Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Sim can't skill charisma?

My sim is level 4 in charisma but I can't get him past that. When I make him read the charisma book vol 2 (he cant use vol 3 yet) he opens it, reads for about a second then closes the book. When I practice a speech it's the same, he does it for about a second. His needs are fine, but this is making the job difficult because he is an actor and needs level 7 charisma, but i can't even get past 4 now. Are there any known fixes?

Comments

• suzsessuzses Posts: 2,433 Member
    First thing that comes to mind is does he have enough friends to get past level 4 charisma? I've had what you describe happen, but I always get a message that the sim doesn't have the required number of friends for whatever the next charisma level is. The bar for level 4 would be about full in that case and can't move on to level 5.
    Ackney-upon-Sherne Collab on the forum here
    My Sims 3 Studio
    My forum builds thread
  • Hawkflight1066Hawkflight1066 Posts: 245 Member
    Charisma is a bit of a swine. You can't just read a book to get it. Any more than you can read all the fishing books to get skilled. You have to go out and chat to other sims....
    And chat
    And chat
    yawnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn. It's EXTREMLY time consuming and annoying if you're trying to get a whole household of sims doing some skill building, because you have to stick with your chatty sim and keep clicking the chat selections. Charisma is a tedious skill.

If your sim is very scientific.... well I use the brain enhancer function on the science chair thingy to get more skills points in various things which are boring to do the long way. Charisma is one of those skills which can be advanced using that chair.....
  • igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    edited June 2018
    I have never had any trouble building the Charisma skill once my sims get as far as Level 1 by reading the skills book or taking a class unless that sim happens to live entirely alone. Just chatting with those whom they live with daily is usually enough to put them on the right path without taking too much time away from their daily routines. Siblings are even easier, before homework they should be talking to each other about how their school day was, about the sports game they saw, the weather, or whatever. That is, assuming these siblings can stand the sight of each other. ;)

I'm always surprised to hear of players struggling with that skill and have to wonder why we see it so differently. It's one that I think EA made far too easy to advance through, as compared to TS1 and (reportedly) TS2.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net
  • puzzlezaddictpuzzlezaddict Posts: 1,877 Member
    igazor wrote: »
    I'm always surprised to hear of players struggling with that skill and have to wonder why we see it so differently. It's one that I think EA made far too easy to advance through, as compared to TS1 and (reportedly) TS2.

I think it's because a sim gains skills faster when talking to another sim than when reading (and it's usually more fun). Short friendly or funny interactions are so much more efficient than sitting down with a book. Plus, you can work towards the friend requirement at the same time. Think of what a drag it would be to read for a few hours, then try to build a friendship or two from scratch while gaining no skill if the sim needs more friends to advance, then read for a few more hours, etc. On the other hand, as you said, adults and teens can practice charisma on their family members while meeting the early friend requirements through school or work. Not to mention, sims learn faster when they're happy. A home on a beautiful lot with expensive furniture and maybe some good music is going to put a sim in a better mood than sitting alone in one of the cheap library chairs.

Then again, I guess any skill can be a drag if you resent having to pursue it. But at least this isn't TS1, where sims needed large numbers of friends to get the last few promotions at work, even if none of those friends were their boss or colleagues.
  • Hawkflight1066Hawkflight1066 Posts: 245 Member
    Lol, Sims 1! Oh those days of trying to get to be Mayor. Needing what was it - 21 friends or something. I used to achieve that by having my aspiring mayor be present in about five households at once, chatting them up. It was so hard to stop the friendships decaying. Eventually the coveted promotion would be achieved after hours of effort. And I'd be exhausted. I can't remember now how I did that, it's been so long since I played Sims 1.