow? They will spontaneously go to talk to their plants... but they do keep the winter coats on for that.
  • SpirithartSpirithart Posts: 20 Member
    it might just be a bug not sure i have my plants in a green house