Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Is there anything that would make you move on from playing TS3?

Comments

• igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    edited June 2018
    How about if we collectively consider a 64-bit, retooled game engine and other such theoretical enhancements to be sort of a TS3.1 upgrade regardless of what its developers might call it and our flocking to such a thing, if it ever really existed, would not really constitute "moving on" from TS3 any more than changing patch levels or adding more EPs ever did? :)
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net
  • ZeeGeeZeeGee Posts: 5,356 Member
    edited June 2018
    igazor wrote: »
    How about if we collectively consider a 64-bit, retooled game engine and other such theoretical enhancements to be sort of a TS3.1 upgrade regardless of what its developers might call it and our flocking to such a thing, if it ever really existed, would not really constitute "moving on" from TS3 any more than changing patch levels or adding more EPs ever did? :)

@igazor Perfect. Can't you geniuses at NRaas do that?!

ETA to make sure my meaning was clear: Cause I think y'all walk on water and can do anything when it comes to Sims 3. :)
    Post edited by ZeeGee on
    edited June 2018
    ZeeGee wrote: »

@igazor Perfect. Can't you geniuses at NRaas do that?!
    Sure, we'll have it done and on your desk by next Tuesday.

Assuming this was not serious but it's been tried actually, with no usable results. The game's program files are not open sourced, only EA has full access to them. That we can reach by way of what can be modded is not enough to accomplish such miracles.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Sure, we'll have it done and on your desk by next Tuesday.

Assuming this was not serious but it's been tried actually, with no usable results. The game's program files are not open sourced, only EA has full access to them. That we can reach by way of what can be modded is not enough to accomplish such miracles.

I want it Friday and not a day later!!! :lol: Totally joking. I had no idea this was even a remote possibility! Now it's time to get off the internet and go read a book. Too exhausted to be on here trying to communicate today with my propensity to put my foot in my mouth. :wink:
    edited June 2018
    I want it Friday and not a day later!!! :lol: Totally joking. I had no idea this was even a remote possibility! Now it's time to get off the internet and go read a book. Too exhausted to be on here trying to communicate today with my propensity to put my foot in my mouth. :wink:
    By Friday? Sure, but we would have to cut some corners. How would you feel about a 1-bit version that doesn't include any sims? Basically you will have gnomes, furniture, and a color wheel. Maybe walls and floors if we can fit them in or those might arrive later in a patch. :p
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
  • Bettyboop55Bettyboop55 Posts: 2,646 Member
    @Bettyboop55 Sorry! My brain operates in *squirrel* mode. I've deleted the Sims 5 wishlist. :) No offense taken.

ETA: I'm not really willing to compromise either. Why would I when I have the perfect game already. :wink:

Thanks :) I'm not keen on compromise either. My initial reaction to TS4 was one of bitter disappointment so I feel owed something more to my liking next time round. I don't think I am alone in that. I should imagine there are still some TS2 players who felt the same way about TS3. I do remember an element of backlash as people objected to open worlds and even the sims themselves.
    I no longer use Origin or My Page. You can find me on YouTube or Twitter as Bettyboop711000. You are welcome to contact me as I explore options for a PC sandbox life simulation game.
    Wherever I am friends call me Betty

Sim enim est vita

Yes because I think (and am happy to be corrected) that this is the best option we can expect longer term from EA. What I would not want is a beefed up version being offered as an UC as compensation for taking the next version along the lines of TS4. That would seem like a cheat to me and I would be more inclined to stay with TS3 as is even though it is only 32 bit and can be a bugfest without mods. I would also not want to wait for until the end of TS4 for a 3.1 version to be created. We could be in for a long wait otherwise.
    I no longer use Origin or My Page. You can find me on YouTube or Twitter as Bettyboop711000. You are welcome to contact me as I explore options for a PC sandbox life simulation game.

Sim enim est vita
    By Friday? Sure, but we would have to cut some corners. How would you feel about a 1-bit version that doesn't include any sims? Basically you will have gnomes, furniture, and a color wheel. Maybe walls and floors if we can fit them in or those might arrive later in a patch. :p

You're kidding right ? No version without a tanning booth and sun tanned sims is going to tempt me away from TS3 :D:D

Sim enim est vita
  • puzzlezaddictpuzzlezaddict Posts: 1,877 Member
    I like it. We wouldn't be cheating on TS3, or trading it in for a younger, prettier ::ahem:: I mean more powerful and less glitchy version. Because I'm sure nobody here would ever even consider doing that.
    How would you feel about a 1-bit version that doesn't include any sims? Basically you will have gnomes, furniture, and a color wheel. Maybe walls and floors if we can fit them in or those might arrive later in a patch. :p
    We've long ago established that I don't have any programming skills, but I've certainly read that 32-bit is a reference to 2^32 addresses, which is still a very large number. (4,294,967,296.) (I can't help it, I had to. Sorry.) Of course naming conventions can change over time, but under this system, a 1-bit program would have... 2 addresses? So what would that game look like? If you and your nraas friends could manage to code a magical gnome into that environment, you might be actual wizards.
    edited June 2018
    I wasn't really expecting a serious (?) discussion to come of this. Was going to go as far as 2-bit, but then I probably would have been told to take my "two-bit advice" (as the expression goes), program, and gnomes and do something anatomically impossible with them. :D

On a more serious note, not entirely sure what good a tanning booth is going to be if there aren't any sims but okay. Whatever the customer wants. :p
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    I wasn't really expecting a serious (?) discussion to come of this. Was going to go as far as 2-bit, but then I probably would have been told to take my "two-bit advice" (as the expression goes), program, and gnomes and do something anatomically impossible with them. :D

On a more serious note, not entirely sure what good a tanning booth is going to be if there aren't any sims but okay. Whatever the customer wants. :p

I'm going to assume the sims will be replaced with freezer bunnies or llamas :D

Over here it is known as having your two pen'orth worth which means essentially we speak our minds. So I am inclined to think a 2 bit solution is no solution even if 32 bit is a huge number by comparison. I think I am right in saying most modern games are 64 bit so it seems only fair that any tempting upgrade of TS3 would have to reach modern standard. If we are looking at a 3.1 as a way of moving forward then we may as well start with a reasonable, attainable standard.

As for engines as you know the only thing I know about computers is how to switch them on. Off is more tricky. I am assuming that an engine overhaul is the equivalent of a sebring modified car engine. They go like stink, I know because I had one. Is such an overhaul a reasonable expectation though for the possible end result? I am thinking cost here which would ultimately be passed on the consumer and would I fear be a barrier to some leaving behind TS3. EA spent a lot of money I assume on the new engine for TS4 and they might not see it as financially viable to backtrack to a previous model to overhaul it.

Sorry that's a lot to throw at you at one go.

It is getting late here so I must sleep. Goodnight :)

Sim enim est vita
  • EarcatEarcat Posts: 461 Member
    Sims 5 would have to have CAW, and toddlers from the beginning.
  • BabyKayBabyKay Posts: 5 New Member
    > @06Bon06 said:
    > I would only stop playing Sims 3 if they announced a Sims 5 that was better than all it's predecessors.
    >
    > I own Sims 4 but it's more of a casual game for me or when i just want to have fun with the easy build mode and that stuff. I can't play it like i play Sims 3 because I miss the awesome stuff from 3. But when i play 3 I don't even care about the cool features from 4 so i want a game that is so great that i don't care about misssing features.

I agree with every part of this. Sims 3 is just so much more engaging for me. There's just so many interesting aspects compared to Sims 4. I can't even list what exactly I like about it, but it's like I get so much more interested in the town as a whole with Sims 3.
  • sassygray5sassygray5 Posts: 546 Member
    JoAnne65 wrote: »
    As for dealbreakers and Sims 4, for me so far that’s really just the behaviour of the sims. The way they don’t have a memory and are so much focusing on their emotions instead of traits and events. That for me is a bigger problem than CASt and open world, because although those definitely are highly important, it’s during actually playing the game where I feel disconnected. Even with the cute toddlers.

I could not agree with this more. I have all the 4 packs and do play it. But the emotion system takes all the uniqueness away from the Sims. Sims in 3 are all unique in subtle ways which leaves room for creativity and imagination.
    edited June 2018
    I'm going to assume the sims will be replaced with freezer bunnies or llamas :D

Over here it is known as having your two pen'orth worth which means essentially we speak our minds. So I am inclined to think a 2 bit solution is no solution even if 32 bit is a huge number by comparison. I think I am right in saying most modern games are 64 bit so it seems only fair that any tempting upgrade of TS3 would have to reach modern standard. If we are looking at a 3.1 as a way of moving forward then we may as well start with a reasonable, attainable standard.

As for engines as you know the only thing I know about computers is how to switch them on. Off is more tricky. I am assuming that an engine overhaul is the equivalent of a sebring modified car engine. They go like stink, I know because I had one. Is such an overhaul a reasonable expectation though for the possible end result? I am thinking cost here which would ultimately be passed on the consumer and would I fear be a barrier to some leaving behind TS3. EA spent a lot of money I assume on the new engine for TS4 and they might not see it as financially viable to backtrack to a previous model to overhaul it.
    The 2-bit nonsense was my attempt at a pun. Long before anyone even thought up the concept of computers, a "bit" was 12 1/2 cents. Two bits was 25 cents, also known as a quarter or quarter dollar in the US. When we say something is worth (or not worth) two bits, we re not assigning a very high quality to it. :)

There are at least two choices for a conversion from a 32-bit program/game to one that is 64-bit. One is to slap a 64-bit scaffolding around the existing game engine so that should the RAM usage ever creep above the flash point of around 3.7 GB, the game won't crash or Error12 upon trying to save. It won't play any differently or better, it will just stop crashing as often. The existing TS3 engine is not designed to take more stress than it already does, so adding more to it by design is not a great idea. The last thing we need is a game that can use 6 or 8 GB of RAM if it calls for it, but sims can't route anywhere or do anything on their own because the game engine is still overwhelmed.

The other choice is to rewrite it so that the engine can seriously take advantage of more RAM. Not rewrite it as in replace it with a different game (like TS4), but rewrite it so that it extends the functions it already has or is supposed to have. This is what I mean by overhauled or retooled and would be the preferable route to take even if doing so causes some bumps in the road along the way or introduces new 64-bit friendly bugs that the current game does not have that will later need to be worked (or modded) out. In this case, larger more heavily populated worlds and extended features of a properly working story progression, whether it be EA's or someone else's, become more viable.

It's all theoretical anyway because, as said, only EA can do either one of these two things with the game and decide whether either represents an investment worth making.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
  • IreneSwiftIreneSwift Posts: 6,247 Member
    When the 1.69 upgrade came out, I bought everything on disk that I had originally bought as downloads. That amounted to 7 EP's and 5 SP's, plus a 2009 copy of the base game. Considering how much money I have invested in the game itself, and how much I've spent on successive upgrades to make my computer work well with it, I don't think even a 64 bit version would be enough to entice me to spend even more, to get the same game. I don't have very many problems with the game anymore, and most of them are relatively minor, so for me it's actually good enough.
    edited June 2018
    @ireneswift it really does take true love and dedication as well as money to go repurchase the packs on disk. Under those circumstances anyone might be inclined to stay with what they have. Especially if you have what you need by way of the hardware and your game is only subject to minor problems. For all of us who only play TS3 then we have already made the conscious decision to stay put. My question was aimed at finding out what if anything would make people move on. In any group there will be those who are content with the status quo and there is nothing wrong with that. In fact it shows innate honesty and thought.
    For others though moving on is a natural process if the right opportunity arises. We are discussing a "theoretical" version 3.1 which might tempt some us to move on should it ever become realistic. Your input as a long standing TS3 player would be most welcome and certainly without any obligation :)

It is not one of my good days. I hope to be back later. Please feel free to carry on posting :)

Apologies for the edit it has not been a good day and auto text is taking advantage. A pity I can't 64 bit it :)
    Post edited by Bettyboop55 on

Sim enim est vita
  • cwaddellcwaddell Posts: 4,960 Member
    I love Sims 3. It is one of my favorite games. Although I take breaks from it (read "I get addicted to another game for a time") I always come back to it or balance playing it with several different games.

For the past several weeks my current addiction is Conan Exiles that I play on line with other family members and friends where we have formed a clan so we are collectively helping each there and building several "bases" as we explore the world.

Another game I play often is a strategy game, Civ IV (although it has newer versions, I like IV).

To replace Sims 3 and never play it again would take another similar game (sims or not) with improved graphics and improved gameplay (Sims 4 has neither of those) but having all the best of the Sims 3 including an open world sandbox with many ways to be creative.
  • TroyTalksTroyTalks Posts: 103 Member
    I have recently decided to start a channel on youtube primarily focusing on Sims 3 gameplay for us sims 3 lovers in 2018...one of the things I can definitely say would tempt me away from the sims 3 would be an open world in the sims 5 with less cartoony graphics and certain aspects from the sims 4 such as:
    1. the new power/weakness system for supernaturals.
    2. group holiday singing for snow day and new years
    3. an updated mixology system
    4. more entrepreneurial aspects/career options
    5. the santa NPC that breaks into people's houses on snow day
    6. the ability to expand world adventures
    7. and the ability to find hidden worlds or visit new planets
    giphy.gif
    cwaddell wrote: »
    I love Sims 3. It is one of my favorite games. Although I take breaks from it (read "I get addicted to another game for a time") I always come back to it or balance playing it with several different games.

For the past several weeks my current addiction is Conan Exiles that I play on line with other family members and friends where we have formed a clan so we are collectively helping each there and building several "bases" as we explore the world.

Another game I play often is a strategy game, Civ IV (although it has newer versions, I like IV).

To replace Sims 3 and never play it again would take another similar game (sims or not) with improved graphics and improved gameplay (Sims 4 has neither of those) but having all the best of the Sims 3 including an open world sandbox with many ways to be creative.

Thanks for this. There does seem to be a number of players who take mini breaks. Perhaps it helps keep things fresh and interesting. Just a quick question - could you be tempted away permanently if there was an upgraded 64 bit version of the game ?

Sim enim est vita
    TroyTalks wrote: »
    I have recently decided to start a channel on youtube primarily focusing on Sims 3 gameplay for us sims 3 lovers in 2018...one of the things I can definitely say would tempt me away from the sims 3 would be an open world in the sims 5 with less cartoony graphics and certain aspects from the sims 4 such as:
    1. the new power/weakness system for supernaturals.
    2. group holiday singing for snow day and new years
    3. an updated mixology system
    4. more entrepreneurial aspects/career options
    5. the santa NPC that breaks into people's houses on snow day
    6. the ability to expand world adventures
    7. and the ability to find hidden worlds or visit new planets

You may be interested in a thread for new members which might be a better place to mention your YouTube channel. Within the rules on advertising of course :)

As said it is always good to have a list ready just in case especially one with a lot of thought put into it. However in order to avoid this thread being closed or moved as speculation on TS5 we are considering the theoretical idea of a version 3.1 of the existing game. How your list would stack up under these circumstances I don't know. There is no denying TS4 has some nice features but if they had been enough of a temptation some of us would have moved on a long time ago. The other point is the art of the possible which may only include limited ability to code for new items and interactions. I'm just about to ask @igazor that question. You might want to stay around for the answer and rethink part of your list as necessary.

Good luck with your project.

Sim enim est vita

:lol: I edited that other post so the meaning was more clear.

@Bettyboop55 So you are asking if a 3.1 64 bit version would make us move on from 3? Not if other games or future series would tempt us? Probably not for me because it would undoubtably be tied to Origin. I've spent loads on computers and laptops, getting all the discs and also buying the Steam version so as to stay on 1.67 for the long term. The only thing with Steam is I don't get my Katy Perry pack. :cry: Yeah, I love it. Don't judge me.
    @igazor thank you for the explanation both of 2 bit and what a major theoretical overhaul would mean. I assume the scene in the Western where the saloon girl bites the coin is an old fashioned quaIity check of a 2 bit piece ?

I do like the sound of your preferred option even if it might mean a whole new bug fest to begin with. Seasoned playes are used to that as are seasoned modders. When you talk of rewriting what exactly would that permit the developers to do ? Would our request for more realistic sims be feasible or interactions, building tools from TS4 ? I know a straight import from TS4 is not possible because of the engines, The same question applies to more detailed, larger open worlds. Or would these new improved features be at the expense of beloved existing features such as CASt?

I hope I am not putting you too much on the spot. As we keep saying it is theoretical. It all depends on what is EA's long term policy for the game and the availability of funds should such a project be suggested.

I have my list ready though I'm trying not to prejudge anything which might theoretically be offered. And yes tanning booths are right there. I just love it when my sim uses it and comes out bright orange >:) Enough to make my day.

Sim enim est vita
    edited June 2018
    @Bettyboop55 - I guess you feel about tanning booths the same way that I do about coffee makers and bowling alleys. And bowling alleys that serve coffee, of course. :)

Again still in the realm of the theoretical, I think once we start talking about more realistic sims (this means behavior, or possibly just appearance or both?), and adding building tools, we might not be talking about TS3.1 anymore but a different game. Or maybe I am reading too much into this question.

EA of course has the ability to add whatever they can to the existing game but that would require reassembling the TS3 development team or at least putting a new team together who has the ability and is given the time to dissect everything that had been done by the original and the various teams who worked on the EPs. That we haven't seen one single in-game change since Patch 1.66 suggests that none of this might be realistic no matter how feasible it is. But from what I understand other game companies have done this, someone was here recently praising a game they loved to play that returned after ten years with a new patch suddenly.

I believe there is a market out there (I mean out here) for this theoretical TS3.1 or some other iteration that follows in the footsteps of TS3 and continues the wonderful things that it started. And when I get to run EA for myself, I will make that known to everyone else there but am afraid in the meantime they probably aren't going to listen. :/
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!

:lol: I edited that other post so the meaning was more clear.

@Bettyboop55 So you are asking if a 3.1 64 bit version would make us move on from 3? Not if other games or future series would tempt us? Probably not for me because it would undoubtably be tied to Origin. I've spent loads on computers and laptops, getting all the discs and also buying the Steam version so as to stay on 1.67 for the long term. The only thing with Steam is I don't get my Katy Perry pack. :cry: Yeah, I love it. Don't judge me.

Consider yourself judged :D:D Seriously there is some cute stuff in the pack, particularly the child's bed and curtains but some of those tops (rolls her eyes just like Mother used to do. Anything that tempts players away on a permanent basis including new versions is of interest. Just as long as we don't get bogged down with TS5. I am waiting to see if anyone comes forward and says they might go back to TS2 rather than forward. I wouldn't blame them, the babies had proper legs, there were some cute toddler interactions and a proper business pack. What we are seeing is people wanting a 64 bit version of the game. Perhaps people are wary of mentioning other games on a sims forum. I am considering one called Black Desert which apparently has quite a good CAS and I like the sound of Animal Crossing. On the whole though I do love TS3 <3

Sim enim est vita