Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

It's time to bring in more reaction options like lol, agree and disagree.

Comments

• Options
    comicsforlifecomicsforlife Posts: 9,585 Member
    I don't think the disagree button is a good idea because this forum is for feedback if we don't say why we don't like something we will do no good for the game
    more for sim kids and more drama please
  • Options
    CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    I don't think the disagree button is a good idea because this forum is for feedback if we don't say why we don't like something we will do no good for the game

By that same token, then the like can be removed, too. And they have to explain why they like the post or the opinion. Right? Buttons be gone! lol
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • Options
    comicsforlifecomicsforlife Posts: 9,585 Member
    Cinebar wrote: »

By that same token, then the like can be removed, too. And they have to explain why they like the post or the opinion. Right? Buttons be gone! lol

saying why you like something is more helpful then not thats for sure
    more for sim kids and more drama please
  • Options
    lisasc360lisasc360 Posts: 19,284 Member
    Erpe wrote: »
    Cinebar wrote: »
    The argument for the lol button to return or the disagree is because some people on here really don't have the energy to write out long explanations of why they disagree, or why they thought something was funny. I really don't like thought police.
    I don’t like that either. But that doesn’t mean that I think that anonymous attacks should be allowed either! A disagree button is for me only something that should be allowed if we somehow can see who the person who clicked it is. (A LOL button is for me less of a personal attack but somewhat similar anyway.)

We aren’t allowed to post anonymous personal attacks in news medias or even in personal letter to people either. So why should we have the right to do it here?

I 100% disagree with the bolded part because it can and will cause more problems on this site. And I know this because I was on the receiving end of some of these attacks by others who couldn't handle with being disagreed with. And it was also proven a couple of years ago when we still had the lol button as people had attacked others for hitting lol for some of their postings wasn't funny to deserve those lol's that they were getting.

So at the time, SimGuruDrake posted a thread over in The Forum Announcements stating that they were going to be removed because they were being abused and creating a lot of negative reaction. The thread was created in October 2015.
    SimGuruDrake:
    Hello everyone,

Over the past month I have seen an increase in abuse of the LOL and disagree buttons that is causing a lot of negative reactions within the forums at large. As such I have removed both buttons and will not be adding new buttons at this time.

The buttons are there to help with engagement between yourselves and fellow community members and should not be used to harass users.

Like I stated back in my earlier post about the glitch that allowed others to see who hit what depending on their what internet browser they were using. I think it was people who had Chrome and Firefox as it didn't work on Internet Explorer. All they had to do back then was right click on the button to see who hit that button. Well because of this, some of those members would then go to the members pages who had disagreed with them and call them out on it or take to sending a PM bribing that member to remove their disagree from their posts by saying that they would do the same thing.

Let me give you an example of someone doing that to me.

Back in 2014 when this site first opened up in August, someone had created a thread asking what was going to happen to the simpoint ads that was on the old TS3 site. Well this one member came here claiming that the sponsors was going to move them over to TS4. Well EA had already made an announcement that they weren't going to use simpoints for TS4 and I told that member that and that it would be crazy for the sponsors to move the ads over to a game that wasn't going to be using them. Well he replied back to me stating how dumb I sounded and that of course the sponsors was going to move them over there as that was the newer game and that they wouldn't stay with an older game. So of course I had hit Disagree on his posts stating about the ads moving over to the new game and when he would try to make me sound dumb and try to say that I didn't know what I was talking about. So he took to sending me a PM bribing me to remove the Disagrees that I gave him by saying that he would remove all of the ones that he gave me. Well guess what? I didn't remove those disagrees from his post as I had every right to disagree with his comments about the ads moving to a game that wasn't going to use them. He has since then gone and edited his posts in that thread to delete all of his comments but they are still there in my comments as I had quoted every one of his posts towards me.

I then had others coming over to my page claiming that if I keep disagreeing with some of the comments that I would get banned for it. Well I wasn't abusing the button to be banned from the site anyhow. And once they gave us the ability to remove other members posts/comments from our wall, I removed all of those comments from those people attacking me because they weren't too happy because I disagreed with some of them. And because of it, I had sustained from posting on this site as well as hitting any of the buttons for a while as I just lurked and read posts and went about my business because I didn't want people attacking me for what I believed in.

Having the ability to see who hit what is going to make people not want to be here anymore especially if they're going to get attacked from other members on this site. And I also believe it's the reason why some members had taken to creating their own Sims sites because they wanted to get away from these attacks by other members who can't handle the truth about this game or that game or for whatever other reasons there is.

I believe that the reason why some people couldn't handle being disagreed with was that they were afraid that they would lose points as well as looking bad for having a high Disagree count.

Ever heard of the saying "Be careful what you wish for"? Well wishing for this might prove to be a bad thing especially if you're the one on the receiving end of others attacking you for hitting the Disagree button because you believe that is what someones post deserves.
  • Options
    ReksohReksoh Posts: 303 Member
    IceyJ wrote: »
    Reksoh wrote: »
    I think oversensitivity really gets overused as an argument for everything nowadays. This is simply a matter of abuse. if i get into an argument with someone and they decide they dont like me and disagree on everything I post in the future, i wont be offended... i will just be sad that I cant know how many people actually disagree with me and how many people just dont like me. Then the button ends up not telling me anything useful anyway. Theres just no point for it.

You just described oversensitivity.

I actually didn't. I could have phrased it any other way, but I think everyone but you got the point of what I was trying to say so thats okay!
  • Options
    ErpeErpe Posts: 5,872 Member
    @lisasc360 I think that you misunderstood me because I don’t want those buttons back. I was just saying that to be able to use such buttons and stay anonymous is even worse than it would be if we could see who disagreed with or laughed at our writings.
  • Options
    lisasc360lisasc360 Posts: 19,284 Member
    @lisasc360 I think that you misunderstood me because I don’t want those buttons back. I was just saying that to be able to use such buttons and stay anonymous is even worse than it would be if we could see who disagreed with or laughed at our writings.

@erpe, sorry about that. I was just pointing about my experiences as I do know that there have been people in the past making such suggestions about allowing who can see who hit what in hopes that it would it keep people from abusing the buttons but that it also keeps people from wanting to express their opinion without saying anything at all.

So sorry for the misunderstanding again... :)
  • Options
    lisasc360 wrote: »

@erpe, sorry about that. I was just pointing about my experiences as I do know that there have been people in the past making such suggestions about allowing who can see who hit what in hopes that it would it keep people from abusing the buttons but that it also keeps people from wanting to express their opinion without saying anything at all.

So sorry for the misunderstanding again... :)
    No problem! :)
  • Options
    Rflong7Rflong7 Posts: 36,588 Member

I disagree. This forum isn't for Feedback; This site isn't about Feedback. They had to make a Section to dump topics to keep them out of General.

• Options
    loutredorloutredor Posts: 404 Member
    I actually like the way it works now: you either like a post, love it, or you don't. I don't feel like there is a need for a dislike button, since if you don't like a post, the fact you didn't press "like" speaks for itself in a way.
    However, and I know this is an unpopular opinion, but I would really like it if we could see who liked what. Sometimes I just "like" someone's answer because I feel like nothing more has to be said really, but I wish the person could still see I read their answer and liked it, if you know what I mean.
  • Options
    We can only Like, Awesome, or Insightful a comment. There is no Love or Don't. :)
  • Options
    igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    edited June 2018
    Has anyone suggested this -- how about if we replace all of the buttons with one that says "Monosyllabic Grunt"? Some will hit it because they really couldn't be bothered providing an informative or helpful response, others won't know what it means but will hit it because it sounds cool. Then we won't even need the reply box anymore, taking up all that valuable screen space. Problems solved? :p

I only really became active on these forums the summer before TS4 was released and kept getting hit with Disagrees and flagged as a Spammer, as we had a Spam button back then as well, for attempting to provide tech advice. Was later told this was because I was coming across as "anti-Mac," which is absurd, and in a few cases that I don't know how CC or NRaas mods work, which for those who know where I come from is just as ridiculous although the later added signature line helped in that regard.

That didn't hurt my feelings back then exactly, but it in those contexts the more negative reaction buttons without further discussion provided were a complete waste of time and only added to the confusion and general toxicity of what were then General Discussions and Tech. In some contexts of the forum not having so much to do with tech or supporting other players they can sometimes make sense and be more suitable, but I doubt there is way to make them available so selectively.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net
  • Options
    edited June 2018
    @Rflong7 It's so hard to tell if you're trolling or not sometimes :D
  • Options
    edited June 2018
    @loutredor wrote: »

In what way? Because I don't troll. :confused:

*Talking about the buttons we can only give an Insightful, Like, or Awesome. Can't dislike, can't disagree, nor Love.
    **Nor give a Cookie but I'm working on it.
  • Options
    edited June 2018
    @Rflong7 wrote: »

*Talking about the buttons we can only give an Insightful, Like, or Awesome. Can't dislike, can't disagree, nor Love.

Oh well then. What I meant is, pressing "awesome" means you love a post. Not pressing any button means you don't like nor love (nor insightful nor cookie) the post.
  • Options
    ChazzzyChazzzy Posts: 7,166 Member
    A disagree is just as important as a Like, Awesome, or Insightful. The world is way too sensitive these days.

Maybe they should just have a thumbs up, a thumbs down, and an LOL button. Keep things simple.
  • Options
    IceyJIceyJ Posts: 4,641 Member
    Chazzzy wrote: »
    A disagree is just as important as a Like, Awesome, or Insightful. The world is way too sensitive these days.

Maybe they should just have a thumbs up, a thumbs down, and an LOL button. Keep things simple.

I agree. Only we'll never have Lol back because people feel like they're being laughed at. Too many feelings nowadays.
  • Options

Oh well then. What I meant is, pressing "awesome" means you love a comment. Not pressing any button means you don't like nor love nor insightful nor cookie the comment.

No, Awesome just means Awesome. Not love, not Like, not anything other than Awesome. If you see something else in a word than what it is, then no word has any meaning. :)

Not pressing could mean anything- from indifferent to "I don't care," to "I really don't want to get into this again." So, just because there are no buttons pressed on a comment- it doesn't mean anything.
    Just like pressing the little button means nothing. It's just a button.-- it's an ego trip to both the presser and the pressie. A little validation in our lives.

Me, I smiled with the disagree because I at least know someone read it. My little ego is bumped a bit. :lol:
  • Options

Oh well then. What I meant is, pressing "awesome" means you love a comment. Not pressing any button means you don't like nor love nor insightful nor cookie the comment.

No, Awesome just means Awesome. Not love, not Like, not anything other than Awesome. If you see something else in a word than what it is, then no word has any meaning. :)

Not pressing could mean anything- from indifferent to "I don't care," to "I really don't want to get into this again." So, just because there are no buttons pressed on a comment- it doesn't mean anything.
    Just like pressing the little button means nothing. It's just a button.-- it's an ego trip to both the presser and the pressie. A little validation in our lives.

Me, I smiled with the disagree because I at least know someone read it. My little ego is bumped a bit. :lol:

That is a nice philosophy and all but... there is a little heart on the Awesome button which clearly is the symbol for love. Words are not the only thing to carry meaning :)
    Also if we think that way, the cookie button would just mean you think the post is a cookie, not that you want to give a cookie to the poster. Which is possible, of course, although a very uncommon reaction.
  • Options
    edited June 2018
    loutredor wrote: »

That is a nice philosophy and all but... there is a little heart on the Awesome button which clearly is the symbol for love. Words are not the only thing to carry meaning :)
    Also if we think that way, the cookie button would just mean you think the post is a cookie, not that you want to give a cookie to the poster. Which is possible, of course, although a very uncommon reaction.

Of course you just want to give the post a Cookie, where's the uncommon in that? It deserves a cookie... but then Insightful means I'm watching you because of the eye? :lol:

*A heart is just a heart so be careful thinking it means someone loves it/you online.
  • Options
    IceyJIceyJ Posts: 4,641 Member
    edited June 2018
    IceyJ wrote: »
    I think oversensitivity really gets overused as an argument for everything nowadays. This is simply a matter of abuse. if i get into an argument with someone and they decide they dont like me and disagree on everything I post in the future, i wont be offended... i will just be sad that I cant know how many people actually disagree with me and how many people just dont like me. Then the button ends up not telling me anything useful anyway. Theres just no point for it.

You just described oversensitivity.

I actually didn't. I could have phrased it any other way, but I think everyone but you got the point of what I was trying to say so thats okay!

I know what you were trying to say. But all you did was show that oversensitivity is why we can't have nice things. It shouldn't even matter to you how many people online actually agree with/don't agree/like/don't like you. Why should it matter that the number isn't 'accurate,' in your opinion? It's not that serious.
  • Options
    ZeeGeeZeeGee Posts: 5,356 Member
    EA_Mage wrote: »
    But as always, we are open to feedback, so if you have good arguments for reactions other than the current ones to be made available, please don't hesitate to let us know.

Thanks,
    -Mage

Thank you! So there's hope! I don't care about the agree or disagree. If I agree I hit like, if I disagree I move on. However, I really miss the LOL. Here is my very convincing argument for bringing back the LOL:
    igazor wrote: »
    Has anyone suggested this -- how about if we replace all of the buttons with one that says "Monosyllabic Grunt"? Some will hit it because they really couldn't be bothered providing an informative or helpful response, others won't know what it means but will hit it because it sounds cool. Then we won't even need the reply box anymore, taking up all that valuable screen space. Problems solved? :p

I now challenge you all to copy/paste here when someone makes a hilarious comment that makes you spit coffee all over your monitor....pleeeaase
  • Options
    bekkasanbekkasan Posts: 10,171 Member
    ZeeGee wrote: »
    EA_Mage wrote: »
    But as always, we are open to feedback, so if you have good arguments for reactions other than the current ones to be made available, please don't hesitate to let us know.

Thanks,
    -Mage

Thank you! So there's hope! I don't care about the agree or disagree. If I agree I hit like, if I disagree I move on. However, I really miss the LOL. Here is my very convincing argument for bringing back the LOL:
    igazor wrote: »

I now challenge you all to copy/paste here when someone makes a hilarious comment that makes you spit coffee all over your monitor....pleeeaase

LOL
  • Options
    I agree that LOL would be a nice button to have when somebody writes something funny that clearly is intended as a joke. But the problem with it is that LOL can and will be misused when people write something serious that somebody disagree with and hits LOL with the intention to mark the message as ridiculous. Therefore I don’t want this button and also because we can’t really see if it is used friendly or the opposite when somebody suddenly use it on a long message.
  • Options
    edited June 2018
    Rflong7 wrote: »
    loutredor wrote: »

Of course you just want to give the post a Cookie, where's the uncommon in that? It deserves a cookie... but then Insightful means I'm watching you because of the eye? :lol:

*A heart is just a heart so be careful thinking it means someone loves it/you online.

I think you misread my post because that is not what I said :)
    Anyway I just wanted to explain my post a little bit better in case it wasn't as clear as I thought, since English is not my first language. But I think it was actually very clear from the start.
    I don't know what your story with the word "love" is and why it seems like such a strong word for you, but "loving" can actually just mean "liking a lot". I love chocolate and I can assure you it is not as life changing as it sounds.

In any case tbh I don't really care if the "awesome" button means you like a post a lot or you just awesome it, whatever that means. I was more interested in the anonymous aspect of it and the fact I would like it better if it wasn't, so that people could see when I read and liked their posts without always having to write sth to aknowledge it.

Edit: also "insightful" has a light and not an eye on it when you are on a phone. I had never realized before this discussion that the symbols were different!
    Post edited by loutredor on