Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Greenhouse roofs.

Does anyone know yet if the glass roofs create shadows below?

Comments

• simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,708 Member
    There were shadows in the greenhouse but I'm not sure if they were coming from the glass roof or the windows.

hUpkWOh.png
  • 06Bon0606Bon06 Posts: 11,614 Member
    There were shadows in the greenhouse but I'm not sure if they were coming from the glass roof or the windows.

hUpkWOh.png

Yeah that looks like it can be from either but the plants shadow in the light area makes me think it is probably from the windows.
  • simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,708 Member
    edited June 2018
    So if you had a totally glass enclosed structure, with glass roof, how would you distinguish between any shadows cast or reflections. I guess it depends on the texture of the roof.
  • MorriSanMorriSan Posts: 412 Member
    I'm curious to see how they dealt with the side that fits against the regular wall like with a pentroof. I hope I'm describing it the right way. Currently it automatically appears like a dry wall and can be colored but not deleted which would make complex roof structures look very strange and defeat the purpose. I am trying to rebuild the Vienna Palmhouse and if the undeletable drywall stays... I will have to scrap that ptoject because that structure is constructed with hardly any regular walls at all.

https://www.viennainside.at/wien/freizeit/urban-exploring/palmenhaus-schoenbrunn-bei-nacht/
  • spontaneousivyspontaneousivy Posts: 250 Member
    MorriSan wrote: »
    I'm curious to see how they dealt with the side that fits against the regular wall like with a pentroof. I hope I'm describing it the right way. Currently it automatically appears like a dry wall and can be colored but not deleted which would make complex roof structures look very strange and defeat the purpose. I am trying to rebuild the Vienna Palmhouse and if the undeletable drywall stays... I will have to scrap that ptoject because that structure is constructed with hardly any regular walls at all.

https://www.viennainside.at/wien/freizeit/urban-exploring/palmenhaus-schoenbrunn-bei-nacht/

Because the glass roof is simply a "recolour" of all the roof textures, the drywall will still be there.
  • MorriSanMorriSan Posts: 412 Member

Because the glass roof is simply a "recolour" of all the roof textures, the drywall will still be there.

Grrrr. I feared that it would be the case. Thank you for the answer.

Oh so no cool shadows. That sucks :(
  • Rae357Rae357 Posts: 922 Member
    edited June 2018
    On Sim Supply's video when there was lightening you could see the glass roof on the floor with the flash. Did that make sense? Took a screenshot.
    tumblr_paj9bkW3is1wy9czzo1_540.png
  • spontaneousivyspontaneousivy Posts: 250 Member
    06Bon06 wrote: »

Oh so no cool shadows. That plum :(

I'm pretty sure the roof patterns can be seen in shadows, like the above post ^.
    We did get a pretty good lighting update a while back (made everything pretty), so make sure your settings are high enough for the roof update.
    Shadows cast by glass roofs. From Sim Supply build video. Not lightning this time.
    tumblr_inline_pajev8D16C1unf9k8_540.png

I'm pretty sure the roof patterns can be seen in shadows, like the above post ^.
    We did get a pretty good lighting update a while back (made everything pretty), so make sure your settings are high enough for the roof update.

Thanks for the pictures that you all posted. I'm glad to see they will cause shadows and light.

My lighting is on ultra because I love the lighting effects to much. I'm glad the roofs do that, I would've been so disappointed if they didnt.

Thanks for the pictures that you all posted. I'm glad to see they will cause shadows and light.

My lighting is on ultra because I love the lighting effects to much. I'm glad the roofs do that, I would've been so disappointed if they didnt.

I was really worried the glass roofs wouldn't work right when we found out the glass was just a recolor(not sure what it's called?) of the roofs. So glad it works as it should with light and shadows.
  • DeKayDeKay Posts: 81,472 Member
    Yeah, I'm sure the glass roofs would work like real glass. XD I always use the glass dance floor as a 'roof' and it does cast shadows.
    My Top Song of the Day: Fancy Footwork by Chromeo
    FwDXXd5.gif
  • MissNightOwlMissNightOwl Posts: 740 Member
    DeKay wrote: »
    Yeah, I'm sure the glass roofs would work like real glass. XD I always use the glass dance floor as a 'roof' and it does cast shadows.

Really? Do you play with ultra settings? Because I've used those dance floors a couple of times, and I could swear they cast shadows...

Really? Do you play with ultra settings? Because I've used those dance floors a couple of times, and I could swear they cast shadows...

I did say they cast shadows. XD
    FwDXXd5.gif
  • MissNightOwlMissNightOwl Posts: 740 Member

Oh my, sorry about that! It was late and I guess I didn't process words correctly...

Oh my, sorry about that! It was late and I guess I didn't process words correctly...

Hah, no need to be sorry. :tongue:
    FwDXXd5.gif
  • 5782341b77vl5782341b77vl Posts: 9,149 Member
    Are they only square/rectangular shaped? Or can we make glass domes (like what was over the TITANIC grand staircase)?

Just wondering...
    ...AND WASH YOUR DING-DANG HANDS!
    Are they only square/rectangular shaped? Or can we make glass domes (like what was over the TITANIC grand staircase)?

Just wondering...

@5782341b77vl The round roofs can be made glass as well. There was one in a YouTube build.
  • Aeroprincess87Aeroprincess87 Posts: 6,414 Member
    Rae357 wrote: »

Just wondering...

@5782341b77vl The round roofs can be made glass as well. There was one in a YouTube build.

Awesome! I think the library in Windenberg is about to get an update then.