Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Things builders do that annoys you?

Comments

• NkingNking Posts: 29 Member
    > @XxAirixX said:
    > The biggest thing that annoys me, especially if I download someone's house in the gallery and place it in my world, is the lay out sometimes. I often have to go in add edit things as they might of forgotten to place a door or there are some routing issues that makes it impossible for sims to go to one location to the next as something is blocking their path, etc...
    >
    > As for the question about what moo means, it means move objects on. It allows to to place objects anywhere when you are normally aren't able to.

Have found this often, like a house but on the inside its a bit squished up and have to redesign the inside walls....very carefully.
    Sims 4 build is so different to sims 3, I don't have Sims 3 installed right now, have soooo much fun with sims 4, but going to have a serious laugh when I try to build in Sims 3 like on Sims 4. haha.
    > @Brindleton said:
    > - Overusage of MOO. I've seen 20x15 houses that cost $80,000 because of clutter items. :|
    > - Putting Windows and cabinets way roo high. Sims don't use them but seeing a cabinet attached to the roof of the highest wall setting is ridiculous.

Okay, this made me laugh, I like using MOO, but thats just going to far. So funny.
    > @Reksoh said:
    > another one is when people use a good chunk of the lot to make a garage or a driveway and then stuff one or two of those giant oversized toy cars in it. It just feels like such a waste of space to me and the cars look horrible sized up like that.

Even worse when your sim comes home and picks up that huge car and puts it back in the toy box... saw a video of this on fb. seriously laughing situation.
  • 3KNPen3KNPen Posts: 2,825 Member
    edited July 2018
    Houses that are in the 20k Starter home category on the gallery with fully landscaped yards or top of the line appliances or lots of art work but missing things like doors or stairs....

Unfurnished houses that aren’t labeled such in the title/description. It would make the times I am looking for something furnished easier and save me time when I’m not looking for unfurnished if it was labeled thusly.

Upsized Fake/Toy cars used as deco.
    ~ ~ ~
    > @Cupid said:
    > When people put trees, especially large ones, on top of penthouses.. I can't help but roll my eyes. Like.. why? How? Where would the roots be growing? Through your neighbor's ceiling?
    >
    > This bothers me enough that I don't even download the lot, because it has me questioning the builder's integrity too much already :D

My husbands an architect, I think this would drive him nuts.
    > @BabySquare said:
    > kemisz wrote: »
    >
    > feetinstockings wrote: »
    >
    > simmer4life3 wrote: »
    >
    > not adding laundry rooms,we all know we need it and they r in most homes but they r never in the houses in gallery
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > very few houses IRL in England have laundry rooms, only the rich and very large houses. most have their washing machine and dryer in the kitchen. or maybe a small shed. attached to the house. in sims I put mine in the kitchen. you don't need a whole room for a washing machine.
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > How odd! In Australia I have never actually been in a house that didn't have a separate laundry room. I need my space to do my laundry! If I can't spread my folding over a three square feet of room, is it even worth doing?!
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > UK here. Our washing machine's in the kitchen. I dry and fold my laundry in my bedroom.

I place mine in my kitchen and laundry baskets in or near each room... only a house with a butler and 12 rooms needs its own laundry room.
  • djacquelynstewdjacquelynstew Posts: 641 Member
    Great topic. I see both sides of the debated/opinioned posts. Some of it is seriously legit, some is just plain funny, some is like...really, are you that annoyed because there is no toilet paper? (don't hate me, just an example, I promise I'm not picking fights)

I can say after reading the posts, I may be guilty of a few or more of the items, definitely. I am sure many of us as builders are. Why? Because we are mostly building with the first thought in mind, "the home we want to place our particular sim/sims family in or the particular community lot we ideally want our sim to use" generally the desire to share is the afterthought of the process. The main thing to remember is that people take the time to build, and more importantly are generous enough to share, so being a simmer myself that does not always have the time/talent to build a particular lot or a home, I am EXTREMELY APPRECIATIVE that I can readily find a build. There are often times that I see a sweet designed exterior but the interior would be too much of a hassle to play it the way it is built. Sometimes its easy fixes and I just redesign to my specifications. Not always though, for this reason I have learned to do some responsible building myself ;) rather than depend on the community to build my sims worlds.

The key point is, let's be a little kinder to them that build (me included), they aren't getting paid, and they really are building "WHAT THEY WANT" in their game and not your game, however hard of a concept this is to digest. just sayin!

Thank You to the builders. Lord knows, You have come in handy a many a time for me. Just sayin B)
  • caitzelcaitzel Posts: 48 Member
    Overusing moveobjects, clutter and having a "theme" to the whole house, seemingly. Like there's green in every room. I just don't like it.

And also when they use certain lights, I really only like neutral coloured lighting, so when they use the ugly yellow lighting, I hate it lol. But that's me just being picky.
  • BeardedgeekBeardedgeek Posts: 5,520 Member
    edited July 2018
    Here is an in game example I found out yesterday:
    The nightclub LilSimsie has in her new save in Forgotten Hollow, called Haunted something (it's an american barn with Halloween decorations and a pickup truck) has a glaring GLARING fault:

Apart from not being to taste (I personally think it sticks out like a sore thumb among the gothic buildings, it should be in Brindleton Bay instead) there is so much CLUTTER that the DJ booth is inaccessible. Basically I didn't notice because the first time I went to that club, the DJ was already there, playing.
    When I went there yesterday, the DJ spawned with my group arriving, and could not squeeze in behind the table to play. My DJ sim could not access it either for the same reason.

Again, PLAYTEST before upload. I have replaced it with a gothic crypt nightclub instead.
    Origin ID: A_Bearded_Geek
  • CommaSpliceCommaSplice Posts: 171 Member
    edited July 2018
    I do both game play and building, and while I do playtest 95% of my builds, I wanted to say a couple of things:
    • Sometimes my builds are uploaded for challenges, often for competitive build challenges. They are often for simmers who do not do game play, but maybe who love clutter or who have certain specifications that need to be followed.
    • Before I knew about MOO, my houses were terrible. You need MOO to do practically anything. You want to put a flower next to another flower so that it looks even halfway normal? You need MOO.
    • I’ll keep in mind overuse of the size down/size up cheat, but a lot of times I’m trying to create something that doesn’t exist in gameplay, specifically for the look and probably for a build challenge.
    • I saw some posts about overlit rooms. For me, that’s either because I had a lot of lighting so I could see what I was doing and/or so that the thumbnails look okay.
    • I recognize some things I do are not going to be to everyone's taste. I like certain colors. I like certain items. I have preferred aesthetic styles. Most of my legit starters are going to have toilet paper for instance.
    • Lastly, while I’ve been experimenting with limiting the # of packs I use, well, sometimes I forget.
    But this thread has been enlightening and is a good reminder for future builds I create.

• Emma_Smith101Emma_Smith101 Posts: 453 Member
    This is quite a useful thread for builders such as I, thank you for making this as next time I'm about to share a build to the gallery I'll be sure to check that I've done the majority of these things.
    However please bare in mind that all builds I create are for fun to make them or personal use of my sims or their family / friends so therefore meaning that they're not the perfect 'gallery friendly' builds.
    I share my builds and Sims' stories sometimes at: https://simplicityplaysss.tumblr.com/
  • JojoMOMSTERJojoMOMSTER Posts: 1,965 Member
    @Anthonydyer I have not decorated and re-uploaded anybody else’s house is probably because I have a whole Inventory of my own houses and I tend to redecorate those all the time. I do not re-upload each decoration iteration unless they turn out really well. I would put a note on the original creators wall and mention you would like to reupload their house and see what they say . I would always #TheOriginalCreatorAndThankThemForAllowingMeToRepostTheirWork
  • JojoMOMSTERJojoMOMSTER Posts: 1,965 Member
    @elelunicy that is a technique for sharing an apartment. You can bulldoze an apartment and then drop one of those rooms for an instant furnished apartment built in that space it’s easier than trying to puzzle together the layout the builder used.
  • elelunicyelelunicy Posts: 2,004 Member
    @elelunicy that is a technique for sharing an apartment. You can bulldoze an apartment and then drop one of those rooms for an instant furnished apartment built in that space it’s easier than trying to puzzle together the layout the builder used.

That’s the opposite of what I said. Sharing apartments involve deleting certain walls so that the game would consider multiple rooms as a single room. What I dislike is what looks like a single room is considered as multiple rooms by the game.
    qidpmcvgek8y.png
  • barraakenobarraakeno Posts: 489 Member
    elelunicy wrote: »

That’s the opposite of what I said. Sharing apartments involve deleting certain walls so that the game would consider multiple rooms as a single room. What I dislike is what looks like a single room is considered as multiple rooms by the game.

That's really annoying.
    Brazilian guy here, so my English is not that good.

fB7mWIn.gif
    Spinning toilets confurm3d!!!!11!!1!1!!!!11!
  • x_Always_Heart_xx_Always_Heart_x Posts: 567 Member
    @elelunicy never understood that, the fact that apartments can’t be shared like houses can...

YhhV.gif
  • marcel21marcel21 Posts: 12,341 Member
    This is a personal pet peeve, I'm sure many might like it, but it seems like a popular thing to go overboard with the clutter. I get that it can feel more realistic to have your sims' house not look totally pristine and tidy, but imo that does not mean having to fill every little area and surface with something. Oftentimes when I download a lot, I go through it and delete like 50% of the decorati

This is a personal pet peeve, I'm sure many might like it, but it seems like a popular thing to go overboard with the clutter. I get that it can feel more realistic to have your sims' house not look totally pristine and tidy, but imo that does not mean having to fill every little area and surface with something. Oftentimes when I download a lot, I go through it and delete like 50% of the decorations.

one thing to remember with some builders. they are not necessarily building it for others. of course not everybody will like it. how they style it is his/her style.
    I would recommend asking for screenshots.
    Origin ID MichaelUKingdon

Annie2008 wrote: »
    Sigzy05 wrote: »
    Using moo for everything.

I get that TS4 doesn't have a lot of stuff and people have to get creative but most of the time people make objects unplayable with this.

Sorry but what is 'Moo'? Miscellaneous objects?

bb.moveobjects

Oh yeah I hate this too. It's good for machinima and the like, but it can break a game. Yeah, no thanks.

Some people mentioned clutter. I'm only annoyed by it if it bumps the price of a lot TOO much. As someone who rarely uses cheats I sometimes have to go around selling piles of books and letter piles so my Sims can afford it. It can look good and realistic, there needs to be a good balance.

I would ask the builder for screenshots. that way you can see for yourself before you download. a lot of people seem to love lots with lots of clutter MOO ect ect...

• tmcevoy1121tmcevoy1121 Posts: 304 Member
    edited July 2018
    BabySquare wrote: »
    I think the answer to the clutter issue is a realistic amount of clutter; my kitchen has paper towels, spatulas, sauce bottles and maybe a fruit bowl, but also lots of free work space.

It is worth remembering that if you like the house but not how it's been decorated you can always place the lot unfurnished.

This is actually what I do. I am a horrible builder but an awesome decorator (so my boyfriend says lol) so I look for a style that fits the particular sims. Some of my sims are from another game so they already have a backstory that I will try to work into Sims, i.e. I have just made 2 new sims but their characters were made from SWTOR and they are very darkside sith, so had to work that out where it fit Sims. I will first download to see how it is layout and what size rooms and then I redownload it unfurnished and put my own ideas in it. I have also redesigned the sims (npc) that are already there as I am not a fan of the houses they have there. (Personal opinion)
    A girl should be two things: classy and fabulous. A girl should also always be a lady even when arguing
  • simsinmysleepsimsinmysleep Posts: 651 Member

I really do wish we could use image changers to replace the game-generated pics with our own screenshots without getting our lots moved to the 'custom content' category where very few people would ever even see it. People would be able to see a lot better what they would actually be getting if they download. I know I sound like a broken record about this... I think half the comments I've made here at the forums have been about image changing, and I'm only exaggerating a little, lol.

KGLsNuM.jpg
    edited July 2018
    PapayaSky wrote: »
    So. Many. Lights! Multiple on the ceiling, every table, on the floors, all over the walls! I know money will soon grow from trees, but some otherwise awesome builders take it too far.

to be honest I don't use too many lights but the lighting is so poor indoors for this game to the point where I am forced to use mods to improve it. saying that. depending on the size of a room i do use a total
    2 ceiling lamps
    2 table tamps
    1 floor lamp
    2 wall lamps

in say a medium sized lounge with a fireplace.

you need just as much windows to otherwise its dark indoors

• Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,907 Member
    Or download it - check it out and if you don't like it - delete it. That's what I do.

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....

Reksoh wrote: »
    Reksoh wrote: »
    For me, its when the toilets dont have toilet paper next to them. I know the sims dont really use it but I get paranoid about it and must have it on the wall next to every toilet. This is something I fix in every lot i download lol. What about you guys?

You are either gonna be totally okay or hate me for this, but, I did this:
    2rnzwi8.png

By accident. I swear. :lol:

Lol, i've had that happen where sometimes I just cant get it to go any lower and get frustrated with it, its soo annoying!

When I go to place this item, this is the height it places once I put it against the wall.

• Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,907 Member
    Maybe place the toilet after you place the toilet paper, but I would guess it is the window or the shade for the window giving you the issue - so you might need to remove those as well. Some windows do that if placed first.

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....