Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Things builders do that annoys you?

Comments

• Options
    ReksohReksoh Posts: 303 Member
    edited June 2018
    I've been thinking about this thread for a couple days now and I can't help but laugh. A lot of you said you don't build, can't build, or suck at building but then you have the nerve to tell us builders how we should build? Yeah, it don't work like that. We build how we build, you're free to change whatever you want for your sim but please refrain from telling builders how they should build. Either that or learn to build yourself!

No one is "telling builders how they should build". You're just missing the point of the topic and taking it personally for some reason.

This is a discussion about preferences :) If you have none to contribute then you're just derailing it. This is not a topic to attack builders and it is also not a topic to attack people who can't build. I was just curious what the most common "dealbreakers" among the community were.
  • Options
    kilra0kilra0 Posts: 644 Member
    To be honest I thought this thread gives builders constructive criticism like one said please tag with familystarter or couplestarter and all I can see is people moan about builds and builders... Best example toilet paper: we need it - vs. - too expensive I can't afford it! Yes it's a preference and not helpful for builders. What's annoying for me are people leaving disgusting comments on builds, when you don't liked it's maybe made for your neighbour. It would be lovely if simmers celebrate less hate against each others...
  • Options
    kilra0 wrote: »
    To be honest I thought this thread gives builders constructive criticism like one said please tag with familystarter or couplestarter and all I can see is people moan about builds and builders... Best example toilet paper: we need it - vs. - too expensive I can't afford it! Yes it's a preference and not helpful for builders. What's annoying for me are people leaving disgusting comments on builds, when you don't liked it's maybe made for your neighbour. It would be lovely if simmers celebrate less hate against each others...

Sorry but if you think me saying that I add toilet paper to the bathrooms is HATE, then you are too sensitive.

The thread was not necessarily created to be insightful or an eye opener for builders (although some builders have came in and said they see it that way). It's just a discussion.
  • Options
    it was an example from this thread of peoples opinion here. I usually add toilet paper to builds bc it's necessary. I don't judge you for that.
  • Options
    jhgkjhgkjhjhgkjhgkjh Posts: 256 Member
    edited June 2018
    Reksoh wrote: »

Sorry but if you think me saying that I add toilet paper to the bathrooms is HATE, then you are too sensitive.

The thread was not necessarily created to be insightful or an eye opener for builders (although some builders have came in and said they see it that way). It's just a discussion.

I do think as a builder some of the comments are really helpful, others are just about personal taste, which is quite ok.
    Sometimes the personal peeves make me cringe. White walls against no white walls, furnished against not furnished, plants versus no plants, trees versus no trees, clutter versus no clutter - these alone make it impossible to build for everyones taste and that is quite ok.
    The gallery is big and I hope everyone finds what they are looking for. Look at the buildings you like and you can always ask a builder to build your personal dream home. Most of the builders are open for requests and are happy to make someone happy.

What surprises me most, is that a lot of people seem to play with their walls down or half down. When I playtest I nhardly ever do that (apart from rooms under roofs). It looks odd to me and even if I would start playing someday I would rather like to see the walls and the decor, but that seems to be my peeve. :)

Yet there are some comments here I personally would consider as plain rude. Complaining about building is different from mentioning your pet peeves. And sometimes the choice of words make all the difference. Their is indeed a small red and I can understand that some builders feel annoyed by some of the comments here.

You can't use up creativity. The more you use, the more you have.
    Maya Angelou

Please excuse my English and feel free to correct any mistake you find. :) It is not my native language.
    Gallery ID: kjhgkjgkjhgk
  • Options
    LolaLuvsSimsLolaLuvsSims Posts: 1,828 Member
    @ListentoToppDogg Where should the litter box be placed? Most people I know with cats have theirs in the bathroom. Some have it in the kitchen( :s )
  • Options
    UnDutchableUnDutchable Posts: 41 Member
    I've been thinking about this thread for a couple days now

Um, why?
    kilra0 wrote: »
    exactly! I love to build and I took a look to see what I can improve... but really I hate that and that doesn't really help. I stoped reading at page 2.

Then why are you posting on page 7 & 8?
  • Options
    @UnDutchable ... because I can't go back in time
  • Options
    NorthDakotaGamerNorthDakotaGamer Posts: 2,559 Member
    edited June 2018
    Many of these complaints are about personal preferences. The builds on the gallery reflect the builder's preferences. There is not usually anything about builds themselves that I dislike. Most are easy to fixes and if I am downloading it just means I don't want to start from complete scratch.

The only thing I hate is the stop stealing type hastags on builds. Those immediately have me disliking a builder without even looking at any of their creations. I make a note of those origin names so I can skip over them. That hastag meaning tells me that their builds are just purely junk to me.

Personally when I build, I do it only for myself or my kids who play the game. My origin account is accessible via 3 computers, so saving to the gallery makes it easier to share between them all. I barely even pay attention to if others people download or like my builds. When I see the pop up message that some has downloaded it, I am very surprised.
  • Options
    N0NoTToN0NN0NoTToN0N Posts: 1,024 Member
    ikiamyetta wrote: »
    @ListentoToppDogg Where should the litter box be placed? Most people I know with cats have theirs in the bathroom. Some have it in the kitchen( :s )

I was wondering the same thing. That's pretty realistic. I sure wouldn't want it in the bedroom or living room. Honestly it makes the most sense, we go in the bathroom so why not cats? I would prefer that over the kitchen...food/litter box, not everyone ( or sim) keeps on top of the litter box. I know it's the sims and you can create a pet room and I do that often but just as often I like More realism.
    19172275569_bb0181ed75.jpgGingerThyme; by T Reece, on Flickr
  • Options
    N0NoTToN0NN0NoTToN0N Posts: 1,024 Member
    It would be nice if the gallery had icons similar to the modded/cc icon if MOO was used. Or a tic box in the description. Tic boxes would be nice for. Things like "playtested", "playable" and shell.

I personally enjoy many unplayable rooms. Many people design simply to express their creativity. I have often download things just to see what they look like in game with no intention of playing them...just to visually enjoy them.

My pet peeves aren't usually with how a builder builds or designs but with how they use the gallery. (not people who use it as more of a "personal" storage... I get that, that's fine. I do that too when I declutter my library)
    Sifting through the gallery to find exactly what you're looking for is tedious and what frustrates me the most is deceptive hashtags and descriptions just to get downloads. Things get missed and everyone makes mistakes but the majority of this is done on purpose. Or flooding the gallery with the same build. I usually make a note of who does that and never download their stuff.
    19172275569_bb0181ed75.jpgGingerThyme; by T Reece, on Flickr
  • Options
    tmcevoy1121tmcevoy1121 Posts: 304 Member

In real life you don't place a litter box in the kitchen where their food is. They don't like it or at least mine don't. So I always placed it in the bathroom and she likes it there.
    A girl should be two things: classy and fabulous. A girl should also always be a lady even when arguing
  • Options
    RepoRepo Posts: 344 Member
    In real life I have had cat boxes in three different places, a bathroom, the laundry room and the utility room (it housed the furnace and water heater). The laundry room and a "utility closet" (small empty closet sized space) would be good alternate spaces for a cat box.

@NorthDakotaGamer , the stopstealing hashtag doesn't bother me. As far as I'm concerned, is justified. There are creators who upload an item to the gallery only to have it re-uploaded by another user with the original creators name stripped to give the re-uploader all of the credit which is unfair to the original creator. Having said that, I intensely dislike any creation marked DoNotReupload. To me this says that anyone downloading and using that creation does so at the creators sufferance. Consider someone downloads one of these lots lots makes a few changes as things change for their sims. They then share pictures of whats going on in their game. Another player notices the house and asks if the house is on the gallery. Now the first player has to choose if they 1)name the original creator and tell the second player download the original build from them without the changes (even though the second player likes the changes) 2) request that the original creator allow the re-upload and hope they grant permission 3) ignore the creators request, put the lot up with changes for the second player with the original builder named and risk getting yelled at (and potentially harassed) by the original creator for re-uploading. Builders have the right to make the request that their creations not be re-uploaded, but I equally have the right to not download for favor them and I don't do either. (Incidentally, I'm not a fan of re-uploading to the gallery just for storage purposes - but that's an different discussion).
  • Options
    x_Always_Heart_xx_Always_Heart_x Posts: 567 Member
    Aye aye... let’s not turn this discussion into something else :sweat_smile:

We had this discussion not too long ago and it was not good.
  • Options
    NorthDakotaGamerNorthDakotaGamer Posts: 2,559 Member
    Aye aye... let’s not turn this discussion into something else :sweat_smile:

We had this discussion not too long ago and it was not good.

This topic was about things builders do that annoy us, wasn't it? Well I am only annoyed by certain hashtags some builders use. That is something the builder purposely done that I dislike.
  • Options
    RepoRepo Posts: 344 Member
    @NorthDakotaGamer , I think @x_Always_Heart_x is referring to me, and is right. I only wanted to touch on the issue of re-uploading as it applies here with the hashtag. There was a thread not that long ago about re-uploading to the gallery that got heated for various reasons, and so I will put the lid back on the proverbial can of worms and put it back on the shelf and leave it alone.
  • Options
    BeardedgeekBeardedgeek Posts: 5,520 Member
    Terra wrote: »
    My pet peeve is when a builder uses the same wall decor in multiple rooms, or even twice in the same room. Same swatch and everything.

Totally depends on house for me. A cottage? No. A 110% architect designed building? I usually use the same color and material (and equipment) in all bathrooms, for example. Also usually white or off-white walls everywhere in that case. Then I let the sims decorate as they live (A few "artsy" paintings, and the rest is awards, home made paintings, photograhps of the kids etc)-
    Origin ID: A_Bearded_Geek
  • Options
    BeardedgeekBeardedgeek Posts: 5,520 Member
    Brexoxo wrote: »
    To me, l don't really like it when people have pictures on every single empty wall in the home. Too many pictures is annoying to me. Every empty space doesn't need a picture. Sometimes being subtle is better than doing too much.

Again, it depends on the house. In some houses the empty space is a statement in itself.
    Origin ID: A_Bearded_Geek
  • Options
    ListentoToppDoggListentoToppDogg Posts: 2,103 Member
    edited June 2018

@ikiamyetta Well, most people I know with cats put the litter box in a laundry room or some other room that they don't tend to use that much every day. That's where I'd personally put one too. The idea of one being in a room I use on a frequent basis is just gross to me personally :s

But like I said, that's a minor thing for me since it's such a quick fix. Whenever I get a build where the litter box in a bathroom, I just move it to another room that the sims won't use that much or a random corner in the house.

• Options
    FinvolaFinvola Posts: 1,041 Member
    My cats' litter boxes are in the bathroom. I also know people who use utility or laundry rooms. I would never ever put a litter box in a sim's kitchen. Just the thought of it is pretty gross, lol. In homes where there isn't enough space to squeeze in a litterbox, I might put it in a hallway or even out on the porch/deck if there's one. Never in the kitchen.

And I agree with what the others said. I am trying to improve my build skills and I like looking at what others do and it gives me ideas to try out myself. I do appreciate the people who take the time to build and share their creations.

Hashtags are very helpful. Whether MOO was used, whether it's been playtested, what type of starter home it is. That kind of thing. I use a mod that gives more starting funds. Well, not at the moment because I've pulled my mods after the patch and only have a couple in. I don't mind if the starter home costs a little more than the 20-22k because I normally have that mod in.
  • Options
    CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    edited June 2018
    I want to start off by saying how appreciative I am of this community's builders. But I thought it would be cool to discuss common pet peeves we have when downloading lots off the gallery. Small things that you feel like you must "fix" or that make you scrap it and go for another lot entirely.

For me, its when the toilets dont have toilet paper next to them. I know the sims dont really use it but I get paranoid about it and must have it on the wall next to every toilet. This is something I fix in every lot i download lol. What about you guys?

Do you really know how much time it takes to decorate an entire house? And maybe they are trying to keep the price down so no one has to cheat to be able to afford a house. I know it has taken me ten hours or longer to actually decorate homes and build them and landscape etc. in all these games. Some homes have taken me days needing a break after several hours. And someone wants to complain about a toilet roll they don't even actually use? If it's multi level it can take two or three days to finish unless you can sit at a pc for fifteen hours etc. Builders don't just whip this stuff out in a few hours. Not one that is fully loaded with a sense of atmosphere. (And fake cars?) lol some things are a representation and not necessarily meant to be played or used. Builders are also modlers and build what they see. For anyone who can't build many of the lots you see on the site are actually homes, (from the outside etc.) it's extremely hard to make the interrior of a home make sense when you want to represent the outside of a real home. A window may be in the wrong place indoors but make sense outside. For all those complaining, try it, you will like it, but extremely hard at times to make things indoors make sense outside on the wall. Or real blue prints then make that outside roof fit that indoor floor plan. Then you may appreciate why a toilet roll was left off and prefer your own buildings.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • Options
    morganlydiamorganlydia Posts: 57 Member
    When I use other people's builds, I typically just use it for the exterior of the house. I'm way too picky when it comes to the way my Sim's homes are decorated. I guess my biggest pet peeve if I'm going to keep the interior the way the builder created it, I don't like when the rooms don't flow together aesthetically. I like the same color woods used throughout the house, same color scheme (whether it's light or dark), etc. I just prefer a cohesive look.
  • Options
    edited June 2018
    Cinebar wrote: »
    I want to start off by saying how appreciative I am of this community's builders. But I thought it would be cool to discuss common pet peeves we have when downloading lots off the gallery. Small things that you feel like you must "fix" or that make you scrap it and go for another lot entirely.

For me, its when the toilets dont have toilet paper next to them. I know the sims dont really use it but I get paranoid about it and must have it on the wall next to every toilet. This is something I fix in every lot i download lol. What about you guys?

Do you really know how much time it takes to decorate an entire house? And maybe they are trying to keep the price down so no one has to cheat to be able to afford a house. I know it has taken me ten hours or longer to actually decorate homes and build them and landscape etc. in all these games. Some homes have taken me days needing a break after several hours. And someone wants to complain about a toilet roll they don't even actually use? If it's multi level it can take two or three days to finish unless you can sit at a pc for fifteen hours etc. Builders don't just whip this stuff out in a few hours. Not one that is fully loaded with a sense of atmosphere. (And fake cars?) lol some things are a representation and not necessarily meant to be played or used. Builders are also modlers and build what they see. For anyone who can't build many of the lots you see on the site are actually homes, (from the outside etc.) it's extremely hard to make the interrior of a home make sense when you want to represent the outside of a real home. A window may be in the wrong place indoors but make sense outside. For all those complaining, try it, you will like it, but extremely hard at times to make things indoors make sense outside on the wall. Or real blue prints then make that outside roof fit that indoor floor plan. Then you may appreciate why a toilet roll was left off and prefer your own buildings.

@Cinebar Can you point out where I complained? I just said I add the rolls myself. Is that complaining?

@EA_Cian Could you please close this discussion? I didn't think it would offend anyone but of course in this day and age I was wrong about that. :) I didn't want to hurt anyone's feelings when I created it.
  • Options
    jhgkjhgkjhjhgkjhgkjh Posts: 256 Member
    @Reksoh

Initially I liked the thread and the idea of it. :wink:
    And to me, it was nothing what you posted, that offended me in any way.

Most of the peeves are quite funny and cute. Like the toilet paper oder who complained about a towel between the toilet and the sink? Thats rather hilarious and made me giggle.
    I have something like that in real life in my super tiny powder room downstairs, sorry... :)

Unfortunately some postings here in this thread pushed the limits a bit far for my taste and are rather rude. :(
    You can't use up creativity. The more you use, the more you have.
    Maya Angelou

Please excuse my English and feel free to correct any mistake you find. :) It is not my native language.
    Gallery ID: kjhgkjgkjhgk
  • Options
    LolaLuvsSimsLolaLuvsSims Posts: 1,828 Member
    @Reksoh I'm glad you made this thread, it was mostly enjoyable. People don't need to take everything personally. It was great to see that I'm not alone in my tastes