Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Got a new computer and curious about lag

I built me a new computer last year with windows 10, 16gb ram, intel i7 7700k, gtx 1080 and way too much useless rgb that I kinda regret, but.....

I kinda miss Sims 3 and while I enjoy Sims 4, I'm wanting to play around again with 3 as I miss the open world. I have all the expansions, plus about $900 worth of store DLC and worlds I had collected over the years I played. Am I still going to have to only load so much stuff or do you guys think I might can actually play this game now without constant freezing/lag after a few hours of gameplay? I'm not even looking at mods yet, except for a few NRASS ones that helped with stability in the past if it comes to that. I'm not even sure I want to waste time downloading all this if I still have to pick and choose content to have a stable playable game.

Comments

• Emily4331Emily4331 Posts: 10,850 Member
    edited June 2018
    I built my own computer that is slightly less powerful than yours and it runs TS3 like butter with all the NRAAS mods and over 10gbs of other mods. :lol: So I think yours should be fine.
  • igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    edited June 2018
    Your system will be way more than fine for TS3, the entire game, far over the top. Lag can still be caused by badly made CC or mods, those that conflict with each other, or poorly designed worlds (e.g., Isla Paradiso, Bridgeport) that are not fixed up first or worlds that somehow become overpopulated. That will happen on any system. And the game still does need to be saved (as), quit entirely, and reloaded for just about all of us on very long gaming sessions. Not sure how many hours is "a few," but the game leaks memory and after a certain point the game engine turns to water for most of us and starts acting goofy if we don't quit entirely and reload.

You will need to get that powerful graphics card frame rate capped for TS3 or else it will run wild on the game and cause all kinds of performance issues. Unlike more modern games, TS3 has no built-in fps limiter. You can ask for help here on the TS3 tech section if you need it after installing the game.

By the way sorry to be nitpicky but it's NRaas, not NRass. ;)
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net
  • AmaraStormAmaraStorm Posts: 80 Member
    Hey thanks guys! And sorry about the typo - I'm bad with the NRaas thing.

I'll give it a go then. And yeah, I usually play about 2-4 hours a day when I can find the time, and I don't mind reloading every now and then if I go longer. My rig so far is awesome with all the modern stuff, but I knew a lot of the Sims 3 issues I used to have weren't just hardware related. I will probably be in the tech forum about the frame rate if I have questions - I'm still learning a lot of this stuff as this was my first computer I actually built and didn't buy pre-built.
  • LunBeautyLunBeauty Posts: 2,734 Member
    I feel the same way about my computer. My partner built this one for me and it's the nicest computers I had. It's made for being able to game in high quality. My Sims game loads in a good five minutes as opposed to the 20 minutes with previous computers, and there is very minimal lag unless the world I'm playing in is generating new sims, but it's hardly noticeable. I can even have other stuff going on in the background like music or be watching a video on my other monitor and it doesn't affect gameplay at all.
  • Nikkei_SimmerNikkei_Simmer Posts: 9,427 Member
    @igazor, You mean that I've been spelling it (NRAAS?) wrong all this time? Too many capitals? :D
    GYZ6Ak9.png
    Always "River McIrish" ...and maybe some Bebe Hart. ~innocent expression~
  • igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    edited June 2018
    @igazor, You mean that I've been spelling it (NRAAS?) wrong all this time? Too many capitals? :D
    They are both correct.

NRaas is short for Nathaniel (or Natalie) Raas. Those were Twallan's simming characters, depending upon which saved game he was playing.

NRAAS is an acronym for Nocturnal Role-playing Action Adventure Simulation. You can spell it out each time if you like, but of course not many others will know what you are talking about.

It's the one with the double "s" that looks like it includes the posterior part of one's anatomy that is a misspelling. ;)
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net