Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Commiserate with me...

I just lost THREE MONTHS of gameplay because of corrupted save. I am so devastated. It was easily my favorite family so far. I'm going to try to cheat the crap out of the last save I have access to to make it as close as I can get to where I was. In the meantime, can anyone tell me how to backup my saves so this doesnt happen again? Literally y'all my heart dropped into my stomach
"Don't wish...Don't start.
Wishing only wounds the heart."

feca3b79-16b1-4d90-b2f5-1df8ce10c536_zps37cfddca.png?t=1422482021
Origin ID: Simintoxication

Comments

• Options
    Odonata68Odonata68 Posts: 1,076 Member
    edited May 2018
    Oh man! Sorry that happened! The only thing I have to suggest is use "save as" and name your save slightly different to the previous one. Then occasionally copy your "saves" file located in your sims 3 user file and put it in a safe place.
    Post edited by Odonata68 on
  • Options
    TinySpaceFoxTinySpaceFox Posts: 1,110 Member
    I’m really sorry about that, I hope it doesn’t happen again. If you’re okay with using mods, try NRaas Saver. It reminds you to save every 30 minutes (that’s a default setting, you can change this to be more or less frequent if you want), and every time you save, it saves the data to a different file. By default it cycles through four save files - so, at the first 30 minutes, you’ll be prompted to save your game as file A, and at 1 hour you’ll be prompted to save your game as file B, and so on. At 2 hours 30 minutes it’ll cycle back to file A again - though if you like you can increase or decrease the number of save files it cycles through. Hope this helps :>
  • Options
    TadOlsonTadOlson Posts: 11,380 Member
    I'd take a closer look at Modding the CPS social workers out of the game as those NPC ones removed children from a few of my oldest Modless games and those saves ended up getting corrupted.I lost two when errors occured while saving and the other one when It had a UI failure and refused to open so I deleted it.I always use save as except on a brand new game the fist time I save it and I rename each time I save.I am also playing my game very heavily Modded to remove the issues and fix glitches like the broken automated school assignments or the broken "story progression" commonly known as the EA bugfest.
    44620367775_0442f830c1_n.jpg
  • Options
    KarritzKarritz Posts: 21,923 Member
    When I've got a game I want to continue for a long time EVERY time I save I add a number to the end of it. I usually end up with hundreds of saves but I keep them all because I record them and make videos for YouTube and I often need to go back to the save I was on when I recorded the video to see what was actually going on or to rerecord something that didn't go so well in the original recording for whatever reason. Mostly because I actually failed to record it at all.

Since I know I'm most likely going to have hundreds of saves and I want to be able to sort them in order I use the same file name prefix for every save. Such As IP_Household then I add the numeric suffix. The first save might be called IP_Household001.sims3 and the 10th save would be IP_Household010.Sims3 and so on when I get to the 100th save it would be IP_Household100.sims3.

You don't have to keep all of your saves if you don't want to go back to every one of them so you can pick 5 or 10 numbers and cycle through them - or just delete the earlier ones once you're sure you don't want the keep them.

I always only have a few of the saves in my Saves folder. The Rest get moved out to a different backup folder that might be on my PC or on and external hard drive. Wherever it is saved I can always put it back into my active Saves folder whenever I need it.

I've recently come across some old saves I had burned to a DVD. They are from June and July 2009. It was a lot of fun to open them up again and see my old sims in action.
  • Options
    thuggishsplicerthuggishsplicer Posts: 1,747 Member
    I do as @Karritz does, but I have a different naming for my files. It's something like "SimName AP 2018-11108" where AP is the initials of the city, 2018 the year, 1 - game-year, 1- game-season, 1- game-Day (Sunday), 08 - game-hour. So, "Robert TB 2018-23406" would mean that this save is in Twinbrook, it's the second year, winter, Wednesday at 06 and I played that in 2018.

All in all, the best way to keep track of your saves is using "save as..." instead of "save". You may end up with heaps of saves, but you can choose which ones you'll backup (I don't back up them all). I also use Save Cleaner to make sure that the file will be light, but it can delete your paintings and photos.

Don't give up, everything will be fine!
  • Options
    SimKeatsSimKeats Posts: 2,186 Member
    You guys make me feel careless. I just save as with a numbered file related to whatever challenge/story, and delete most of the backup ones every time I load the game.
  • Options
    Bettyboop55Bettyboop55 Posts: 2,646 Member
    edited May 2018
    Poor OP what a lousy thing to happen. There should be an automated back up in your saves folder which might be worth a quick look to see if that is working ok. Otherwise I would follow the advice of others and save as each time with a numbered file. At least that will limit the amount of lost data should the unfortunate happen again. I also keep saved copies on an EHD but that's because I have a habit of damaging my laptops beyond repair :D

Good Luck in getting your game back to where it was.
    I no longer use Origin or My Page. You can find me on YouTube or Twitter as Bettyboop711000. You are welcome to contact me as I explore options for a PC sandbox life simulation game.
    Wherever I am friends call me Betty

Sim enim est vita
  • Options
    CororonCororon Posts: 4,276 Member
    I have lots of space so I backup the whole The Sims 3 folder to another drive in my PC and to an external drive. It's the easiest way to do it for me, and then all the CC, downloads, settings and so on, are backed up as well and not just the saves. How often I back up depends on what's happening in my game. I'm NOT going to lose anything! *shakes fist*
    cUrfGkA.gif
  • Options
    Achoo89Achoo89 Posts: 608 Member
    edited May 2018
    That blows!!! It’s happened to me before and it actually hurts so much! My other half doesn’t get how wrapped up you get and invested! He just said “ it’s just a game.” Nope they are our sims!!!
  • Options
    TadOlsonTadOlson Posts: 11,380 Member
    I have backed up my Electronic Arts folders and my SIms 3 folders which means everything is backed up instead of just saves.
    44620367775_0442f830c1_n.jpg
  • Options
    FinvolaFinvola Posts: 1,041 Member
    edited May 2018
    I've managed to recover wrecked saves before, but it's been a few years since I have done it and can't remember all the steps I took. Do you use Save Cleaner? I would run that every so often to clear up the bloat in the files. When all else failed, I would use Nraas Porter and pack everything up into a new save. I also got into the habit of making backups regularly because losing a bit of gameplay is a much better alternative than losing it all.

It might be worth a try to see if you can salvage your save first before restarting or re-doing it.
  • Options
    AmphoraAmphora Posts: 3,959 Member
    That’s horrible! Sorry that happened :/

I had that happen to me a few times but I save some of my favorite sims to my bin or in CAS so they end up living again in new saves. Still not the same though, especially when all the family connections are lost.
  • Options
    SimpleIntoxicationSimpleIntoxication Posts: 282 Member
    Just an update, I was able to back to the last save available and it was only about a months worth of time difference. Thanks to cheats I was able to get the game right back to where I was, it just took 45 minutes and LOTS of cheats. My story continues on! Haha

• Options
    SimplyJenSimplyJen Posts: 14,828 Member
    Bu the important thing is... are you going to make backups from now on? :p It's a good habit to make even if you're just doing 'Save as' and keeping a few saves at a time.
    i7-13700K • 16GB • RTX 4070
    S3 simblr: http://simplysimming.tumblr.com/
    S4 simblr: http://simlogic.tumblr.com/
  • Options
    SimpleIntoxicationSimpleIntoxication Posts: 282 Member
    Yeah definitely going to be doing save as lol I learned that lesson!

• Options
    JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    edited May 2018
    Glad you managed to continue! My tips are:
    • Always save as and number your files
    • Make a habit out of saving at a particular moment in the game (for me that’s as soon as they go to bed; it’s become an automatism)

When a save is corrupted by the way, you can save all the sims that matter to you (your household and eventual family members and friends living elsewhere) to the bin. Start a brand new game and put everybody in there. All their skills and possessions/inventory will still be there, as are their relationships within one household. You can restore family ties outside your household using NRaas Mastercontroller.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    Rflong7Rflong7 Posts: 36,588 Member
    Commiserating with all.... Been there and done that, too. :cookie: