Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Seasons: Snow Depth and Accumulation?

Comments

• Options
    GoldmoldarGoldmoldar Posts: 11,966 Member
    rudy8292 wrote: »
    jackjack_k wrote: »
    Honestly, I’m happy for this reason:

Realism vs Gameplay

Basically, while it’s realistic for Snow to be thick, it meant it was harder to actually play the game because you would lose objects in the snow.
    It also drained FPS heavily in both The Sims 2 and 3, when all it added was some minor realism with no real advantage.

What are the pros? More realistic snow.
    What are the cons? Potential lag, annoyances and reduced user experience.

Nope, scrap it.

I will however be concerned if it’s on-screen effects rather than actual rain and snow. A rain or snow filter doesn’t fly with me in 2018, and is painfully obvious.

I get what you are saying about potential lag, I do, but there are also many people playing the Sims on a high end gaming rig, and personally I had enough of the ''performance'' excuses for lower end systems. Instead of upping the quality for higher end systems by even a setting or what not, gives people with decent systems more to play with and people with older systems can just experience the same but with slight differences.

also I am hoping there are also various intensities of rain and snow. I loved Seasons in Sims 3, I mean, the weather effects in Sims 3 were so good. I just hope they have the same weather system where it's slowly clearing up and the rain/snow slowly/gradually stops etc.

I know this is just a trailer and there are probably more things to talk about on this subject, but ugh. I just want to know what we're in for.
    I agree however, I wish the game could scale up or scale down according to the specs of each machine like other games can. The game appears to be tailored for the lowest end systems. I basically gave up on Sims 4 pushing my systems to the max because EA/Maxis is playing it safe.
    Omen by HP Intel®️ Core™️ i9- 12900K W/ RGB Liquid Cooler 32GB Nvidia RTX 3080 10Gb ASUS Ultra-Wide 34" Curved Monitor. Omen By HP Intel® Core™ i7-12800HX 32 GB Nvidia 3070 Ti 8 GB 17.3 Screen
  • Options
    JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    edited May 2018
    I was exactly wondering that (OP) seeing this in the trailer:

5h0JGKJ.png

I don't see anything happening in the snow there. Which is the point of making snow angels isn't it? (it's not a habit over here, in fact Sims was my first encounter with it)
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    RebbilinaRebbilina Posts: 377 Member
    JoAnne65 wrote: »

5h0JGKJ.png

I don't see anything happening in the snow there. Which is the point of making snow angels isn't it? (it's not a habit over here, in fact Sims was my first encounter with it)

How do you not see that snow angel? I don’t have my glasses on and I still see it
  • Options
    keylimepiesimskeylimepiesims Posts: 1,908 Member

5h0JGKJ.png

You can see a slight impression of a snow angel on the floor, and I assume it will be a 3D mesh on top of the flat terrain to give the illusion of depth.
  • Options
    jackjack_kjackjack_k Posts: 8,601 Member

Realism vs Gameplay

Basically, while it’s realistic for Snow to be thick, it meant it was harder to actually play the game because you would lose objects in the snow.
    It also drained FPS heavily in both The Sims 2 and 3, when all it added was some minor realism with no real advantage.

Nope, scrap it.

I will however be concerned if it’s on-screen effects rather than actual rain and snow. A rain or snow filter doesn’t fly with me in 2018, and is painfully obvious.

Seems like we hear "but there's less lag" every time Sims 4 is missing a feature.

Yeah, there's less lag in Pong too. Guess I should go play Pong instead of Sims 4.

It depends.

The Sims 2 was an awfully straight forward engine for it's time (the console games were more complex in a lot of aspects, especially in the Weather department) however, the game would struggle with thick snow accumulation. The Sims 3 also had a lot of FPS drops.

I rarely blame things on lag (eg. closed world isn't a lag issue, progressive loading would stop lag anyway) but in this case, lag is an issue. Snow will always be a hard thing to render in games without causing sluggish gameplay, and personally FPS drops with the click and drag camera system of the Sims, is even worse than 3rd or 1st person.
  • Options
    GamingTweetyGamingTweety Posts: 851 Member
    Maybe the accumulation won't be there at the release, maybe they will just update it remember the ballpit from toddler stuff.
    Gallery id: GamingTweety

Looking for some custom animations? Check out my youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKrWaxowK2vCzwkz6bEZRbg

Deviantart profile: https://gamingtweety.deviantart.com/
  • Options
    MeskenasBoiiMeskenasBoii Posts: 39 Member
    > @JoAnne65 said:
    > I was exactly wondering that (OP) seeing this in the trailer:
    >
    >
    >
    > I don't see anything happening in the snow there. Which is the point of making snow angels isn't it? (it's not a habit over here, in fact Sims was my first encounter with it)

That's looks so uncomfortable. Than again, the sim wouldn't care as all it would feel "Happy" because omg snows have aura or there's little depth, quite literally, to even consider integrating such emotion to a new mechanic (that, and EA wouldn't admit that the weather mechanic is so flawed and embarrassing).
  • Options
    FluorescentSoapFluorescentSoap Posts: 1,472 Member
    Ah Sims4, always has to lack somewhere :(
    tumblr_inline_oqdvr8Z3jV1qbd7br_540.gif
    ⌠ Team Holy Hêll ⌡ [Currently playing TS4]
  • Options
    MidnightAuraMidnightAura Posts: 5,809 Member
    Rebbilina wrote: »

5h0JGKJ.png

How do you not see that snow angel? I don’t have my glasses on and I still see it
    I don't...? Is it my desktop? Though I was watching the trailer on my iPad when I first noticed it. It certainly doesn't look like this anyway:

Jjxbbu1.jpg

Apparently this is what people do it for:

1-snow2520angel.jpg

Maybe it is my eyes failing though.

Oh dear, comparing it to the sims 3 version shows it to be poor. The sims 2 had proper snow angels too.
  • Options
    SimTrippySimTrippy Posts: 7,651 Member
    beville wrote: »
    This shouldn't surprise anyone there's always something messed up about the Sims 4 expansion pack.
    This shouldn't surprise anyone there's always something messed up about the Sims 4 expansion pack.

But if everything else about the pack is as good as it seems, I'm still okay with this one limitation. I'd rather have snow that works well with a limited engine (and might have taken them a long time to get to work properly and code into existing worlds and sim behavior) than no snow at all.

Still, as much as I find criticism important, I feel that on this forum people will always find one thing to pick on and then declare the whole pack a disappointment because of it.

Compared to the uninspired mess MFPS was, this pack is ... delightful so far. :)
  • Options
    loutredorloutredor Posts: 404 Member
    I have to admit, the trailer looks very promising gameplay-wise, but the accent clearly wasn't put on the immersivity of weather and seasons.
    Of course, we can't know for sure yet if snow doesn't accumulate until we have more info. But if it turns out to be simple terrain paint with no texture to it, I'm going to be so disappointed.
    As for the frosted windows that we had in Sims 3, I know it doesn't happen that often in real life, but it added a visual element to evoke the temperature outside which I really liked. I hope even if the windows don't change in Sims 4, there will be enough visual and sound effects to render the atmosphere efficiently.
    From what I saw in this first trailer, I can't said I am impressed with the atmosphere, but then again, it is just one short trailer. Only time will tell if those seasons are better than they seem in the video.

At least for once I can say I am very excited for the added gameplay, which hasn't happened for Sims 4 since toddlers and parenthood! I'm definitely going to have a kiddie pool in every house I ever play in.
  • Options
    bevillebeville Posts: 1,151 Member
    edited May 2018
    Don't get me wrong I'm excited about the Sims 4 season, it just that something don't look right about it. :( I feel like there's going to be a lot that is missing from the Sims 4 compared to the Sims 2 and 3.
    Maybe in the future they will release a patch to upgrade the snow. :/

Post edited by beville on
  • Options
    SimTrippySimTrippy Posts: 7,651 Member
    rudy8292 wrote: »
    SimTrippy wrote: »

But if everything else about the pack is as good as it seems, I'm still okay with this one limitation. I'd rather have snow that works well with a limited engine (and might have taken them a long time to get to work properly and code into existing worlds and sim behavior) than no snow at all.

Still, as much as I find criticism important, I feel that on this forum people will always find one thing to pick on and then declare the whole pack a disappointment because of it.

Compared to the uninspired mess MFPS was, this pack is ... delightful so far. :)

This is Seasons, a weather EP. Is it too much to ask for proper weather and all the effects that go with it?

Even the Sims 2 had snow depth, the Sims 3 took it even further by adding snow accumulation and gradually melting of snow. Why does this game always has to have some weird limit?

Yes, I am disappointed with the missing snow depth and accumulation (at least it looks there is none in the trailer). That does not mean it's a complete bad pack. It just means I am disappointed that yet another very obvious key element (at least I think it is) is dumbed down for whatever reason they had..

We're in 2018, not 1990. The tech IS available.

They get criticism where they deserve it.

They get criticism for every glimpse of content they dare to show xD

Like I said somewhere, of course it would be best if the snow was perfect, but this focus on any possible negative element before we've seen more than a, what, 20 second trailer, can get a little tiring. You don't actually know yet how the seasons will work exactly.

I think there is snow accumulation and I hope seasons will change gradually. On origin they mention that seasons change dynamically, so given how festivals don't appear and disappear all at once, I'm hoping seasons won't just come on and go in the blink of an eye. Do I know that? No. Will I express disappointment and criticism before I know? No.

I'm not at all disagreeing that the seasons need to be well done. Seasons is the EP I've been waiting for the entire time, this is the one and only EP I have always wanted (and witches), and I personally think it looks like it will be a great addition. Will it be perfect? I doubt it. But I also no longer expect that from TS4 xD as long as they don't drop utter crap like MFPS on me, I'm willing to hold off on my judgment before I know more.
  • Options
    AlbaWaterhouseAlbaWaterhouse Posts: 3,953 Member
    I guess it's due to the lack of a terrain tool in game. At least when it comes to the floor level, and then I assume they didn't want to make the snow have real depth on roofs since it would look odd when compared to the floor.

The difference between TS3 snow angels and the one we see in this trailer is very telling.
    Origin ID is: AlbaWaterhouse
    All my creations are CC free.
  • Options
    keylimepiesimskeylimepiesims Posts: 1,908 Member
    I guess it's due to the lack of a terrain tool in game. At least when it comes to the floor level, and then I assume they didn't want to make the snow have real depth on roofs since it would look odd when compared to the floor.

The difference between TS3 snow angels and the one we see in this trailer is very telling.

I disagree, this is the least they should have done, you probably wouldn't notice the lack of depth on the ground so much if the roofs looked better, look at those horrible sharp angles on the picture above!
  • Options
    AlbaWaterhouseAlbaWaterhouse Posts: 3,953 Member

I disagree, this is the least they should have done, you probably wouldn't notice the lack of depth on the ground so much if the roofs looked better, look at those horrible sharp angles on the picture above!

I disagree too, but I was just trying to get in their minds and guess what their explanation/excuse will be.
    Origin ID is: AlbaWaterhouse
    All my creations are CC free.
  • Options
    Pamtastic72Pamtastic72 Posts: 4,545 Member

Realism vs Gameplay

Nope, scrap it.

Yes, this too. They already had to up the specs for C&D making it so lots of simmers had to upgrade computer equipment to keep playing, it would seem unreasonable I think to up them again less than a year later.
  • Options
    DeservedCriticismDeservedCriticism Posts: 2,251 Member
    peach1red wrote: »
    That's a minor detail, I'm sure the overall content will make up for it.

What other brave new content have they actually shown...?

The lightning thing is already confirmed to NOT be a lifestate.
    Pretty much all of the objects shown have been done before in the past, save for the "kiddie pool" being awkwardly used by adults.
    There's already less snow activities than we once had (snowboarding, igloos), just like how we got less pets with the last pack.

The new content named is basically the scouts and making your own holiday. I'm calling it now that the "make your own holiday" thing just recycles the interface from clubs, and leaving scouts as the last thing that could potentially deliver loads of new content...? Yeah, I somehow can't picture it being that amazing that it can distract from the rest of the lacking content.

This is the canary in the coalmine. It's not just about how a lack of snow depth or snow buildup sucks (people keep linking the pics from Sims 2 for example. The thing is, Sims 2 and 3 were capable of having both snow layers as thin as Sims 4 as well as heavy layers of it. It made for a nice variety), but about how this is just a hint of things to come...or rather, a hint of the lack of things to come.

Every single time one of these trailers + blogposts releases, I argue that "if there were something else amazing worth showing off, they would've included it," and every single time that proves to be sound logic. We've yet to see a single occassion where shortly before release they screamed "SURPRISE!!" and they were somehow hiding a major feature. The fact of the matter is that this trailer didn't really show anything new and the seasons themselves even managed to look particularly weak.
    "Who are you, that do not know your history?"
  • Options
    tinacolada00tinacolada00 Posts: 409 Member
    oP: Was this confirmed?
  • Options
    MidnightAuraMidnightAura Posts: 5,809 Member
    How do we know scouts isn't like the volunteering in parenthood? Aka a rabbit hole?
    Do we know if the pack is going to require a specification upgrade?
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top