Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Which one would you choose? (Gaming laptop decisions)

Beals684Beals684 Posts: 61 Member
Hi, I'm looking into purchasing a gaming Laptop to run Sims 3 and 4. I use to play Sims 3 all the time but when my last laptop broke a few years back I fell out of playing but now there's Sims 4 and they just released the new seasons expansion so looking to get back into playing both now.
I trying to decided between these 2 and was hoping to get some opinions. (P.s They will be mostly used for browsing/email, streaming ex.Netflix/Hulu, Sims 3/4 plus expansions, occasional fortnite)

Asus Vivobook Max
FX73VE-WH71
15.6"
Intel i7-7700HQ 2.8 GHz / Turbo 3.8 GHz
Quad Core
8GB Memory
GTX 1050ti 4GB GDDR5
1TB HDD
No SSD
Dual-Layer DVD
Weight: 4.4 Ibs.
Back-lit Keyboard Yes - Blue Print
1920 x 1080
Full HD LED-Backlit with ASUS Splendid visual optimization

OR

Dell G3
G3579-7972BLK
15.6"
Intel i7-8750H 2.2GHz / Max Turbo 4.1 GHz
6 Core
16GB Memory
GTX 1050ti 4GB GDDR5
1TB HDD
256GB SSD
No Optical Drive
Weight: 5.57 Ibs.
Back-lit Keyboard Yes - Blue Print
1920 x 1080
Full IPS Anti-glare

I know they both meet at least the recommended specs but still have other aspects I'm trying decide on.

The Dell is $85 more than the Asus, but I feel like I'm leaning towards the Dell more. Reason for Dell 1. It has the newer i7 processor, 2. It's a 6 Core, 3. 16GB memory, 4. 256GB SSD

My reasoning for the Asus, 1. It's an Asus, 2. has a Dual-Layer DVD(not a NEED for me but it would be nice because all of my Sims 3 games are on disc) 3. It's Lighter 4.4 Ibs., 4. Asus has just HDD and the Dell has a separate HDD and SSD(I have never dealt with having both so not entirely sure how it works with setting up installing games and files)

Other questions I have is with the screen types I'm not sure what the differences mean, so I don't know which one is better. Also Gaming Laptop wise which is a better brand Asus or Dell?

So Which one would you go with?

Comments

• Options
    Chimp2678Chimp2678 Posts: 4,072 Member
    Well, I was told Dell is not suitable and good for gaming by simmers here, and am not sure about Asus.
  • Options
    phoebebebe13phoebebebe13 Posts: 19,400 Member
    @Chimp2678 Yes there are better computer companies than dell. I would not recommend Dell , HP etc in a desktop. They have small cases, no room for cooling upgrades etc. . Laptop depends but there are better computers for gaming.

@Beals684 The second would be better as far as specs if your playing TS3 because it the second laptop has an SSD, You would only be able to install TS3 on the 256 gb ssd and would have to install TS4 on the HDD. Now if you use allot of CC and mods with TS3 256 gb ssd may be too small to game on. We recommend having a 500 gb ssd if you use allot of cc and mods.

Check reviews on laptops to see if they have any problems reported or heating issues before buying

What is your budget and country?
  • Options
    chesterbigbirdchesterbigbird Posts: 8,581 Member
    edited June 2018
    The i7 8750H is going to be roughly 30-40% faster then the i7 7700HQ so definitely number 2. I'm not keen on Dell but it's better then the Asus vivobook which is not a gaming laptop where as the Dell is.
    i7 6700K
    16GB hyper X fury
    MSI GTX 1080
    MSI gaming M5 mobo
    Evga 750 supernova
    Corsair hydro h110i GT
    Corsair obsidian 750D
    500GB SSD
    6TB Seagate Barracuda Pro
    LG 34" ultra wide

• Options
    Beals684Beals684 Posts: 61 Member

@phoebebebe13 Thank you for that info. I use some mods and cc, I wouldn't say alot though. Would the dell still be good to play on if I installed Sims 3 on the hdd?
    I'm in the US but these are laptops I'm able to purchase with a special purchasing company with discounts thru my work so I'm limited to just purchasing from there (they have other laptops, they're just either not up to specs enough or way to expensive even with them). Other downside is the laptop pages don't have a review section to check out and I've only been able to find close matches (one or 2 specs off usually) with reviews by searching google. I appreciate the thought of looking for some laptops for me though :smiley:

@chesterbigbird Thank you, didn't realize there is such a difference between the 2 kinds of processors and I hear that Sims 4 is very processor heavy so that would definitely be better. I've heard a bit now that Dell isn't that great for gaming laptops so that's whats been making me hesitate with that one but the specs are fairly good.

P.s Checked thru the website and didn't find any laptops with 500+GB SSD, largest was 256GB SSD.
  • Options
    phoebebebe13phoebebebe13 Posts: 19,400 Member
    edited June 2018
    @Beals684 The sims 3 loads so much quicker on ssd. You will see a big difference. You would need to go custom to get a 500 gb ssd. There are custom places in the USA where you pick out the hardware and they will build it for you. They do monthly payments. We can help customize a laptop but if you can only buy from certain places, 256 should be enough for just the sims 3 if your not a cc/mod hoarder. You can move your documents folder to your second hard drive which will give you a little more room
  • Options
    Beals684 wrote: »
    @phoebebebe13 Thank you for that info. I use some mods and cc, I wouldn't say alot though. Would the dell still be good to play on if I installed Sims 3 on the hdd?
    I'm in the US but these are laptops I'm able to purchase with a special purchasing company with discounts thru my work so I'm limited to just purchasing from there (they have other laptops, they're just either not up to specs enough or way to expensive even with them). Other downside is the laptop pages don't have a review section to check out and I've only been able to find close matches (one or 2 specs off usually) with reviews by searching google. I appreciate the thought of looking for some laptops for me though :smiley:

@chesterbigbird Thank you, didn't realize there is such a difference between the 2 kinds of processors and I hear that Sims 4 is very processor heavy so that would definitely be better. I've heard a bit now that Dell isn't that great for gaming laptops so that's whats been making me hesitate with that one but the specs are fairly good.

P.s Checked thru the website and didn't find any laptops with 500+GB SSD, largest was 256GB SSD.

Yes the new intel 8th generation is a better cpu then previous generations. 6 cores instead of 4 cores also.
    i7 6700K
    16GB hyper X fury
    MSI GTX 1080
    MSI gaming M5 mobo
    Evga 750 supernova
    Corsair hydro h110i GT
    Corsair obsidian 750D
    500GB SSD
    LG 34" ultra wide

• Options
    DeKayDeKay Posts: 81,602 Member
    I would go for the Asus if you don't need an SSD.
    My Top Song of the Day: Innocence by Avril Lavigne
    x3vZicL.gif
  • Options
    DeKay wrote: »

LOL why?
    i7 6700K
    16GB hyper X fury
    MSI GTX 1080
    MSI gaming M5 mobo
    Evga 750 supernova
    Corsair hydro h110i GT
    Corsair obsidian 750D
    500GB SSD
    LG 34" ultra wide

• Options
    DeKayDeKay Posts: 81,602 Member
    DeKay wrote: »

LOL why?

I just feel like even with a better CPU, the game is still not gonna get much of a performance difference. Well, for TS4, at least. XD But hard to say until we can actually test it out for ourselves and compare them. :sweat_smile:
    My Top Song of the Day: Innocence by Avril Lavigne
    x3vZicL.gif
  • Options
    Taylor_MTaylor_M Posts: 30 Member
    Hi,
    I own the Sims 4 on console and love the game. I am interested in investing into a new pc as my one now is very old and slow. When it comes to pc specs and requirements I hav no idea whats going on. My budget is less then 950$ and I would like a desktop. Can anyone recommend me some good computers?
    Thanks!
    P.S. I also want to buy the expansions and such and play with cc.
  • Options
    sugarfairysugarfairy Posts: 2 New Member
    I'm also looking at getting a new laptop so I can play Sims 4. I have been relegated to Sims 3 for years now and at this point I can't run it at all. I'd love to be able to run both!

I was looking at two Asus choices:

Choice 1:Asus ROG Strix GL502
    CPU: Intel Core i7 | Graphics: Nvidia GeForce GTX 1060 - 1070 | RAM: 16GB DDR4 | Screen: 15.6-inch full HD 1,920 x 1,080 IPS | Storage: 128GB - 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD

Choice 2: Asus - ROG GU501GM 15.6" Laptop - Intel Core i7 - 16GB Memory - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 - 1TB Hybrid Drive + 128GB SSD - Brushed Black

The difference in these two is in weight, and I'm sure there are some other differences but I'm too much of a newbie to figure it out. I think the Asus ROG Gu501GM has the 8th gen i7 while the other has the th gen. However, it has a slower base speed of 2.2 GHz compared to 2.8 in the GL502. I'm sure there are more differences but I'm not really sure what they are.

I really have not idea what the difference is between SSD, SSHD, HDD and all those storage options, so phoebebebe13 if you could explain further I'd appreciate that!
  • Options
    I would go with the Asus ROG GU501GM
    The 8TH gen i7 is better, it does boost to 4.10 GHz and has more cores so pay not attention to the 2.2Ghz. The GTX 1060 is plenty enough to run the games on ultra and you have the benefit of the Hybrid drive which is better then the standard HDD. Install windows on the SSD and games on the 1TB Hybrid.
    As you can see in the comparisons the cpu will offer you better FPS and overall performance over the older 7TH gen.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oz3MomPV4u8

i7 6700K
    16GB hyper X fury
    MSI GTX 1080
    MSI gaming M5 mobo
    Evga 750 supernova
    Corsair hydro h110i GT
    Corsair obsidian 750D
    500GB SSD
    LG 34" ultra wide