March 29th - It's time for our Friday Highlights! You can check them out here!
Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Things builders do that annoys you?

Comments

• safersavioursafersaviour Posts: 507 Member
    Most of my pet peeves have already been mentioned. I'm not a fan of cars and garages in builds. I will always delete a sized up car. Laundry rooms seem unecessary in smaller houses.

The one that might get me a bit of flak is, well, Americana.

Specifically, mid-century modern. There's something about the mid-century modern aesthetic that is incredibly depressing. It makes me think of nuclear fallout. It's barren, cookie-cutter, 'functional' to the point of blandness. I've actually put a couple of these houses in my game specifically because they make me think of oppression and when I'm feeling like playing mean sims... well...
  • BabySquareBabySquare Posts: 7,869 Member
    I think the answer to the clutter issue is a realistic amount of clutter; my kitchen has paper towels, spatulas, sauce bottles and maybe a fruit bowl, but also lots of free work space.

It is worth remembering that if you like the house but not how it's been decorated you can always place the lot unfurnished.
    Gallery ID: babysquare
    kemisz wrote: »
    not adding laundry rooms,we all know we need it and they r in most homes but they r never in the houses in gallery

very few houses IRL in England have laundry rooms, only the rich and very large houses. most have their washing machine and dryer in the kitchen. or maybe a small shed. attached to the house. in sims I put mine in the kitchen. you don't need a whole room for a washing machine.

How odd! In Australia I have never actually been in a house that didn't have a separate laundry room. I need my space to do my laundry! If I can't spread my folding over a three square feet of room, is it even worth doing?!

UK here. Our washing machine's in the kitchen. I dry and fold my laundry in my bedroom.
  • LouciferLoucifer Posts: 199 Member
    Love the creativity of all but if you use bb.moveobjects and put footprints on top of useable objects Sims can not use them ie cabinet and fridge hate this when I download a lot and try to use half the stuff sims wave arms lol at least say u used the cheat
    When the government fears the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny
    Thomas Jefferson (3rd US President)
  • jhgkjhgkjhjhgkjhgkjh Posts: 256 Member
    BabySquare wrote: »
    kemisz wrote: »
    not adding laundry rooms,we all know we need it and they r in most homes but they r never in the houses in gallery

very few houses IRL in England have laundry rooms, only the rich and very large houses. most have their washing machine and dryer in the kitchen. or maybe a small shed. attached to the house. in sims I put mine in the kitchen. you don't need a whole room for a washing machine.

How odd! In Australia I have never actually been in a house that didn't have a separate laundry room. I need my space to do my laundry! If I can't spread my folding over a three square feet of room, is it even worth doing?!

UK here. Our washing machine's in the kitchen. I dry and fold my laundry in my bedroom.

In my first apartment in Germany the washing maschine was in my living room, but the apartment had only 250 sqft. In Germany laundry rooms are even in newer houses mostly uncommon. Not a lot of people I know have one. They stand in bathrooms, kitchens or in the utility room.
    In the US my laudry room is in the basement and I hate it. Always have to carry everything two flights of stairs and I do not like to work-out. :(
    You can't use up creativity. The more you use, the more you have.
    Maya Angelou

Please excuse my English and feel free to correct any mistake you find. :) It is not my native language.
    Gallery ID: kjhgkjgkjhgk
  • BeardedgeekBeardedgeek Posts: 5,520 Member
    4)When they use moveobjects to make fake lounge chairs that your sims cant use when u play, or when they forget to pood doors and windows.

God yes what's with that? It seems 90% of pool sides have those fake chairs that takes up tons of space and cannot be used?????
    Origin ID: A_Bearded_Geek
  • BeardedgeekBeardedgeek Posts: 5,520 Member
    Most of my pet peeves have already been mentioned. I'm not a fan of cars and garages in builds. I will always delete a sized up car. Laundry rooms seem unecessary in smaller houses.

The one that might get me a bit of flak is, well, Americana.

Specifically, mid-century modern. There's something about the mid-century modern aesthetic that is incredibly depressing. It makes me think of nuclear fallout. It's barren, cookie-cutter, 'functional' to the point of blandness. I've actually put a couple of these houses in my game specifically because they make me think of oppression and when I'm feeling like playing mean sims... well...

Personally that style is what makes me absolutely LOVE Oasis Springs. I am totally in love with the aestetics.
    The only time period I like better is the 1930 -1950 period.

Can you tell I vastly prefer Dieselpunk over both Cyberpunk and Steampunk?
    Origin ID: A_Bearded_Geek
  • safersavioursafersaviour Posts: 507 Member
    edited June 2018
    Personally that style is what makes me absolutely LOVE Oasis Springs. I am totally in love with the aestetics.

I love Oasis Springs too, but most of the buildings I've put there are Contemporary Modern or Tuscan. xD
    Post edited by safersaviour on
  • CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    I think the answer to the clutter issue is a realistic amount of clutter; my kitchen has paper towels, spatulas, sauce bottles and maybe a fruit bowl, but also lots of free work space.

It is worth remembering that if you like the house but not how it's been decorated you can always place the lot unfurnished.

Best solution all day. :) Problem solved. Then players can decorate it themselves.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • simsinmysleepsimsinmysleep Posts: 651 Member

I don't put a garage with fake cars on every lot I build, but I've done it a time or two (especially when the game was brand new). In my case, it was 'wishful thinking' - I was so sure that cars were going to be added within an expansion pack or two, that I added a garage and fake car as sort of a placeholder for when the real thing came. I did the same thing with laundry rooms and they really DID get added (so people could go in now and replace the counters I used as placeholders for washer/dryer with the real thing)! Still crossing my fingers for cars, lol. With both of those things, though, I'm really just building/designing for myself and my own preferences. I only share if I think somebody else might get some use out of my build. :smile:
    KGLsNuM.jpg
  • JojoMOMSTERJojoMOMSTER Posts: 1,957 Member
    I'm hearing there are two kinds of builds, SIM logical and people logical and I build in both. For competitive or showcase builds I want to make something that is photogenic, For builds that are for my own use they tend to be SIM logical meaning primarily objects SIMS can interact with however I get frustrated playing in a drab house i can't stand it for long. I agree about SIM testing and warning about #MOO before placing which I have legitimately forgot to do a few times. Also for showcasing its more likely that I will use every possible item I can get my hands on from all packs and debug to express an aesthetic. For SIM usefulness putting up builds with only a couple packs I think is better.

Very interesting thread, that some of my simplest builds are downloaded the most due to utility and ease of play is telling.

My pet peave is when a room is too big for the intended decor so the builder adds multiples of something which might make perfect sense in storytelling but not so much in a utility build eg a modest home with two stoves? Why? If the bathroom was too big would you take up space by putting 5 toilets? Of course not! So why two stoves in a modest Kitchen? Or, if a house is set up for about 3 or 4 sims and between the kitchen bar and dining table there are 24 eating spaces, again why? if for story telling the entire neighbourhood comes for Sunday dinner then yes. if it's a simple build to share then maybe not.

I am a huge gallery junkie. I am impressed everyday by what other builders come up with and love checking out their builds. I follow a lot of outstanding expert builders and they regularly blow my mind with their creativity.
  • JSwartz0181JSwartz0181 Posts: 42 Member
    Sigzy05 wrote: »
    Using moo for everything.

I get that TS4 doesn't have a lot of stuff and people have to get creative but most of the time people make objects unplayable with this.

Sorry but what is 'Moo'? Miscellaneous objects?

Move Objects On, I believe. Personally, I don't use it. Mostly, because I haven't a clue how to use it. I think it allows you to put stuff on an angle or exactly where you wish to put it that the grid won't allow. Someone with experience with it can probably better explain it.
    MOO simply allows you to put objects anywhere you want, free of restrictions (even overlapping objects). But you have to be careful, as it can make items unusable. But not only can you place items anywhere on the floor you want, but you can actually adjust their height too (using ( and ) if I remember correctly (I don't do it enough to have it memorized -- I still stumble about looking for the pair of keys))! Two examples of this are: 1) I made a custom science career work location, and the reception lobby is a two-story (both with taller walls) room. To keep with the science theme, as part of its decor, I MOOed one of the large space rocks on the second floor, elevated further, in order to have it hanging from the ceiling. It looks GREAT, IMO! 2) I didn't like how the only telescopes in the game were giant observatories, so I ended up building a community lot space center (it's also home to multiple rocket pads), where those telescopes wouldn't look out of place. As part of the decor, I did two things that required MOOing objects that otherwise were limited to placement on the floor that I wanted on counters instead (raising their elevation to look like they were on the counters, and not actually putting them on the surfaces) -- the galaxy light and the model rocket engine. Again, it looks amazing, and far better than if they were left on the floor, as the objects otherwise require.

The ability to adjust the height of objects with keyboard keys is also an easy solution to the toilet paper dilemma of being unable to place it at the right height. ;)
    Because of so many people complaining about the amount of packs used I've started to check which packs I used before uploading. If I've only used one or two items from a pack, I will see if it's possible to remove or replace those. The average number of packs used still lingers around ten though, so I'm not sure if it's really helping(?)
    If someone doesn't have a pack for an object used, the game simply replaces it with a similar object if available (swap a rug out with another similar one, for example), so I'm never too concerned if I only use one item from a given pack. Sure, it may not look right when they place the lot without a given pack, but at that point, that's their fault with their game, not yours as a builder.

As for the peeve of people using CC -- doesn't the game separate out lots/sims that use CC? The game automatically flags anything that uses CC, and hides them from searches, unless you actively add to include CC. That's why the couple of lots I've uploaded that have CC only have a handful of DLs (if that), compared to their non-CC counterparts that can have hundreds of DLs. So if it's something that annoys you, stop downloading the lots with it (there's even a CC icon on the thumbnail in the Gallery)/including them in your searches.
  • Louise_G0325Louise_G0325 Posts: 1,040 Member
    I find that many creators make obsolutely gorgeous exteriors with absolutely boring/mediocre interiors. It really annoys me when I have to redecorate basically every lot I download bc the interior decorating is just sad.
  • SimburianSimburian Posts: 6,907 Member
    edited June 2018
    Deleted
    Post edited by Simburian on
  • AnthonydyerAnthonydyer Posts: 1,197 Member
    edited June 2018
    Repo wrote: »

@NorthDakotaGamer , the stopstealing hashtag doesn't bother me. As far as I'm concerned, is justified. There are creators who upload an item to the gallery only to have it re-uploaded by another user with the original creators name stripped to give the re-uploader all of the credit which is unfair to the original creator. Having said that, I intensely dislike any creation marked DoNotReupload. To me this says that anyone downloading and using that creation does so at the creators sufferance. Consider someone downloads one of these lots lots makes a few changes as things change for their sims. They then share pictures of whats going on in their game. Another player notices the house and asks if the house is on the gallery. Now the first player has to choose if they 1)name the original creator and tell the second player download the original build from them without the changes (even though the second player likes the changes) 2) request that the original creator allow the re-upload and hope they grant permission 3) ignore the creators request, put the lot up with changes for the second player with the original builder named and risk getting yelled at (and potentially harassed) by the original creator for re-uploading. Builders have the right to make the request that their creations not be re-uploaded, but I equally have the right to not download for favor them and I don't do either. (Incidentally, I'm not a fan of re-uploading to the gallery just for storage purposes - but that's an different discussion).

Out of curiosity, what is your opinions on downloading a house, making significant modifications to the house, and then reuploading it? You probably should give credit if doing that. I don't actually do that, I was just wondering.

I agree it is wrong to download a house and then just reupload it and take the credit.
  • AnthonydyerAnthonydyer Posts: 1,197 Member
    I'm a builder and I'm not offended by this thread at all. I've even laughed at myself for making dumb mistakes. This is just a silly funny discussion.
  • Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,907 Member
    edited June 2018

I love Oasis Springs too, but most of the buildings I've put there are Contemporary Modern or Tuscan. xD

I have all the houses in my former sims 4 Oasis Springs save done in the spanish villa type style - with the exception of anything occupied. I leave those alone except for that trailer with Johnny Zest - I have not done anything to that town in this save yet - but add some businesses etc. When I do redo any I will most likely again go with Spanish or Greek type villa style. I like those styles a lot. LOL. I am not into the 50-60's style either. Reminds me too much of the government made bomb shelter housing of that era - like a disaster waiting to happen. America's scary days. lol.

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....

Cinebar wrote: »

Best solution all day. :) Problem solved. Then players can decorate it themselves.

Thanks! :)
  • agustdagustd Posts: 946 Member
    edited June 2018
    A lot of people hate clutter it seems. I’m the opposite, I hate it when the house is basically empty, save for the necessities. Like seriously, people?!

Totally agree, can't stand interiors with no clutter, or minimal clutter.... House with no decor doesn't look like it's lived in. Clutter is an amazing outlet for creativity and some builders come up with truly great stuff, but gallery isn't screenshot friendly so I usually find houses with clutter arrangement gems on tumblr.

One thing I find particularly annoying is building unnecessarily huge houses, with huge rooms and not enough furniture in them... The game just doesn't offer that many options for huge rooms to make sense. I like moderately sized rooms, where you can see people really thought out the layout of furniture for it to look realistic and make sense. When I download a house and I find 6 huge rooms with only bare necessity furniture in them (so like 3-5 pieces only) I go crazy :D And sims look ridiculously tiny and out of places in inaccurately sized interiors.
  • RepoRepo Posts: 344 Member
    @Anthonydyer , I personally don't have any objections to re-uploading items as long as the original creators name is on it and they are credited. I'd be happy to see someone having fun with a lot I have created. I put them up to be played with even if that means someone else has fun making changes to them. Sometimes when I see things that I like that have been re-uploaded I will go look at the the original creators page to see what else they have. I have been introduced to and have found some creators to follow that way.
  • phantasmkissphantasmkiss Posts: 1,520 Member
    edited July 2018
    I don't put a garage with fake cars on every lot I build, but I've done it a time or two (especially when the game was brand new). In my case, it was 'wishful thinking' - I was so sure that cars were going to be added within an expansion pack or two, that I added a garage and fake car as sort of a placeholder for when the real thing came.

Garages/Laundry Rooms:

This. As a builder, I like garages, but try to make them useful. I don't have the laundry pack, but I know how popular it is, and growing up, the washer and dryer were always in the garage!

Before I started building, I liked garages because they were easy to turn into big bedrooms for teen Sims, or sometimes multiple bedrooms for kids.

I really wasn't sure about the toy cars, though. I think I'll stop including them because they're annoying to size up anyway!

MOO:

I love this cheat. I used to abuse it terribly, but discovered that I hate things floating when the walls are down. I'm still learning and evolving, and making things more playable. If it's not playable, there's no point for me!

If you see a box of tissues on top of cupboards or a bookcase, I've hidden a shelf so you can actually put things up there. MOO can be a good friend when used properly.

Clutter/Reuploads:

I like clutter. It feels lived-in, and I playtest at least enough to be sure nothing is blocked. I expect people who download my builds to delete some of it to put their own clutter in (like awards), and to change beds or dressers, but I decorate so it can be used as-is.

I can spend days, or sometimes weeks, on a build, so I'd be 🐸🐸🐸🐸 if someone re-uploaded with say, an hour's worth of work changing things. However, the "original by" tag helps. I know I'd stil get credit for painstakingly painting the ground with layers of flowers, dirt, and grass, and other such completely unneccessary but important (to me) details.

House Cost:

I've made a few starters which are less than §20,000. They're pretty bare, but have a good amount of space because I hope for people to finish decorating and upgrading until it's the perfect home. These I'd enjoy seeing re-uploaded (with credit, of course.) It would make my day to see a plain little house I built turned into a real home.

When building something huge, I don't pay attention to the price. There's no way to make an apartment building, Mount Olympus, or mansion for under §20k. That's when the Motherlode cheat is super helpful. Then again, those things aren't for typical play, they're for very specific kinds of stories. (Or living awesomely just for the fun of it!)

To non-builders:

What kind of houses do you want to download? Do you want starters that are prettier than the ones in-game? Ones that have enough space to grow into? Are you looking for more variety for second homes? For legacies?

Actually, I think I'll start my own thread to ask this. It is here: http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/943454/what-do-you-search-for-in-the-gallery

TL;DR: I've really enjoyed this thread. I've got all the houses my Sims need and build because it's fun, and would really love to build things other people like.
    4TJdLHA.png
    Tumblr | Sims 4 Gallery | Sims 3 Page
    Baby Darling: My 100 Baby Challenge | Generation 1 | Donors 10 | Adult Children 8 | First Post | Most Recent
    Give Me a Story, I'll Give You a Build | The Bunker Challenge | CowplantSports
  • WoWDiva92WoWDiva92 Posts: 111 Member
    I really appreciate this thread. I feel like it will be very helpful with my builds. My passion lately is building and decorating homes for under 20k. I have 50 builds in a series I call "Starting Out in Style". Being that it is designed for the Sim just starting out. I try and give the homes that "lived in" cozy look without overcrowding.
  • WooldropWooldrop Posts: 89 Member
    edited July 2018
    Okay, so as a builder (who is also a player) I don't mind this thread. A lot of the peeves are amusing. The great cat litter debate has to be my favorite. I have my own pet peeves that drove me to begin building myself and uploading. One was random mismatched rugs in odd positions everywhere. It drove me nuts. I love rugs and love using multiple layered rugs to create the illusion of a new rug, but rugs just placed willy-nilly made my right eye twitch. Some may love that, just not me. Most of these pet peeves are just a question of personal tastes. You can't please everyone.

That said, I can see how some things can be taken personal. As a Builder you are creating something that takes so much time and effort that you do become attached. For me this is true as so much thought goes into each build. From exterior to interior, the flow and decor all play a part. Hearing that something you might love and use often is disliked is hard for anyone to hear sometimes. Again, it all comes down to personal tastes and the way things are said/or heard.

Now for some of the addressed pet peeves, I find many of them useful to hear for future reference. They were helpful. I would like to address some that I am guilty of and maybe explain why some of these might happen.

1. Use of MOO and play testing: MOO is a cheat I use almost all of the time. Not for anything major, just small decor really. I love being able to add a small potted plant and candle/lamp on an end table. I also like to add some "clutter" to dressers and bathroom counters. Positioning that wall decor just the way I like it. Play testing is something that I do on about 98% of my builds as they are always used for my own sims. The only exception is lots done for challenges.

2. Not tagging MOO: This is something I forget to do. TS4 was not my first sims game, but it was my first time using the gallery so with my earlier builds I didn't know to use it. This may be true for many. Or they simply just assume you know to use it. Now, I just forget sometimes. It's usually not a big deal since I use it on minor things, you might not notice that a tissue box is missing.

3. Clutter: What is to much clutter? To clutter or not to clutter, that is the question. Some of my lots are just empty homes or partially empty (just with the stuff you would find when buying a home in RL. Kitchen cabinets basic bathroom, light landscaping). I always put it in the description.

4. Lighting: I personally add extra lighting when uploading a individual room. Not for you to keep but for image visibility. Lighting is important in the gallery. Often times the gallery pic won't do it justice with basic lighting.

5. Game packs and CC: Most of my builds I use personally so I use what packs I have. I do have a couple builds using base game only of barely any packs, not many. I don't use CC in my builds, I just add it in later for personal use.

6. Price: I keep my Starters under 20k. I also won't always add a computer/T.V. to keep costs down in some builds. Maybe your sims needs to save up for one, or they got one as a reward from work.

Sorry this was so long, just wanted to add some personal insight into this.
    Gallery ID: WoolDrop

My Creations Thread is HERE

Follow me on Twitter: @DropWool
  • elelunicyelelunicy Posts: 2,004 Member
    #1 biggest issue for me is when what appears to be a single room is actually multiple rooms attached together with no walls in between. It’s a huge pain to fix this myself.
    qidpmcvgek8y.png
  • TheDismalSimmerTheDismalSimmer Posts: 656 Member
    Ah ha ha

Seems like I've been guilty of most of these pet peeves at least once (except tagging with stop stealing, I don't like that either). I wonder how many "do not download" lists I'm on :open_mouth:

At any rate this has been an entertaining and educational read.
    dgvibNQ.png