The latest update for The Sims 4 is now live. Click here to read the latest notes.
Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Things builders do that annoys you?

Comments

• N0NoTToN0NN0NoTToN0N Posts: 1,024 Member
    keenow wrote: »
    Oh,
    One other VERY obvious thing.

Don't. Tag (or name). Your. House. As. Starter. Unless. It's. Under. 20,000!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    (ad another gazillion exclamation marks!"

I have seen SO many "starters" that are between 21,000 and 25,000. Even a few up to 30,000.

While I totally agree with you, I think the 21,000 and 25,000 ones might be because you start with more money for the number of sims you have. 20,000 for one sim; 22,000 for two sims, etc. I think it adds up to a max potential of (34,000)? I'm pretty sure pets count, so if you had a sim and a pet, your starting money is 22,000.

It could help if the description indicates if it's a single sim starter.
    19172275569_bb0181ed75.jpgGingerThyme; by T Reece, on Flickr
  • keenowkeenow Posts: 549 Member
    @treece01 Yeah. Something like that. Or we should all find a unanimous separate tag for a multi-sim starter house because I feel like most people start with a single sim. So, keeping the "starter" tag under 20,000 is sensible. And if people are making expensive "starter" houses that don't actually sleep that many sims; that's just mean! :lol:
    I love MOO and clutter (it kinda depends on the build and household it's intended for... I don't like a lot of clutter in a modern build) though builds should be play tested and is always appreciated when both are noted. Things do get missed and you never know exactly what's going to happen when a lot is uploaded or downloaded or even just placed in a different lot and play testing minimizes that a lot.
  • FaoiltearnaFaoiltearna Posts: 767 Member
    edited June 2018
    keenow wrote: »
    @treece01 Yeah. Something like that. Or we should all find a unanimous separate tag for a multi-sim starter house because I feel like most people start with a single sim. So, keeping the "starter" tag under 20,000 is sensible. And if people are making expensive "starter" houses that don't actually sleep that many sims; that's just mean! :lol:

@keenow and @treece01 Maybe we could use 'starter', 'couplestarter', and 'familystarter'? That way we give an indication of why the pricing is not the §20,000 price one expects from a true single sim starter.
  • keenowkeenow Posts: 549 Member
    @Faoiltearna Works for me! I'll remember to tag them like that if I make any starters over 20,000 :mrgreen:
  • BrexoxoBrexoxo Posts: 228 Member
    Reksoh wrote: »
    For me, its when the toilets dont have toilet paper next to them. I know the sims dont really use it but I get paranoid about it and must have it on the wall next to every toilet. This is something I fix in every lot i download lol. What about you guys?

You are either gonna be totally okay or hate me for this, but, I did this:
    2rnzwi8.png

By accident. I swear. :lol:

UNACCEPTABLE!!!!
  • BrexoxoBrexoxo Posts: 228 Member
    To me, l don't really like it when people have pictures on every single empty wall in the home. Too many pictures is annoying to me. Every empty space doesn't need a picture. Sometimes being subtle is better than doing too much.
  • feetinstockingsfeetinstockings Posts: 4,264 Member
    Cupid wrote: »
    When people put trees, especially large ones, on top of penthouses.. I can't help but roll my eyes. Like.. why? How? Where would the roots be growing? Through your neighbor's ceiling?

This bothers me enough that I don't even download the lot, because it has me questioning the builder's integrity too much already :D

Thank you so much, I really did need that laugh today. Hugs a fellow simmer and one that doesn't like builds with no thought.

clutter, MOO, trees in front of houses, and gigantic rooms. and gigantic houses, if I cant place it on a 20 by 30 and have a good size garden I'm not interested.
    but I do put my hand up to a build without playing it first. I put a dog bed in the parents bedroom, and didn't leave enough room for dad to go around and get into bed. re uploaded I think when I realized.
    I wish they would do away with , when you down load a house and redo it, and you think you have made it better that others would like to enjoy, we should be able to out it up with our name. or the option to add our name to the designer. I mean if I remodel a house in sims, surely the house is then mine not the original designer. surely there must be a way we can do this and keep everyone happy
  • LizzychicagoLizzychicago Posts: 873 Member
    I've been thinking about this thread for a couple days now and I can't help but laugh. A lot of you said you don't build, can't build, or suck at building but then you have the nerve to tell us builders how we should build? Yeah, it don't work like that. We build how we build, you're free to change whatever you want for your sim but please refrain from telling builders how they should build. Either that or learn to build yourself!
    Check my builds and Sims out on the Gallery, username Lizzychicago!
    we all build and renovate if we download. were not telling builders how to build, just stating what annoys us. I build my own houses and community lots. but sometimes I like to down load to. But I always end up redoing something.
    another peeve I have is rooms in the roof, where I have to keep turning the camera and some places you cant place things like beds because the roof comes in there. I always delete the roof and make proper rooms or just use the bottom and have a bungalow.
    edited June 2018
    I wish they would do away with , when you down load a house and redo it, and you think you have made it better that others would like to enjoy, we should be able to out it up with our name. or the option to add our name to the designer. I mean if I remodel a house in sims, surely the house is then mine not the original designer. surely there must be a way we can do this and keep everyone happy

A remodel is completely different than a build from scratch. Most people are fine with others taking credit for the changes they make as long as the original builder gets credit for what they did as well.
    People can spend hours upon hours on a build and many develop a fan base and have websites. I think the biggest problem has been when people literally would re-upload a build without changing anything and claiming it as their own.

I haven't used the gallery in a long time but last time I checked builds were found under whoever uploaded it last and the original builder is noted as "original by" in the description. Is it no longer that way?
  • tmcevoy1121tmcevoy1121 Posts: 304 Member
    My only problem is when you get a smaller house (20 x 15) or 30 x 20 and they have 9 bedrooms and 7 bathrooms. Then you download it and it is extremely small. My problem is if it is so small I can't turn around then it gets deleted. A house that small isn't meant for that many bedrooms.
    A girl should be two things: classy and fabulous. A girl should also always be a lady even when arguing
  • tmcevoy1121tmcevoy1121 Posts: 304 Member
    ikiamyetta wrote: »
    For me is the overuse of clutter, windows being placed too low and the faux garage. I think the garage thing is my biggest peeve. Sometimes I'll just fix it and make it into something else but if the outside will be too affected by the design change I won't use the house

It would depend on the use of the house for me. I have a couple of Sims that I have made into celebrities and a garage or a parking area is needed for them but for my other family not needed so I have to weigh which sim I am looking for a house for.
    A girl should be two things: classy and fabulous. A girl should also always be a lady even when arguing
  • Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,907 Member
    edited June 2018
    MOO - it still causes errors. Especially restaurants and small houses.

ETA - I also agree with fake garages and toy cars. I never use them.
    Post edited by Writin_Reg on

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....

• miss_simlishmiss_simlish Posts: 460 Member
    I’m a builder but only in my own game (I don’t upload to the gallery) :D

I do watch a lot of builders on YouTube and Twitch and they’re capable of stunning creations but I know a lot of them don’t actually “play” the game. In my own builds, I have MOO the entire time, but I play so I’m just more aware of what will and will not be limiting.

I agree with too much clutter, though. Especially when builders over use the 9 key. I use it also, but you have to be careful where. I can’t stand when walls are half down and objects are floating because the surface they are on is no longer visable (like wall shelves).
  • x_Always_Heart_xx_Always_Heart_x Posts: 567 Member
    @Lizzychicago

No one is telling anyone how one should build... Why cant people talk without someone taking it out of context? Its really not that serious, just build how you want to :joy:
  • ListentoToppDoggListentoToppDogg Posts: 2,103 Member
    I rely on the gallery for a lot since I can't build myself, and these are among the things that bother me the most.

Small kids rooms. I get annoyed when someone makes a beautiful house/apartment and everything is spaced out and organized really well, but then they have these tiny, tiny kids rooms where it's impossible to fit any toys or activities for them.

Overlapping furniture. Sure some of those tricks where people make a table out of several rotated tables is 'cool', but the clipping just really bothers me. Sometimes it seems unnecessary as well, like I've seen people merge bookshelves together and the result honestly just looks weird to me.

MOO. It's weird that I list this because I know for a fact that my main builders use moo :D (and thankfully I haven't had much trouble with their builds), BUT, its super annoying if I want to rearrange or swap out a piece of furniture, like fixing beds, but I can't because that it could only be in that one space and I'd have to reorganize the entire room in order to fix it. :/

Litter box in bathrooms. This is really minor and I guess just nitpicky for me personally, but I hate when builders put a litter box in the bathroom. I get it if the bathroom is on the larger side they want to save space elsewhere, but it just grosses me out. :D Same with the potty in the toddler room, but at the very least I know that some people do that irl.
  • drakharisdrakharis Posts: 1,478 Member
    LaBlue0314 wrote: »
    The thing that drives me a little wonky is when I find a nice home and it has a gazillion lights in it. For some reason it plays havoc on my eyes., they don't adjust correctly to the light.

In their defense, it could be a holdover from playing Sims 3 where it seemed like we had to have a light in every conceivable spot or our Sims wouldn't be happy. I like Sims 4 because we can build with fewer lights and if there are rooms without light our Sims are OK with that.
    Playtesting - not just tabletop games and card games any more. Really that should have been playtested in Beta and not [img]just with accounting and marketing but actual players. https://i.imgur.com/t48COW6.jpg[/img]
  • drakharisdrakharis Posts: 1,478 Member
    Brexoxo wrote: »
    Reksoh wrote: »
    For me, its when the toilets dont have toilet paper next to them. I know the sims dont really use it but I get paranoid about it and must have it on the wall next to every toilet. This is something I fix in every lot i download lol. What about you guys?

You are either gonna be totally okay or hate me for this, but, I did this:
    2rnzwi8.png

By accident. I swear. :lol:

UNACCEPTABLE!!!!

The game does that a lot no fault of the builder.
    Playtesting - not just tabletop games and card games any more. Really that should have been playtested in Beta and not [img]just with accounting and marketing but actual players. https://i.imgur.com/t48COW6.jpg[/img]
  • stilljustme2stilljustme2 Posts: 25,082 Member
    Hermitgirl wrote: »
    Over use of MOO and clutter... especially with no warning labels. Also those builders that don't playtest. I'm downloading something to play not to dig through. My admiration goes in the toilet when the frustration of clean up starts.

Yeah, I agree with overuse of clutter and MOO -- don't mind a little hit but some folks do go overboard. Another is uploading a house and lot without furnishing it, so I think I've found a great deal for my middle class families only to find the place is empty, sometimes without even dividing walls.

Check out my Gallery! Origin ID: justme22
    Fun must be always -- Tomas Hertl (San Jose Sharks hockey player)
  • RepoRepo Posts: 344 Member
    @stilljustme2 , I'm the opposite, I like the empty homes because I enjoy decorating them and I feel better about downloading and furnishing a home that was put up by the creator for that purpose. I follow a player who puts up both furnished and unfurnished versions of their builds and I think that that is very kind of them to do both and give players a choice.
  • simmer4life3simmer4life3 Posts: 105 Member
    not adding laundry rooms,we all know we need it and they r in most homes but they r never in the houses in gallery
  • kilra0kilra0 Posts: 644 Member
    I've been thinking about this thread for a couple days now and I can't help but laugh. A lot of you said you don't build, can't build, or suck at building but then you have the nerve to tell us builders how we should build? Yeah, it don't work like that. We build how we build, you're free to change whatever you want for your sim but please refrain from telling builders how they should build. Either that or learn to build yourself!

exactly! I love to build and I took a look to see what I can improve... but really I hate that and that doesn't really help. I stoped reading at page 2.
    I usually use moo and playtest, others don't and I understand you on that. Only thing I can add to the quote is we are all different, we all like other things and there is already a thread where you can ask for your dreamhouse and a preferred builder.