Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Elevators Can't Be Used Inside Individual Apartments?

CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
Bummer :/ I recently found out if I try to place an elevator inside an apartment( not common area) the game will throw an error that there isn't an apartment and things need to be fixed. I have forgotten the specific message. I didn't even realize this all these years. I was trying to build an apartment building where Sims had to use elevators inside their own apartments to get to their upper level rooms. :( THe game won't allow it.
"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

Comments

• BMSOBMSO Posts: 3,273 Member
    It allows it on residential lots. I don't see why it would't an apartment?
    Bmso85's emporium - mysims4studios

• Rflong7Rflong7 Posts: 36,588 Member
    I never tried it for personal apartments. Interesting to know it won't work. :(
  • JULES1111JULES1111 Posts: 4,489 Member
    I never tried this either. Though I guess it makes sense because apartments can only have a single entrance/exit. The elevator would be like another entrance yes?
  • CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    edited June 2018
    JULES1111 wrote: »
    I never tried this either. Though I guess it makes sense because apartments can only have a single entrance/exit. The elevator would be like another entrance yes?

Nope, if you place one inside an apartment then try to change it to apartmentbase it won't allow it. I built two units on like a 1x2 and was going to have an elevator in each one to get to their upstairs bedrooms etc. because didn't have room for stairs or spiral staircase. Guess they use a ladder. :p ETA: Wait, that would be a yep not a nope. lol I'm half awake.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • Scribal_GoddessScribal_Goddess Posts: 748 Member
    When you convert a lot into apartments, the game checks that the entire area "behind" an apartment door is enclosed by fences or walls. If, for example, a stair leads down off a deck, the game counts this outdoor stair as being unenclosed on one of the floors even if the garden it leads down to is fenced.

My guess is that, because an elevator is a modular object instead of a single object like a stairs, they didn't program it in to be allowed because it would complicate the check for converting apartments.
    Patron Goddess of Newbs and Ninnyhammers.
    TS2 Graphics Fix Tutorial]
  • CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    edited June 2018
    When you convert a lot into apartments, the game checks that the entire area "behind" an apartment door is enclosed by fences or walls. If, for example, a stair leads down off a deck, the game counts this outdoor stair as being unenclosed on one of the floors even if the garden it leads down to is fenced.

My guess is that, because an elevator is a modular object instead of a single object like a stairs, they didn't program it in to be allowed because it would complicate the check for converting apartments.

I hated when they leave out OFB to the new later EPs. Or Seasons from the Kitchen and Bath pack (originally) etc.