Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Computer restarts randomly when loading into game

orangehippogrifforangehippogriff Posts: 946 Member
Hey so sorry to be a bother, but I've been having this issue on and off for a few weeks now and I'm wondering if anyone can help me determine the cause.
Basically, when I go to load in my save file, sometimes my computer will turn completely off and then turn automatically on again, thus causing the game to be exited without being saved.
I've updated my graphics card drivers and that helped for a bit, but today it's crashing again. Sometimes it will do it and sometimes it won't, the unpredictability is quite annoying. I have a feeling it has something to do with my graphics card but I'm not sure and would like an expert opinion. Thank you so much for any help!

Here are my specs:

GeForce GTX 770
Driver version 398.11
Intel(R)Core(TM) i7-3770 CPU @ 3.4GHz
15.95 GB RAM
1600 x 900, 60Hz

(Oh also, I have taken out all mods/CC and repaired my game)

edited to add a link to dxdiag:
https://pastebin.com/qeuVHh46

Comments

• Options
    rosemowrosemow Posts: 163,596 Member
    Hello
    It would be good to post your DXDiag info here. To gather a DXDIAG on your computer, do this :
    Press and hold the Windows key and the letter R on your keyboard
    You will see a Run box in the lower-left corner of your screen
    Type dxdiag in the text field
    Click OK
    Click the Save All Information button, found on the bottom of the DXDIAG report

After you have saved your dxdiag info on your computer, go to the pastebin site https://pastebin.com
    and copy/paste the dxdiag info into the white box there. Press the button to create the new paste/pastebin text file.
    Then post here in this thread the web address of your dxdiag info that is on the pastebin site.

Or if you prefer you can break up the DXDiag infornation and post it in multiple posts in this thread.
  • Options

Thank you @rosemow !
    thankfully I already had it copied to my dash so here's the link
  • Options
    Hello
    Try playing the game in windowed mode and see if that helps.
    https://help.ea.com/en-us/help/the-sims/the-sims-4/playing-the-sims-4-in-windowed-mode

Try turning off origin in-game and see if that helps. To do that, go to Game Library in Origin . Right click on The Sims 4 picture. Click on “Game Properties”. Then untick the box that enables origin in-game

Try lowering the graphics settings and see if that helps.

Try deleting the cache files and see if that helps
    https://sims4.crinrict.com/en/2014/09/delete-cache-files/

Try testing with another save game file and see if the issue occurs with that save also.
    Try testing also with a new save game.
  • Options
    @rosemow I was already playing in windowed mode and the issue occurred, but I'll keep it in windowed mode.
    I turned off origin in game, and deleted cache files.
    when I tried a new game it appeared to be working, and it also appears to be working so far in my old save.
    I'm just worried it'll happen again when I haven't saved.

It's been really hot where I live, so possibly overheating may have something to do with it?
    Do you think to be safe I should upgrade my graphics card?

Thank you so much for all your help, you truly are the best of the forums :)
  • Options
    Overheating can cause issues.
    Also, there may be dust in the computer.
    I will tag @phoebebebe13 and @chesterbigbird about upgrading your graphics card as they will be able to help you with that.
    You’re welcome :)
  • Options
    rosemow wrote: »
    Overheating can cause issues.
    Also, there may be dust in the computer.
    I will tag @phoebebebe13 and @chesterbigbird about upgrading your graphics card as they will be able to help you with that.
    You’re welcome :)

Thank you! My computer was cleaned out like a week ago so I doubt it's dust. But we'll see.
  • Options
    It may be that the computer has been overheating with the hot weather that you have been having.
    I hope that you may not continue to have these crashing issues.
  • Options
    NichaedemusNichaedemus Posts: 16,905 Member
    Hi,

Is your Intel Core i7 CPU running at factory speeds or is it being overclocked? The following page from the Intel website may also be of interest to you:
    My PC has an Intel Core i5/i7 processor and is randomly freezing, shutting down, or resetting while running the game.
    https://communities.intel.com/docs/DOC-23517
    When you need help with The Sims 3 or The Sims 4, be sure to check out the Master Help Thread today!
  • Options
    chesterbigbirdchesterbigbird Posts: 8,581 Member
    edited June 2018
    Hey so sorry to be a bother, but I've been having this issue on and off for a few weeks now and I'm wondering if anyone can help me determine the cause.
    Basically, when I go to load in my save file, sometimes my computer will turn completely off and then turn automatically on again, thus causing the game to be exited without being saved.
    I've updated my graphics card drivers and that helped for a bit, but today it's crashing again. Sometimes it will do it and sometimes it won't, the unpredictability is quite annoying. I have a feeling it has something to do with my graphics card but I'm not sure and would like an expert opinion. Thank you so much for any help!

Here are my specs:

GeForce GTX 770
    Driver version 398.11
    Intel(R)Core(TM) i7-3770 CPU @ 3.4GHz
    15.95 GB RAM
    1600 x 900, 60Hz

(Oh also, I have taken out all mods/CC and repaired my game)

edited to add a link to dxdiag:

It does sound like overheating although could also be a million other things. The 3rd gen intel does get hotter then other generations.
    Are you using the stock cooler?
    Download Hwmonitor
    https://www.cpuid.com/softwares/hwmonitor.html (free one)
    Run the program and LEAVE IT OPEN.
    Now i would usually say to run the game at this point to check the temps however you say your pc is crashing while loading.. so that would be pointless.
    Is there any other games you have played without your pc crashing?
    Do not go replacing hardware (graphics card) without knowing what the issue is because it could very well be a cpu heat issue.
    i7 6700K
    16GB hyper X fury
    MSI GTX 1080
    MSI gaming M5 mobo
    Evga 750 supernova
    Corsair hydro h110i GT
    Corsair obsidian 750D
    500GB SSD
    6TB Seagate Barracuda Pro
    LG 34" ultra wide

• Options
    @Nichaedemus
    to be completely honest, I have no idea what that website is talking about, I'm kinda computer illiterate. (which I'm sure is frustrating, so my apologies.) I may have a family friend look at it and see what he can determine.

@chesterbigbird

I installed that program and attempted to run it in the background of my game to take a screenshot of what the temperature is, but it crashed :pensive:

so the question is, is this something to do with the processor? should that be replaced? you said it could be a million other things so I'm confused and any help would be much appreciated.

thank you x4 billion, seriously (I want to play seasons.... ughhhhh :s fml)
  • Options
    ScarletSimEaterScarletSimEater Posts: 126 Member
    If you want to check how much of it is your processor without having to check the game, have both the program Chester mentioned and CPU-Z (made by the same company) running at the same time. CPU-Z has a bunch of tabs, one of them allows you to benchmark your PC, and specifically you can press a button to stress test it. That will allow you to watch temperatures without having a game running and hogging your monitor, as well as just testing your CPU without engaging your graphics card.

Depending on how much of a techie your family friend is, there are some things that are technically very simple to do but that lots of people don't like because it involves taking out parts. Basically, both the CPU and the GPU (the core part of your graphics card) create a lot of heat in a small space. In order to counteract this, there's a system in place to take that heat and spread it over a larger surface area. In older computers sometimes the heat spreader (the thing that helps to diffuse the heat) can get clogged with dust, and/or the thermal paste (that helps ensure that the heat flows to the heat spreader) can dry out and become less effective. It requires taking parts out of your computer, so I totally understand asking a geeky friend to do it, but both those issues are easy to fix.
  • Options
    If you want to check how much of it is your processor without having to check the game, have both the program Chester mentioned and CPU-Z (made by the same company) running at the same time. CPU-Z has a bunch of tabs, one of them allows you to benchmark your PC, and specifically you can press a button to stress test it. That will allow you to watch temperatures without having a game running and hogging your monitor, as well as just testing your CPU without engaging your graphics card.

Depending on how much of a techie your family friend is, there are some things that are technically very simple to do but that lots of people don't like because it involves taking out parts. Basically, both the CPU and the GPU (the core part of your graphics card) create a lot of heat in a small space. In order to counteract this, there's a system in place to take that heat and spread it over a larger surface area. In older computers sometimes the heat spreader (the thing that helps to diffuse the heat) can get clogged with dust, and/or the thermal paste (that helps ensure that the heat flows to the heat spreader) can dry out and become less effective. It requires taking parts out of your computer, so I totally understand asking a geeky friend to do it, but both those issues are easy to fix.

I was going to suggest a stress test however that will ofcourse completely max the cpu so the temps during a stress test will naturally be higher then loading the game (that's when it crashes)
    i7 6700K
    16GB hyper X fury
    MSI GTX 1080
    MSI gaming M5 mobo
    Evga 750 supernova
    Corsair hydro h110i GT
    Corsair obsidian 750D
    500GB SSD
    LG 34" ultra wide

• Options
    Hey thank you guys so much for your replies @ScarletSimEater @chesterbigbird

I screenshotted what you said and I’ll show it to my techie friend later today and see if he can help :)
  • Options

I screenshotted what you said and I’ll show it to my techie friend later today and see if he can help :)

If you have the hwmonitor temps saved you can post it here and i can have a look if you like?
    i7 6700K
    16GB hyper X fury
    MSI GTX 1080
    MSI gaming M5 mobo
    Evga 750 supernova
    Corsair hydro h110i GT
    Corsair obsidian 750D
    500GB SSD
    LG 34" ultra wide

• Options

If you have the hwmonitor temps saved you can post it here and i can have a look if you like?

I actually just got into the game for a bit on high settings instead of ultra, and the temperature was running at about 60-66 degrees. so I don't know if that's bad?
  • Options

I actually just got into the game for a bit on high settings instead of ultra, and the temperature was running at about 60-66 degrees. so I don't know if that's bad?

Was that the Maximum temperature? and was that for the graphics card or cpu? The temps will vary depending on what's going on in the game.
    i7 6700K
    16GB hyper X fury
    MSI GTX 1080
    MSI gaming M5 mobo
    Evga 750 supernova
    Corsair hydro h110i GT
    Corsair obsidian 750D
    500GB SSD
    LG 34" ultra wide

• Options
    Sid1701D9Sid1701D9 Posts: 4,718 Member
    edited June 2018
    Ahhh, I got a question for @youorangehippogriff does your computer restart with the Cmos or bios information, or the monitor just go black for a little bit. I also noticed in the bottom of the DXDiag is the most common errors, video card can't find the PCI bridge and the video card video memory controller, at the bottom it says drivers not installed. So you need to find someone to help you install the proper drivers for the pci bridge and the video ram controller, the video card needs them to run properly, if it don't have them it sends a system halt error, and restarts the system.

Edit: The PCI Bridge is needed so that the processor can find where the video card is, it should also either have the v memory controller or know where it is at and may be on the video card itself. V memory is dedicated memory for the video card and without it the computer will treat it as integrated and use system memory.
    Sid1701d-"I love my life, live my life and live to play, laugh and have fun."

"Love will Fight, Love will Win and Love will Survive."
  • Options
    @Sid1701D9 Hello. :)
    when it shuts off, the monitor just goes black, and I'll have my mom's boyfriend look at what you said in a sec.

thanks bunches!
  • Options

Was that the Maximum temperature? and was that for the graphics card or cpu? The temps will vary depending on what's going on in the game.

yeah that was the maximum temperature, and it was the CPU I'm pretty sure
  • Options
    @Sid1701D9 @chesterbigbird @Nichaedemus
    So a little update, today we went to Best Buy and got a new graphics card and fans, haven’t tested the fans yet, but the new graphics card makes it look amazing and it hasn’t been crashing, although, I haven’t played for very long.
    My boyfriend played Path of Exile and Borderlands 2 and his games looked great and didn’t crash, so so far everything looks to be okay although I don’t want to speak too soon.

Thank you for all your help
  • Options
    So a little update, today we went to Best Buy and got a new graphics card and fans, haven’t tested the fans yet, but the new graphics card makes it look amazing and it hasn’t been crashing, although, I haven’t played for very long.
    My boyfriend played Path of Exile and Borderlands 2 and his games looked great and didn’t crash, so so far everything looks to be okay although I don’t want to speak too soon.

What card did you get?
    i7 6700K
    16GB hyper X fury
    MSI GTX 1080
    MSI gaming M5 mobo
    Evga 750 supernova
    Corsair hydro h110i GT
    Corsair obsidian 750D
    500GB SSD
    LG 34" ultra wide

• Options

What card did you get?

GTX 1050 ti :)
  • Options
    Sid1701D9Sid1701D9 Posts: 4,718 Member
    Oh, I still have the GTX 660 most sims games and any new game can run on that one the 1050 is way over powered for the Sims games.
    Sid1701d-"I love my life, live my life and live to play, laugh and have fun."

"Love will Fight, Love will Win and Love will Survive."
  • Options
    @Sid1701D9 oh well I figured it was a good investment for the future, in case sims 5 ever comes out, plus my boyfriend does gaming on that pc too. so it's not shutting off anymore so I think the graphics card was the issue, at least that's what it seems like. We also got a new fan though too so that's helping.
  • Options
    edited June 2018
    Sid1701D9 wrote: »
    Oh, I still have the GTX 660 most sims games and any new game can run on that one the 1050 is way over powered for the Sims games.

It's by no means over powered for the sims games. It's only because it's newer. It's one of the lower "mid range" cards Nvidia has to offer its not high end and its perfect for simming.
    I would classify the 1070ti-1080 overkill (depending on your resolution) but not the 1050. Older generation cards wouldn't be worth buying.
    i7 6700K
    16GB hyper X fury
    MSI GTX 1080
    MSI gaming M5 mobo
    Evga 750 supernova
    Corsair hydro h110i GT
    Corsair obsidian 750D
    500GB SSD
    LG 34" ultra wide