Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Last book you've read?

Comments

• luxsylvanluxsylvan Posts: 1,922 Member
    @Sinility I'm so glad you loved it! I need to reread it, because I just love the way it's written.

A book club has the amazing benefit of gathering people who read a bunch of different things! That must be so fun. And I'm working on the resolution. I might only get through these three books this year, but it'll be three more than last year. :sweat_smile: school really destroyed my schedule. I hope you can find The Secret Lives of Color! I'm really enjoying it, even the design of the book is beautiful. I've loved colors since I was a kid, and I saw this colorful polka dot book staring at me from across Barnes & Noble...and I knew I had to read it :D
  • GwinielGwiniel Posts: 996 Member
    Reread Jane Austen's Pride and Prejudice, Emma and Sense and Sensibility, before that reread all Harry Potters, before that read Agatha Christie's Hercule Poirot and Miss Marple series and before that read Nancy Drew children's books as I never read them as a child. I tend to have seasons when I read a lot and then phases when I don't read at all for many months or even for a full year... currently have the phase of not reading so finished the Sense and Sensibility around August last year.
  • Karababy52Karababy52 Posts: 5,952 Member
    sabby33 wrote: »
    I just finished American Vampire by Jennifer Armintroute. It was ok, different. the next book on my list is the passage by Josh cronin

I think you meant Justin Cronin, but anyway.. I've read that book and the second in the trilogy, 'The Twelve'. I haven't read the third and final book, 'The City of Mirrors' yet, but I hope to get it soon.

I haven't been reading much lately, been playing a lot of TS4! In the past I read 1-2 books a week on my Nook, paperbacks, hardcover selections given to me as gifts or chosen by me from Barnes & Noble with a gift card. I'm still slowly reading a book I found among my Mother's belongings when she passed away, 'Whistling in the Dark' by Lesley Kagen.

Reading more books again is one of my resolutions for 2019 too @luxsylvan For Christmas 2017 my daughter gifted me 'Year One: Chronicles of the One' by Nora Roberts and now book two, 'Of Blood and Bone' is out which I'd love to read. Plus Nora just announced on FB that Book 3 will be out this coming November.

If I'm not able to pick up one of the aforementioned selections soon, I'll probably read '11/22/63' by Stephen King again or perhaps I'll read those two Justin Cronin books again. It's been awhile since I read them. I love re-reading books like that. I always catch something I missed the first time. ;)
  • SinilitySinility Posts: 31 Member
    @luxsylvan I just found it on Amazon! I'm thinking of making it my choice of the month when it is my turn.

I love my book club. We are super laid back, casual and meet for lunch. . it's a whole "girls day out" thing. I would highly recommend a book club, especially if it is just a few close friends, to any one that may be interested.

I also bullet journal - one thing that I did in mine was to make a books to read / books read spread. It has helped me stay on track and motivate me to read more.
  • yvyvninayvyvnina Posts: 11 New Member
    The Hobbit.
    @Sinility that's great!! I'm so glad I was able to share the joy of colors! I really got into the topic in the past year because I took art classes like pastel and watercolor, but also paper making, which makes use of dyes.

You'd think I'd have gotten into bullet journaling by now but I haven't...I don't know much about it but my sister really enjoys it. I use an agenda book, but it might be lots of fun to try.

@Karababy52 we can do it! 2019 is our year! 😊
  • SheLuvsMusicSheLuvsMusic Posts: 7 New Member
    Beartown by Fredrik Backman. It's one of my new all time favorites!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0 New Member
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
    luxsylvan wrote: »

Yes, we can! Might take a bit before I start though. I have a couple big TS4 projects I'm currently attempting to do, plus various challenges and such. But it's on my radar and I WILL be reading consistently again. I love reading, and sometimes writing too. Mostly reading though.

It's a habit started by my Mother, she loved to read too. One of my fondest memories of her is once I learned how to read as a young child right through the years until I moved out in my late teens, sitting side by side on the couch or even at opposite ends of our living room reading books. Sometimes we didn't even talk, but it didn't matter because we were doing something together that we both loved. She would often read bedtime stories to my sister and I too before we could read ourselves.

I'm thankful and grateful to her every day for helping to instill in me the love and joy of reading books. Thanks Mom! <3 *blows kiss and thumbs up towards Heaven*

• Wagashi_MasterWagashi_Master Posts: 608 Member
    Give the Dark My Love by Beth Revis. There are three things that I love in that book:

1. alchemy (the author was influenced by Hiromu Arakawa)
    2. necromancy (I love books containing dark magic, especially if the protagonist practices it)
    3. Greggori Astor <3

The ending was a cliffhanger though, kinda reminds me of my favorite author, Rick Riordan.
    1b50d0714006f57e46f0a4530649b643.gif
  • xKay_luvxxKay_luvx Posts: 117 Member
    I was signed up for Book of the Month for a while so I got a couple of great books from it.

The last one I read probably around September or October was The Anomaly by Michael Rutger. I'm working on Spinning Silver by Naomi Novik currently. Great read so far.

"Happiness can only exist in acceptance." -George Orwell
  • thenameslynith13thenameslynith13 Posts: 55 Member
    30 Shades of Peter Parker by general_ginger. It's fanfiction from Ao3, so technically a book. I read a lot of fanfics XD
  • CheetahAlyssaCheetahAlyssa Posts: 345 Member
    I am currently reading Maximum Ride : Saving the World and Other Extreme Sports. It is actually the 3rd book in the series.
    This series is about 6 children, ages 6 - 14, who were genetically modified to be "bird-children." They each have wings, and also several other powers they discover along the way. They want to be able to live a normal life, but are forced to constantly be on the run from the whitecoats (scientists) and the Erasers (Kind of like werewolves basically). It is exciting to read about the bond between Max, Fang, Iggy, Gazzy, Nudge, and Angel; Watch them narrowly avoid death, and be caught in extremely difficult situations.
    A Part Of The Journey Is The End
    original.gif
  • TymeLaDowTymeLaDow Posts: 22 New Member
    I read the Selection series books, by Kiera Cass. I really likeed them a lot
  • SarahTheRedSarahTheRed Posts: 388 Member
    You Can't Touch My Hair by Pheobe Robinson

51UHuupjwtL.jpg
  • brittany_jeanbrittany_jean Posts: 25 Member
    Educated, for my January book club. I loved it. It was really powerful.
  • Hatchet_Face_PrideHatchet_Face_Pride Posts: 2,096 Member
    Dickens's A Tale of Two Cities. First time in awhile (since middle school actually) that I've found a book difficult to follow, plus completely boring and unenjoyable. Just my opinion though. :/
    rjsWAWi.jpg?1
  • AriaMad2AriaMad2 Posts: 1,380 Member
    I think it was “Dan and Phil Go Outside”.. Great book! 10/10 would recommend.
    F€€Ł ŦĦ€ ŴΔV€ ØF ŞØỮŇĐ, ΔŞ ƗŦ ĆŘΔŞĦ€Ş ĐØŴŇ

ĴØIŇ UŞ ĆØŇŞUΜ€ ŦĦ€ FŘUIŦ ØF ŦĦ€ ΜØŦĦ€Ř ΔŇĐ KŇØŴ P€ΔĆ€
  • CheetahAlyssaCheetahAlyssa Posts: 345 Member
    AriaMad2 wrote: »
    I think it was “Dan and Phil Go Outside”.. Great book! 10/10 would recommend.

Omg I love that book, Dan and Phil are great <3
    A Part Of The Journey Is The End
    original.gif
    Karababy52 wrote: »

Yes, we can! Might take a bit before I start though. I have a couple big TS4 projects I'm currently attempting to do, plus various challenges and such. But it's on my radar and I WILL be reading consistently again. I love reading, and sometimes writing too. Mostly reading though.

It's a habit started by my Mother, she loved to read too. One of my fondest memories of her is once I learned how to read as a young child right through the years until I moved out in my late teens, sitting side by side on the couch or even at opposite ends of our living room reading books. Sometimes we didn't even talk, but it didn't matter because we were doing something together that we both loved. She would often read bedtime stories to my sister and I too before we could read ourselves.

I'm thankful and grateful to her every day for helping to instill in me the love and joy of reading books. Thanks Mom! <3 *blows kiss and thumbs up towards Heaven*

That's so sweet ♥️ Reading is very big in my family too. I have a lot of memories of my mom sitting on the couch on Sundays reading and then "resting her eyes" -- napping. She'd fall asleep but not want to admit it for some reason 😂 haha she still does this. ♥️

My sister was a big influence on my reading too as a kid. I initially didn't want to read because it was what she did all the time, but my mom found me a series I got hooked on (the frog princess series by e.d. Baker) and my sister followed up with book suggestions she enjoyed (Percy jackson series, Harry Potter series) to sustain me 😊
  • eh_vikaeh_vika Posts: 5 New Member
    I can't even remember, because for the last 6 months I've been desperately trying to finish War and Peace and not die of boredom.
  • MrSpacemanMrSpaceman Posts: 382 Member
    "A man called Ove". Definitely worth reading. I understand why it became a best-seller. My advice.
    That's so sweet ♥️ Reading is very big in my family too. I have a lot of memories of my mom sitting on the couch on Sundays reading and then "resting her eyes" -- napping. She'd fall asleep but not want to admit it for some reason 😂 haha she still does this. ♥️

My sister was a big influence on my reading too as a kid. I initially didn't want to read because it was what she did all the time, but my mom found me a series I got hooked on (the frog princess series by e.d. Baker) and my sister followed up with book suggestions she enjoyed (Percy jackson series, Harry Potter series) to sustain me 😊

I apologize for taking so long to reply, but anyway. That's SO funny, my Mom would do the exact same thing! lol So cool your sister was into reading too. Does she still like reading books? My sister never was much for reading. Reading was something special I shared with just my Mom. :) I still remember one of the first books I read, I don't think it was the first one, but it made the biggest impression on me.

It was called 'Judy's Journey' by Lois Lenski. The story was told through the eyes of a 10 year old migrant girl who longed to stop traveling so much and settle down on a farm of her own one day. I think I loved it so much because I was around the same age as Judy and we lived on a farm. Plus, my Mom's name was Judy might've been a factor, I don't know. I've never read the Harry Potter or Percy Jackson books. I was more into the Little House on the Prairie series, Little Women, Nancy Drew, etc. Harry Potter wasn't a thing in the late 60s early 70s or I probably would've read them. lol

Thanks for sharing, I love hearing the way others have been inspired to develop a love of reading. Have a great rest of your weekend! <3
  • GeekMonkey34B21GeekMonkey34B21 Posts: 131 Member
    The Book of M by Peng Shepherd. An excellent sci-fi/dystopian novel about the power of memories. I highly recommend it.

I just started Murder on the Orient Express by Agatha Christie and I’m going to try to finally read The Lord of the Rings trilogy after that. I’ve also got Haunting of Hill House on hold at the library so I’ll read that when it gets in.
  • Computerglitch8Computerglitch8 Posts: 17 Member
    The Dazzling Heights by Katharine McGee! it was a sequel to a book i really liked, The Thousandth Floor. The book was good, but the ending was terrible and sorta destroyed any excitement i woulda had for the third book. :/