Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

New Expansion Pack announcement at Gamescom 2018?

Comments

• LeGardePourpreLeGardePourpre Posts: 15,176 Member
  • ErpeErpe Posts: 5,872 Member
    Nope, too soon!
    Chazzzy wrote: »
    When is Gamescom?
    From August 21 to August 25 in Cologne, Germany.
    Nope, too soon!
    elelunicy wrote: »
    Now think about it, why isn’t “Nope, but they’ll announce TS5 instead” an option in the OP? We all know there are people who are convinced TS5 is going to be announced soon (such as @Erpe ). By not including this option, @jackjack_k you might hurt their feelings ;)
    You should read what I have written. Otherwise you might miss an option like “No, they will announce Battlefield 5 instead!” or something like that ;)

TS5 is another game and not a pack for TS4 - just like Battlefield 5 isn’t a pack for TS4 either :)
  • drake_mccartydrake_mccarty Posts: 6,114 Member
    edited June 2018
    Nope, too soon!
    They have only announced an EP in 2015, and 2017 (Get Together and Cats and Dogs). City Living wasn’t moved forward, it was announced after Gamescom took place; GC 2016 (Aug 17-21) and City Living was announced on September 13, 2016. There is no evidence whatsoever that the announcement for CL was intended to be any earlier or later than what it was. The first verified leak for CL happened 9 days after GC ended.

I don’t think anything will be announced at GC. Could there be an announcement of some sort in the same time frame? Sure, but at most there will be a hands on zone. I’m not really even sold that there will be a second expansion, time will ultimately tell.
  • ANNETTE1951ANNETTE1951 Posts: 520 Member
    Yep, but it will be a few months till we get details.
    Why would they attend Gamescom if they have nothing to announce?
    edited June 2018
    Nope, too soon!
    @Erpe

The Game Packs were never announced at EA Play or Gamescom, it's not a major product.
  • luthienrisingluthienrising Posts: 37,617 Member
    Nope, too soon!

General promotion of existing games, interaction with fans. They've often attended Gamescom without an announcement. It's a major consumer event. Last year EA had over 400 stations to try games at, and Sims 4 had a Game Changers event.
    EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.
  • 3KNPen3KNPen Posts: 2,825 Member
    edited June 2018
    Nope, but they’ll announce a Game Pack instead.

Because Sims isn't the only game that EA has???

I mean has it even been confirmed that the Sims team will be at Gamescom this year? But I mean they didn't announce anything Sims related at E3 and they were still set up there. It'll be much the same for GC set up booths to let people play it and to give European fans/Game Changers a chance for hands on interaction with it.
    ~ ~ ~
    Nope, too soon!
    Last year EA announced Cats&Dogs at Gamescom. But if they announce something big about Sims there this year then it likely will be TS5. I would expect TS5 to be announced earlier though.
  • AlbaWaterhouseAlbaWaterhouse Posts: 3,953 Member
    Wishful thinking. I'm going to Gamescom this year so I hope they do some big announcement while I'm there.
    Origin ID is: AlbaWaterhouse
    All my creations are CC free.
  • MrMonty96MrMonty96 Posts: 1,715 Member
    Nope, too soon!
    Erpe wrote: »
    Last year EA announced Cats&Dogs at Gamescom. But if they announce something big about Sims there this year then it likely will be TS5. I would expect TS5 to be announced earlier though.

Sims 5 isn't coming for goodness' sake!
    Nope, too soon!
    MrMonty96 wrote: »

Because some TS4 simmers just wants TS4 to get at least 200 more packs? ;):D
    edited June 2018
    Nope, too soon!
    @Erpe wrote: »
    MrMonty96 wrote: »

Because some TS4 simmers just wants TS4 to get at least 200 more packs? ;):D

The Sims 3 did 20 packs and 206 Store sets, The Sims 4 must do more than that.

231 packs (33 EP, 66 GP and 132 SP until 2046, 33 years later) would be perfect :p
  • catloverplayercatloverplayer Posts: 93,362 Member
    @Erpe

Hmmm... a GP is announced 2 weeks before the release date. I think the next GP will be released in November.

Gamescom 2018 is on Tuesday, August 21
    I can’t guess that because things are not normal just now. I think that Seasons was made ready to be released before the GP because EA is preparing an announcement about TS5 being released next year and it was important for EA to tell people that TS4 still will get packs for years. But does that mean that the next GP also will be released before the next SP?

The past is not the present, @Erpe . Honestly, I don't know anymore if you aren't just trolling.

And just throwing this out here while I'm here for the "diverse" part:
    I know all this. TS4 will continue. But why did he go to twitter in the first place just for some mysterious reason use a lot of time just to tell us that TS4 isn’t over when nobody expected it to be?

And why did he avoid to tell us that TS4 will be EAs main Sims game for a couple of years more because TS5 is at least that far away?

His actions are suspicious and so is the way he avoids mentioning TS5. And I have never believed that EA should be ready to lose millions of new young simmers by not releasing a new big Sims game every 5 years and suddenly be satisfied just with earning less and less from making packs for an old game to satisfy the minority of veteran simmers in this forum (which EA clearly cares less about than about twitter)!

So you can’t convince me that EA isn’t ready to announce TS5 this summer as a multiplayer game even though EA also plans to release more packs for TS4 even after the release of TS5 (maybe under a different name)!

If TS5 is a multiplayer game it will fail. Seriously though I don't expect to see TS5 release for a couple more years.
    Nope, too soon!
    @catloverplayer The Sims Freeplay and the Sims Mobile didn’t fail! Actually they were the first mobile Sims games that didn’t fail like the mobile versions of TS2, TS3 and the Sims Medieval all did - and exactly because TSF and TSM were online multiplayer games! ;)

I don’t know if TS5 will fail or not because we don’t know anything about it yet (except that it has been in development since 2014 and almost certainly is multiplayer). Most likely it will be very different from the earlier big Sims games but still get packs and DLC.

But I know that the small group of hardcore veteran simmers (maybe about a thousand?) in this forum are hard to convince because they just refuse the fact that they aren’t even in the target group for the big Sims games which instead are the millions of new young casual simmers who buy the huge majority of the games. (Therefore the gurus ignore this forum and use twitter instead.)
    Nope, too soon!
    @catloverplayer The Sims Freeplay and the Sims Mobile didn’t fail! Actually they were the first mobile Sims games that didn’t fail like the mobile versions of TS2, TS3 and the Sims Medieval all did - and exactly because TSF and TSM were online multiplayer games! ;)

I don’t know if TS5 will fail or not because we don’t know anything about it yet (except that it has been in development since 2014 and almost certainly is multiplayer). Most likely it will be very different from the earlier big Sims games but still get packs and DLC.

But I know that the small group of hardcore veteran simmers (maybe about a thousand?) in this forum are hard to convince because they just refuse the fact that they aren’t even in the target group for the big Sims games which instead are the millions of new young casual simmers who buy the huge majority of the games. (Therefore the gurus ignore this forum and use twitter instead.)

Neither of those games are multiplayer, at least not in any way that would qualify a PC game as multiplayer. Both of those games are also free to install, and for the most part free to play.

EA tried multiplayer with this game and it didn’t work out. I don’t know why you are basing your prediction for the sequel on mobile games, or a speculative “new group of casual simmers“. You don’t know who is installing those apps, or buying this game; for all you know there could be considerable overlap.
    Nope, too soon!

Neither of those games are multiplayer, at least not in any way that would qualify a PC game as multiplayer. Both of those games are also free to install, and for the most part free to play.

EA tried multiplayer with this game and it didn’t work out. I don’t know why you are basing your prediction for the sequel on mobile games, or a speculative “new group of casual simmers“. You don’t know who is installing those apps, or buying this game; for all you know there could be considerable overlap.
    EA tried rain and weather in the Sims 2 basegame. But it didn’t work out. The game became unstable and it was raining inside the houses. So EA just gave up and decided never to include weather in the Sims games, right?

We all know that this wasn’t what happened. EA planned multiplayer for TS4 and for SimCity 2013. But when SimCity 2013 was released EA saw that multiplayer had been made in the wrong way and there wasn’t enough time to make it better in TS4. Therefore TS4 didn’t become a multiplayer game anyway. But EA then gave up and removed multiplayer from all its PC games? No, of course not! Instead EA began making TS5 and give it an improved multiplayer part that didn’t have the same problems.

There are a huge number of ways to make multiplayer games and I don’t understand why it isn’t multiplayer when I am visiting cities belonging to my friends in the Sims Freeplay or let my sims become friends with sims that are owned by other simmers in any of the two mobile games??

The two mobile games aren’t identical and in the Sims Mobile we can’t even visit cities belonging to other simmers as we can in Freeplay. TS5 will likely have multiplayer in a third way which I can’t guess yet. Maybe we can visit cities belonging to other simmers or maybe we can’t. Maybe we can invite sims belonging to other simmers like in the Sims Mobile. Maybe TS5 will be real-time too even though I doubt it. Maybe TS5 will require an Internet connection all the time or maybe it like so many multiplayer games can be played offline too. We just don’t know yet. But that EA should throw millions of dollars away by ignoring the huge minority of new young simmers just to please a few thousand older veteran simmers who want packs for TS4 in at least 20 more years isn’t within the real world no matter how hard you fight to convince me that EA care more about veteran simmers than about money ;):D
  • jackjack_kjackjack_k Posts: 8,601 Member
    edited June 2018

EA tried rain and weather in the Sims 2 basegame. But it didn’t work out. The game became unstable and it was raining inside the houses. So EA just gave up and decided never to include weather in the Sims games, right?

We all know that this wasn’t what happened. EA planned multiplayer for TS4 and for SimCity 2013. But when SimCity 2013 was released EA saw that multiplayer had been made in the wrong way and there wasn’t enough time to make it better in TS4. Therefore TS4 didn’t become a multiplayer game anyway. But EA then gave up and removed multiplayer from all its PC games? No, of course not! Instead EA began making TS5 and give it an improved multiplayer part that didn’t have the same problems.

There are a huge number of ways to make multiplayer games and I don’t understand why it isn’t multiplayer when I am visiting cities belonging to my friends in the Sims Freeplay or let my sims become friends with sims that are owned by other simmers in any of the two mobile games??

The two mobile games aren’t identical and in the Sims Mobile we can’t even visit cities belonging to other simmers as we can in Freeplay. TS5 will likely have multiplayer in a third way which I can’t guess yet. Maybe we can visit cities belonging to other simmers or maybe we can’t. Maybe we can invite sims belonging to other simmers like in the Sims Mobile. Maybe TS5 will be real-time too even though I doubt it. Maybe TS5 will require an Internet connection all the time or maybe it like so many multiplayer games can be played offline too. We just don’t know yet. But that EA should throw millions of dollars away by ignoring the huge minority of new young simmers just to please a few thousand older veteran simmers who want packs for TS4 in at least 20 more years isn’t within the real world no matter how hard you fight to convince me that EA care more about veteran simmers than about money ;):D

There is no Sims 5. Please stop spreading information that there is. Until they confirm it, it’s not coming. Grant has already replied to people on Twitter than TS5 isn’t coming.

And the majority of new Simmers have also disliked the idea of online. There have been several polls on various sites with people saying they don’t want an online game.
    edited June 2018
    Nope, too soon!
    jackjack_k wrote: »

There is no Sims 5. Please stop spreading information that there is. Until they confirm it, it’s not coming. Grant has already replied to people on Twitter than TS5 isn’t coming.
    Don’t lie! Grant has instead been very careful not to say anything about TS5 at all!

The only time he ever has mentioned TS5 was when somebody asked him if the EPs he plans making are for TS5? Then he answered “No, they are for TS4.” But once more he just omitted the natural continuation which of course would have been ”..because TS5 won’t be released for a couple of years.” So don’t lie! Just because EA hasn’t yet told us which Sims games EA will release in the future this doesn’t mean that EA has said that they never ever will release a new Sims game again!
    And the majority of new Simmers have also disliked the idea of online. There have been several polls on various sites with people saying they don’t want an online game.
    Nevertheless EA released both the Sims Freeplay and the Sims Mobile anyway!

There had also been several polls that showed that TS1 simmers didn’t want TS2 because they wanted more EPs for TS1 instead. But EA released TS2 anyway and I still remember how extremely angry almost all TS1 became.

Then it became the Sims 2 simmers who hated the idea about TS3 and wanted many more EPs for TS2. But EA just released TS3 after 5 years anyway.

Then it became the Sims 3 simmers who hated the idea about TS4 and many of them still refuse to play TS4 at all. But after 5 years EA released TS4 anyway.

Now (for the fourth time) the current simmers (who now play TS4) hate the idea about TS5 and demand more EPs for TS4 instead. But for the fourth time they won’t be able to stop EA from announcing and releasing TS5 which likely again has been in development since 2014.

The only thing that is new is that the Sims 4 simmers seem to have been able to make EA release more packs even after the release of TS5 which shows me that TS5 must be an online multiplayer game because such games usually have a much longer life than offline games have. (World of Warcraft was released in 2004 and still get new content now 14 years later.)

So no! I don’t doubt that TS5 is about to be announced this summer. You may be right that most Sims 4 simmers won’t like it and won’t buy it very soon because EA seems to expect that too. But it will be the game for all the young new simmers who now only have the mobile Sims games to play.

What I am most curious about is if EA really wants TS5 be based on subscriptions in a way similar to how World of Warcraft works? EA Access could be used for that. But exactly how EA will do it we just don’t know yet.

Ask yourself why Grant so many times just has repeated that TS4 isn’t dead and still has a lot of planned content when he instead just could have said: “We are not ready to switch to Sims 5 for at least a couple more years. So don’t worry about TS4! It will still be our main Sims games for more years!” Why was it so important for him not to say that and to avoid mentioning TS5 at all??
    Nope, too soon!

Apples to oranges. You are comparing a feature of a game to the fundamental architecture of a game. Multiplayer isn’t like rain; it’s not something you are going to see added in an expansion pack it requires an entire framework in place for it to even function.

EA attributed the cancellation of multiplayer to the failure of SimCity, but by your logic that shouldn’t have mattered right? Seeing how they are only targeting “new casual simmers”. The answer to that is no - because no matter what their target demographic is they have a pool of existing players that they are similarly trying to get into the new atmosphere of the new game. Name me one AAA developer that’s released a new entry to an existing franchise that has denounced their player base in favor of a risky, unknown pool of potential players that have never bought into said franchise before.
    Nope, too soon!

Apples to oranges. You are comparing a feature of a game to the fundamental architecture of a game. Multiplayer isn’t like rain; it’s not something you are going to see added in an expansion pack it requires an entire framework in place for it to even function.

EA attributed the cancellation of multiplayer to the failure of SimCity, but by your logic that shouldn’t have mattered right? Seeing how they are only targeting “new casual simmers”. The answer to that is no - because no matter what their target demographic is they have a pool of existing players that they are similarly trying to get into the new atmosphere of the new game. Name me one AAA developer that’s released a new entry to an existing franchise that has denounced their player base in favor of a risky, unknown pool of potential players that have never bought into said franchise before.
    Another question: Why did EA make the Sims Mobile when EA already had the Sims Freeplay?

We can only guess about that for now. But I actually suspect the Sims Mobile to be intended as a free online multiplayer that hopefully can recruit new simmers who then later can switch naturally to TS5. Things that maybe points in that direction are:
    1. In TSM new simmers can get used to let their sims become friends with sims that belong to other simmers.
    2. TSM is a very small game where you only can play one house and control very few sims in that house. Therefore it will be attractice to switch to TS5 which likely will become a much bigger but similar game.
    3. TSM still has a lot of public places where your sims can work and do other activities.
    4. But TSM is very repetitive and only fun to play in a limited time. Therefore you again quite soon likely will want to switch to TS5 which likely will be similar, but much bigger and cost real money (after maybe a month where you can try it for free).

Don’t underestimate EA! They usually know what they do ;)
  • LoanetLoanet Posts: 4,079 Member
    Nope, too soon!
    Sims 5 will not be released. The reasons are generally money-based.

Sims 5 means taking a risk. It means tossing aside all your Sims 4 customers in the hope that they'll all become Sims 5 customers and while some people have been pretty vocal about wanting Sims 5, most people are happy. Kind of. Either way, Sims 5 would really tick people off.

Sims 4 is just fine - and that's not from a player point of view but a developer point of view. It can be loaded up with more items for years to come. More importantly the graphics won't age the way photorealistic graphics will. And best of all, they work just fine on all those ports.

Sims isn't EA's main cash source. That would be 'Live Services' games.

It costs a lot to make a new game with a new engine which is what people who want Sims 5 want. It would take hiring a new team. It also takes a lot longer. The end of Sims 4 would mean the Devs all lose their jobs so they won't run out of ideas in a hurry.

Sims 3 was longer out, but it was also a lot further on in its development. Sims 4 has a lot more items to go.

At E3 EA didn't have anything new on their roster. They were telling us all about right up to late 2019 but not a peep of The Sims did we see.
    Prepping a list of mods to add after Infants are placed into the game. Because real life isn't 'nice'.
    edited June 2018
    Nope, too soon!
    TS5 is off-topic

Nope, but they’ll announce a Game Pack instead.

It's technically impossible because Game Pack isn't a major product, just it's a DLC.

Nope, but I’ll put money on a Sims 4 spin off for an Xmas release

Why a spin-off ? there are already a ton of things to add and to fix in The Sims 4 (PC and Console).
  • TaquandaTaquanda Posts: 212 Member
    I hope the Sims will be at Gamescom. I'm attending for the first time this year. Would be nice. Even nicer if they did an announcement. But I highly doubt any announcement, and I also highly doubt TS5 being announced. It's too soon for both.
    Sorry for any grammar or other mistakes. English is not my native language. :)
  • IceyJIceyJ Posts: 4,641 Member
    Nope, too soon!
    @Erpe, he did tell us that TS4 will be EAs main Sims game for years longer. That is what all those tweets add up to.
    No, that is your wishful interpretation of what he said. I know that I can’t convince TS4 lovers who never want TS5 to ever be released :)
    As for what he's doing on Twitter, it is almost entirely answering Seasons questions and talking to Simmers about desired future Sims 4 content. It's all there - you're welcome to read it yourself. There are also fun conversations about great world cities and how pineapple really does belong on pizza.
    I have read it all. But you again just ignore the fact that he went on twitter before Seasons even had been announced just like the other gurus and only to tell us that “TS4 is far from over!” The gurus repeated that again and again and they do it again immediately if somebody asks about it. But they don’t mention TS5 and they refuse to tell us anything about how far away it is.
    As for TS5 "under a different name", why wouldn't that mythical creature actually be the mobile Sims game they already just released recently? How would you know it's not actually your "TS5"? TS5 could be right under your nose this whole time. ;)
    What you ignore here is that EA makes games to earn money. Therefore you think that EA doesn’t care about losing half of its income from PC games and just wants to please the few thousand simmers who still play the current PC game after having played almost all the earlier Sims games too since TS1 was released in 2000.

But imagine EA’s CEO trying to explain that to EA’s stock holders by telling them that “Yes, our income from the big PC Sims game has gone down and the new packs sell a little less than earlier. But they are still profitable and we plan to just making more packs for TS4 as long as they are. Only then will we start considering if we should make TS5 too.” He would then be attacked with questions from the stock holders and in the end some of them would suggest that they hire a new CEO for EA (and maybe should replace some other people in EA’s top too)! Therefore things don’t work that way! EA’s top want to fight for their jobs and also to increase their big salaries which depend heavily on EA’s economical results!

The PC game earns many times more money to EA than the free mobile Sims games do. Just add the price of the basegame to the total price for all the packs and multiply it with the estimated number of customers (maybe about 6 million for the basegame and a couple of millions for each pack). Then you will know why the PC game is so extremely important to EA and why it has been such a hard struggle for EA to find a way to earn just a little money from the mobile Sims games and the Sims games for consoles too! And you will also understand why EA just refuses to make the Sims Mobile and/or the Sims Freeplay available for Windows and Mac too even though a lot of other free mobile games are available in such versions too because EA don’t want any PC simmers to choose to play a free Sims game instead! :)

It's really funny because all of your statements scream wishful interpretation. :D
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top