Friday Highlights for November 9th are here! Head over here to check them out!
November 13 - It's Patch Day for The Sims 4 on PC/MAC Patch notes here.

FreePlay will be shutting down in some regions

2...Next

Comments

  • AiviraAivira Posts: 20 Member
    Oh wow that's quite sad. I recently watched a video that compared sims freeplay and mobile, have to say I did enjoy freeplay a lot more. I assume they'll start making it go extinct in more places as well over time. Hopefully they'll reorganize the building section in the sims mobile to make it more like how freeplay was in that case :'(
  • Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 26,801 Member
    edited July 10
    Aivira wrote: »
    Oh wow that's quite sad. I recently watched a video that compared sims freeplay and mobile, have to say I did enjoy freeplay a lot more. I assume they'll start making it go extinct in more places as well over time. Hopefully they'll reorganize the building section in the sims mobile to make it more like how freeplay was in that case :'(

    Apparently the whole Sims Franchise is in jeopardy in those countries listed - not due to pregnancy but same sex relationships and new standards that went into affect July 5th in those countries. Freeplay is just the first one apparently that has thus far been mentioned to being banned.
    Post edited by Writin_Reg on

    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

    In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....

  • AmaDinovaAmaDinova Posts: 7 New Member
    WOW! I've played this game for YEARS. It was a great alternative when I didn't have a desktop or laptop that could handle the full Sims games. I'm in the US, so not affected, but I would be so disappointed if this happened here, as I've invested a TON of money in that game. So sorry for the people affected! :neutral:
  • ErpeErpe Posts: 5,905 Member
    As I wrote I think that the problem was the pregnancy update where sims now can become visibly pregnant. But the countries didn’t ban the whole game. Most likely they only banned this update which they likely didn’t like at all.

    But then EA got a problem because this would of course force EA to make all future updates work even if the pregnancy update wasn’t installed too. This would have been difficult and have cost EA quite much money too. So I think that EA just decided to not support the game anymore in the countries who hadn’t allowed EA to make the pregnancy update become available for download.

    I just still haven’t seen any messages that can tell if the countries really ban the pregnancy update such that simmers in their country couldn’t download and install it?
  • WulfsimmerWulfsimmer Posts: 4,208 Member
    Erpe wrote: »
    As I wrote I think that the problem was the pregnancy update where sims now can become visibly pregnant. But the countries didn’t ban the whole game. Most likely they only banned this update which they likely didn’t like at all.

    But then EA got a problem because this would of course force EA to make all future updates work even if the pregnancy update wasn’t installed too. This would have been difficult and have cost EA quite much money too. So I think that EA just decided to not support the game anymore in the countries who hadn’t allowed EA to make the pregnancy update become available for download.

    I just still haven’t seen any messages that can tell if the countries really ban the pregnancy update such that simmers in their country couldn’t download and install it?

    As I said before, we can play The Sims 1, 2, 3, & 4 just fine here WITHOUT any workarounds. Just install Origin and get it. Plus, the main franchise is way more revealing
    Random-gifs-random-18723411-368-312.gif

    WHAT DID YOU JUST SAY?
  • ErpeErpe Posts: 5,905 Member
    Wulfsimmer wrote: »
    Erpe wrote: »
    As I wrote I think that the problem was the pregnancy update where sims now can become visibly pregnant. But the countries didn’t ban the whole game. Most likely they only banned this update which they likely didn’t like at all.

    But then EA got a problem because this would of course force EA to make all future updates work even if the pregnancy update wasn’t installed too. This would have been difficult and have cost EA quite much money too. So I think that EA just decided to not support the game anymore in the countries who hadn’t allowed EA to make the pregnancy update become available for download.

    I just still haven’t seen any messages that can tell if the countries really ban the pregnancy update such that simmers in their country couldn’t download and install it?

    As I said before, we can play The Sims 1, 2, 3, & 4 just fine here WITHOUT any workarounds. Just install Origin and get it. Plus, the main franchise is way more revealing
    I can’t judge that for two reasons:
    1. I haven’t played Sims 3 and Sims 4 for about 3 years. Not because they are bad games though. But because I likely only would play them one to two days after each new GP or EP anyway and the packs are way too expensive for that.
    2. I haven’t had a pregnant sim yet in the Sims Freeplay either and I don’t plan to get one in the next couple of months either. The reason is that I already have the maximal 34 sims and I can’t get another baby until one of die. But the only sims who I let die are adult sims who I only play to get orbs and then I have to get another adult sim to get the next orb. So until I don’t need orbs anymore I won’t let any of my sims become pregnant.

    Sims Freeplay now has a lot of different pregnancy outfits that seem quite revealing though. So I still think that EA stopped the support in those countries because they wanted the pregnancy update removed from the game in their countries. I also don’t know how they rate TS4 though?
  • YakerRadio18YakerRadio18 Posts: 67 Member
    For some reason, i got the feeling of that there will be other regions where the game will be closed, as if a domino effect in the future...
    Origin id: Yakoro18

    Do NOT open it...
    i ́ve told you xD XfhPyLO.png
  • ErpeErpe Posts: 5,905 Member
    For some reason, i got the feeling of that there will be other regions where the game will be closed, as if a domino effect in the future...
    You aren’t the only one who got such a feeling. But to close the game down for no apparent reason in some reasons would just cost EA money - and EA cares a lot about money. So that isn’t something that EA would do. Just the sizes and the amount of recent updates show that the Sims Freeplay still is very profitable for EA. So there is no chance at all that EA will close it down very soon! :)
  • Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 26,801 Member

    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

    In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....

  • ErpeErpe Posts: 5,905 Member
    Writin_Reg wrote: »
    I found the same earlier on https://www.pinknews.co.uk/2018/06/26/the-sims-gaming-ban-same-sex-relationships-lgbt/ But I miss the documentation. The site says that the same is happening for TS4. But although it has been true all the time that this was the reason why TS4 became an adult-only game in Russia there don’t seem to have been changes in either of the games lately which gave more LGBT content in any of the games. So it would be illogical for that to be the reason now and I therefore don’t really believe that it could be the real reason. It sound more as just untrue speculation to me.
  • ErpeErpe Posts: 5,905 Member
    @Writin_Reg I have considered it a little more and actually I could imagine that the problem with the pregnancy update maybe was that it made it possible to get male sims visible pregnant too in same sex relationships. This could maybe have been the thing that those countries hated so much that they maybe banned the pregnancy update such that EA then chose not to make future updates available in the countries. At least it sounds that a likely explanation to me. But I still haven’t found anywhere where I can see the official ratings for Sims games in Asian or Muslim countries in the same way that we can see the ESRB ratings in America and the PEGI ratings in Europe. So as far as I can see we still only can guess.
  • Bellamy_PlaysBellamy_Plays Posts: 22 Member
    I feel very sorry for those in the Middle East and Eygipt :'(
  • ErpeErpe Posts: 5,905 Member
    I feel very sorry for those in the Middle East and Eygipt :'(
    I feel even more sorry for those in China because China has a much bigger population of 1.4 billion people. This is more than 4 times as many people as the population in the US and almost twice as many people as the whole population in Europe. So losing all the simmers in China is very serious for EA.

    There are more information about the reason on https://www.newsweek.com/sims-freeplay-banned-china-saudi-arabia-egypt-lgbtq-996699 But same sex relationships have been in the game for years. So this isn’t really the reason. But to make even male sims able to be visible pregnant in the pregnancy update must just have been too much for all those countries.
  • WulfsimmerWulfsimmer Posts: 4,208 Member
    Update: I can still update my app for some reason lmao
    Random-gifs-random-18723411-368-312.gif

    WHAT DID YOU JUST SAY?
  • ErpeErpe Posts: 5,905 Member
    Wulfsimmer wrote: »
    Update: I can still update my app for some reason lmao
    In which country?
  • WulfsimmerWulfsimmer Posts: 4,208 Member
    Erpe wrote: »
    Wulfsimmer wrote: »
    Update: I can still update my app for some reason lmao
    In which country?

    Egypt
    Random-gifs-random-18723411-368-312.gif

    WHAT DID YOU JUST SAY?
  • DarkSuperNinjaDarkSuperNinja Posts: 1,200 Member
    Seera1024 wrote: »
    That's true for any game no matter what you play on: console, phone, PC/Mac.

    Be it Sims 2, Sims 3, Sims 4, the MMO's you play, any phone games you play, whatever Call of Duty is your favorite, etc.

    One day the app will no longer be supported and not kept up to date with new phone OS's and you'll eventually lose your ability to play those games.

    Or the game will no longer work on any computer you own.

    Or the game will not be made playable on the next generation console.

    Only spend money on a game (be it initial purchase or in game purchase or DLC) if you think you can your money's worth out of the purchase before you lose access to it due to technology becoming obsolete or countries changing laws (which is probably what happened with regards to the Middle East and Egypt) or whatever.

    Well, that's not true at all really! It's pretty easy to get hold of obsolete technology (or technological workarounds) to play super old offline games, such as TS1 or even games like old-school Tomb Raider through DOSBox. These games still run on Windows 10 despite not being supported by the operating system whatsoever, however an online game is at the mercy of whoever's running the servers.

    Yes, an old game can get rarer to buy and harder to play, but once the switch is flicked on an online title, you've lost the ability to play that title forever, along with any extra money spent on it! This is pretty much the reason why I don't spend money on purely online-based titles unless I know it's going to be worth it!

    Windows 10 doesn't support most of my older early 2000s games, but I can still make it work. That's just not an option for pure online titles!
2...Next
Sign In or Register to comment.
Return to top