The latest update for The Sims 4 is now live. Click here to read the latest notes.
Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

New Build feature: Put Decorations on Fences

FreezerBunnyCowplantFreezerBunnyCowplant Posts: 3,957 Member
Did you guys notice the new build feature coming with this pack?
We can now put decorations like small flags, pine garlands and light strings on any fence.
Here are some examples from the trailer:
h695C5K.jpg
G4EQXAd.jpg

Look at the picture below, the stone fence is decorated with light strings:
DeAFsKNU8AAd0VZ.jpg
a256aFi.gif

Comments

• lexus20lexus20 Posts: 1,302 Member
    I noticed this during this part of the trailer, but I assumed they had just used the moveobjects cheat:
    19fKhG4.png
  • Paigeisin5Paigeisin5 Posts: 2,139 Member
    Good eye, lexus20, I totally missed that garden hose. And the fact we will be able to decorate fences and porch railings was another surprise. The team did an excellent job of adding little things that will make the game more visually appealing. I spend a lot of time on my own yard and house decorating for holidays and seasons so I am going to be very, very busy with that and decorating my Sims homes.
  • AnmirlaAnmirla Posts: 3,836 Member
    What's sad is - I noticed the garden hose hanging on the fence and thought "Oh, nice decor. I love it!" Not once did it cross my mind "OMG we can hang stuff on fences now!"
    I'm so embarrassed. :o
    baby%20bat_zpsgzvzhrnc.gif
  • luthienrisingluthienrising Posts: 37,628 Member
    lexus20 wrote: »
    I noticed this during this part of the trailer, but I assumed they had just used the moveobjects cheat:

I can't believe it never occurred to me to do that.
    EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.
  • MarnettiMarnetti Posts: 1,047 Member
    You can hang small things on your fences, like the garden hose. I've done it before
    ~I just like lifestates. Is that too much to ask for?~
    tumblr_p4xbgrS3wO1tltr42o1_500.gif
  • BrindletonBrindleton Posts: 415 Member
    edited May 2018
    I thought those were just new fence swatches that have decorations on them. If we can actually decorate fences now, that would be cool!
  • HermitgirlHermitgirl Posts: 8,825 Member
    It all looks gorgeous to me. I especially love the lights on the stone fence in Windenburg. I'm assuming it's a built in feature and not a MOO cheat though. I hate trying to play with stuff that has been over MOO'd. I wouldn't be disappointed with much but would be disappointed to find I had to cheat to actually do this. This could be a reason for the fences not going to the edge of the land (other than using gates on them).
    egTcBMc.png
  • 06Bon0606Bon06 Posts: 11,614 Member
    I'm going to guess that it is like the string lights in sims 3, click on it and choose the option and it'll be added to the fence. I hope so.
  • LoanetLoanet Posts: 4,079 Member
    I dunno. You can do a lot of things with Move Objects... However it sure would be nice to hang things automatically. I went to a lot of difficulty, hanging lights from every edge of a resturaunt I made.
    Prepping a list of mods to add after Infants are placed into the game. Because real life isn't 'nice'.
  • HermitgirlHermitgirl Posts: 8,825 Member
    Yoko2112 wrote: »
    Brindleton wrote: »
    I thought those were just new fence swatches that have decorations on them. If we can actually decorate fences now, that would be cool!

But we already can. Not with a lot of objects but the garden hose is a prime example of one. This is not a new feature.

The only thing I can find that snaps too is the hose so far. I tried other lights, garlands ect. What else can be used like this? I want to use it lol.
    egTcBMc.png
  • ysa88ysa88 Posts: 260 Member
    Hermitgirl wrote: »
    Yoko2112 wrote: »
    Brindleton wrote: »

But we already can. Not with a lot of objects but the garden hose is a prime example of one. This is not a new feature.

The only thing I can find that snaps too is the hose so far. I tried other lights, garlands ect. What else can be used like this? I want to use it lol.

I'm sure the sun wall decor can go on a fence. It's only certain fences though.
    simblr

ea id: ysa_88
  • CoteDAzurCoteDAzur Posts: 610 Member
    Well you could do this anyway with moveobjects, raise with alt+9 and position holding alt so it moves off the grid - But a snap to fence feature would be handy too, to speed up the process.
  • GirlhawkGirlhawk Posts: 3 New Member
    So I am having some troubles with this tho... I am not sure if this is supposed to be like this, but I have decorations, like flags and lights on my fences and roofs ALL THE TIME!!! They change colour with seasons and special holidays... I think this is normal?? But I don't want it :(
    Is there a way to turn this off?? Or is this a glitch? If it is normal am I the only one who is annoyed by this?? It messes up my houses :'(
  • SimmervilleSimmerville Posts: 11,654 Member
    Girlhawk wrote: »
    So I am having some troubles with this tho... I am not sure if this is supposed to be like this, but I have decorations, like flags and lights on my fences and roofs ALL THE TIME!!! They change colour with seasons and special holidays... I think this is normal?? But I don't want it :(
    Is there a way to turn this off?? Or is this a glitch? If it is normal am I the only one who is annoyed by this?? It messes up my houses :'(

It's normal, and you are not the only one thinking it's too much.

To get rid of it you must buy the decor boxes, click the object to "take down decor". If you play rotating, you will find the decor might be back up next time you enter a house, but it can be taken down again. I don't think you can remove it from your neighbor, without entering the house and buy those decor boxes. Wish there was a general setting per save, allowing us to reduce the decor hysteria without having to enter each house, LOL.
    Simmerville on Youtube | My blog is updated weekly: Simmerville's Sims<br>a.jpg
  • gummybear0724gummybear0724 Posts: 1,146 Member
    Girlhawk wrote: »

It's normal, and you are not the only one thinking it's too much.

To get rid of it you must buy the decor boxes, click the object to "take down decor". If you play rotating, you will find the decor might be back up next time you enter a house, but it can be taken down again. I don't think you can remove it from your neighbor, without entering the house and buy those decor boxes. Wish there was a general setting per save, allowing us to reduce the decor hysteria without having to enter each house, LOL.

You actually can turn the decorations off! Go into the calendar and edit the holiday. There will be an option to change the decoration type, and there you can select none. But you can still put them up manually if you choose.
  • SailorCetiSailorCeti Posts: 807 Member
    I noticed completely by accident. I went to place a seed on the ground so Drucilla could plant it, but it ended up on the fencing. Haha!
    This game needs more Sailor Moon!

Hold SHIFT while using the FRIEZE tool to apply it to a single wall, and not an entire room!

** SailorCeti's Builds **

If you download one of my builds, by all means, leave me a message and tell me what you did and did not like about it.
  • GirlhawkGirlhawk Posts: 3 New Member
    > @gummybear0724 said:
    > Simmerville wrote: »
    >
    > Girlhawk wrote: »
    >
    > So I am having some troubles with this tho... I am not sure if this is supposed to be like this, but I have decorations, like flags and lights on my fences and roofs ALL THE TIME!!! They change colour with seasons and special holidays... I think this is normal?? But I don't want it :(
    > Is there a way to turn this off?? Or is this a glitch? If it is normal am I the only one who is annoyed by this?? It messes up my houses :'(
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > It's normal, and you are not the only one thinking it's too much.
    >
    > To get rid of it you must buy the decor boxes, click the object to "take down decor". If you play rotating, you will find the decor might be back up next time you enter a house, but it can be taken down again. I don't think you can remove it from your neighbor, without entering the house and buy those decor boxes. Wish there was a general setting per save, allowing us to reduce the decor hysteria without having to enter each house, LOL.
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > You actually can turn the decorations off! Go into the calendar and edit the holiday. There will be an option to change the decoration type, and there you can select none. But you can still put them up manually if you choose.

Thank you very much!!! I figured you could, cuz when I went to a different home I didn't have it at all! :D
  • CellistinaCellistina Posts: 84 Member
    CoteDAzur wrote: »
    Well you could do this anyway with moveobjects, raise with alt+9 and position holding alt so it moves off the grid - But a snap to fence feature would be handy too, to speed up the process.

Woah = *mind blown*!! I've been looking everywhere for tips like this for building and just happened to stumble on your comment through a search engine. It's now 2021 and I just wanted to thank you for your life altering post lol.

So.... asking for a friend, but would you happen to have anymore tips like this? :)