Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Cheesecake Is it Cake or Pie?

temerald7667temerald7667 Posts: 2,266 Member
edited June 2018 in Off Topic Chat
I live in Valdez Alaska and a local ice cream shop had a discussion on cheesecake.
Is Cheesecake, Cake or Pie

I personally feel it's a cake.
However, there were some pretty convincing comments as to why it's a pie

What do you think?

Cake or Pie

cheesecake
1485531666198.jpeg

cake
vanilla-cake-IMG_3873-600x478-350x350.jpg

pie
438px-Chicken_Pie.JPG

98bcdb5d7c879fd685f0cae94de32016.gif

Comments

• mintycupcakemintycupcake Posts: 13,212 Member
    Cheesecake is cheesecake.
    🌻I'm not a cat.🌻
  • kaitlyn0kaitlyn0 Posts: 512 Member
    It's a cake. End of discussion.
  • takenbysheeptakenbysheep Posts: 343 Member
    pie
    /pī/
    noun
    a baked dish of fruit, or meat and vegetables, typically with a top and base of pastry.
    synonyms: pastry, tart, turnover
    "the enticing aroma of fresh-baked pies"
    cake
    /kāk/
    noun
    an item of soft, sweet food made from a mixture of flour, shortening, eggs, sugar, and other ingredients, baked and often decorated.
    "a carrot cake"
    cheese·cake
    /ˈCHēzˌkāk/
    noun
    a kind of rich dessert cake made with cream and soft cheese on a graham cracker, cookie, or pastry crust, typically topped with a fruit sauce.

I don't think cheesecake falls under the definition of either pie nor cake, and deserves its own category. It probably falls closer to cake on the spectrum between the two desserts, partly because it has cake in its name and because the definition for cake is a bit more open ended than the definition for pie.
    kaitlyn0 wrote: »

While I would be outraged if someone brought me cheesecake when I'd asked for cake, the dictionary would agree with you:

—noun

Also, cheese cake. a cake having a firm custardlike texture, made with cream cheese, cottage cheese, or both, and sometimes topped with a jamlike fruit mixture.
    🌻I'm not a cat.🌻
  • icmnfrshicmnfrsh Posts: 18,789 Member
    I was thinking it was pie-ish at first, but the only crust it has is the graham underside. The rest of it isn't covered in a pie crust. So it's a lot closer to cake than pie.
    Don't manhandle the urchin. He's not for sale. FIND YOUR OWN! - Xenon the Antiquarian, Dragon Age II

Race Against the Clock: Can your elder sim turn back the clock before their time runs out?
  • the_greenplumbobthe_greenplumbob Posts: 6,105 Member
    edited June 2018
    I'd say it's probably closer to cake. Pies normally consist of something that covers the main flavour; such as pastry covering apples in an Apple Pie, or mashed potatoes covering mince in a Shepherd's Pie. In a cheesecake, the main flavour is the cream ontop - this isn't covered by anything, so it's not really a pie.

That does raise the question as to whether 'crumble' counts as a pie then, because you have "breadcrumbs" covering the fruit underneath, which is the main flavour.
  • CupidCupid Posts: 3,623 Member
    edited June 2018
    I feel like it's just its own thing. There are cakes, there are pies, and there are Cheesecakes.
    HdLHa3j.png
    (◡‿◡✿)
  • ShadyboopShadyboop Posts: 6,751 Member
    It is on a different spectrum
    I prefer Shade than Shady
  • the_greenplumbobthe_greenplumbob Posts: 6,105 Member
    I think it would be better if we stopped using labels
  • citysimmercitysimmer Posts: 5,950 Member
    Don't box it in, let cheesecake be cheesecake
    Proud black simmer 🖤
    MfVGMbL.jpg

• temerald7667temerald7667 Posts: 2,266 Member
    Cheesecake is cheesecake.

Yes, I agree. Can it just be in its own category?

Simple to the point! Cake is in its name!
    pie
    /pī/
    noun
    a baked dish of fruit, or meat and vegetables, typically with a top and base of pastry.
    synonyms: pastry, tart, turnover
    "the enticing aroma of fresh-baked pies"
    cake
    /kāk/
    noun
    an item of soft, sweet food made from a mixture of flour, shortening, eggs, sugar, and other ingredients, baked and often decorated.
    "a carrot cake"
    cheese·cake
    /ˈCHēzˌkāk/
    noun
    a kind of rich dessert cake made with cream and soft cheese on a graham cracker, cookie, or pastry crust, typically topped with a fruit sauce.

I don't think cheesecake falls under the definition of either pie nor cake, and deserves its own category. It probably falls closer to cake on the spectrum between the two desserts, partly because it has cake in its name and because the definition for cake is a bit more open ended than the definition for pie.

This is great, thanks!

While I would be outraged if someone brought me cheesecake when I'd asked for cake, the dictionary would agree with you:

—noun

Also, cheese cake. a cake having a firm custardlike texture, made with cream cheese, cottage cheese, or both, and sometimes topped with a jamlike fruit mixture.

This is great!
    icmnfrsh wrote: »
    I was thinking it was pie-ish at first, but the only crust it has is the graham underside. The rest of it isn't covered in a pie crust. So it's a lot closer to cake than pie.

I really hadn't thought about this and really didn't care to until the local ice cream shop began asking questions about it. It's always been cheesecake and I just didn't question it.
    Cupid wrote: »
    I feel like it's just its own thing. There are cakes, there are pies, and there are Cheesecakes.

Yes I agree
    Shadyboop wrote: »
    It is on a different spectrum

I agree
    citysimmer wrote: »
    Don't box it in, let cheesecake be cheesecake

Yes, let it be!
  • IdontrcallIdontrcall Posts: 19,349 Member
    I put 3 tablespoons of flour in my cheesecake -- it's a cake to me. Plus I think the graham (or whatever you use) crust is not a very important part of the whole equation.

And look at pound cake ... it can look just like bread -- but it's cake. So appearance isn't all that important to me.
    oldfashionedpoundcake.jpg

And those people who claim the crust and filling make the pie -- what about cobbler? Certainly cobbler is pie enough but the crust doesn't go on the bottom, it's typically spooned on top.

In short: If cheesecake must be a cake or pie -- it's a cake. If it can be its own delicious thing it should be allowed to be.
    Check out my cooking Youtube channel: Living with Leigh
    Idontrcall wrote: »
    I put 3 tablespoons of flour in my cheesecake -- it's a cake to me. Plus I think the graham (or whatever you use) crust is not a very important part of the whole equation.

And look at pound cake ... it can look just like bread -- but it's cake. So appearance isn't all that important to me.

And those people who claim the crust and filling make the pie -- what about cobbler? Certainly cobbler is pie enough but the crust doesn't go on the bottom, it's typically spooned on top.

In short: If cheesecake must be a cake or pie -- it's a cake. If it can be its own delicious thing it should be allowed to be.

Yes, that's what I was thinking. A crust doesn't automatically make something a pie.
    🌻I'm not a cat.🌻
  • DeKayDeKay Posts: 81,577 Member
    Neither cuz the crust isn't pastry. And it's not totally a cake either unless you are talking about a cotton cheesecake. :yum:
    My Top Song of the Day: Innocence by Avril Lavigne
    832XG3D.gif
  • dreamerz13dreamerz13 Posts: 9,927 Member
    edited June 2018
    Okay but are pancakes also cake? They have cake in the name. I doubt very many people would call them cake

Cheesecake is cheesecake it's neither cake nor pie. It's it's own thing.
  • DeKayDeKay Posts: 81,577 Member
    dreamerz13 wrote: »
    Okay but are pancakes also cake? They have cake in the name. I doubt very many people would call them cake

Yeah, pancakes are not cakes.
    My Top Song of the Day: Innocence by Avril Lavigne
    832XG3D.gif
    Idontrcall wrote: »

Cheesecake needs to be its own delicious thing, I agree!
    DeKay wrote: »
    dreamerz13 wrote: »

Yeah, pancakes are not cakes.

I'm with you, pancakes are not cakes!