Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Things builders do that annoys you?

Comments

• SparklyBeccaSparklyBecca Posts: 106 Member
    > @XxAirixX said:
    > The biggest thing that annoys me, especially if I download someone's house in the gallery and place it in my world, is the lay out sometimes. I often have to go in add edit things as they might of forgotten to place a door or there are some routing issues that makes it impossible for sims to go to one location to the next as something is blocking their path, etc...
    >
    > As for the question about what moo means, it means move objects on. It allows to to place objects anywhere when you are normally aren't able to.

I downloaded a lot and moved a family with five children in, four of them were babies. All the baby baskets had been put in one room. When I went to play the family the babies were starving. I was trying to get the parents to feed them but they just wouldn't do it. I was starting to panic thinking the kids were going to get taken away. Then I realised the door to the room had been put over the stairs and was completely unusable. The kids were all locked in the bedroom haha I quick shift of the door to the right and all the babies were saved :D
    I have to hold my hand up to the use of MOO, I'm sorry guys but I do it on every build. A few of my builds have folding doors, which are only possible with MOO. Sorry! But they do look amazing. Most of my building I do for myself, and if someone wants it, they can have it. But I'm not a really huge community builder.

I'm def not one for clutter though. I hate that as well. Also when stuff doesn't match and they just put it in anyway. I just placed a lot and when I went in all the curtains for all the rooms were exactly the same type and the same colour. They were even in the bathrooms!!!!! I had to replace them all, and replace the bathroom one's for blinds.

I try to just keep decorations for the odd touch here and there. To make a home look more lived in, but not over the top. I want my homes to be something I'd like to live in myself.
    > @February11 said:
    > Reksoh wrote: »
    >
    > ParmaViolet87 wrote: »
    >
    > Reksoh wrote: »
    >
    > For me, its when the toilets dont have toilet paper next to them. I know the sims dont really use it but I get paranoid about it and must have it on the wall next to every toilet. This is something I fix in every lot i download lol. What about you guys?
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > You are either gonna be totally okay or hate me for this, but, I did this:
    >
    >
    >
    > By accident. I swear. :lol:
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > Lol, i've had that happen where sometimes I just cant get it to go any lower and get frustrated with it, its soo annoying!
    >
    >
    >
    > Me too, that's the only occasion where I don't place a toilet roll; when it refuses to be placed where it belongs.

I've found putting the walls completely up usually allows you to place the toilet paper at a normal height. It can be a bit fiddly if you're trying to place it in a smaller room, sometimes you have to zoom in and just get the right angle. But it usually works.
  • x4m1r4x4m1r4 Posts: 3,901 Member
    I'm not entirely sure if there's anything that will annoy me, except, for most of the Lots that I wanted to download, I don't own the packs or the CC (I don't play with any CC). I, myself has started building. Sometimes, I just need a time off from playing with my Sims, for a a few reasons.. Lag, bugs, waiting for new update (just because, I don't want my Sims to miss it before they die/grew up). :#

I do respect the builders because, it is not easy to build and have the inspiration and started to build on an empty Lot, I know, because I tried. I learn a lot when I build, than when I play, it's up to individual gameplay, unlike building stuffs.

I think MOO is an interesting cheat for building, because it will be weird to have spaces, especially for clutters... But I do agree, the Lots need to be tested for the routing purposes..

And, if we don't like the furnished Lot, but like the exterior, we can always move in our Sims with the unfurnished option. Customise it based on our own preferences. :)
    OID:- x4m1r4
  • EIisabettaEIisabetta Posts: 5,708 Member
    This has probably been mentioned but calling lots 'starter lots' and they cost well over 20k simoleons. I've seen starter homes in the hundreds of thousands. Come on, that's not a Sims starter home price! LOL

I don't mind the use of MOO, only when they don't warn you that you need it turned on.
    moxiegraphix on Origin
  • stilljustme2stilljustme2 Posts: 25,082 Member
    EIisabetta wrote: »
    This has probably been mentioned but calling lots 'starter lots' and they cost well over 20k simoleons. I've seen starter homes in the hundreds of thousands. Come on, that's not a Sims starter home price! LOL

I don't mind the use of MOO, only when they don't warn you that you need it turned on.

When I'm furnishing a house, I'm pretty minimalist when it comes to decor -- first priority is bathroom, then bedroom, then kitchen/dining, then living room. I'll start out with the cheapest stuff, then if I have money left I'll change out the items for something a little better in comfort or quality.
    Check out my Gallery! Origin ID: justme22
    Fun must be always -- Tomas Hertl (San Jose Sharks hockey player)
  • TheGoodOldGamerTheGoodOldGamer Posts: 3,559 Member
    Just saw James (TheSimSupply) building a kitchen. In the middle of it, he placed down a table, going on to say it provides space like an island counter would, only taking up less floor space (not really, technically, but it looks that way viewing it). Anyways, after saying this, he proceeds to fill up the table with plants that he MOO'd up there. Thus, taking away almost any usable space! lol

Not to mention, he shoved a bunch of clutter under the table as well, taking up the same space as an island counter would have to begin with, only with more objects involved. I'm like...

WHY?!
    Live, laugh and love. Life's too short not to.
  • samsimssamsims Posts: 56 Member
    I love to create houses, this is very insightful for me. @123and4Sims
    Have a Bless day. Hugs and hugs
  • honeybrainedhoneybrained Posts: 20 Member
    i rarely download builds from the gallery since i really enjoy building my own. i do watch a lot of youtubers and streamers tho so i have a list of small things that probably only annoy me.

-different flooring in every room. obviously adding tiles to bathrooms and kitchen are fine but i /hate/ when people use different woods or different patterns of carpet in every room. its really unrealistic and just looks bad imo.
    -using the menorah or other hanukkah/kwanza/diwali items as just "quirky" decorations. i see so many people use the dreidel garland as just random boho decor n idk it looks so dumb and ignorant to me especially since you never see people doing that with the christmas exclusive decorations.
    -when the roofs have an indent if that makes sense??? like putting 2 roofs side by side so that only their eaves touch. this looks bad imo and although i know its impossible in the sims i get so scared that snow or leaves or rain is gonna get stuck between them and collapse the whole roof lol.
  • julienrob2004julienrob2004 Posts: 4,172 Member
    My pet peeves
    A house that has a bookcase and tv in every room
    the over use of green
    homes that are dark and dismal inside
    room and furniture colours so badly mismatched and clashing it makes you want to scream

but my biggest complaint is to EA , not being able to match furniture sets and colours up , ie a sofa and an easychair
  • joelygirlsims2joelygirlsims2 Posts: 48 Member
    Same here! I avoid houses with too much clutter and will only download IF I like the house enough.
    hyrulerose wrote: »
    This is a personal pet peeve, I'm sure many might like it, but it seems like a popular thing to go overboard with the clutter. I get that it can feel more realistic to have your sims' house not look totally pristine and tidy, but imo that does not mean having to fill every little area and surface with something. Oftentimes when I download a lot, I go through it and delete like 50% of the decorations.

• jcp011c2jcp011c2 Posts: 10,860 Member
    edited October 2018
    I’m glad I’m reading this thread! As someone who just recently started building, as of a couple of months ago, this will be a helpful what to do and more importantly what NOT to do. Granted my build skill level is low so my designs are mostly simple. But just in reading this I’m realizing something I’ve forgotten in EVERY house... trash cans! *facepalm*. (Always something, in sims 3 it was lighting.)

Question: how important is outside landscaping to you? I am okay on putting plants inside but I struggle with what to do on the outside with plants and trees and flowers so I tend to just put very little to nothing. (not counting parks of course)
    It's kind of sad that I have to point out that anything I say is only just my opinion and may be a different one from someone else.
  • KolbyKolby Posts: 1,126 Member
    Reksoh wrote: »
    another one is when people use a good chunk of the lot to make a garage or a driveway and then stuff one or two of those giant oversized toy cars in it. It just feels like such a waste of space to me and the cars look horrible sized up like that.

This!! I hate the phoney garages/driveways/big ugly cars. Ruins perfectly good houses!
  • stilljustme2stilljustme2 Posts: 25,082 Member
    Kolby wrote: »
    Reksoh wrote: »
    another one is when people use a good chunk of the lot to make a garage or a driveway and then stuff one or two of those giant oversized toy cars in it. It just feels like such a waste of space to me and the cars look horrible sized up like that.

This!! I hate the phoney garages/driveways/big ugly cars. Ruins perfectly good houses!

I don't mind the garages if they're empty -- they're useful as workshops (with the woodcarving station) or exercise spaces (stick a treadmill or punching bag in there) and the exterior makes a good place for a basketball hoop.
    Check out my Gallery! Origin ID: justme22
    Fun must be always -- Tomas Hertl (San Jose Sharks hockey player)
  • TheGoodOldGamerTheGoodOldGamer Posts: 3,559 Member
    It'll be interesting to see how this thread goes after terrain tools are released, lol.
    Live, laugh and love. Life's too short not to.
  • HermitgirlHermitgirl Posts: 8,825 Member
    I think Kate kinda hates it when someone starts building behind her back nonchalantly :D
    That was funny :).
    egTcBMc.png
  • JC1979JC1979 Posts: 491 Member
    edited October 2018
    Noting people’s “build” grievances....I use MOO because I despise how space is not realistically used, it erks me when an ottoman is two feet away from a bed or small cabinet is too far away from the others, but I also test my lots when I’m done and tag MOO use.
    Post edited by JC1979 on
    > @julienrob2004 said:
    > My pet peeves
    > A house that has a bookcase and tv in every room
    > the over use of green
    > homes that are dark and dismal inside
    > room and furniture colours so badly mismatched and clashing it makes you want to scream
    >
    > but my biggest complaint is to EA , not being able to match furniture sets and colours up , ie a sofa and an easychair

Yes, the mismatching annoys me too. Curtains are one that I find really annoying. So many horrible overly fancy curtains with awful patterns and colours that don't seem to go with anything.

I also dislike the lack of decent wall coverings. The wallpapers are generally all awful. I tend to just use the plain paint colours but I would love to see some more decent modern patterns. It would be great to do a feature wall with some really interesting wallpapers.
  • calaprfycalaprfy Posts: 3,927 Member
    Builders, just keep things simple. I currently have just one lot in my game that's made by a fellow simmer because finding a satisfactory build is so difficult for me.
  • mustenimusteni Posts: 5,404 Member
    edited October 2018
    jcp011c2 wrote: »
    I’m glad I’m reading this thread! As someone who just recently started building, as of a couple of months ago, this will be a helpful what to do and more importantly what NOT to do. Granted my build skill level is low so my designs are mostly simple. But just in reading this I’m realizing something I’ve forgotten in EVERY house... trash cans! *facepalm*. (Always something, in sims 3 it was lighting.)

Question: how important is outside landscaping to you? I am okay on putting plants inside but I struggle with what to do on the outside with plants and trees and flowers so I tend to just put very little to nothing. (not counting parks of course)

I'm so embarrased to say that I have forgotten the trash can several times! Even if I playtest, the need for it may not come up. That's because it can take several days until you need one...

Outdoor landscaping is the tricky bit for me as well. Personally I don't think there needs to be a lot to begin with (same with clutter), so the family can really make house their own as they live in it.
  • ChazzzyChazzzy Posts: 7,166 Member
    edited October 2018
    MOO the house to death
    Scale objects to death
    Making fake garages
    Putting a tissue roll next to every toilet
    Incorrectly list the number of bedrooms/bathrooms
    Place mismatch dining chairs
    Fully decorate the first floor but totally neglect the second floor
    Clutter up kitchen countertops
    jcp011c2 wrote: »

I'm so embarrased to say that I have forgotten the trash can several times! Even if I playtest, the need for it may not come up. That's because it can take several days until you need one...

Outdoor landscaping is the tricky bit for me as well. Personally I don't think there needs to be a lot to begin with (same with clutter), so the family can really make house their own as they live in it.

I made a house once at the beginning of my building in TS4 (it's actually up in the gallery to download) that I didn't realise till I'd uploaded it that for some reason the mailbox is positioned in the living room. I didn't put it there, so I'm not sure how it ended up there. Whoops! :D I may have to re-upload it and sort that out, it's a really cute little house apart from that haha
  • MDianaSimsMDianaSims Posts: 4,175 Member
    @SparklyBecca If you place a residential lot that has no mailbox, the game will (randomly) place a mailbox on the lot. Usually it's somewhere near the front edge of the lot, but if there is no space there it can end up in a weird place.

As for the forgetting to add trash cans, I'm guilty of that. I have on several occasions taken a build off the Gallery just to fix it - I usually realise it like two minutes after uploading, but still, it's annoying. Especially when you're on a (20K) starter budget and need to sell something to buy the trashcan.
    Gallery ID: MDianaSims | Simblr
  • tmcevoy1121tmcevoy1121 Posts: 304 Member
    Ona_Simmer wrote: »
    1. When stuff are too spaced out, It looks weird
    2. When they don't change the lights to white so the preview looks bad
    3. When they show the preview at nighttime
    4. When it's too cluttered
    5. When literally everything in the house/room is cc
    6. When they add too many extra rooms

Most of that doesn't bother me since 90% of the time I will download undecorated. I am a great decorator but a horrible builder (lol). I like extra rooms but what I don't like is tiny tiny rooms.
    A girl should be two things: classy and fabulous. A girl should also always be a lady even when arguing
  • OneAdorkableGirlOneAdorkableGirl Posts: 2,379 Member
    edited October 2018
    I feel like I shouldnt make a comment because I am so plum grateful for each and everyone of you that can build houses because I know its a lot of hard work and hours that everyone of you put into. And I cant build for plum.

So I cant say this is something that I hate, just more of a question for builders and curiosity.

But my question is. Do you prefer to build one stories, or two stories and What are your thoughts on building single story houses for families why do you prefer two story over one story, (im sure it's obviously to add more rooms for upstairs, because maybe you cant fit everything on the first floor.. but this is more for lot sizes of 40x30 which are my favorite to use)

if you do prefer two story houses to build, why? Is it because you like playing two stories more, or you cant fit everything in a one story (because maybe it looks too cluttered, that's what I'm thinking and that's okay, I'm just really wanting to get opinions about how others build and their preferences) ? :smile:

Dont get me wrong, those two story houses I see all the time are gorgeous. But I would love more houses that are single story with 4-8 rooms, nice landscaping (sorry, was on my phone when I was typing this, but nice landscaping, doesn't have to be a crazy amount, I just mean maybe some nice shrubbery, a walk way, and then some light flowers/shrubs in the back), a backyard with a pool, or area for barbecuing and things for the kids to do. Plus, spacious big rooms for get togethers, especially now with holidays and season activities.

Because, for me, I have a hard time playing two story houses, because of angles and stuff...

I love big spacious rooms so I can take pictures instead if running into walls, while trying to take a cute picture of something my sim did.

Maybe I am not searching good enough, but hopefully we can get some more filters and options for houses on the gallery, because I'd love to filter the houses or venues down to one story. I'd download so many houses then.

So most of the time I do have to just make my own and I've only made one house that I really loved but... my landscaping skills are garbo too. But I was very proud of myself for finally creating a house that wasnt the same layout and box house as all my previous ones before, lol.

However, I will say this. I dislike TREES. D: I don't know why. But they're so big and bulky and every time I download a house, I end up deleting all the trees, because almost every angle....... there's a tree blocking something and they clip into the walls and such. I wouldn't mind a few small tiny trees out front / back away from the house, but those big trees... they gotta go. :(
    Post edited by OneAdorkableGirl on