Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

How many packs do you think are left ?

LeGardePourpreLeGardePourpre Posts: 15,215 Member
Hi,
  • The Sims: 7 packs
  • The Sims 2: 18 packs + Store: 6 Exclusive Collections (471 items)
  • The Sims 3: 20 packs + Store: 11 worlds, 21 venues, 174 sets and many single items (T-Mobile, Dr. Pepper, Ford, Mystery bags, Limited Edition bonus, ...)

4 years later, The Sims 4 reached 26 packs.
7 years later, The Sims 4 reached 44 packs.

Post edited by LeGardePourpre on

How many packs do you think are left ? 269 votes

Less than 25
48%
Stdlr9rudy8292Erpealexspoom13alan650111Jessa_DakkarAyradyssoveronAlrynnSimburianMeteoraStormLawmayAnmirlarobyngravesBagoas77drake_mccartyalejandro15039Cinebargoodcakebaker62stilljustme2 131 votes
Between 25 and 50
32%
auroraael14CK213icmnfrshKita5399cudleybabysimIceyJaprilroseLomelindi7aelias24MsMayWritin_RegCynnasimgirl1010kimieswildrosesgreydonnLustianiciaJerrellodavina1221RamblineRosePlumbobCrossing 87 votes
Between 50 and 75
13%
LeGardePourpreTutanoMagdaleenaJestTruNivyxsafersaviourcatloverplayerDarcVader1mitchiebanjoashcrash19KhrisstyneCheekybitsrambahadoerK4sieskaanvardar99luxsylvanpuertoricanthangsamsimsSayoLoireTriplis 36 votes
More than 75
5%
Mindofymarcel21chrissramionCAPTAIN_NXR7LoanetTheGoodOldGamerPandaPillowChazzzyjohnjetHarlowandMelazyjuniperLittlesappires462LiaRose1435Brindletonsupermilinka 15 votes

Comments

• MagdaleenaMagdaleena Posts: 973 Member
    Between 50 and 75
    Many.

lil_pixel_boys.png
    they/he
    simblr
  • kaitlyn0kaitlyn0 Posts: 512 Member
    Between 25 and 50
    I doubt we'll get over 50 items
  • LeGardePourpreLeGardePourpre Posts: 15,215 Member
    edited June 2018
    Between 50 and 75
    If they keep on doing 7 packs per year.

If 6 years are left, then 42 packs should be released.
    If 10 years are left, then 70 packs should be released.

A total of 98 packs would mean 56 SP, 28 GP and 14 EP.
  • HarlowandMeHarlowandMe Posts: 231 Member
    More than 75
    I do not think they will make this many, I just do not want them to ever stop making packs for sims 4 lol
  • Kita5399Kita5399 Posts: 2,112 Member
    Between 25 and 50
    In recent tweets the gurus have used the term “years”, but that is a tough call because it could be as little as 2, or 10+? I think it would be maybe 5 tops, technology changes too quickly for it to be much longer I’d guess.
  • ChazzzyChazzzy Posts: 7,166 Member
    More than 75
    I will be an old decrepit man when they stop making packs.
  • BrindletonBrindleton Posts: 415 Member
    More than 75
    The ride never ends
  • keylimepiesimskeylimepiesims Posts: 1,908 Member
    Between 25 and 50
    Mmm 30 more at most, but to be honest now we’re possibly getting a Create a World tool, I’m happy for this game to go on for another 10 years.

Also...
    The Sims 3: 20 packs + Store: 11 worlds, 21 venues, 174 sets

That cannot be right... seriously?? :anguished:
  • 2HubbiesNLove2HubbiesNLove Posts: 658 Member
    Between 25 and 50
    Between 25 and 50... that just sounds more feasible. Unless EA and Maxis has no plans whatsoever to do a Sims 5 and they continue to release content for TS4 as long as there's an audience that will continue buying and playing the game. TS4 was created to be played for high profile PC as well as low profile PC, plus it was originally going to be an online game but with the failed Simcity 2013 and The Sims Online I doubt we will see, that is if we do see a Sims 5, ever being an online game. That's why there's Sims Mobile and Sims Freeplay. Sorry, I totally got off topic.

5 more year lifespan (if we start seeing 2 EPs every 6 to 7 months)- 10 EPs, 10 GPs and 20 SPs; if we continue with 1 EP a year- 5 EPs, 10 GPs and 20 SPs- that, IMO, sounds more realistic- 40 to 35 packs.

A 5+ year lifespan (say 8 years at the most)- 16 EPs or even 8 EPs sounds whacky, on top of 16 GPs (which there are several themes to create a multitude of game packs over the years), but 3 to 4 stuff packs over 8 years- 24 to 32- that's way overwhelming.

So yeah, I'm going to say at least 5 more years putting at 2022/2023, which would give TS4 a life of 10 years in total with 40 to 35 more packs to go. Thank the universe I get a $5.00 raise at the end of the year.
  • ErpeErpe Posts: 5,872 Member
    Less than 25
    TS4 is now 4 yrs old and has got 25 packs. It seems like TS4 still will get new packs even after TS5 (maybe under a different name) is released. But likely not more packs per year. So if TS4 still get packs for 4 more years it will likely be fewer than 25 more packs anyway.

After the release of TS5 (likely as an online multiplayer game) it is difficult to guess for how many years EA still will release packs for TS4. But I don’t think that TS4 packs will sell very well after 4 more years anyway. So I think that maybe 4-5 more years with TS4 packs being released is optimistic enough anyway.
  • 3KNPen3KNPen Posts: 2,825 Member
    Between 25 and 50
    I was torn between this and 50-75. They've talked about having years worth of content still and it's clear that they're following a new model (more like the modern MMORPG model of a long running BG and lots of DLC content that runs a really long time (not that they're going to turn it into an RPG just that they're going to follow that sort of release model) with this game then we've seen in the past, which is something they've said repeatedly as well, so if/when we see Sims 5 I think it's going to be a long while off.

I think it's going to be more of a question of how much can the game handle and still run and how well they can make it work on any upcoming operating systems. And of course how much money they continue to make off of it. People need to get used to this idea and stop expecting Sims 5 to be announced "any second now" because we're probably in for a very long ride with this one.
    ~ ~ ~
    Less than 25
    People refuse to believe that EA even started to develop TS5 shortly after the release of TS4. But then where did all the TS3 developers and the Sims Medieval developers go? (Yes I know that the Salt Lake Studio was closed. But they only developed 4 EPs for TS3 anyway!)

If we simplify things a little then we can assume that all the packs for TS4 have been made by the same devs who developed the Sims 4 basegame in 2009-2010 while other devs made all the SPs and EPs for TS3 and also the Sims Medieval. TS4 doesn’t get more new content per year than TS3 got and apart from the 4 EPs developed in Salt Lake TS3 also got 7 other EPs, a lot of SPs and a lot of new worlds and other new content in the Sims 3 Store.

So if we asssume that the packs for TS4 are developed by the Sims 4 basegame devs then the only place all those TS3 and Medieval devs could be is in the teams for the Sims Mobile and for TS5 - unless they all were fired or moved to EA’s other games. But this never seems to have happened!

Beside that the gurus wouldn’t have refused to to tell us that TS5 wouldn’t be announced soon when they went on twitter anyway because they for some mysterious reason suddenly went on twitter a month just to guarantee that TS4 would get many packs yet! Why did they suddenly become so nervous that we all would believe otherwise? They never were nervous before! My guess clearly is that they wanted to avoid panic when EA soon will officially announce TS5!

Beside that EA has always announced a new big Sims game after 5 years and EA won’t postpone TS5 if it is almost finished anyway because EA knows that new simmers don’t want to start with a big Sims game like TS4 which already has more packs than they ever will be able to afford to buy! New young simmers will likely just switch to other games instead after having tried the Sims Mobile unless EA soon announces a new big Sims game! But EA is way too much big business to ever allow this ;)
  • 2HubbiesNLove2HubbiesNLove Posts: 658 Member
    Between 25 and 50
    Erpe wrote: »
    TS4 is now 4 yrs old and has got 25 packs. It seems like TS4 still will get new packs even after TS5 (maybe under a different name) is released. But likely not more packs per year. So if TS4 still get packs for 4 more years it will likely be fewer than 25 more packs anyway.

After the release of TS5 (likely as an online multiplayer game) it is difficult to guess for how many years EA still will release packs for TS4. But I don’t think that TS4 packs will sell very well after 4 more years anyway. So I think that maybe 4-5 more years with TS4 packs being released is optimistic enough anyway.

Hey Erpe, no disrespect, and I like how optimistic you are, but why do you keep assuming TS5 is just around the corner? I mean, the gurus have said they plan to keep pushing content for 'years'. Why would they continue releasing content for TS4 once a new Sims game surfaced? That's unheard of. Unless you work with Maxis and know more than what the rest of us know, I just don't see TS5 popping up any time soon, or even a Sims 5 at all. Why have 2 teams working on Sims 4 content while having 2 or 3 other teams working on an entirely different game?

I get that you're throwing postivity into the atmosphere with a Sims 5 game, that the gurus have yet to confirm other than saying that they are no where near being finished with TS4 (not exact words). And I highly doubt it would be an online game. Not everyone has access to playing online, many prefer not playing online, so they wouldn't create a game where the entire basis of the game was to be played online. Leave the online play to MMOs and MMORPGs, and the app games. TS4 was originally going to be an online game, Olympus, but they scratched that, got rid of the online feature, and kept it as it is now with the only online feature being the Gallery.

But until the gurus actually make a statement as: "Hey guys, we are working on TS5 but we can't release any info as to when it will be released" all you're doing is giving out a false hope to people who take every word literally, and that's when rumors start. I've read many threads where people have said TS5 was coming out in 2017, this year, or next year, and it's been confirmed that TS4 is still a work-in-progress, more content for years to come. I just really don't see them releasing TS5 and continue releasing expansion packs, game packs, and stuff packs years after another game is released.

There are so many articles on the internet published back to August of 2016 that tease TS5, fake Sims 5 trailer announcements, and in all caps: SIMS 5 WHAT WE KNOW, yet without any factual and confirmed sources. EA and Maxis has said absolutely nothing in regards to a Sims 5. We don't even know if they even play to release a Sims 5. But who knows, maybe they will announce a new literation at E3... or, they may announce more information on what they plan to release this year, since quarter teasers seem to be a sales pitch that has gone astray.

I like the optimism, don't get me wrong, but it's always best to be realistic because hoping and knowing are completely different, and always sets one up for huge disappointment. It's fun speculating but not taking it literally, because you're only setting yourself up with false hopes and then getting let down hard.
  • ChampandGirlieChampandGirlie Posts: 2,482 Member
    I don't know exactly how many packs are left but I think they are heading in a direction of combining PC and console. So, I think TS4 still has some life in it because they are trying to pick up the new players on console. They probably want to do that for a while before they launch TS5, because they still want new players who are intimidated by too many packs to buy on console which still seems kind of new.

I think they've figured out that those young teens are playing on console or mobile. Some of those younger players probably do buy TS4 with the new packs like Pets or Seasons. I'm guessing that they'll release more education and teen-based packs after Seasons to try to draw those players in. Those players might only buy a few packs but they might be drawn in by social media, YouTube and stuff like Twitch.

I know what I've said about TS5 in the past. At this point, I'm just not thinking about it. IRL I've gotten busier, so I don't have time to think about a whole new basegame. Never say never but TS5 probably won't be on my radar right away if at all.

I will be getting Seasons and I will play it in my more limited free time, especially ... cough, cough ... as the seasons change and I have days inside.
    Champ and Girlie are dogs.
  • ChampandGirlieChampandGirlie Posts: 2,482 Member
    I'm also adding that I think Seasons is being released in the summer on PC so that they can release it for the holiday rush on console. It's an example of what I think their strategy is now. They'll release something else as the holiday release for the PC.

They release packs on PC first as a sort of "perk" for old school PC players, to boost sales of the PC version.
    Champ and Girlie are dogs.
    Less than 25

Hey Erpe, no disrespect, and I like how optimistic you are, but why do you keep assuming TS5 is just around the corner? I mean, the gurus have said they plan to keep pushing content for 'years'. Why would they continue releasing content for TS4 once a new Sims game surfaced? That's unheard of. Unless you work with Maxis and know more than what the rest of us know, I just don't see TS5 popping up any time soon, or even a Sims 5 at all. Why have 2 teams working on Sims 4 content while having 2 or 3 other teams working on an entirely different game?
    I think that I already have answered that. But let me just do it once more:
    1. EA has always had different teams working on the Sims games since TS1 was released in 2000. One of those teams has always been working on the next basegame while the other teams were working on packs for the current game.
    2. I think that the next big Sims game (TS5) will be an online multiplayer game of some kind. EA already considered that for TS4 but postponed the idea after the problems with SimCity. But EA still wants all its game to become online game services instead of still being traditional offline games because this seems to be the way for all the game companies to earn more money from their games. (People also thought that EA had given up on the weather when it was disabled in the Sims 2 basegame. But giving up isn’t EA’s style at all!)
    3. If I am right that TS5 will become an online multiplayer game then EA knows that packs still can sell to TS4 simmers too because most of those simmers won’t just switch to TS5 anyway. Also MMO games usually have a much longer life than offline game usually have. So EA doesn’t need to start developing TS6 for several years and can thus use the TS6 devs to instead still develop packs for TS4 instead.
    I get that you're throwing postivity into the atmosphere with a Sims 5 game, that the gurus have yet to confirm other than saying that they are no where near being finished with TS4 (not exact words). And I highly doubt it would be an online game. Not everyone has access to playing online, many prefer not playing online, so they wouldn't create a game where the entire basis of the game was to be played online. Leave the online play to MMOs and MMORPGs, and the app games. TS4 was originally going to be an online game, Olympus, but they scratched that, got rid of the online feature, and kept it as it is now with the only online feature being the Gallery.
    I expect TS5 to be an online game and especially if EA still will make packs “for years to come” like Grant said. The reason why EA always has released a new basegame after 5 years has never been the current simmers and EA of course knows that more than half of those simmers won’t move on to the next basegame anyway when they already have all the packs for the old game. But 13 yrs olds can’t start with an old game that already has about 30 packs or more. Just imagine them now asking their parents to buy TS4 for them and the parents asking: “But doesn’t TS4 has a huge number of packs too? Can you really enjoy TS4 without all those packs?” What should the 13 yrs old answer? (The parents will likely ask the 13 yrs old to just continue to play the Sims Mobile instead until EA releases a new Sims game if the answer is that the huge number of packs are something that the 13 yrs old wishes too!)
    But until the gurus actually make a statement as: "Hey guys, we are working on TS5 but we can't release any info as to when it will be released"
    The gurus can’t say that because they have all signed a contract that forbids them to say anything about unannounced games. Therefore the only thing we know is that EA’s top just talked about big expectations about a yet unannounced game in a recent financial report. But we don’t even know if that game will be a Sims game.

My expectations have never changed because I have for years expected TS5 to be announced in the middle of 2018 and released in the second half of 2020. The new information about TS4 still getting new content for years to come only makes the release date a little more uncertain. But I still expect TS5 to be released in the second half of 2019 or in the beginning of 2020.
  • Jordan061102Jordan061102 Posts: 3,918 Member
    Less than 25

And the price will be really high. ^^
    Lu4ERme.gif
  • marcel21marcel21 Posts: 12,341 Member
    More than 75
    Hi,
    • The Sims: 7 packs
    • The Sims 2: 18 packs + Store: 7 Exclusive Collections (471 items)
    • The Sims 3: 20 packs + Store: 11 worlds, 21 venues, 174 sets and many single items (T-Mobile, Dr. Pepper, Ford, Mystery bags, ...)

4 years later, The Sims 4 reached 26 packs.

could easily see another 75 packs.

after all the content from the sims 3. the sims 4 could easily bring out more.

might take them 10 years to do it mind :#
    Origin ID MichaelUKingdon

edited June 2018
    Between 50 and 75

And the price will be really high. ^^

$560 (56 SP) + $560 (28 GP) + $560 (14 EP) = $1,680 in 14 years but it would still be cheaper than The Sims 3 in 4 years ($500 + Store $1,500)

$1,680 is similar to $10 monthly membership during 14 years.
    edited June 2018
    Between 50 and 75
    The Sims 3: 20 packs + Store: 11 worlds, 21 venues, 174 sets

That cannot be right... seriously?? :anguished:

Based on the Sims3Pack files on my computer:
    • Premium Sets: 1 set (the other sets are also included in the following categories)
    • Activities : 12 sets
    • Classics: 21 sets
    • Fantasy: 19 sets
    • Featured Looks: 7 sets
    • Fun: 24 sets
    • Holidays & Gifts: 32 sets
    • Modern Luxury: 23 sets
    • Travel & World Style: 35 sets
  • samlyt22samlyt22 Posts: 527 Member
    Between 25 and 50
    I expect TS5 to be an online game and especially if EA still will make packs “for years to come” like Grant said. The reason why EA always has released a new basegame after 5 years has never been the current simmers and EA of course knows that more than half of those simmers won’t move on to the next basegame anyway when they already have all the packs for the old game. But 13 yrs olds can’t start with an old game that already has about 30 packs or more. Just imagine them now asking their parents to buy TS4 for them and the parents asking: “But doesn’t TS4 has a huge number of packs too? Can you really enjoy TS4 without all those packs?” What should the 13 yrs old answer? (The parents will likely ask the 13 yrs old to just continue to play the Sims Mobile instead until EA releases a new Sims game if the answer is that the huge number of packs are something that the 13 yrs old wishes too!)

I don't really understand why you think having a lot of DLC available would stop people from buying. I grew up just playing TS1 and TS2 without any other packs. I ended up buying TS3 when it was near the end of its 5 years and therefore had a ton of DLC available. I didn't remotely think anything of it because I was just planning on playing the basegame. Someone new to the sims won't be thinking they need all the packs, they will be thinking that they just need the basegame and can then pick and choose the odd DLC as they want it. As for the 13 year old in your scenario, they would insist to their parents that they don't need all of those packs because they're not stupid and know that they're more likely to get what they want that way. I also don't see why the parent would mind, most parents would only buy something like that for Birthdays and Christmases, doesn't matter if the basegame is new and there are only a few packs released a year or there are a ton of packs and the child picks the one they want most each time. To be honest, I would rather the latter because then I know the child actually wants it. Also a lot of young people will end up watching people playing on YouTube first, in which case the more DLC there is, the more fun the game will look and the more they will want it. The only thing that I could see causing problems in terms of putting off young people, is if the game starts to look outdated, which is why I think they chose the style that they did with TS4. But the amount of DLC? I just don't see that being a problem.
  • HermitgirlHermitgirl Posts: 8,825 Member
    Between 25 and 50
    I'm mostly thinking of the statement they made around the time Dogs and Cats came out to think of this as the second wave.
    I can easily see at least 3 more EP's happening.. and that's just based on the past ones. University, Superstar and Into the Future. I feel they are breaking up vacations and that won't change as well as Supernaturals into EPs. Then I can see new EP's coming based on Farming and other new ideas such as the club system in Get Together. We still need so much to let our little sims do .. what we do in the world.

egTcBMc.png
    Less than 25
    samlyt22 wrote: »

I don't really understand why you think having a lot of DLC available would stop people from buying. I grew up just playing TS1 and TS2 without any other packs. I ended up buying TS3 when it was near the end of its 5 years and therefore had a ton of DLC available. I didn't remotely think anything of it because I was just planning on playing the basegame. Someone new to the sims won't be thinking they need all the packs, they will be thinking that they just need the basegame and can then pick and choose the odd DLC as they want it. As for the 13 year old in your scenario, they would insist to their parents that they don't need all of those packs because they're not stupid and know that they're more likely to get what they want that way. I also don't see why the parent would mind, most parents would only buy something like that for Birthdays and Christmases, doesn't matter if the basegame is new and there are only a few packs released a year or there are a ton of packs and the child picks the one they want most each time. To be honest, I would rather the latter because then I know the child actually wants it. Also a lot of young people will end up watching people playing on YouTube first, in which case the more DLC there is, the more fun the game will look and the more they will want it. The only thing that I could see causing problems in terms of putting off young people, is if the game starts to look outdated, which is why I think they chose the style that they did with TS4. But the amount of DLC? I just don't see that being a problem.
    No, the new young simmers won’t see it as a problem. But their parents will! Parents always try to look forward and predict what will happen later and they will easily be able to see that their 13 yrs old later most likely will want the 30-50 already released packs and all later released packs too! Then they will calculate how much this will cost and then strongly advice their 13 yrs old to look on other games instead until EA maybe will release a new Sims game which will be better to start with!

Simmers here just forget that such young new simmers don’t have the needed money to pay for their games themselves. They need their parents to pay and parents don’t want to use hundreds of dollars on a game for their kid. This is IMO also the reason why SPs sell much better than EPs even though everybody in the forum seem to prefer EPs over SPs.
  • samlyt22samlyt22 Posts: 527 Member
    Between 25 and 50

No, the new young simmers won’t see it as a problem. But their parents will! Parents always try to look forward and predict what will happen later and they will easily be able to see that their 13 yrs old later most likely will want the 30-50 already released packs and all later released packs too! Then they will calculate how much this will cost and then strongly advice their 13 yrs old to look on other games instead until EA maybe will release a new Sims game which will be better to start with!

Simmers here just forget that such young new simmers don’t have the needed money to pay for their games themselves. They need their parents to pay and parents don’t want to use hundreds of dollars on a game for their kid. This is IMO also the reason why SPs sell much better than EPs even though everybody in the forum seem to prefer EPs over SPs.

But the parents would know that when a new game releases, they will bring out DLC that the child will want anyway. Doesn't matter whether the DLC is already released when they buy the basegame or not, it's still the exact same situation. Sure the parent can inform the child that they won't be buying all of the DLC for them but that doesn't mean they can't still get the basegame and the odd pack as gifts if that's what the child wants. Also children get money for their Birthdays, Christmases and many get pocket money so they do have money to buy the game themselves. I suspect the type of parent who would be put off by the amount of DLC that comes with the sims, would be the parent that just never buys them any version of the game because they know it's just a cycle that repeats.
    Less than 25

But the parents would know that when a new game releases, they will bring out DLC that the child will want anyway. Doesn't matter whether the DLC is already released when they buy the basegame or not, it's still the exact same situation. Sure the parent can inform the child that they won't be buying all of the DLC for them but that doesn't mean they can't still get the basegame and the odd pack as gifts if that's what the child wants. Also children get money for their Birthdays, Christmases and many get pocket money so they do have money to buy the game themselves. I suspect the type of parent who would be put off by the amount of DLC that comes with the sims, would be the parent that just never buys them any version of the game because they know it's just a cycle that repeats.
    I agree. But why do you think that EA divides this game in a basegame, a lot of SPs, a lot of GPs and a lot of EPs? Why not just put it all into the basegame and sell it for the total price of maybe something like $800?

The reason of course is that then almost nobody would buy the game! People don’t add up the prices of the basegame and all future packs when they buy the basegame (even if they actually plan to buy (almost) everything). They just take into consideration that they only have to buy the cheap basegame and a couple of packs the first year. Then they see buying more packs next year just as an alternative to buying other games instead. Parents think in the same way. They only consider the price of the already released basegame and packs when their kid asks for permission to buy the game. Then if the kid still is interested next year they will consider what the kid can get then.

But the problem is that if 30 packs already have been released then the parents know that the kid won’t wait a whole year before asking for permission to get more packs. Most likely the kid will ask for new packs al ost every week until the kid has it all. But then the parents want to stop this before it even starts.

Adult casual gamers likely think in about the same way if they now consider to buy the Sims 4 basegame because they know that it will cost them a fortune to get all the released packs. So they will prefer to wait and see if EA won’t release TS5 soon so they instead can buy the packs for this game already when the packs are released.

Just compare this with the difference between buying a new car for cash (where you pay everything immediately) and instead just pay a little when you get the car and then divide the rest of the price over 72 months. People usually strongly prefer to only pay a little at the time :)